Sega: "Wii will not last"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1362.html

While I'm not saying I agree, he lends a voice to several of my primary concerns regarding the Wii. I don't believe the Wii will "top out" next year or in '08, but I have yet to see the real potential of Nintendo's system. Where exactly ARE they going with this new interaction scheme? And when the graphics are this dated already, what impact will it have two or three years from now, when PS3 and 360 games look even better than they do now? And with this fall and holiday season, when the likes of GTA IV, Halo 3, Half-Life 2: Orange Box, and the possibility of either MGS 4or FF XIII arriving, how does Metroid Prime 3 and the new Mario stack up? Too many questions for me, and not nearly enough software to back it up, IMO.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Sega: "We will not last."

Fixed. :P

But seriously, Nintendo being condemned by Sega actually bodes well for Nintendo. Add in the Pachter Factor and the Wii's prospects look better and better.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fathoms_basic

Shame-usBlackley

Well, THAT's true. ;) But I've often wondered how long it will be before Nintendo follows the same path...

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

fathoms_basic

Well, THAT's true. ;) But I've often wondered how long it will be before Nintendo follows the same path...

Nintendo will first have to have their console and handheld divisions completely fail for 2 or 3 generations in a row, while losing millions of dollars in the process due to the mismangement of the entire company. Then, to follow the same route as Sega, they will have to end up selling themselves off to another company. ;)
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fathoms_basic
[QUOTE="fathoms_basic"][QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

Brain3000

Nintendo will first have to have their console and handheld divisions completely fail for 2 or 3 generations in a row, while losing millions of dollars in the process due to the mismangement of the entire company. Then, to follow the same route as Sega, they will have to end up selling themselves off to another company. ;)

Not at all. All they would need is for the Wii to fail, and I can pretty much guarantee it would be their last home console. They may stick with the handhelds, but they'd move to being a third-party developer for Sony and Microsoft...just like Sega. That's all it would take. That is, of course, unless the Wii can somehow fail and still make them money. Which is probably possible.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
This is coming from the company that boasted better graphics, sound, and colors than the competition with their ridiculously failed Sega CD and 32X, right? And this is one of those cases where you listen to the opposite of what someone says because they have no frickin' clue what they're talking about.
jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

There's already a thread on this.

In before the lock.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Shame-usBlackley

LOL! Nice! :D

So while this guy from Sega is saying this, they're currently off making more console versions of 3D Sonic games like Sonic Heroes HD, Sonic Riders 2, and Sonic the Hedghog 360/PS3 Director's Cut, and Shadow the Hedghog 2.:P

Also it's kind of a bad move to get on Nintendo's bad side especially since they're collaborating on that whole Mario and Sonic at the Olympics AND their best console Sonic game is on the Wii and their best Sonic game since the original is on the DS. The Nintendo platforms are keeping Sonic's ship afloat at the moment. Also, they're bringing the highly anticipated NiGHTS to the Wii so I think it's a little ignorant or too early for this guy to splurt out his opinion at this point. And as for the other Sega games, the only franchises that are doing anything good for Sega is AM2, and even then, their latest masterpiece VF5 didn't sell like it deserved. And in Japan only, Shining Wind has been doing really well, but it's a darn PS2 game!!!

So you're right, Sega is in trouble not the Wii.

Anyway, even though I had my share of Wii criticisms lately, I never thought once or say the Wii will die or not last. Quite frankly the opposite, I think the Wii will grow and expand the market further, at least until the next-generation as long as they keep doing what they're doing.

But if the Wii willhave games that appeal to me personally, now that's another issue altogether.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
There's already a thread that touches on this topic over here.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

There's already a thread on this.

In before the lock.

jedigemini