Should Dwarves sound Scottish? (A Dragon Age question.)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1 shaunmc
Member since 2003 • 1957 Posts

I just completed the Orzamar section in Dragon Age, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself, "Boy I wish these Dwarves had Scottish accents." Am I the only one here? I blame this guy:

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
"My cousin Balin would give us a rrroyal welcome. rroaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone!" :D
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
maybe its my american speaking, but scottish sounding dwarves wouldve added another touch of color to that particular race. still, im betting all of scotland gave a unanimous "yay! we arent being typecast as short fiery alcoholics anymore!"
TylerW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TylerW
Member since 2002 • 451 Posts

"Ahh loike blow'n things oup"

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I thought it was more jarring that all the elves sounded American in a land filled with Brits :P.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

YES!

I wrote this a couple of months ago in the Dragon Age thread:

By the way, I'm kind of disappointed that the elves and dwarves have American accents. Everything was going so well, Fereldans had British accents, Orlesians French, I believe the people from the Free Marches are the ones with the Russian accents...it makes sense that the Qunari have American accents since they're from a distant unknown land. I was so impressed that every nation had a distinct accent as opposed to everyone speaking perfect American, but BioWare dropped the ball with the dwarves and the elves. Dwarves should have Scottish accents. They tend to say "sod off" a lot and it just sounds weird when an American says it. Elves, hmm...Irish perhaps? Maybe even Indian since the Ferelden/Elf situation is obviously inspired by the American/European oppression of the Native Americans.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
never thought about it, but that is true, scottish accents woulda been nice.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

If not Scottish then Yorkshire. Yorkshire is the accent they used for the female dwarves in World of Warcraft, it works just as well.

shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shaunmc
I think what's weirdest is that the Dwarves and the Elves basically have the same accents, even though the Dwarves isolate themselves underground. They should really sound more exotic than plain ol' Vanilla American accents. Hell, I'd have settled for a thick Maritime Canadian accent.
mechberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mechberg
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Dwarves should not sound like they come from Missouri.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Scottish Dwarves FTW.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Why? Do all Dwarves hail from Scotland? :P

I do agree, though. A little more variety in the voice acting in DA would have been nice. Honestly, I'd love to hear voice acting similar to Brad Pitt's gypsy voice in the movie "Snatch". If for no other reason it would be fun to try to figure out what they are saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

I just completed the Orzamar section in Dragon Age, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself, "Boy I wish these Dwarves had Scottish accents." Am I the only one here? I blame this guy:

shaunmc

Rather coincidentally, you've used the word "Dwarves" in your post, a word which has now been popularised by Tolkien, but as he points out in the Hobbit, is incorrect. The proper english plural of Dwarf is Dwarfs.

Quite a lot of fantasy cliches come from Tolkien, actually.

Edit: Dear god that was a nerdy comment. I apologise.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#15 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

I find it funny that Dragon Age was a reunion for the cast of Star Trek Voyager it seemed.

Also, I agree with the original point for one reason. Scottish people generally have the highest proportion of red/copper colored hair in any population, it would only make sense that aside from being short (not that Scots are mind you), they do at least have somewhat of the right appearance to match the accent.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
I'm curious why dwarves have been typecast as having Scottich accents, anyways... I mean with their love of beer, you would think they were from more of a German influence, the homeland of Octoberfest!
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I think what's weirdest is that the Dwarves and the Elves basically have the same accents, even though the Dwarves isolate themselves underground. They should really sound more exotic than plain ol' Vanilla American accents. Hell, I'd have settled for a thick Maritime Canadian accent. shaunmc
I'd like my Dwarves to sound like Newfie, need a dictionary to know what they are saying but would be interesting.
eagle63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 eagle63
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts

heh...if thats the case shouldnt the city elves sound "getto"? and no im not racist but i am a smartass

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
They're just taking their own creative liberties with traditional fantasy lore, much as Twilight takes liberties with traditional vampire lore.
shaunmc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shaunmc

[QUOTE="shaunmc"]

kamikaze_pigmy

Rather coincidentally, you've used the word "Dwarves" in your post, a word which has now been popularised by Tolkien, but as he points out in the Hobbit, is incorrect. The proper english plural of Dwarf is Dwarfs.

Comment of the day!
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
"Thunder humper!"
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Now I might want to check out Dragon Age a little earlier than I expected. Dwarfs who don't have Scottish accents eh?
Flamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Flamuel
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

Yes becuase dwarves only became popluar after tolkin and he had them with dwarven accents which sounded scottish.

nowayjose09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nowayjose09
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts

Yes becuase dwarves only became popluar after tolkin and he had them with dwarven accents which sounded scottish.

Flamuel

just wait 'til you SEE a scotch, then you'll see the parallel :)

just kidding - am part scottish anyway so no h8n on me :D

Sunsence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sunsence
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

I don't get it still... Even after playing WoW for sometime. Why in the world would you give a character that is not taller then 3,5ft. a Scottish accent... Have you ever seen Scottish their build like houses, ok the women are a bit small sometimes (lengthwise). If you gonna go for accent give 'em Japanese accents. xD

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#26 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I don't get it still... Even after playing WoW for sometime. Why in the world would you give a character that is not taller then 3,5ft. a Scottish accent... Have you ever seen Scottish their build like houses, ok the women are a bit small sometimes (lengthwise). If you gonna go for accent give 'em Japanese accents. xD

Sunsence

You don't get it because you connect the two by looking at their physical attributes rather than attitude and personality. :wink:

Sunsence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sunsence
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

[QUOTE="Sunsence"]

UpInFlames

You don't get it because you connect the two by looking at their physical attributes rather than attitude and personality. :wink:

Yo didn't notice the xD? Implying not being that serious

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Of course they should. Irish accents should have a place in such medieval fantasy epics as well, however.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hexagon_777

I thought it was more jarring that all the elves sounded American in a land filled with Brits :P.Silent-Hal

The elves sound American? Wtf? :?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="shaunmc"]I just completed the Orzamar section in Dragon Age, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself, "Boy I wish these Dwarves had Scottish accents." Am I the only one here? I blame this guy:

kamikaze_pigmy

Both seem to be valid.And why is the only plural of elf "elves" then?

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
So...I can say "two halfs"? :P
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

shaunmc
Yes! I did the same thing. I understand that they probably don't need to have them, but it does trigger my mind a little... what happened to your accent? Times are changing though, dwarves can have any accent they want.