Seriously thinking of abandoning Nintendo for good

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nep321a
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

I'm 29 years old, single and have been gaming since I was 10 years old, when I got a Game Boy as my first system. Since then, I have owned every Nintendo console and handheld (except VB). Up until I was in college, I would play games for about 20 hrs per week. But now I only play less than 5 hours per week. Sometimes months go by with no play time, however. Currently, I own a Wii U and recently sold my 3DS. I have both Mario games for Wii U and they were excellent. DKC, MK8 and SSB look good, too. But.....

I'm seriously sick of Nintendo. I know.....they are one of the most successful game developers out there, with a legacy of industry involvement, and the top 15 best selling games of all time are made by Nintendo. But, I feel like it was more fun when I was younger and lived with the family. Now, being single, games like Mario Kart and SSB just aren't that fun when living alone. And even Mario and Zelda have become not quite as exciting as they used to be.

I'm also sick and tired of Nintendo not being up to par with current technology standards. They're always half a generation behind. Terrible online services, outdated interfaces, toyish looking controllers, consoles and handhelds and the list goes on.

Also....why the hell does Sony produce a wider range of exclusives, many of which are good quality? In the meantime, Nintendo just keeps milking Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. It's so annoying.

I think I'm going to sell my Wii U and purchase a PS4 as soon as possible. It provides so many superior experiences for an adult single person who values cutting edge technology and the simplicity of using a console in the living room (I hate PC's so don't even go there).

Overall, Nintendo is fantastic for children and families, but clearly, they don't care about technology, new IP's, adult gamers and online gaming.

Has anyone else ever done this? Abandoned Nintendo and never looked back? I mean, the Wii U is selling significantly worse than GameCube, even.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Okay. If they don't appeal to you, then that is your choice.

Personally, I haven't ever reached a point where I wanted to abandon them. I don't need every game to have some sort of online functionality, nor do I need every game I play to be some technical marvel, so the Wii U having weaker hardware and online isn't really an issue to me, for the most part. As long as Mario kart 8 and SSB4 have GOOD online multiplayer, I'll be satisfied.

Also I wouldn't say Nintendo doesn't care about adult gamers or online gaming, though they certainly do a bad job trying to deal with either and are pretty out of touch in that regard.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Oddly enough a lot of their hardcore fans ARE adults. People who grew up on their games. Part of the problem they face now is that they are losing kids and families. If they still had them, they'd be in much better shape. (those are the groups that played a big part in the Wii phenomenon) I think you need to slow down and take your time on these kinds of decisions. In your posting history, not three months ago you declared Wii U your system of choice and praised Nintendo roundly.

Maybe it would be best to just slow down, maybe even take a break from gaming for a while, and make sure that if you do sell your system that you don't do it in a moment of passion. Just my two cents as someone who has been there and done that.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nep321a

I grew up with Nintendo as well. They still make some great games today, but very very few. Barely any new IP's, and barely any third party support. They're nothing like what they used to be in the 80's and 90's. And around the year 2001, it all started going downhill from there.

Four months ago I did purchase the Wii U, but mainly for one reason. I was excited for SM3DW. I played it, beat it, and it was superb. But I'm tired of the same franchises over and over, to the point that I don't even look forward to them anymore so much. If they were to announce or unveil a new Zelda game tomorrow, I wouldn't care. The ONLY game that I would be truly excited for, if they were to announce, would be a new EarthBound game for the Wii U. And it must be a fully 3D solid adventure/RPG. Sadly, that won't happen.

It's just very disenchanting, because I know how Nintendo was back in the 90's when I was a kid. But for some reason, they can't deliver on the same excitement now. No new IP's that are a big deal.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Perhaps it would be worth looking into getting a PS4 to sit alongside your Wii U. That way you can play the games exclusive to each system and not miss out on potentially great Wii U software in the future. However the choice is yours, but if you can afford it, I would say multiple consoles are the way to go as you can have the best of both worlds. Obviously though if money is tight and you can not, or do not, want to do that, then consider what future line ups appeal to you the most and go with that.

Saying all that, I kind of agree with you about the Wii U. I was interested when Nintendo first announced the system, but there is such a shortage in software that I would play on it that it has become something I probably wont buy (I skipped the Wii as well as I really did not like the motion controls when I tried a friends system). Perhaps Nintendo will turn it around though and maybe this E3 they will have some great exclusive software on show which blows us all away. That would be pretty cool to see, the more competition, the better for us as consumers.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Randolph

@nep321a said:

Four months ago I did purchase the Wii U, but mainly for one reason. I was excited for SM3DW. I played it, beat it, and it was superb.

I did the same thing, thought I had moved on, but then Mario 3D World just looked so delicious. Nostalgia has a powerful effect on me. I had the opposite experience though, I ended up not liking Mario 3D World at all. Frankly, I found the game boring. Which has never happened to me with a main series Mario game before. So I was out the money I spent on it, barely got back about a quarter of my initial investment and got stuck with the download vouchers that came with it. (it was the Zelda WW bundle, but I found someone to give those away to) I bought it in a moment of passion, and made a mistake that cost me money.

