Rumor: X1 versions of CoD, Battlefield 4, TitanFall are 720p

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

UPDATE: Looks like MS isnt sending review copies of X1 versions because they are 720p and they dont want the news out before the PS4 and Xbox One launch.

UPDATE: MS PR Panello did not deny it and say he did not know. CBOAT responded telling him to be honest, that they both know and said TitanFall is 720p too.

It's probably BS since there is nothing in the specs that should translate into a 2.25X pixel increase. But GAF is exploding right now which makes it fun to discuss.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702055

Apparently there were some rumors flying around at E3 that the X1 version of CoD Ghosts took nearly 4 months to port and the framerate was badly in need of optimization vs the PS4 version which took only 3 weeks. Then we went 6 months without seeing any footage from the X1 version, and this week Infinity Ward shows off the PS4 version (still looks like shit) with the X1 version nowhere to be found.

The GAF rumor started with one of the most reliable insiders (confirmed DC delay, Sony DRM policies etc.) looking for another source to confirm this rumor. He found no one but the main mod bish did not ban him which has resulted in a thread nearly 2000 posts long.

Slow news day, but I thought it was funny.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if CoD looked bad on the PS4 too, based on my gaming experience on the PS4 yesterday. The games I played, Knack, FIFA, did not look like next gen games. I m not expecting much from either next gen console.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Penello has declined to knock down the rumor, but has stated that CoD looks 'amazing' running on the Xbone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702055&page=41

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart said:

Penello has declined to knock down the rumor, but has stated that CoD looks 'amazing' running on the Xbone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702055&page=41

lol. This just proves that we cannot take this guy seriously. He's just a PR mouthpiece. The PS4 footage and the PC footage that we've seen so far makes it look ugly even for a current gen game.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Areez

@S0lidSnake:

I agree....After playing the PS4 yesterday I have come to the conclusion that next gen games year 1, will only be slightly better than current gen in terms of visuals. ..

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

It's an older quote from Infinity Ward, so it might not be true anymore, but they did confirm 1080P on both consoles.

I'd be really, really surprised if both versions weren't running at 1080P. No way Microsoft would allow that.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

I agree....After playing the PS4 yesterday I have come to the conclusion that next gen games year 1, will only be slightly better than current gen in terms of visuals. ..

I honestly don't expect them to improve visuals as much as just trying to make the environments richer. The added "power", at least in theory, should allow them to make more things like destructible environments and hopefully more enemies (like Dead Rising with the "thousands of zombies"). I mean I don't know of course. But I wouldn't expect games to just jump up in fidelity so much as in density.

And even if they can't, it's not like PC gaming is going anywhere. It's always been friendly to folks who wanted the cutting edge visuals. The best thing about the new gen will be that the ceiling for multiplats will have been raised by knowing the limit of the lowest end hardware is now 8 or so gigs of RAM and blah blah specs specs specs. It'll mean that higher end PC titles can go even higher and still port their games so we'll at least see an increase there.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Areez

@S0lidSnake:

This rumor is all over the net....Big Al could have defused this rumor but he did not...So....with that said I m going to assume that this is not a rumor...

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@ZZoMBiE13 said:
@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

I honestly don't expect them to improve visuals as much as just trying to make the environments richer. The added "power", at least in theory, should allow them to make more things like destructible environments and hopefully more enemies (like Dead Rising with the "thousands of zombies"). I mean I don't know of course. But I wouldn't expect games to just jump up in fidelity so much as in density.

And even if they can't, it's not like PC gaming is going anywhere. It's always been friendly to folks who wanted the cutting edge visuals. The best thing about the new gen will be that the ceiling for multiplats will have been raised by knowing the limit of the lowest end hardware is now 8 or so gigs of RAM and blah blah specs specs specs. It'll mean that higher end PC titles can go even higher and still port their games so we'll at least see an increase there.

Pretty much this. I'm less interested in visual prowess as I am what these new platforms will allow in terms of scale and interactivity for games going forward.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Areez

@experience_fade:

Al Panelo could have easily squashed this rumor on his twitter after tweeting that CoD Ghost looks "F'n awesome on Xbox One." He did not do so....

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

Well I am not going to judge next gen by looking at cross gen games like Ghosts, BF4 and AC. KZ looks incredible and a massive step above anything this gen.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By experience_fade

@Areez said:

@experience_fade:

Al Panelo could have easily squashed this rumor on his twitter after tweeting that CoD Ghost looks "F'n awesome on Xbox One." He did not do so....

I agree it doesn't bode well for the rumor being false, however, the same person (mortimer) who started the rumor, also said this (in regards to Albert),

"All of that said, I'm certain talk of the resolution is under the NDA so albert couldn't talk about it - specifically- if he wanted to. But him saying he doesn't know what it is.... really?

