RPGs - Need Suggestions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MuffinatorMan
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hello to anyone that decides to read this post. What I'm hoping to get out of this post is a great list of recommendations of RPGs, either new or old, that may interest my thirst. You see, I find the "RPG" genre to be running about the same line, really. I find that *most* games are somewhat, or mostly related to an Open-World RPG, whereas your character has control over vast areas and the story can be, in ways the game allows, twisted to your "fitting." However, Open-World RPGs tend to bore me now. I know I haven't added it yet, but I find a lot of these to be Action RPGs too. And, mind you, I have nothing against these type of games. I just find that they are slowly dwindling my interest, anymore. What I'm looking for are the turn-based RPGs. Finaly Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Legend of Dragoon, etc. From what it seems like, most RPGs do not follow this type of setting other than Final Fantasy, with 13 not really being to my personal liking. So, to those of you that do decide to read this (and furthermore post), what games would you recommend for me? I'm looking for games as old as PS1 to as new as what may have come out last week without me even noticing. My ideal "view" would be games similar to Final Fantasy or Chrono Cross/Trigger, however I am willing to experiment. Platforms I currently play on/own: PS1/2/3, Xbox 360 (rarely, haven't found anything worthwhile), PC (mostly, as of right now), PSP Thanks in advance to anyone's time taken up to post here.
insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are 2 good turn-based RPGs which are available for Xbox 360. Also, they may not be turn-based as such but you could try playing the "Tales of..." series as well. You can pick up Tales of Graces f for a decent price on PS3 now.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There are plenty of final Fantasy games between the systems you own.  There's also Lost Odyssey on the 360.  The PS1 has tons of RPGs (from what I udnerstand).  I'd reccomend Dragon Quest VII (haven't played it but theDQ games all tend to be very similar and are all old school in their gameplay).  Additionally, there is Dark Souls on PS3 and 360, and I've also heard great things about Ni No Kuni (supposed to be a monster fighting RPG simlar to Pokemon).

I'd highly, highly reccomend getting a DS if you really want lots of great JRPGs.  There are plenty of them on the DS, and should satisfy the itch you have. some of my favs are Dragon Quest IX, Pokemon Heartgold, Dragon Quest V and VI, Chrono trigger the FFIV remake Knights in the Nightmare (which is also on Psp... It's an SRPG/ bullet hell hybrid... Amazing game, but has a steep learning curve. I'd reccomend doing some online research beforehand) and Radiant Historia.

Hope this helps :)

MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuffinatorMan
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are 2 good turn-based RPGs which are available for Xbox 360. Also, they may not be turn-based as such but you could try playing the "Tales of..." series as well. You can pick up Tales of Graces f for a decent price on PS3 now.insanegame377
I have played Lost Odyssey, but I couldn't quite keep my attention towards it. I haven't tried Blue Dragon, so maybe I'll give that a go. I have played two Tales games; Tales of Vesperia (didn't get to complete it) and Tales of Fantasia (I think) for the PSP. Maybe I should just go back to Vesperia and finish it! Haha. Thanks for the reply!
MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MuffinatorMan

There are plenty of final Fantasy games between the systems you own.  There's also Lost Odyssey on the 360.  The PS1 has tons of RPGs (from what I udnerstand).  I'd reccomend Dragon Quest VII (haven't played it but theDQ games all tend to be very similar and are all old school in their gameplay).  Additionally, there is Dark Souls on PS3 and 360, and I've also heard great things about Ni No Kuni (supposed to be a monster fighting RPG simlar to Pokemon).

I'd highly, highly reccomend getting a DS if you really want lots of great JRPGs.  There are plenty of them on the DS, and should satisfy the itch you have. some of my favs are Dragon Quest IX, Pokemon Heartgold, Dragon Quest V and VI, Chrono trigger the FFIV remake Knights in the Nightmare (which is also on Psp... It's an SRPG/ bullet hell hybrid... Amazing game, but has a steep learning curve. I'd reccomend doing some online research beforehand) and Radiant Historia.

turtlethetaffer
I do actually have Dark Souls, but not quite what I'm looking for. Great game nonetheless. Not sure about Dragon Quest; I'll have to give that a look! For Ni No Kuni, not so sure. It's mainly the art style that turns me away from it, but I'd have to give it a more in-depth look. I have played Chrono Trigger; great game. Pokemon was like the pinnacle of my gaming haha, so probably no more of that. I'll have to take a look into Knights in the NIghtmare. Seems quite interesting. Not heard of Radiant Historia, either. So, thank you, many recommendations here that I'll be researching!
MichaelDBZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MichaelDBZ
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