Thats why I advise you to take your time making this decision, you never know, they may make another game you absolutely feel compelled to play and you'll have to buy the system yet again to do it. Of course, if you don't want to or cannot spend the money to own both, go ahead and make that change. Wii U is just not a good primary console, the third party support and few and far between first party games make that hard for me to imagine.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Nintendo are pretty much the only company I consistently buy console games from. I like that they've maintained realistic development budgets. I don't mind that they don't make what lots of people consider AAA games, for a company that people insist are behind the times they routinely make other developers seem almost amateurish. Super Mario 3D World, despite being on a console everyone seems to think is underpowered, is easily one of the best looking games I've ever played and makes many, many recent attempts at 3D platformers look incompetent. And while lots of small teams have been churning out 2D platformers recently, DKC:TF is so tight and polished it's in a whole other league. Nintendo as a game developer just operate on a whole other level to the vast majority of studios when it comes to game design.

Their continued focus on excellent games that are worth the money will see me continue to buy their games. Their shunning of recent trends like obnoxious exclusive DLC practices and microtransactions are just some added reasons why I'd much prefer to give them my money than anyone else.

Granted I mainly game on PC these days, and will probably buy a PS4 when some interesting games appear, I'm not a one platform guy, but Nintendo games are a very, very easy sell for me. One of the few developers out there that just want to make fun video games and consistently deliver.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nep321a

@Randolph said:

@nep321a said:

Four months ago I did purchase the Wii U, but mainly for one reason. I was excited for SM3DW. I played it, beat it, and it was superb.

I did the same thing, thought I had moved on, but then Mario 3D World just looked so delicious. Nostalgia has a powerful effect on me. I had the opposite experience though, I ended up not liking Mario 3D World at all. Frankly, I found the game boring. Which has never happened to me with a main series Mario game before. So I was out the money I spent on it, barely got back about a quarter of my initial investment and got stuck with the download vouchers that came with it. (it was the Zelda WW bundle, but I found someone to give those away to) I bought it in a moment of passion, and made a mistake that cost me money.

Thats why I advise you to take your time making this decision, you never know, they may make another game you absolutely feel compelled to play and you'll have to buy the system yet again to do it. Of course, if you don't want to or cannot spend the money to own both, go ahead and make that change. Wii U is just not a good primary console, the third party support and few and far between first party games make that hard for me to imagine.

SM3DW boring??? Wow. If you found that game boring, then I would imagine that all other Mario games are boring as well. Anyway....to each his own.

Anyway, I've always been a single console gamer, because owning multiple consoles encourages me to spend even more money on games. It also diminishes the value of owning a console, because you have to pass up on games that you would have played had you only owned that one console. But now with two consoles, you have to only pick the cream of the crop games to play on each one. I prefer owning just one console. Besides, I'm not one to spend obscene amounts of time playing games. Maybe 5 hours a week.

What is the likelihood that Nintendo will develop a new 3D EarthBound game for the Wii U?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Randolph

@nep321a said:

]What is the likelihood that Nintendo will develop a new 3D EarthBound game for the Wii U?

Zero. Nada, nill, and none are also good descriptors.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm 25 and I'll be sticking with them until they stop producing games that focus on quality gameplay ,level design, creativity, and challenge. They are still in their prime right now in those regards.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is nothing short of a masterpiece in game design. Absolute perfection on a disc.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I feel the same about Microsoft these days. They just don't have the games I care about playing any more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
deactivated-5c072abf2e969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c072abf2e969
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

I decided I would never buy another NINTENDO system after what they did with the Wii, but the Wii U has turned around pretty well and they are actually doing pretty well so I bought a Wii U. I have a 3DS, but im going to sell that cos those games are either inferior version of their counterparts on the Wii U (ala SM3D Land vs World) or the games don't appeal to me.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nep321a

But then again, I fear that if I get a PS4 I might eventually get bored with it, too, because the games are essentially interactive movies, whereas the games on Nintendo systems are more like real games with gameplay substance. It seems like 90% of the PS4 games depend on anger, guns and darkness in order to sell to consumers. Almost every game involves a gun now. Even the PS2 had a broader range of violent vs. nonviolent games. Although...the PS4 has lots of Indie games with some that are colorful and fun.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bigboi500

@nep321a: That's why it's best to have more than one console. Last gen I had all three consoles, but this gen I'm sticking with the Wii U and PS4 so all my bases are covered.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nep321a

@Bigboi500 said:

@nep321a: That's why it's best to have more than one console. Last gen I had all three consoles, but this gen I'm sticking with the Wii U and PS4 so all my bases are covered.