Come on."

So who knows. I'm not planning on getting CoD: Ghosts for either console, anyway. Definitely a negative PR hit for the Xbox One, though, if this ends up being true.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Less powerful GPU and the ESRAM makes it harder to port to. This is a big change from last gen where the PS3's Cell architecture made it usually have the inferior multiplatform games. Things might be switched around this gen in that regard.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 S0lidSnake

@Areez said:

Calm down. There is basically no way this is true. It's a current gen game in HD. If my PC can run it in 1080p then the X1 should easily be able to run it at 900p or even 1080p.

If the PS4 version is running at 1080p then i'd bet that the X1 version is around 900p. 720p is way too drastic. Especially for a cross gen game.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

This would be bad for sales on the Xbox One, but I don't trust NeoGaf with anything non-PS4 related. The one thing COD gamers want more than earlier DLC is pretty graphics.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 S0lidSnake

Albert Panello just posted on gaf and does not deny it. lol this might actually be true.

Man these threads crack me up. Well done on the Nickelback gif.

I'm not going to convince anyone differently, but it's funny how people interpret the tweet as confirmation.

First - I don't know the resolution. I don't have more sophisticated tools than anyone else. I watch the game on a nice TV with the XBO set to 1080p for every game, there is no way for me to know what's native vs. upscaled unless I'm told.

Second, if I did know, it wouldn't be my place to say anything.

If the Ryse footage last week showed me anything, it's that you get a much more interesting discussion when you're looking at real footage.

So now I've seen the PS4 footage, and I've seen XBO running live. To me, they both look great.

The resolution will be what it will be. It will be known when Activision wants it to be known. The only thing I was curious about was if the games look different, and based on the assets available to me, they don't.

So I think when XBO footage comes out, and people can compare resolutions, effects, framerate and other things the debate will be more interesting.

All that doesn't come across in Twitter-sized bites.

Credit Albert Panello
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 S0lidSnake

OMG. Cboat just replied to Albert Panello in that thread telling him to stop bullshitting and be honest.

Oh and he dropped another bomb. Titan Fall is 720p too.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I don't think it's likely that Activision would want to release the game with such a large disparity on the two platforms.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CarnageHeart

Hilarious if true. Harder to program for and weaker are bad places to be in the era of multiplatform development. As someone at the GAF pointed out given that the tech wizards at Crytek can only ship Xbone exclusive Ryse at 900p and 30 fps it makes sense less technically adept developers with more on their plates (X360, PS3, PS4, PC and maybe Wii U) or less manpower (Respawn only has sixtysomething employees last I heard) are falling short of the mark.

However, let's be real, I don't think most CoD fans are going to care if the PS4 game is native 1080p and the Xbone game is upscaled (though they might care about the price differential between the PS4 and the Xbone). It would be kind of like how the shitty PS3 version of Bayonetta coded by Sega's interns outsold the superior across the board X360 game coded by Platinum because PS3 owners like that type of game so much more.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Areez

@S0lidSnake:

This might be the most entertaining thread story of the year. We now have people publicly calling out Al on a forum. To funny! If Titanfall is indeed running at 720p it is the nicest looking game I ve seen at that resolution.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

o.O so you came to that conclusion cuz you played knack... lol Shadow Fall says hi.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

@Areez: Have you seen Killzone and Infamous? Actual next gen developed titles. You're judging off some current gen ports, indie titles and Knack and proclaim it's not going to be much better. Pleaaase.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 S0lidSnake

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

This might be the most entertaining thread story of the year. We now have people publicly calling out Al on a forum. To funny! If Titanfall is indeed running at 720p it is the nicest looking game I ve seen at that resolution.

I have played TitanFall. It looks like a current gen game at 1080p.

Also, it was running on PC. We have not seeing any footage of TitanFall running on the Xbox One.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Areez

@AzelKosMos:

Yes I have seen both....KZ looks to be the closet thing to next gen....

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Areez

@experience_fade:

Speaking of PR...Al should have just kept quite...All he did was add fuel to the fire...SMH

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69363 Posts

Who would have thought a day would come when the performance of next gen systems would be scrutinized and call in to question? Hmmmm Who would have thought?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Areez

@Pedro:

Interesting....to say the least. I ve read a bunch of posts on this topic over at Gaf, questioning the sites history of spreading falsified rumors on anything Xbox One related. Examples are also given of this...Apparently Infinity Ward confirmed that all platforms will run at 1080p...Could this have changed? Sure it is possible.... I'll wait for confirmation from Infinity Ward. The most entertaining piece of this is how Al Panelo set himself to be trolled...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart

@Pedro said:

Who would have thought a day would come when the performance of next gen systems would be scrutinized and call in to question? Hmmmm Who would have thought?

