RPGs with great stories and engaging characters.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Requiem19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Requiem19
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hello there. So I'm looking for some great RPG games I haven't played yet that feature great stories and interesting characters. If it helps, these are the RPG games I have already played: Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, The Witcher, , Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3, Oblivion, KOTOR and SW:TOR. Yes, big BioWare fan. Haha. Oh and please give me your honest opinion of Skyrim. I don't want to shell out $50 on a game I might not like... Thanks! :)
Malekoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Malekoth
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts
You already mentioned the best that I know of. Being a fan of Bioware, you may already know of a game called Jade Empire. It is a martial arts themed rpg with entertaining combat. You can find it on Steam for $15 or xbox marketplace. If you don't mind the western theme, Red Dead Redemption is a good one. I really enjoyed Skyrim. I did encounter some bugs, but for the price versus the playtime, I would highly recommend it. The first time I finished the game I logged over 100 hours, and my questlog was still full. If you did enjoy Oblivion, I would give it a try. I also am still looking for the same type of game you are, though I haven't found anything new yet.
The_ham_ham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 The_ham_ham
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.
picho86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 picho86
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
There are plenty of great RPGs. The question is how far back you are willing to go. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were awesome. Also Fallout 1, 2. The new ones are great too. Arcanum is amazing once you get past the beginning. Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines is a must play, only be sure to use the unofficial patch. These will be enough for now I guess. There are more great games, but these are my favorites. Skyrim is great fun, much better than Oblivion which was unplayable for me due to the awkward leveling system. I hated getting weaker on each level up, until I was killed by every guard.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="The_ham_ham"]You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.

Replay value ? You restarted an RPG from the beggining again, why ?
The_ham_ham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_ham_ham
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="The_ham_ham"]You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.

Replay value ? You restarted an RPG from the beggining again, why ?

Vast RPG's like Skyrim offer various places and quests you hadn't done before. There is that, and i just like replaying epic games like watching a good movie for the second or third time, the value doesn't run out for me on the first go.
The_ham_ham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_ham_ham
Also in Skyrim there are different classes to play. Playing as a mage is a completely different experience to playing as a thief, one hand/two hand warrior etc.
PurpleSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 PurpleSmile
Member since 2010 • 1068 Posts
if you like Oblivion you'll love Skyrim plus there's plenty of DLC now. And you should try Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Aesthete18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Aesthete18
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts
[QUOTE="The_ham_ham"]You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.

I feel ashamed to call myself a gamer when I see something like this. It amazes me how people can play with 12 characters over and over again. Can I ask a few questions? Did you finish the game with all 12 characters? How much time did you clock in for all the 12 together?
The_ham_ham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_ham_ham
[QUOTE="Aesthete18"][QUOTE="The_ham_ham"]You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.

I feel ashamed to call myself a gamer when I see something like this. It amazes me how people can play with 12 characters over and over again. Can I ask a few questions? Did you finish the game with all 12 characters? How much time did you clock in for all the 12 together?

Oh, lol. You are ashamed to call yourself a gamer because someone gets more out of a game than you do? I finished it on the first play through and went back for more because i think the game is beautiful, music is excellent, and it deserves to be played over and over. The other characters i didn't finish the main story, but i had a different experience each time. I don't know how many hours i have clocked in the game, probably around 300 or more. I also have a full time job working over 50 hours and an active social life if the point of your post is that i don't have a life.
Marirranya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Marirranya
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts
get DOSBOX or something get Chronotrigger win :3
Aesthete18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Aesthete18
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts
[QUOTE="The_ham_ham"][QUOTE="Aesthete18"][QUOTE="The_ham_ham"]You havn't played Skyrim?? You are in for a good time ;) RPG is my fav type of game because of the amount of replay value you get. Skyrim is really, really good for this. For instance, i bought it on release date, since then i hadn't stopped playing until a couple of months ago. I have 12 different char's all of them above level 30, some level 50+. It is a really immersive, beautiful game and very addictive. There are different classes you can do, my favourite being sneak thief/assassin. Story wise it is decent, but there are so many missions and side quests you forget about the main story. I would rate this my 2nd fav RPG, first being Fallout NV (with add ons). There is a huge modding community for Skyrim as well.

Oh, lol. You are ashamed to call yourself a gamer because someone gets more out of a game than you do? I finished it on the first play through and went back for more because i think the game is beautiful, music is excellent, and it deserves to be played over and over. The other characters i didn't finish the main story, but i had a different experience each time. I don't know how many hours i have clocked in the game, probably around 300 or more. I also have a full time job working over 50 hours and an active social life if the point of your post is that i don't have a life.

No, my point wasn't to say you had no life, it was more of envy that you can enjoy it for so long when I just get bored after my first play through. I would have loved to play as another race and explore being a mage or something but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. Sorry if it came off wrong, it was meant as a compliment.
Ameliahunter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ameliahunter1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
What about Neverwinter Nights 2, The Mask of the Betrayer, Baldur's Gate 2?
GameBoi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GameBoi92
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Chrono Trigger for the SNES is widely considered one of, if not THE best RPG of all time in terms of character development and story. It really is an awesome game :) Final Fantasy X has the best story out of all the FF's, in MY opinion. Many people will disagree, but **** 'em lol. BUTT idk if you have PS3 or XBOX or a Wii, because there are so many older RPG masterpieces.