I guess.....it's just really expensive that way...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I grew up with Nintendo and am an adult gamer but I still love their franchise games like Mario and Zelda. I do understand why the frustration you have with them on the tech aspect though and their online services. Ever since the N64 I've been merely buying Nintendo consoles just to play their franchise games and the other systems for everything else. It can be a bit expensive to initially purchase multiple consoles at first but then you can just budget the games like you usually do but with more games available to choose from you may have to sacrifice on getting all the games you want. Still games always get cheaper later on so you can just wait and get some games later. I'd recommend keeping your Wii U and get another system. It's better to choose to hold off on buying something instead of not being able to get a game because you don't have the system to play it on.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I don't have a WiiU and the Wii was my daughter's machine, not mine. But I still wouldn't say I've abandoned Nintendo. I like my 3DS, and I'm starting to want a WiiU.

Thing with Nintendo, is you always know what you're getting with them. They will always make a high quality product, even if it's not a product I'm particularly interested in. I don't like Donkey Kong Country, and I never have. But I know for a fact that it'll be a quality product or they probably wouldn't have released it.

I don't want Nintendo to disappear or go away, but it had gotten less exciting to try and support them. I haven't really been gung ho for a NIntendo platform since the Gamecube, which was an amazing machine with enough great exclusives and a perfect price point. The Wii was a good price point, but a lousy machine for me because even if I wanted to dance around in front of my television, which I don't, but even if I did I cannot. I'm old and I live in pain and I have a lot of clutter in the house making that kind of gaming useless to me. The WiiU seems to be a step in the right direction, but it still hasn't managed to endear itself to me. Mostly because that while I know NIntendo will build a quality product, I also know exactly what that product will entail. Bouncing on Goombas, hunting down the Hookshot, or finding the Morphball. And while those things are all fun, I've done them too many times to get a nostalgic charge from them anymore. So everything since Wind Waker and Prime have felt like more of the same while Mario is always fun but not really exciting anymore.

I still love Nintendo. I loved playing games with my daughter and most of them were Nintendo titles. Mario Kart Double Dash and Wind Waker. Viewtiful Joe or Soul Calubur. We played all of those on Nintendo machines and it was great. But I need a bit more before I can hop up and down for the WiiU. Maybe Bayonetta will be the game to get me into their latest machine. Or maybe not, we'll just have to see.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nep321a

Well, I just went to Walmart and happened to purchase DKC:TF while I was shopping. I figured I'll give the Wii U another chance. However, while I was shopping in the store, I happened to see a rack of boy's shirts with DK images printed on the shirts, making me feel like the Wii U and Nintendo in general is targeted towards kids and families :(

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Randolph

@nep321a said:

Well, I just went to Walmart and happened to purchase DKC:TF while I was shopping. I figured I'll give the Wii U another chance. However, while I was shopping in the store, I happened to see a rack of boy's shirts with DK images printed on the shirts, making me feel like the Wii U and Nintendo in general is targeted towards kids and families :(

I have a Donkey Kong shirt, and I'm 33. It's targeted towards everyone. Nintendo's core franchises like DK have far more appeal with adults than kids these days.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nep321a

@Randolph said:

@nep321a said:

I have a Donkey Kong shirt, and I'm 33. It's targeted towards everyone. Nintendo's core franchises like DK have far more appeal with adults than kids these days.

Yeah I noticed that. My younger cousins and brother, who are currently in college, simply don't care about DK. They like Mario though, but not as much as I do. They all have a Wii U (probably because I was the big bro who influenced them lol) but mainly for the upcoming SSB game, which they love to play.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Randolph said:

@nep321a said:

When I was in college I used to wear a Street Fighter 2 T-shirt to class at least once a week. It was always fun when someone would recognize what it was. I'd often get someone pointing at the shirt and giving me a nod in the hallways or while I was out at the smoker's table. :)

And I missed classed more than once when they'd release a new version of the game at my local Putt-Putt. lol

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

i'm 32 and have been a Nintendo fan since i was a kid, not sure what your beef is but imho the Nintendo WiiU is perhaps the last of the truly great consoles, one of the main reasons i love it is because it focuses mainly on the sp experience rather than allowing online multicrap to sh!t on everything, Nintendo understands that some of us just want to sit down and have an enjoyable gaming experience WITHOUT online mp being forced in our faces every time we sit down to play a game, and so long as they keep this up and continue to not sell out to the online multidiot community they will always have my respect.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nep321a

Well, I just spent the past 90 minutes playing DKC:TF and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. It just isn't that fun. A few months ago I had a blast with SM3DW, and didn't play anything since then. But here is my opinion of DKC so far (I'm in the middle of World 2).....it just feels generic. The level design isn't really exciting or memorable. It's not bad, but it's just.....generic. The graphics are pretty good for the most part, and the soundtrack is decent, too. Now I feel stupid for getting the game. I also really don't like the cartoony graphics. Cartoony graphics work well for Mario, and even Zelda, but not DKC, in my opinion. Why can't they make it realistic, kind of like the DKC games on SNES? So annoying. The controls are also slightly clunky and heavy feeling, compared to the SNES games. I'm sorry, but the SNES DKC games were just better.

