Rumor: X1 versions of CoD, Battlefield 4, TitanFall are 720p

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake:

KZ looked better at E3....just saying....Still best looking game though this gen....

Yes I played Octodad and Knack....neither looked good...

And oh no Soiled said people in a video game forum take me with a grain of salt..what shall I ever do o_O

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

KZ looked better at E3....just saying....Still best looking game though this gen....

And oh no Soiled said people in a video game forum take me with a grain of salt..what shall I ever do o_O

Soiled? Is this another awful attempt at calling me names? What was your last one again? Solid Milk Shake, right?

I figured wrong.

Also, E3.

Now:

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Soiled Milk Shake.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I went to GameStop earlier today and while I was there, a boy that could not be older than twelve came in with a couple of adults and they were all talking about getting Call of Duty: Ghosts for him.

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

Seems to be the consensus from what I'm gathering. Indie titles are nice, but I just don't know how much they're gonna help PS4 sales in the long term.

I just read this http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-launch-minus-the-hype-1450976276

Feels like a really fair take on the PS4 and its exclusive launch titles.

It really all comes down to KZ. The problem is, Battlefield and CoD have reigned surpreme in the FPS genre, and with both franchises coming out with a game at the same time as KZ, it's gonna be interesting to see how KZ does, sales-wise. After the Watch Dogs delay, there was such a huge, huge spike in PS4 BF4 bundles (especially on Amazon). This probably doesn't bode well for KZ, to be honest.

The visuals really do look amazing, though. As of now I've still kept my PS4 pre-order, so I'll probably end up buying KZ just to justify my purchase, unless I chicken out of the pre-order in the next couple of weeks. First world problems.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@BranKetra said:

I went to GameStop earlier today and while I was there, a boy that could not be older than twelve came in with a couple of adults and they were all talking about getting Call of Duty: Ghosts for him.

Was this twelve year old ranting about a soiled snake disrespecting the Xbone?

Seriously, its within the realm of possibility that the parents are responsible people who have judged that their grounded kid can handle CoD. Its a violent, gory game but one with little or no sexual content (the thing most American parents worry about).

Still, I concede that its more likely that the parents are wildly irresponsible and are just buying the kid whatever he wants.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Areez

@S0lidSnake:

LMAO! No, it was not an attempt to call you names....It was a typo....Funny though...

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Areez

@experience_fade:

I am actually contemplating selling my PS4 around launch now, if I can make a nice profit off of it. While KZ looks awesome, I am also picking up BF4 on the XBX 1, and therefore KZ would probably be a bit neglected. KZ's only disadvantage could be its online multiplayer, when stacked up against BF4 and CoD.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Really bad news for the Xbone if true. The people who buy launch systems are those who will be swayed by higher resolution and the spectre of one system not being able to keep up with the other, especially when the one seemingly struggling to maintain parity is the higher-priced console this time around.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

@Areez said:

@experience_fade:

I am actually contemplating selling my PS4 around launch now, if I can make a nice profit off of it. While KZ looks awesome, I am also picking up BF4 on the XBX 1, and therefore KZ would probably be a bit neglected. KZ's only disadvantage could be its online multiplayer, when stacked up against BF4 and CoD.

I wonder if one could make a profit on selling an Xbone at launch? :P

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Areez

@Shame-usBlackley:

Eh....Probably not....Do not see much of a profit opportunity with the Xbox One...unless the Xbox One some how becomes one of those fancy, expensive gadgets everyone wants...Like an Apple product

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By S0lidSnake

uh oh. BF4 is supposedly looking much better on the PS4.

Originally Posted by Jack Frags

I'll be posting Xbox One and PS4 footage - Direct capture 1080p on the 29th October - I'm not allowed to post before then. I have several hours of PS4 multiplayer and the full single player campaign on Xbox One recorded.

Source:

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_...meplay/cczc3wi

I can't talk specifics until the 29th but I can say that one of the next gen console versions definitely looks better than the other.

Source:

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_...meplay/cczcmxr

And finally I think you guys will be very surprised when you see Xbox One vs PS4 footage!

Source:

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/393692774358204416

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@S0lidSnake:

I think you might be reading him wrong. People wouldn't be surprised that a PS4 game looked better than an Xbone game, but they would be surprised by the opposite.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

I think you might be reading him wrong. People wouldn't be surprised that a PS4 game looked better than an Xbone game, but they would be surprised by the opposite.

I can't talk specifics until the 29th but I can say that one of the next gen console versions definitely looks better than the other.

I highly doubt that the X1 version looks better than the PS4 version.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@F1Lengend said:

Soiled Milk Shake.

Yes. :p

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

@BranKetra said:

Was this twelve year old ranting about a soiled snake disrespecting the Xbone?

Seriously, its within the realm of possibility that the parents are responsible people who have judged that their grounded kid can handle CoD. Its a violent, gory game but one with little or no sexual content (the thing most American parents worry about).

