Should I buy a PlayStation 5 or an Xbox Series X?

Avatar image for deactivated-62017c93aa52f
deactivated-62017c93aa52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-62017c93aa52f
Member since 2021 • 8 Posts

I am wanting to purchase a next gen console. However I can only get one, so now I ask, should it be the PlayStation 5 or the Xbox Series X

Avatar image for deactivated-62017c93aa52f
deactivated-62017c93aa52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-62017c93aa52f
Member since 2021 • 8 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Manly just RPG's, I'm heading towards Xbox (due to gamepass) but I want to get a second opinion.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

I'd go with your intuition over someone else on the internet. While I like my PS5, no means do I have enough experience with the new Xbox to vote against it.

Am aware many games I play on my PlayStation are not on Microsoft's console however, and that was the simple deciding factor for me. Along with many of my friends being on PlayStation likewise. Games from Vanillaware, Fire Pro, and Demon's Souls Remake. The PS5 machine also comes with Astro Bot Playroom which is an enjoyable 3D platformer in its own right.

I'd still recommend going with an Xbox, if that is what your gut is telling you.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

Yeah, I can't pick for you here. I have a PS5 as I enjoy Sony's first party offerings. (I do have Xbox One S though) Not sure about the rpg offerings on GP unless you are talking about Fallout/Elder Scrolls/Outer Worlds style. Then yeah, you are set.

I really don't think there is a wrong choice here and if your gut is saying Xbox then definitely go with your gut.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

If your into western rpg's the Xbox will be perfect looking at the future releases. If you like sony first party you can't go wrong with the ps5.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12944 Posts

I own both, and I can say both are worthy of a purchase. You need to decide based on:

• Games that interest you
  • If you want to game with other friends/family that are on the same ecosystem
  • Services. Do any of the services appeal to you more than the other?
seaside92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By seaside92
Member since 2021 • 75 Posts

I would go for Xbox Series X. Playstation since PS4 has been too much focused on interactive movies rather than video games. Or at best i would go for Nintendo Switch, but what i like about Xbox is the controllers doesnt have inbuilt battery. Things with inbuilt batteries explode over time if it has been there for too long, and so i dont like that companies do that. But Xbox controller you can buy changable batteries and problem solved.

What i do think Switch is good at is physical games, but i do hope Nintendo in the future is gonna drop inbuilt battery thing and allow users to change batteries. Since its dirty business tactics that greedy corporations use like people who buy brick phones where you cant change batteries "unlike Nokia classic which rules"

But basically, i would go for Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

RPG's? Then you will like Sony's third person stuff. You will get most 3rd party stuff minus Bethesda.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

Whatever offers you what YOU are looking for. As anyone else's opinion will be either straight up biased with strong under & over tones of complete unmasked fanboyism (see Seaside92) or will pretend to be thoughtful & unbiased, but in the end we all have our favourites.....Even if only just a little...

GP offers excellent value for money right now, but doesn't yet have a lot to offer in the way of 1st party excellence, but that changes with Halo & Forza if those genres interest you.

Sony has great 1st party experiences at the ready now BUT they are pricey as Sony in it's infinite wisdom decided to be a$$holes & up their game prices they also have a couple of nice timed exclusives, again if you're into those genres.

Then there are differences in the machines, SSD is easier on MS's console as they have extremely pricey cards that slot straight in (although biggest I think is only 1tb), whereas Sony allows any compat ssd card to slot in, BUT it is not straight forward & although a little bit cheaper for same size, you lose convenience. Sony also FAILS to offer a QHD resolution if you only have a monitor/screen that does QHD & higher fps, whereas SX offers that feature.

So YOU need to research what suits YOU! The rest is fluff.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Just because of Game Pass I would say get an Xbox. But it depends what kind of stuff you play.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
@seaside92 said:

I would go for Xbox Series X. Playstation since PS4 has been too much focused on interactive movies rather than video games.

I wish this dumb meme was shot in the face. I'm assuming by this statement you mean games like Uncharted and the latest God of War which have a lot of walking n' talking?

It's blatantly not true- Bloodborne, Dragon's Crown, Tearaway: Unfolded, P.T., Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Astro Bot Playroom, Gravity Daze, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Fire Pro Wrestling World, Odin Sphere, Shadow of the Beast, Demon's Souls Remake, Dreams, Everybody's Golf, MediEvil, MLB series, Wipeout Omega, Sakura Wars, Nex Machina.

^And those are ones just at the top of my head.

Even if you prefer one system over the other, would appreciate keeping the nonsense to System-Wars.

seaside92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 seaside92

@RSM-HQ:

You hit the nail on the head mentioning Uncharted but yeah. I sold PS4 mainly because i got that trilogy on PS4. It was that bad. Played first one for 30 min, nothing but run listening to some jock talking run some more, few actions run some more... was so awful

Some are unfairly called interactive movies. Example is Heavy Rain, which is cinematic but you solve clues and do stuff in it basically.

But Ratchet and Clank was better on PS2. Stopped being much into them after PS3 "exception is Tools of Destruction" but they became way too Pixar asthethic for my taste.