Mario Kart 8 looks great in HD and all, but it looks like more of the same gameplay. I mean geez, how many iterations of MK are they going to make? It was great when I lived with my family, as a kid and played multiplayer with brothers and stuff, but what is a single 29 year old who lives alone going to do with Mario Kart at home? I'd probably play through to experience all the stages and beat all the Cc modes and that's it. Same thing with SSB. Looks great, but I'd probably have limited enjoyment from it, living alone.

I agree with the above poster however, that I like how Nintendo doesn't shove online gaming down your throat. Personally, I don't care about online gaming. But other than Super Mario, I just don't see any amazing single player experiences on the Wii U.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigboi500

@nep321a: Have you played The Wonderful 101? Also, you talk about gaming being expensive, but then you go out and fork over $65 for DKTF. If you want to save money while trying games before you buy them, subscribe to a rental service like Gamefly. You could potentially save enough to get a PS4 instead of wasting a lot of money on games you don't like.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nep321a

@Bigboi500 said:

@nep321a: Have you played The Wonderful 101? Also, you talk about gaming being expensive, but then you go out and fork over $65 for DKTF. If you want to save money while trying games before you buy them, subscribe to a rental service like Gamefly. You could potentially save enough to get a PS4 instead of wasting a lot of money on games you don't like.

I played the demo of W101 and didn't like it. And DKCTF was $50. Why did you say $65?

Why would I deal with Gamefly? I make great money and have tons of cash in the bank.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bigboi500

@nep321a said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I played the demo of W101 and didn't like it. And DKCTF was $50. Why did you say $65?

Why would I deal with Gamefly? I make great money and have tons of cash in the bank.

Then why complain about gaming being expensive if it's all chump change to you? Just sounds like you're either very hard to please or not really in to video games any more.

Another suggestion would be Rayman Legends. I've enjoyed the hell out of that game and The Wonderful 101 on my Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I would argue that Nintendo is for everyone, and not just children. I would also argue that Nintendo does have, actually, a very robust list of IPs besides just Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. And I would argue this 'significantly better quality' of IPs that Sony has.

I'm a few years younger than you at 25, and I have been off and on with Nintendo for years, but I keep coming back to them. I guess I just really like the kinds of games and game experiences they make, I think their games are fun and imaginative. Coincidentally, I have owned a PS4 since launch and I gotta tell ya, it doesn't have too many must-have games yet. I played through Knack a few times and got bored of it, I enjoyed the free games I got with Plus for a little bit but not enough to want to subscribe to Plus (especially after they kept trying to make me auto-renew my subs.), and I enjoyed Killzone Shadow Fall a bit but it admittedly felt really barebones, and I never felt like sitting down and completing the remainder of the campaign. Maybe you will feel differently than I do, but I think the truly good games are fewer than the overrated ones on the other consoles.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

After the Wii, I had to decide to not buy anymore Nintendo products for the forseeable future.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nep321a

Maybe I'll give them another chance. I hope they have a full conference at E3 this year, in just three months. And they had BETTER have the best conference, or else....

EdiddyXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EdiddyXP
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

@nep321a:

I wouldnt abandon nintendo. At some point you are going to have a family, and nintendo is probably going to be your best, funnest bet. i have a ps4 and and xb1, and i have played more wii u with my family by far than either of those 2 next gen systems. we played a great deal of wii before that. i do get your point, though. i used to love zelda but now hate to even be made aware when a new version of the same game that i have played since '86 gets critically acclaimed as the next great zelda. same formula, slightly better graphics. super mario has been consistently good, though. i would say you should stick with nintendo, but get one of the other systems for your 'grownup' gaming. dont look to nintendo to be technologically up to speed relevant at all for 'grownup' gaming. look at nintendo for what they do provide. fun gaming for multiple people in the room youre in!

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nep321a

@EdiddyXP said:

@nep321a:

I wouldnt abandon nintendo. At some point you are going to have a family, and nintendo is probably going to be your best, funnest bet. i have a ps4 and and xb1, and i have played more wii u with my family by far than either of those 2 next gen systems. we played a great deal of wii before that. i do get your point, though. i used to love zelda but now hate to even be made aware when a new version of the same game that i have played since '86 gets critically acclaimed as the next great zelda. same formula, slightly better graphics. super mario has been consistently good, though. i would say you should stick with nintendo, but get one of the other systems for your 'grownup' gaming. dont look to nintendo to be technologically up to speed relevant at all for 'grownup' gaming. look at nintendo for what they do provide. fun gaming for multiple people in the room youre in!

I will never have a family, actually. I'm gay and personally don't plan on having kids or adopting kids. At most, I may have a husband someday, however. But I understand your point.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I can kind of understand. I'm also disappointed in the 3DS hardware and the bundling an expensive tablet with their cheapo console, but they still have great games. Once their games don't seem worth the hassle to play them, I will stop too. That might be next gen judging by how things are going lately.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

@nep321a said:

I'm seriously sick of Nintendo. I know.....they are one of the most successful game developers out there, with a legacy of industry involvement, and the top 15 best selling games of all time are made by Nintendo. But, I feel like it was more fun when I was younger and lived with the family. Now, being single, games like Mario Kart and SSB just aren't that fun when living alone. And even Mario and Zelda have become not quite as exciting as they used to be.