Still, I concede that its more likely that the parents are wildly irresponsible and are just buying the kid whatever he wants.

Nope. He was talking about some game being the best ever and getting a PS4.

About children in general, it is possible that he can handle violent games, but there are many his age on the net who cannot act maturely in multiplayer sessions. That makes me curious about how many 360 players will be getting the PS4. Will I, who mostly played PS3 which has a much different online community, be subject to that? That is the actual reason I preferred PSN to Xbox Live this gen.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By experience_fade

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

It's likely the PS4 version looks better, however, given that he has multiplayer gameplay of the PS4 recorded and the single player campaign of the X1, it might very well be that the X1 recorded footage looks better. Single player campaigns always look better than their multiplayer counterparts.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 S0lidSnake

@experience_fade said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

It's likely the PS4 version looks better, however, given that he has multiplayer gameplay of the PS4 recorded and the single player campaign of the X1, it might very well be that the X1 recorded footage looks better. Single player campaigns always look better than their multiplayer counterparts.

I see. I wonder why he would compare the two versions like that.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By S0lidSnake

UPDATE: BF4 is also running at 720p. Looks like MS isnt sending review copies of X1 versions because they are 720p and they dont want the news out before the PS4 and Xbox One launch. I suppose they know people DO care about resolutions.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#70  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@BranKetra said:

Long ago I used to work at Best Buy. You'd be surprised how often things like this happen.

We like to think that parents who let their kids play games we know they shouldn't be playing just don't know any better. That was the assumption I used to operate under. But that assumption is dead wrong.

I can't tell you how many times I bold facedly outlined what kind of game a parent was purchasing for a child who couldn't have been over 10, and more often than not that parent would still take the game home for their kids. I've seen 8 year olds walk out with GTA3, Resident Evil, all manner of products intended for older teenagers or adults.

I mean it's entirely possible that their kid was grounded enough to properly compartmentalize that experience as make-believe and not a big deal like a grown up can. But I was still often worried about it. But hey, what can you do? I gave them more than enough information to make an informed purchase. What happens after that is out of my realm of control.

I do take it as a matter of pride that I talked more than a few parents and kids out of buying Superman 64. So yay for me. :P

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By experience_fade

One thing I'll say about this next gen - it's put a focus on graphics like never before. Everyone suddenly cares so much about resolutions and frame rate, it's funny to witness.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Areez

@S0lidSnake said:

UPDATE: BF4 is also running at 720p. Looks like MS isnt sending review copies of X1 versions because they are 720p and they dont want the news out before the PS4 and Xbox One launch. I suppose they know people DO care about resolutions.

BF4 on the PS4 will be running at 900p and not 1080p. So what does this tell us? Get the PC version of BF4 if you want 1080p at 60fps. The CoD 720p rumor seems to be true for the Xbox One. Given the girth of BF4 their is no reason why CoD should be running at 720p on the Xbx One. Seems like more of the same this gen, up-scaling, up-scaling and more up-scaling. At least until a few years into the next gen cycle with a few exceptions. SMH.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#73  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

People seem to be having issues with the ESRAM. I don’t know much about what frame buffers are or how they work, but some developers on gaf commented on how the 32MB ESRAM may not be enough for a 1080p picture with decent AA.

The tools probably come into play when you look at all the other additional hardware the X1 has. PS4 devs do not have to mess with ESRAM, DMEs and the SHAPE audio processor which is largely used for Kinect. That and it is much more powerful so devs can just brute force it then worry about relying on MS to provide tools that best take advantage of this hardware. According to CBOAT, they were originally targeting a 2014 release but were forced to launch early after Sony revealed their console on Feb 20th. That’s also why their tools are behind.

Many on the internet were discounting the effect GDDR5 will have on games and GPU’s apparent advantage as insignificant. Yet we have yet to see ANY footage of multiplatform games running on the X1. I believe only BF4 MP was shown at a tradeshow and pixel counters immediately noticed how it was only 720p. Even TitanFall, an Xbox console exclusive has been shown running on PC.

That may well be the case. I just find it odd that its a hurdle when the design; at least on paper, is very similar to the 360 with the inclusion of ESRAM. It could also be the tools not fully developed specifically for the system.

I decided to do some research on the advantage of GDDR5 performance. It took a while to find a review that gives a closer insight on the advantages of GDDR5. Link The review compares 4850 and 4870 which are almost identical except for a few things such as RAM type and GPU frequency. This gives a closer look on the possible performance difference between the Xbox One and the PS4.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ZZoMBiE13

@experience_fade said:

One thing I'll say about this next gen - it's put a focus on graphics like never before. Everyone suddenly cares so much about resolutions and frame rate, it's funny to witness.

I don't think it's that uncommon, it's just been a while since the last time people got a "new" generation.

But the focus has always been on new graphics capabilities, one "side" being better than the other. This is well tread ground going all the way back to when home gaming began. Even Intellivision tried to market itself as a graphically superior platform when compared to the VCS. Then the "Bit wars" of the 90s happened.