But Xbox is more for me is all. But Ps1 and Ps2 were great

seaside92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 seaside92

@RSM-HQ: I cant comment on God of War, i never played those "well i tried it on PS Vita before i sold it" i think first one is good so far as i played it... but it got cookie easier with 2nd game where you just could slash through anything.

First one seems well designed because you cant just hit enemies automatically. You have to beat them in some way to beat them. So they arent made of butter and has some challenge to it

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 677 Posts

I would lean for the xbox series x for now, but neither console has reached a good level of games yet.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
@seaside92 said:

@RSM-HQ:

You hit the nail on the head mentioning Uncharted but yeah. I sold PS4 mainly because i got that trilogy on PS4. It was that bad. Played first one for 30 min, nothing but run listening to some jock talking run some more, few actions run some more... was so awful

Yes indeed the campaigns are really difficult from a pacing point of view. I also hate the controller being taken from me, very annoying lol.

U2 can be fun for one playthrough but so much walking!. . . and that last boss 'was that a boss'?

I would defend the second game purely for its interesting multiplayer modes, which sadly Sony felt wasn't worth the trouble on PS4, shame really. Uncharted 3 however had a pay to win model that ruined all the multiplayer modes, so perhaps that's why Sony didn't bother.

But Ratchet and Clank was better on PS2. Stopped being much into them after PS3 "exception is Tools of Destruction" but they became way too Pixar asthethic for my taste.

Would not sleep on Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. It is widely considered the best game in the series.

Though you make a fine point that the PS2 games are very fun and artistically had a different look and feel.

More overall prefer the whole bouncy Pixar/ Dreamworks artstyle but I understand having a love for how it looked on the 128-bit system. Ratchet looks like a completely different character in PS3's Tools onwards.

cant comment on God of War, i never played those "well i tried it on PS Vita before i sold it" i think first one is good so far as i played it... but it got cookie easier with 2nd game where you just could slash through anything.

First one seems well designed because you cant just hit enemies automatically. You have to beat them in some way to beat them. So they arent made of butter and has some challenge to it

God of War (IV) on PS4 is quite different from the Sands of Time/ Devil May Cry inspired entries of old. It has its moments of glory but overall God of War (IV) tries to be way more like The Last of Us and Uncharted.

I would even argue that because the game has such an identity crisis it is tough putting up with some of the design decisions made with the game. Granted, after the blunder that was Ascension they had to change the franchise, as they buried themselves in a pit. Not to mention the GoW team was responsible for the dreaded Smash Bros clone as well. .

But Xbox is more for me is all. But Ps1 and Ps2 were great

I have no doubt that people owning an Xbox Series X have a ton of fun playing it. I had a 360 and base Xbox and had a lot of fun with Halo, Gears of War, Ninja Gaiden, 'and a game that everyone forgets about' Metal Wolf Chaos.

However regardless if it is down to memes/ shitposting, or just some being obliviously bias to a system; focusing on the Uncharted's and Last of Us. . I think some are too quick to loose track on what each these systems actually offer.

And if we be blunt, none of these systems are actually a bad choice. Some just have certain aspects that will speak more to one person over another. And that is a'ok in my books. Variety is the spice of life!

TC was feeling the new Xbox though and likes what GamePass has to offer, so I recommended the Xbox.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

Personally I went with PS5 mainly because of Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West. Looking at the game lineup there wasn't really any exclusive games for Xbox Series X/S that interested me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RSM-HQ

@heljar said:

Personally I went with PS5 mainly because of Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West. Looking at the game lineup there wasn't really any exclusive games for Xbox Series X/S that interested me.

Think one of the biggest draws to Xbox right now is the ability to play games from every generation of console and not pay the bogus remaster fee that Nintendo and Sony do for games like The Last of Us and Super Mario Galaxy. Gamepass also gives access to try out a large list of games at minimal cost, all games owned by Micorsoft as well are permanently on the service, including a wide range of Bethesdas best games.

For newer games Microsoft is certainly taking the L, though I've read Sea of Thieves is really good compared to when it was released. Future looks bright as well for Microsoft unless they pull more Scalebounds. .

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

PC

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

I had both; I returned my Series X for a full refund after blowing through a few games during my Gamepass trial. I know people hype up gamepass but what gives me so much more value than gamepass is my local library where I can borrow games for free (and on the PS5, the selection destroys gamepass) and the fact that my friends also are on playstation so I can just borrow discs from them.

I'm basically overwhelmed with amazing games to play with my Switch PS5 pair

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

If you’re a gamer, then just go with that. I’d say it depends heavily on whether you prefer new games or old games.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Neither is worth owning at the moment.

80%+ of the games that will ever be released on the two platforms will be common

If you are into multi-player then what your friends own should be a consideration. If you are a single player gamer then your friends are only relevant if you actually borrow, loan, share games.

You state RPG as your fave genre. If you mean western style RPGs then Xbox should be your choice as they own more studios in that space and therefore they will have more options than PS. If JRPGs are your thing then the opposite is true as PS will always have more 3rd party support from Japan.

And if western RPGs are your thing then the cost advantage of gamepass is magnified.