Has anyone else ever done this? Abandoned Nintendo and never looked back? I mean, the Wii U is selling significantly worse than GameCube, even.

I'm with you on like everything you said (just didn't want to quote all of it). I used to be a Nintendo only person. I had GameBoy, N64, GameCube and my girlfriend bought a Wii (mostly due to Wii Sports). I got very disgruntled with Nintendo during the Wii days. The only games that seem worth playing on the Wii are GameCube games, Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Red Steel 2. There's a few 2D Nostalgic throwbacks like New Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country Returns but where was there anything really new (aside from motion controls)?? The Wii U is worse I don't even think Super Mario 3D World counts as a game in the vein of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, it's more of a 2.5D game with some small 3D levels. I'm sure the design is fantastic but it fits in the 2D Nostalgic category for me.

With Nintendo I grew up playing and loving Mario Kart, Rogue Squadron, Donkey Kong 64, Wave Racer, 1080, F-Zero, StarFox 64 and that's why I had an N64 and a GameCube and NEVER even CONSIDERED getting a PS2 or an Xbox. I had plenty of multi-platform games on my N64 and especially on my GameCube but never cared about the PS1 or PS2.

It wasn't until 2010 after realizing that Nintendo had failed with the Wii (in my book) I looked long and hard at the Xbox 360 and PS3 and decided to go PlayStation. I now have a PS3, PS Vita and PS4 and I haven't looked back. PlayStation has got inFamous, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Resistance, Assassins Creed, Killzone, Battlefield, MotorStorm, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Borderlands, Need For Speed, Batman: Arkham, Red Dead Redemption ETC. Get a PS3 or PS4 man you won't regret it. I find myself picking up used games I missed for my GameCube and N64 to scratch my nostalgic itch while I wonder what became of the Nintendo I fell in love with and why they gave up on so many IPs and have decided to make new hardware to live in the 2D era.

I'm a PlayStation convert. If Nintendo decides to get their act together again I'd be happy to pick up a Wii U but not until I see Nintendo games that I actually want to play.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts
Loading Video...

@nep321a:

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nep321a

@jasonredemption said:

@nep321a said:

I'm with you on like everything you said (just didn't want to quote all of it). I used to be a Nintendo only person. I had GameBoy, N64, GameCube and my girlfriend bought a Wii (mostly due to Wii Sports). I got very disgruntled with Nintendo during the Wii days. The only games that seem worth playing on the Wii are GameCube games, Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Red Steel 2. There's a few 2D Nostalgic throwbacks like New Super Mario and Donkey Kong Country Returns but where was there anything really new (aside from motion controls)?? The Wii U is worse I don't even think Super Mario 3D World counts as a game in the vein of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, it's more of a 2.5D game with some small 3D levels. I'm sure the design is fantastic but it fits in the 2D Nostalgic category for me.

With Nintendo I grew up playing and loving Mario Kart, Rogue Squadron, Donkey Kong 64, Wave Racer, 1080, F-Zero, StarFox 64 and that's why I had an N64 and a GameCube and NEVER even CONSIDERED getting a PS2 or an Xbox. I had plenty of multi-platform games on my N64 and especially on my GameCube but never cared about the PS1 or PS2.

It wasn't until 2010 after realizing that Nintendo had failed with the Wii (in my book) I looked long and hard at the Xbox 360 and PS3 and decided to go PlayStation. I now have a PS3, PS Vita and PS4 and I haven't looked back. PlayStation has got inFamous, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Resistance, Assassins Creed, Killzone, Battlefield, MotorStorm, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Borderlands, Need For Speed, Batman: Arkham, Red Dead Redemption ETC. Get a PS3 or PS4 man you won't regret it. I find myself picking up used games I missed for my GameCube and N64 to scratch my nostalgic itch while I wonder what became of the Nintendo I fell in love with and why they gave up on so many IPs and have decided to make new hardware to live in the 2D era.

I'm a PlayStation convert. If Nintendo decides to get their act together again I'd be happy to pick up a Wii U but not until I see Nintendo games that I actually want to play.

Thanks for the input.

I did something similar back in 2001, after I had been loyal to Nintendo for about 7 years at the time. The N64 was pretty much over, and the GameCube was about to come out. In the middle of 2001, Nintendo was almost nonexistent. The N64 was already in the past, and the GameCube was not out yet. The 5th generation of consoles was over and I decided to sneak in some non-Nintendo gaming during that summer. So I bought a PSOne for $100 at the time with FFVII and FFVIII. I absolutely loved FFVII, but after two months, I sold the PSOne and games and felt like I had gotten my fill with what I missed out on. Soon enough, the GameCube launched and I went on to own about 60 games for it and enjoyed that system very much, with myself and brothers and sister over the years.