Anyone who has experienced a console transition. Companies make claims, consumers look to see if those claims are supported by the software.

Look at last gen. The PS3 was a powerful system, but Sony's fake CG trailers, claims of dual 1080p output and the fact that Gears of War looked vastly better than any of the PS3's launch games made it a laughingstock for a while. Going back a little further in history, the N64 (which was crippled by cartridges) with a little help from the Jaguar killed the trend of people viewing 'bits' as meaningful.

Tech talk is common early in a generation. Past a certain point it ends because reality is apparent (either games are doing X or they aren't).

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Areez

@CarnageHeart:

I believe Pedro was being sarcastic.....

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CarnageHeart

@Areez said:

@CarnageHeart:

Upon further consideration, I'm sure you're correct.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@CarnageHeart said:

@Areez said:

@CarnageHeart:

I am sorry, my indifferent smiley is no longer available to make it a bit more obvious.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@Areez said:

@CarnageHeart:

I am sorry, my indifferent smiley is no longer available to make it a bit more obvious.

Your post still does not make sense. Exactly who are you talking to?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Areez

@S0lidSnake: Think Pedro was just making a general comment about the thread topic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pedro

@S0lidSnake said:

Obviously I was specifically referring to you. Why would I be talking to anyone else besides you on the Internet?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Obviously I was specifically referring to you. Why would I be talking to anyone else besides you on the Internet?

Sorry, but it still does not make any sense.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

Well I am not going to judge next gen by looking at cross gen games like Ghosts, BF4 and AC. KZ looks incredible and a massive step above anything this gen.

Just looks like the Pc in 2007 with Crysis.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 S0lidSnake

@GAJY_FILTH said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@Areez said:

@S0lidSnake:

ust looks like the Pc in 2007 with Crysis.

Yup just like Crysis.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Lol PC having Infamous SS graphics in '07 . As for CoD Ghosts on the X1 being 720p must be a rushed port (cross gen game) not to mention few games will be 1080p 60fps as playing at that resolution is very demanding on the hardware. Its not surprising Crytek couldn't pull off 1080p with Ryse given the X1 is not graphically as powerful as it could have been due to the inclusion of Kinect2.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#40  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Eh. They're early next-gen games -- and cross-gen, for that matter. Not surprising they wouldn't take complete advantage of the new hardware. Probably won't be a problem for most consumers, anyway, let alone something games will have to worry about as the coming generation wears on.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 S0lidSnake

NBA2k14 has been confirmed to be 1080p 60 fps on both consoles, and thats one of the best looking next gen games we've seen so far. I refuse to believe that an ugly cross gen game like Ghosts is running at 720p on the X1.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By experience_fade

@S0lidSnake said:

NBA2k14 has been confirmed to be 1080p 60 fps on both consoles, and thats one of the best looking next gen games we've seen so far. I refuse to believe that an ugly cross gen game like Ghosts is running at 720p on the X1.

That's precisely where my thinking is coming from. Not to mention, CoD has always unofficially been aligned with Microsoft. Just doesn't make sense for them to do this.

Loading Video...

By the way, here's a different video of Crysis 1. Of course, watch in HD. Not as good as Infamous, for sure, but uh, dang.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:

Confirmed, but not shown. As the crappy looking PS4 version of CoD (1080p and 60 fps shows) there are other factors at play in game graphics besides resolution and framerate.

Also, what's so hard to believe about CoD Xbone being 720p? Heck, the only 1080p launch game MS is publishing is Forza. So evidently that target is hard to reach on the Xbone.

As CBOAT, MS's own Phil Harrison and many anonymous developers have stated, the Xbone's development tools are primitive and unfamiliar and developers are still struggling with them (like Sony last gen, MS didn't worry time to triangle). Many developers have shown off the PS4 versions of their game but not the Xbone versions, which doesn't guarantee that the Xbone versions will be inferior, but at the least means that getting them to the same point takes more time (which is not something developers seeking to make launch have a lot of).

Couple all that with the facts that the Xbone is less powerful, that Infinity Ward got its guts ripped out (the two top leaders were fired and took many people with them) and that they are trying to release a crossgen game on five or six different platforms (including PC, which is essentially many platforms)...

Anyway, below is a recent post from Crazy Buttocks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702844&page=14

Translation:

Yes. Ripened tools help. Developer familiarity, too. Same thing occurred with PS3 and Cell last time around.

ESRAM is a handicap for now but a workaround will come.

Hardware power is always behind though. Never changing without a complete hardware update. 900-720p will be the norm. The games will be good though, and that's what matters. They'll just struggle more to work on the Xbox One.

