Scariest game or moment in a game you played ever

• 60 results
#51 Posted by bluedawgstrut (4 posts) -

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for a good story driven survival horror game that doesn't feel as cheesy or easy as the Resident Evil series. I'm pretty new to the genre, do any of these games fit the bill?

http://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/best-zombie-killing-games

#52 Posted by Sue91 (4 posts) -

Silent Hill is the scariest game I've ever played

#53 Posted by Blueresident87 (5806 posts) -

Most of the Silent Hill games have sections or areas that freak me out (Hospital, apartment complexes, The Water Prison).

But I would say the most effective has to be the tunnels under DC in Fallout 3. One of the most atmospheric sections of any game I've ever played, not to mention the tunnels are so extensive and full of danger. Very well done, one of my favorites.

#54 Posted by InVein813 (6 posts) -

ShadowMan was the scariest, cause I played it when I was 10. Headless gurgling guys in the prison and Playrooms, full of dead meat, with a lulling melody in background, gave me nightmares for a next two years.

#55 Posted by uninspiredcup (28125 posts) -
@invein813 said:

ShadowMan was the scariest, cause I played it when I was 10. Headless gurgling guys in the prison and Playrooms, full of dead meat, with a lulling melody in background, gave me nightmares for a next two years.

I played this again a few years back, it actually was pretty creepy. Not so much the monsters for me, but the series killers and legion.

Really great sound-effects.

#56 Posted by InVein813 (6 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Abandoned house was really spooky, especially because you don't know, from where this guy is going to ambush you.

@uninspiredcup said:

Really great sound-effects.

In my opinion, the best sound-design in near-horror games.

#57 Edited by TheDarkWolf86 (576 posts) -

Dead Space - Chapter 1: Know God, No Fear.

(1) The writing on the ground leads you to a Dead Space website
(1) The writing on the ground leads you to a Dead Space website

I remember playing Dead Space (PS3 Version) for the very first time and I quickly came to the notion this game was unlike any other horror-survival game I had played before. Like most, I played both Resident Evil and the Silent Hill franchises. Yet, there was something different about this particular game. I quickly noticed the developers of Dead Space didn't attempt to scare the player with random "jump scares" but they had a tendency to play with your mind. The photo to the left (1) is exactly what they did here. In most games, your movements trigger some type of reaction from the enemy. I noticed in previous games, of this genre, this almost always led to a particular scare. The enemy would jump out from some unknown/oftentimes known location and you would react. Here, the developers did the opposite. Here, the sequence of events is different. By stomping on the box you see in the first photo, this activates a sequence where the lights go out and you immediately begin to hear noises from a random necromorph who wants to make its presence known. If you stare at the door in front of you, nothing else happens. If you turn around with your weapon up (light automatically turns on) you are greeted with a specific sound and a necromorph running across the hallway quickly before you are able to react (2). Now, once you go back down this hallway; expecting to be attacked, you simply find out the creature has disappeared somewhere back into the ship. For me, this scene set the tone for the remainder of the game. Far too many times the developers constantly force the player to focus on one area while making a significant event happen in another direction. To me, Dead Space will always be the best horror-survival type genre I played. Thank you for the post and the memories!

(2) Don't worry about the mess.
(2) Don't worry about the mess.
#58 Posted by tocool340 (21258 posts) -

Well, since I was a kid at the time, Ocarina of Time when it first came out was the first game to creep me out. It was the Well and Shadow Temple that had me not advancing for months due to the atmosphere/music of those places and all the invisible monsters hanging around, especially Wallmasters and Dead hand...

#60 Posted by watercrack445 (653 posts) -

Most recently, I played Dead by Daylight. I has a creepy atmosphere and always the victim is adrenaline pumping experience. The monster comes and hooks you up on this some type of modern crucifix. The game basically takes place in hell or Purgatory or whatever you want to call it. It could be also called heaven too for the monsters unless they don't like it but have to do It's bidding.

#61 Posted by judaspete (2584 posts) -

I really can't think of anything that scared me more than PT. It ramps up the creepiness so gradually, that when shit finally starts happening your fight or flight response is already going full throttle. Man I wish Silent Hills got made.