Then, it happened again....in summer of 2002. I just couldn't take it anymore and I really wanted to play FFX. So I bought a PS2 for $200 with FFX and played it for a month, loved it, then sold the PS2 promptly. During the entire GameCube generation, I bought and sold PS2 about FIVE times, just to play certain must-play games over the years. That entire generation, I had enjoyed my GameCube and it was a great family console, but I was envious of PS2 the entire time. But for some odd reason, I always felt that it was odd to own more than one console. I don't know why....probably some stupid fanboy mentality I grew up with. Not sure how it happened. I think it goes something like this: I got my Game Boy in 1994, then a SNES in 1995 and an N64 in 1997 and was a very satisfied gamer between the ages of 10 and 17. I loved all of Nintendo's games so much that I figured I was set for life.

Then, in the fall of 1995, I remember walking off the school bus with some other kid who kept telling me that some company called Sony was came out with the PSX and it would be much more powerful than the SNES that I was about to get for Christmas, and that I should ask for a PSX instead. But I was like yeah....whatever....sounds lame to me. All I could think about was playing Super Mario All-Stars. So, over those next several years, I went on to LOVE my SNES and had like 13 games for it. Naturally, I moved onto N64 just two years later and loved it as well. I guess at that point I was an obsessively dedicated Nintendo fanboy.

Why has fanboyism developed in me, but not other kids in high school? I mean, I was just a kid. How can that happen? Why does fanboysim occur with some kids, but not with others? I know it's stupid, but it just makes me think why it happened. I think it's almost like an attachment thing. Like the PlayStation was a threat to the Nintendo brand that I have aligned myself to grow with and love so much, as a kid. So, I had something to prove, even if I was objectively wrong. (We all know the PS1 killed N64). I mean, I enjoyed N64 to death and still think it had the better games than PS1 to this day, but in the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation, that's when I was seriously in denial. It's as if dedicated fanboyism was conflicted against the fact that I was growing up and becoming interested in games like Final Fantasy and GTA.

Then, in 2006, I decided I wasn't going to take it anymore, and that I wanted to take the Sony route. I moved out of my family's house, started a new job in NYC and lived alone. I was one of the first people in the U.S. to get the PS3 at launch in Times Square, NYC. I liked it, and went on to have 20 games for it, but then sold it two years later, and switched back to Nintendo and got a Wii. It was like a breath of FRESH air. Suddenly, gaming was fun again (SMG, Zelda, etc). But then, I became disenchanted again and envied the higher end graphics on PS3 and non-gimmicky games. However, I didn't re-purchase PS3 again until 2013 for GTA V. Then, I sold the PS3 just two months after that because GTA V started to bore me, believe it or not. I got bored of realism in games very fast. So then, this past Nov, I got the Wii U and SM3DW and LOVED it. Again, it was like a breath of fresh air.

But now, four months later, I'm kind of like eh.....what am I going to do with a Wii U, being 29 years old and living alone and single? How fun can Mario Kart or SSB be alone? Maybe it finally is time to ditch Nintendo and buy the PS4 instead and just stick with it for good. I don't know...it's like I have an issue with having more than one console, which is weird.

In retrospect, I truly enjoyed both offerings from Nintendo and Sony over the years, for different reasons. I can't say I prefer one over the other, to be honest. But this Wii and Wii U era is really upsetting me. Nintendo is simply not doing what I want. But at the same time, I have lifelong attachment with their brand and games. I never even purchased a Microsoft console, as it doesn't interest me at ALL. And PC gaming rarely interested me, either.

What would you do if you were me? Or what would you advise me to do? I mean, I only want to spend about 5 hours per week, playing games, at my age. So does it really make sense to own TWO consoles? I have other things I like to do in my leisure time, like exercise, travel, reading, dating, etc.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'll never abandon Nintendo, because I'm a gamer. But they are definitely on my "afterthought" list. I keep tabs on this industry, and then I'll go wander over to see what Nintendo is up to every once in a while. That's the pace they've set for me. They're honestly no longer that exciting. Many of their games I'm so tired of I can't even express. Mario does not nearly have the same draw it once did. I remember when a Mario announcement was a monumental event. And Zelda......it's been the same for so long, with minor mechanical improvements/changes that it's just......meh. All the other IPs seem to be ignored or the ones that aren't I'm just not into. This is not to even mention some of the business practices that immediately make me do a 180.

But I think in a way I'm simply outgrowing Nintendo. They seem to be a company focused on pure fun and gameplay.....and there's nothing wrong with that. That's a significant portion of gaming. I love a good Mario, but I find as I'm growing older (36 now), I'm really wanting this medium to take steps past what Nintendo offers. I want games that that try to expand past simple "fun". I want experiences that leave an impact on me long after I've played them, like TLoU, with its story, characters, and writing. Like Journey. The Stanley Parable. Etc, etc. Things that hit me deeper than just jumping on platforms while gravity switches on/off.