I hug you friend Flash. It will get better, I promise.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By S0lidSnake

@experience_fade said:

@S0lidSnake said:

That's precisely where my thinking is coming from. Not to mention, CoD has always unofficially been aligned with Microsoft. Just doesn't make sense for them to do this.

Loading Video...

By the way, here's a different video of Crysis 1. Of course, watch in HD. Not as good as Infamous, for sure, but uh, dang.

The title of the video said photorealistic mod. So yeah, it doesn't count.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I don't really care about the COD game, but it wouldn't surprise me if it looks slightly better on the PS4. But the difference would be small

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pedro

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Confirmed, but not shown. As the crappy looking PS4 version of CoD (1080p and 60 fps shows) there are other factors at play in game graphics besides resolution and framerate.

Also, what's so hard to believe about CoD Xbone being 720p? Heck, the only 1080p launch game MS is publishing is Forza. So evidently that target is hard to reach on the Xbone.

As CBOAT, MS's own Phil Harrison and many anonymous developers have stated, the Xbone's development tools are primitive and unfamiliar and developers are still struggling with them (like Sony last gen, MS didn't worry time to triangle). Many developers have shown off the PS4 versions of their game but not the Xbone versions, which doesn't guarantee that the Xbone versions will be inferior, but at the least means that getting them to the same point takes more time (which is not something developers seeking to make launch have a lot of).

Couple all that with the facts that the Xbone is less powerful, that Infinity Ward got its guts ripped out (the two top leaders were fired and took many people with them) and that they are trying to release a crossgen game on five or six different platforms (including PC, which is essentially many platforms)...

Anyway, below is a recent post from Crazy Buttocks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702844&page=14

Translation:

Yes. Ripened tools help. Developer familiarity, too. Same thing occurred with PS3 and Cell last time around.

ESRAM is a handicap for now but a workaround will come.

Hardware power is always behind though. Never changing without a complete hardware update. 900-720p will be the norm. The games will be good though, and that's what matters. They'll just struggle more to work on the Xbox One.

I hug you friend Flash. It will get better, I promise.

I don't understand the claim of the Xbox One tools being primitive and unfamiliar when the similarities between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One design are so apparent. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One architecture are painfully similar, one is however weaker. So the claim of disparity between developing for the two systems seems to contradict the hardware specifications. I would like to know what I am missing.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

I don't understand the claim of the Xbox One tools being primitive and unfamiliar when the similarities between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One design are so apparent. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One architecture are painfully similar, one is however weaker. So the claim of disparity between developing for the two systems seems to contradict the hardware specifications. I would like to know what I am missing.

People seem to be having issues with the ESRAM. I don’t know much about what frame buffers are or how they work, but some developers on gaf commented on how the 32MB ESRAM may not be enough for a 1080p picture with decent AA.

The tools probably come into play when you look at all the other additional hardware the X1 has. PS4 devs do not have to mess with ESRAM, DMEs and the SHAPE audio processor which is largely used for Kinect. That and it is much more powerful so devs can just brute force it then worry about relying on MS to provide tools that best take advantage of this hardware. According to CBOAT, they were originally targeting a 2014 release but were forced to launch early after Sony revealed their console on Feb 20th. That’s also why their tools are behind.

Many on the internet were discounting the effect GDDR5 will have on games and GPU’s apparent advantage as insignificant. Yet we have yet to see ANY footage of multiplatform games running on the X1. I believe only BF4 MP was shown at a tradeshow and pixel counters immediately noticed how it was only 720p. Even TitanFall, an Xbox console exclusive has been shown running on PC.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Areez

@S0lidSnake:

I take anything out of GAF with a grain of salt. I am also taking next gen visuals with a grain of salt too. Especially after playing a few games on the PS4.

Although KZ may be the exception but even some of the recent game play footage seems slightly less sharp than previous videos.

Facts...we know both consoles can run games at 1080p and 60 fps....Here is the interesting thing about 60fps....you better have an HDTV that handle this....

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

Meh...rumors...720p...1080p...I dont really care.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By S0lidSnake

KZ has improved since we last saw it at E3.

You played OctoDad and Knack. I think everyone here is taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

Moving on, Adam Boyes (Sony exec) just confirmed that PS4 version of CoD Ghosts in 1080p. So since a non-Activision person knows the resolution of Ghosts, this makes Albert Panello's 'I dont know' come off as a non-denial from MS.

As hard as it is to fathom, this rumor is true for now unless IW can improve the resolution in the next 30 days or so. Or maybe a patch. It's probably what Carnage said, IW has no real talent left and they are struggling with making the game for six different platforms.

Also lol at the gaf poster who broke the rumor.