You may not like it but look into Resonance of Fate which was made by Tri-Ace. I recently just finished it and while the story feels very vague (even at the end) the characters are engaging. The game is by no means easy unless you do every mission given to you, and still I found some very difficult encounters. Combat sits very nicely between turn based and action gameplay. Also (I think this will be the main turn off for you) it doesn't have a list of commands like "attack" "magic" ect.  In a way gameplay is a bit like a chess game. The more you play the better you understand it and success depends on how well you understand the battle system. Probably a little to far away from what you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it since you are "willing to experiment" :) 

MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MuffinatorMan

You may not like it but look into Resonance of Fate which was made by Tri-Ace. I recently just finished it and while the story feels very vague (even at the end) the characters are engaging. The game is by no means easy unless you do every mission given to you, and still I found some very difficult encounters. Combat sits very nicely between turn based and action gameplay. Also (I think this will be the main turn off for you) it doesn't have a list of commands like "attack" "magic" ect.  In a way gameplay is a bit like a chess game. The more you play the better you understand it and success depends on how well you understand the battle system. Probably a little to far away from what you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it since you are "willing to experiment" :) 

MichaelDBZ
I will have to give that a look at! Thank you for the suggestion!
tinoshke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 tinoshke
Member since 2003 • 704 Posts

I highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles to you for the PS3. An amazing game that can be at times quite challenging.

MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuffinatorMan

I highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles to you for the PS3. An amazing game that can be at times quite challenging.

tinoshke
I was thinking about that, but I think I may give it a go. Thank you for your suggestion! And thanks again to everyone else. I have a great list now I can go over! Keep them coming if anyone has anything.
sophia_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sophia_x
Xenogears is a really epic RPG. Quite the masterpiece in my opinion despite disc 2 (which I still loved while everyone else lamented on it).
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

MuffinatorMan

I do actually have Dark Souls, but not quite what I'm looking for. Great game nonetheless. Not sure about Dragon Quest; I'll have to give that a look! For Ni No Kuni, not so sure. It's mainly the art style that turns me away from it, but I'd have to give it a more in-depth look. I have played Chrono Trigger; great game. Pokemon was like the pinnacle of my gaming haha, so probably no more of that. I'll have to take a look into Knights in the NIghtmare. Seems quite interesting. Not heard of Radiant Historia, either. So, thank you, many recommendations here that I'll be researching!

Dragon Quest is pretty old school... It's not changed much since the days it began (obviously there have been changes but not too much to the core gameplay).  It's basically old school JRPG gameplay in its purest form... Kinda minimal and goofy stories, random encounters, turn based battles, etc.

I would also reccomend Xenoblade, but you didn't say you have a Wii. Just know Xenobade is an amazing game, probably my favorite console game of the generation.

MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuffinatorMan

[QUOTE="MuffinatorMan"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Dragon Quest is pretty old school... It's not changed much since the days it began (obviously there have been changes but not too much to the core gameplay).  It's basically old school JRPG gameplay in its purest form... Kinda minimal and goofy stories, random encounters, turn based battles, etc.

I would also reccomend Xenoblade, but you didn't say you have a Wii. Just know Xenobade is an amazing game, probably my favorite console game of the generation.

Is Xenoblade a predecessor to Xenogears? (I think I got that right...) But once I get some extra time you can definitely guarantee my researching and poking at some of these games :p
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="MuffinatorMan"] I do actually have Dark Souls, but not quite what I'm looking for. Great game nonetheless. Not sure about Dragon Quest; I'll have to give that a look! For Ni No Kuni, not so sure. It's mainly the art style that turns me away from it, but I'd have to give it a more in-depth look. I have played Chrono Trigger; great game. Pokemon was like the pinnacle of my gaming haha, so probably no more of that. I'll have to take a look into Knights in the NIghtmare. Seems quite interesting. Not heard of Radiant Historia, either. So, thank you, many recommendations here that I'll be researching!MuffinatorMan

Is Xenoblade a predecessor to Xenogears? (I think I got that right...) But once I get some extra time you can definitely guarantee my researching and poking at some of these games :p

As I understand it Xenoblade is its own game, although apparently there are many common themes that were in other Xeno games (mechs, Gods, etc.) I can't compare Blade to Gears or Saga because I have only played Blade.  But trust me when I say that if you love long, expansive and epic games, Xenoblade will fit the bill. I mean, it takes place on the corpse of two titans for goodness sake! As in, the world is essentialy a corpse that you are traversing. It's really, really awesome.  Especially if you love sci fi RPGs, although it's a mix of sci fi and fantasy.