I love a good Mario and Zelda, but they've been providing the same enjoyment I've been having since I was 10. I want a little evolution in gaming that goes past gameplay, and I know this is something many disagree with, and that many despise about other developers. Gaming can do/is capable of more than what Nintendo produces presently. Other developers don't seem to shy away from things that have traditionally defined what constitutes gaming, and I think that's to be applauded. People seem to fear this, and I see no reason as to why as Nintendo games will never disappear. But as great games as Nintendo makes. Not to say I want them gone. Their type of games will always be welcome but I want more. Thankfully Sony and the PC indie market exist that aren't afraid to push things.

MylesB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MylesB93
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

@Garfield360UK said:

Perhaps it would be worth looking into getting a PS4 to sit alongside your Wii U. That way you can play the games exclusive to each system and not miss out on potentially great Wii U software in the future. However the choice is yours, but if you can afford it, I would say multiple consoles are the way to go as you can have the best of both worlds. Obviously though if money is tight and you can not, or do not, want to do that, then consider what future line ups appeal to you the most and go with that.

Saying all that, I kind of agree with you about the Wii U. I was interested when Nintendo first announced the system, but there is such a shortage in software that I would play on it that it has become something I probably wont buy (I skipped the Wii as well as I really did not like the motion controls when I tried a friends system). Perhaps Nintendo will turn it around though and maybe this E3 they will have some great exclusive software on show which blows us all away. That would be pretty cool to see, the more competition, the better for us as consumers.

This. I always like having my Wii U for the exclusives but I do most of my gaming on PS4. Did the same thing last gen - had my Wii alongside my PS3.

sonerarikan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sonerarikan16
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

that would be wise decision

if you are pokemon addict there are other games that u can try

http://www.monstermmorpg.com/

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts
@nep321a said:

What would you do if you were me? Or what would you advise me to do? I mean, I only want to spend about 5 hours per week, playing games, at my age. So does it really make sense to own TWO consoles? I have other things I like to do in my leisure time, like exercise, travel, reading, dating, etc.

I get what you're saying about the one console thing. I also sometimes feel like a bit of a fanboy but yet I am not out there angrily flaming and trolling like some kid with nothing better to do. I can't imagine gaming on an xbox, playstation and pc at the same time as that's just too many systems for me personally be invested into. Not to mention that last generation and this new generation (PS4 and XBONE) the exclusives are almost non-existent between the two so I could never justify owning both xbox and playstation.

For me, PlayStation was the answer between xbox and playstation. If the Wii U gets enough killer apps I might pick it up down the road as I see myself as a Nintendo + PlayStation person at the moment (but more of the pre 2006-Nintendo). However, I did keep my Wii to play GameCube games and the 8 Wii games that are actually good.

What do I suggest you do? Well after reading your posts, here's what I'd say. Nintendo's philosophy has changed, in fact they mentioned that at 2012's E3. The Wii was built to be a family multiplayer console. The Wii U was supposed to be the combining of the single player and multiplayer experience but I have yet to see any killer-must own games for it. You are right in thinking that you're not going to enjoy Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros alone (unless you're into playing online). IF Nintendo decides to be the Nintendo you fell in love and developed a fan-loyalty for then get a Wii U again (unless you can afford/justify to keep it and get the PS3/PS4).

I'm surprised you got rid of your PS3 after getting bored of GTA:V without checking out the amazing games they've put out since you sold your PS3 in 2008. You say you live alone and game alone so a PS3 is going to give you everything you want. Uncharted, inFamous, Batman, Assassins Creed, Little Big Planet, Need for Speed, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Resistance, Killzone, Modnation Racers ETC. Whatever games you're into-the PS3 has got it. If you want to throw all your eggs into the PlayStation Now basket and hope that you can play all the PS3 games you missed on your PS4 then get a PS4. Eventually when there's more games you want then get a PS4.

In the end, if you can, keep the Wii U and get a PS3/PS4. That way you won't miss out on any experiences.

Me, personally, I never sell/trade-in a console. Not only does it not make financial sense (especially if you change your mind later and want to buy it again) but I like knowing I can plug my N64/GameCube/Wii in again and play them again. (The saving grace for me keeping the Wii was the HDMI adapter and the ability my Wii has to play GameCube games) I keep wanting to get a Wii U but I can't justify it due to the fact that Pikmin 3 is the only game I want on the Wii U. I want to be loyal to Nintendo again but I can't justify buying a $400 box that will play 2D rehashes. Right now, I'm gaming more on my PS3 then on my PS4, I just don't understand people who traded in their PS3 (or even XBOX360) for the PS4/XBONE as there are so few games on those new systems at the moment. In fact, I have numerous free AAA PS+ games sitting on my 1TB PS3 waiting to be played while my PS4 collects dust waiting for inFamous: Second Son.

