Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne PS2 the best in the series.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skygear70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Skygear70
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Okay I know there are debates among JRPG fans, but I say that Nocturne is probably the only "REAL" SMT game released in the States. I know I'm not the only person who feels that way since maybe that's why Nocturne is the most desired out of the SMT series over Persona and Digital Devil Saga. Most of the time, you have to pay an arm or a leg for rare Atlus games, but I just recently picked up this baby for $30 :) It looks like GQD reprinted more and has it on their site for $50, but you can use coupon code: GPNOCTURNE and get it for $29.99. There recently was a Retro Rewind article written for Nocturne on Game Podunk that also mentions the coupon: http://www.gamepodunk.com/forum/podunk-editorials/5982-retro-rewind-shin-megami-tensi-nocturne.html#post36741 Anyways, Nocturne is a well praised game and definately passed the test of time.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Okay I know there are debates among JRPG fans, but I say that Nocturne is probably the only "REAL" SMT game released in the States. I know I'm not the only person who feels that way since maybe that's why Nocturne is the most desired out of the SMT series over Persona and Digital Devil Saga. Most of the time, you have to pay an arm or a leg for rare Atlus games, but I just recently picked up this baby for $30 :) It looks like GQD reprinted more and has it on their site for $50, but you can use coupon code: GPNOCTURNE and get it for $29.99. There recently was a Retro Rewind article written for Nocturne on Game Podunk that also mentions the coupon: http://www.gamepodunk.com/forum/podunk-editorials/5982-retro-rewind-shin-megami-tensi-nocturne.html#post36741 Anyways, Nocturne is a well praised game and definately passed the test of time. Skygear70
Nocturn is undebatably the only main series Shin Megami Tensei game in States. Persona, Devil Summoner, Digital Demon Saga are not part of the main series and techincally are spin-off and that's a fact. (ironic that Persona has 4th game while the main series has only 3 games) and yes, i started playing nocturne recently, and it's one of the best JRPG i have ever played. I wish they make 4th one soon
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
GQD? Atlus is the publisher. They are the only ones who do reprints for their games, and they have been reprinting Nocturne for about 2 years, now. They also made reprints of DDS1... the one they haven't reprinted is DDS2. So, DDS2 is the one that's most sought after, right now.
FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts
Glad to see some core JRPG lovers here :D I absolutely LOVE the SMT series. Every game I can get my hands on, I don't import though. DS, DDS, and Persona are some of my favorite and most loved JRPGs. I do agree with the OP though, Nocturne is amazing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I've yet to try Nocturne. Hearing good things though!
Skygear70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Skygear70
GQD? Atlus is the publisher. They are the only ones who do reprints for their games, and they have been reprinting Nocturne for about 2 years, now. They also made reprints of DDS1... the one they haven't reprinted is DDS2. So, DDS2 is the one that's most sought after, right now.Threesixtyci
It's always the original publisher who makes the game but they only do it when companies like GQD commissions it first.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Threesixtyci

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]GQD? Atlus is the publisher. They are the only ones who do reprints for their games, and they have been reprinting Nocturne for about 2 years, now. They also made reprints of DDS1... the one they haven't reprinted is DDS2. So, DDS2 is the one that's most sought after, right now.Skygear70
It's always the original publisher who makes the game but they only do it when companies like GQD commissions it first.

"Only"? Wasn't that long ago that Atlus put out copiesthru Amazon. And Gamestop was selling new copies, as used for bothDDS1 and Nocturne.

Skygear70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skygear70

[QUOTE="Skygear70"][QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]GQD? Atlus is the publisher. They are the only ones who do reprints for their games, and they have been reprinting Nocturne for about 2 years, now. They also made reprints of DDS1... the one they haven't reprinted is DDS2. So, DDS2 is the one that's most sought after, right now.Threesixtyci

"Only"? Wasn't that long ago that Atlus put out copies from Amazon. And Gamestop was sellingsealed copies,as used.... (Both, DDS1 and Nocturne)

GQD, Amazon, GameStop, whoever it is, Atlus won't reprint thousands on their own without getting guaranteed commission to make them. The reprints are great but most are niche and not big enough to justify sitting on thousands of extra copies. That would be bad for publishers and also GQD is known to get products first and then sell to other retailers like GameStop, FRY, etc.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Threesixtyci
The thing is that Atlus' storefront is thru Amazon.com. They gave away a 10 dollar Amazon voucher a while back saying so. Remember them also doing a special reprint of PS1's Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and they let their public know via their Atlus Faithful newsletter. (They lasted about 5 hours before being sold out, I think....). So, Atlus USA, sometimes does stuff without any guaranteed commission. They just do it in real low quanities. Recall one of their newsletters saying their being reprints of Nocturne and best get them before the Ebay ninja's grab them all... Was about 8 months later that you could find copies of Nocturne just about everywhere. Although, now, Nocturne is harder to find sealed, again. My guess is either GQD is getting a direct supply (like you say), or they just haven't run out of their reprint stock, while everyone else has. Which wouldn't surprise me, being that Amazon and Playasia are a lot more well known than GameQuestDirect.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I was actually debating on what Shin Megami game to get next. I was debating either Digital Devil Saga 1, Nocturne, or the new Devil Survivor for the DS.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I can't wait to play it. ( I ordered it two days ago.)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nocturne was excellent, but I still like Persona 4 better. I just love the social aspect of Persona 3 and 4, and that's why they are higher up on my list in terms of SMT games. Nocturne is still one of the better RPGs I've played though.

I also got Nocturne for 30 bucks awhile ago from Amazon brand new and sealed. It was their Deal of the Day and I ordered that sucker real quick :P

noobbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 noobbreaker
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts

Noctourne was great!!!! capturign monsters combining monsters!! I can't believe i didn't finish this game i got lost in the upside down school and never finished. This was a great game. I never got to play the rest to many other games.

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts

Nocturne is a great game but it's way too difficult. I was having a good time with it but when I reached that skeleton matador (the one with fire attacks), I stopped playing. It was soooooooooooooooooo hard. I didn't even manage to do some good damage to him before dying -.-