The really new thing this time is that gamers and enthusiasts seem so much more well versed in the architecture than ever before. Or failing that, we have more ways to talk about it than ever before, I'm not sure which. This is exacerbated by just how similar the basic design structure of the new machines really is.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Areez

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

People seem to be having issues with the ESRAM. I don’t know much about what frame buffers are or how they work, but some developers on gaf commented on how the 32MB ESRAM may not be enough for a 1080p picture with decent AA.

The tools probably come into play when you look at all the other additional hardware the X1 has. PS4 devs do not have to mess with ESRAM, DMEs and the SHAPE audio processor which is largely used for Kinect. That and it is much more powerful so devs can just brute force it then worry about relying on MS to provide tools that best take advantage of this hardware. According to CBOAT, they were originally targeting a 2014 release but were forced to launch early after Sony revealed their console on Feb 20th. That’s also why their tools are behind.

Many on the internet were discounting the effect GDDR5 will have on games and GPU’s apparent advantage as insignificant. Yet we have yet to see ANY footage of multiplatform games running on the X1. I believe only BF4 MP was shown at a tradeshow and pixel counters immediately noticed how it was only 720p. Even TitanFall, an Xbox console exclusive has been shown running on PC.

That may well be the case. I just find it odd that its a hurdle when the design; at least on paper, is very similar to the 360 with the inclusion of ESRAM. It could also be the tools not fully developed specifically for the system.

I decided to do some research on the advantage of GDDR5 performance. It took a while to find a review that gives a closer insight on the advantages of GDDR5. Link The review compares 4850 and 4870 which are almost identical except for a few things such as RAM type and GPU frequency. This gives a closer look on the possible performance difference between the Xbox One and the PS4.

ESRAM was supposed to be an upgrade to the EDRAM found on the 360. Could be that MS does not have the dev tools fully developed just yet. I did read the same article you just linked and found it to be insightful as well.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 experience_fade

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@experience_fade said:

I don't think it's that uncommon, it's just been a while since the last time people got a "new" generation.

But the focus has always been on new graphics capabilities, one "side" being better than the other. This is well tread ground going all the way back to when home gaming began. Even Intellivision tried to market itself as a graphically superior platform when compared to the VCS. Then the "Bit wars" of the 90s happened.

The really new thing this time is that gamers and enthusiasts seem so much more well versed in the architecture than ever before. Or failing that, we have more ways to talk about it than ever before, I'm not sure which. This is exacerbated by just how similar the basic design structure of the new machines really is.

It's definitely that we have more ways to talk about it than ever before. Social revolution!

But no, I understand all of that and agree, I still can't help shake the notion at how silly it all seems. Graphics matter, that much is obvious, but it's what you said that makes it all seem so... sad?

"...gamers and enthusiasts seem so much more well versed in the architecture," - are they really though? I'm finding that they just spout out specs.

And then it all comes back to PCs. The one thing I've learned about gaming forums such as these, is that not many people seem to game on their PCs. We're all focused on comparing X1 and PS4 specs, when I'm sitting back like... you'd buy either of those for graphics? There really are people who are buying the PS4 over the X1 because of specs. That shocks me, it really does. There are plenty of reasons to buy a PS4 over the X1, and plenty of reasons to buy the X1 over the PS4, but I just don't think people realize graphics live on the PC, and they always will.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@experience_fade said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@experience_fade said:

It's definitely that we have more ways to talk about it than ever before. Social revolution!

But no, I understand all of that and agree, I still can't help shake the notion at how silly it all seems. Graphics matter, that much is obvious, but it's what you said that makes it all seem so... sad?

"...gamers and enthusiasts seem so much more well versed in the architecture," - are they really though? I'm finding that they just spout out specs.

And then it all comes back to PCs. The one thing I've learned about gaming forums such as these, is that not many people seem to game on their PCs. We're all focused on comparing X1 and PS4 specs, when I'm sitting back like... you'd buy either of those for graphics? There really are people who are buying the PS4 over the X1 because of specs. That shocks me, it really does. There are plenty of reasons to buy a PS4 over the X1, and plenty of reasons to buy the X1 over the PS4, but I just don't think people realize graphics live on the PC, and they always will.

Just to make myself clear, I'm not advocating anything with that post. Just pointing out some things I noticed.

I'd agree with you, the graphical specs and such are irrelevant. All the specs in the world won't make a game more or less fun. But this is pretty standard for the lead up to a new set of hardware. Until we have the games in our hands, on our televisions or monitors, the talk turns to the tech. It'll pass.

Fans of certain brands like to trumpet their choices I guess. I've always been the type who just gets the systems that has the games I wanna play. I want an X1 for Dead Rising, I want a PS4 for InFamous, and I will always have a proper gaming PC because there are game genres that are just better on that format. In short, I'm an only child and want all the toys. :P