That's my two cents.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#41 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

Nintendo have made themselves the "second" console. Their hardware and software lineup compliment whichever other console you have. That's why I believe the Wii U is struggling, because for a secondary console it is more expensive than just grabbing a Wii. As for their IP, I'm right there with you wishing they'd try knew ones. I'd LOVE to see what Nintendo can think up. Granted they do this to a degree, but the top talent and all the marketing is 100% towards their staple IP's so the others never have a chance to get the same hook. I think the problem is that they have decided to get creative with their hardware instead of their software. If they put the time and energy (and money) into making a new and very unique IP that blows us away like they do their new consoles it'd surely be an instant success.

And a family doesn't mean you go with Nintendo, not anymore. Competition for kid friendly games have heated up since Nintendo was king. My son and daughter play Minecraft, that Spyro racing game, the lego games and LBP all the time. They have a DS with a Mario game and never touch it. I literally ask them too sometimes to try and have them enjoy it as much as I did growing up but it seems to have lost its charm. Without nostalgia like we have, they only view it comparable to other games and that diminishes its appeal.

I'd suggest keeping the Wii U but getting another console instead. It makes a great secondary one after all, but as a primary? Yeah I can see it not cutting it for you.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nep321a

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice!

I think you're right that although Nintendo is (or was) great, it doesn't make sense to have as a primary/single console, for an adult single gamer. And the simple fact that Nintendo just isn't what they used to be. They're targeting a different market (or at least attempting to) these days, and I myself am not 10 anymore. I'm 29 now.

I think I'm going to get a PS4, but not sure what to do with the Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I feel Nintendo is doing a great job in some areas, where in other areas they will probably always remain ignorant as these problems have been unsolved for generations and I bet they do not even know what they are doing wrong or why the Wii U is failing, in a way I do not even know as everyone is different; but I at least have an idea unlike Nintendo. I see they do not have the ability to deliver what is important and continue to drag their feet, but many companies do this; there is always something that is needed to be done by a company as a priority and people complain for years and something is either done or it is not.

I think Nintendo just needs to be Nintendo, as that seems to be the only thing that the company knows how to do; there obviously is not going to be a deliverance for a proper online account system, online multi-player as a priority, more third party support, improvement in shovel-ware titles or less shovel-ware etc. I might as well just look forward to any high quality exclusives they dish out and call it a day.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@nep321a: If you can afford to keep the Wii U, I would keep it. I don't play for loads of hours each week myself but still find time to play games over different systems and I find it helps keep things fresh (i.e. when I get bored on Counter Strike on the PC, I may go and play Fifa or Forza on my Xbox, and vice versa). That depends though on if you feel you would want two consoles under your TV and if you have room to store games for multiple systems. For me personally, gaming is my primary hobby so it tends to be the thing I am willing to spend most money on in terms of things outside of needs (i.e. food, place to live, etc). However if you do not feel the same, perhaps trade the Wii U in.

However, I sense that there is a reason you are holding on to the Wii U if you are undecided. If you like it, have the cash, and will use it however much you will (you don't have to play it daily or weekly for it to be worth keeping around, I have a PS3 which I rarely use, but I am glad I have it for games like Uncharted and The Last of Us, none of which I could play without having the PS3). Have a think, there is no rush to decide I assume and go with what you feel. We can not tell you what to do at the end of the day, make a list if it helps of pros and cons and see how you feel after that. Sometimes we don't have to be logical, we are human after all and if you have the money for something and want it, then who cares what anybody else thinks?

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nep321a

Yeah I know, but I just feel like if I own two consoles, it's excessive. In fact, at one point, I even considered getting rid of my TV and all living room electronics, since I spend SO much time on my computer these days. Sometimes, as much as 3 months would go by and I wouldn't even turn the TV on. However, I feel like my interest in gaming has sort of revitalized a bit, with the new gen. But like I said, I'm disappointed with Nintendo, ever since the N64 days, with the severe lack of third party support and increasingly family oriented image. The launch of the Wii is when the shit finally hit the fan. Talk about a total slap in the face to regular gamers who prefer a traditional controller, a reasonable upgrade in hardware and a serious online infrastructure. Nintendo has betrayed gamers like me, so I'm going to betray them now.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#46 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

@nep321a: I definitely play PC the most by far (It's so much cheaper) but I have the consoles as well for exclusives or if a game happens to be a bad port. It sounds like you still enjoy some of the Nintendo games, in which case why not keep it? It's not like you could get some amazing amount of money out of selling it now anyway and then you can just use it like Garfield, play it whenever you need a change of pace (art style, genre, etc.) or whenever a game you really want comes along. While I currently don't own a Nintendo console I'm a firm believer that they do end up making great secondary consoles because of their exclusives that are a change of pace for those that appreciate it.

I'm with you about Nintendo after the N64. I still have hope though that the old guys in the company will eventually get the boot and some new blood that is willing to try new things software wise will find out they can still make amazing original IP. That being said, what they do make is solid if not overly original.