FScott0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FScott0
You join as a citizen of your country and can fight in wars, start a political party or military unit and rise to the top. At the moment there is a World War, the USA is being invaded by the UK, Serbia and Poland! Your country needs you! http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/F.+Scott
RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts
It's a bitch to find, but see if you can get a copy of Phantom Brave. Sounds like it's right up your alley.
MuffinatorMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MuffinatorMan
It's a bitch to find, but see if you can get a copy of Phantom Brave. Sounds like it's right up your alley. RoniHot
Alright, I'll have to give that a look as well. Thank you for your suggestion!
Avatar image for DeadSquirrelpie
DeadSquirrelpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeadSquirrelpie
Even if you didn´t like FF13 you should give 13-2 a shot, they kept the good things like the battlesystem and opened up the world. The Dragon Age-series have a story and density that would keep you drawn in, even if it isn´t turnbased. If you´ve already played the main series of the generation you could try out The Last Remnant. It has a new interesting take on the turnbased battles.
Toddy615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toddy615
You sound JUST like me. My 2 favorite RPGs of all time are Final Fantasy 8 and Chrono Trigger. Not a huge fan of the newer "RPG"..Demon's/Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. And if you've never played Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) youre missing out on a real treat. It's lengthy, and leveling, getting gold, etc. can be grueling, but it RULES! Also agreed on the Tales games, with Tales of Vesperia being one of the more engaging RPG experiences for me as of late. Everything I love about an RPG: Cool main character, group of adventurers, go to a town, upgrade weapons and armor (weapons show on the characters aesthetically, even in cutscenes, i personally love that!), talk to everyone, find out about a dungeon, go there, slay monsters, level up, fight a cool boss, etc. A tad cookie cutter with the JRPG elements and cutsie characters but the character development is really good and I personally loved the story, weapon/armor synthesizing is fun and customizing characters and battle strategy is great. Plus there is TONS to do once youre about 3/4 through the game as far as finding ultimate weapons, abilities, mystic artes, etc. Cant recommend it enough. Another exceptionally great RPG is Persona 3 (PS2). Social link system is really neat and unique (interacting with friends and acquaintances gives bonuses to battle/abilities), awesome turn based battles, cool modern world setting with high school kids slaying demons in an evil tower at night using alter ego-like "personas" to cast magic. Very very awesome game. Look it up it's pretty highly acclaimed. I loved Xenogears on the PS1 but I personally felt that Xenoblade:Chronicles (Wii) is extremely overrated, not to mention overpriced! Good luck trying to find a copy anywhere for less $100-$120, oft times more! It plays like a MMORPG with a storyline. If you want an awesome Wii RPG I have to mention The Last Story. Loved everything about it. Great story, great characters, awesome combat system (diffusing magic circles FTW) and cool weapon and armor upgrade system. That one is up there with Tales of V for me as the two best I've played in many years. Good luck and thanks to everyone responding to this thread. I'm like you OP...I'm a little old school, I like my RPGs to contain all the gameplay elements that made me love the genre in the first place, but certainly dont mind a nice overhaul or coat of paint as long as the key fundamentals are still there.
minglim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 minglim
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
a really good game that almost NO ONE played is "vagrant story" on the ps1. it's now available for purchase to play on psp. great battle system, puzzle solving, and cut scenes. one of my favorite of all time.
zoinkshaggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zoinkshaggy
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

You should check out The Last Remnant on the Xbox 360.  Also Arc Rise Fantasia on the Wii is a really great rpg.  

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

You might enjoy Nier. It has a great story with amazing characters. The dialouge between them is very entertaining. The world of Nier might lack personality, but the characters greatly make up for it. I havent finished it yet but really enjoying it.

The gameplay can get repetitive, but it's not that bad. The bosses are fun though. The biggest problem with the gameplay are the sidequests, and some segments of fighting the same enemies over and over again. The controls are smooth though, and your character moves fast and agile, so it doesnt feel slow and clunky.