Romance in video games, what do you think??

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

So im kinda curious, what is your opinion about having romance in video games espsicially RPG games?

Personally i think Romance adds a good taste in a video game and makes it more intersting and more addictive, thats just my opinion lol and im relly hoping that Final Fantasy versus XIII will have more romance into it .

Now its your turn, what is your opinion??

psyball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 psyball
Member since 2003 • 752 Posts

There can be any kind of story telling elements in games, just like any other media form.

Unfortunatly its almost always in bad taste,PARTICULARLY in rpgs, how many times have we seen the ditsygirl with the extremely high pitched voice fall for the main character every anti-socialite can relate too. revolting... but just my opinion.:roll:

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I can't think of a game that did it well, but I'd like to. I mean, there are elements of romance in Planescape Torment and The Darkness, although in both games it's more of dealing with loss of love than anything else. FF8 is probably the most high profile game based around romance, but I felt that aspect of the game was the least successful part as Rinoa was about as sympathetic and annoying as a thorn in your shoe.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
I long for a good game to have romance in it this generation. So far the only one I can think about is Mass Effect. I long for a game that can develop a romantic relationship with its characters in relation to the storyline like in FFX and FF8
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
It can be tasteful, but I've never seen a "serious" romance carried off in a game. The quirky Bastila romance in KotOR was amusing. By contrast, the ME romance tried to be serious, and it sorta fell flat imo.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I long for a good game to have romance in it this generation. So far the only one I can think about is Mass Effect. I long for a game that can develop a romantic relationship with its characters in relation to the storyline like in FFX and FF8Soulreavercross

Yes i also think the only game that had a great romance in it was FFX. personally till now i havent played a game as good as FFX

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
Id like to see a rommance event in a game have "unexpected" consequences in the sequel like say in Mass Effect 2 you find out that either your character or Ashly/Liara are pregnent from that little thing you had in the first game (you could get good roleplaying choices out of an event like that!) :O
allie2590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 allie2590
Member since 2009 • 283 Posts

If it works, then why not?

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I think it's all about the writing. Sometimes you don't even need writing, as per The Darkness

UnsaidWarning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 UnsaidWarning
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts
A lot of romance adds to games, but I think if its just thrown in like a lot of games do, to just have it and check off the list, then its stupid.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

allie2590

Pretty much how I feel. I don't care what type of story a game has, as long as it is told well.

ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts

allie2590

Exactly. If the story is told well and isn't horribly cheesy, then I'd say go for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
FF8 is probably the most high profile game based around romance, but I felt that aspect of the game was the least successful part as Rinoa was about as sympathetic and annoying as a thorn in your shoe.DJ_Lae
Lol I agree. I think the thing you are supposed to walk away from the game with is that, Squall and Rinoa were really trying to find eachother to fix the mistake caused by their parents' inability to be together, and it is up to the player to determine whether or not they could have been a couple. Keep in mind that we can't always describe or pinpoint love, and maybe as the outside viewers, we can't really imagine what is going on from their perspectives. So, I think a lot of that romance was left open-ended, for the player to use their own imagination. But I think romance in video games is a fine story plot, a fine story plot in anything really. It just has to be conveyed well and not saturate the game so much that it takes away from other aspects of it. Like Lost Odyssey for example, this isn't really an example of romance, but rather of love in general, the game gets way too dramatic and drags out its sad or joyous moments for minutes on end, sometimes to the point of sickeningness. But anyway I think the Japanese just have a different view of this sort of things than we western gamers do, so maybe we are the ones that get sickened too easily.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#14 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

The only game that I have played where it was done well was Baldur's Gate 2.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

95% of romance in video games is terrible, like Force Unleashed.

but that 5% makes it all worth it. Shadow Hearts series did it best.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

there arent many good ones too be honest

my mine gripe is that most of the time, their overly complicated ("no i cant, i just cant *sob sob*")

i could do without em

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Any romantic scene or theme is more than welcome in my book. It would also be really nice if more games incorporated some passionate kissing and clothes being taken off, followed by some hot steamy sex. :D
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

KOTOR 1. Mass Effect, ICO, and SotC come to mind. I think you were trying to track down a wife in King's Quest II. That whole classic love triangle business between Gwenevere, Lancelot, and King Arthur that was touched upon in Conquests of Camelot. There are lots of examples of child-like crushes. (Psychonauts/Skies of Arcadia) But yeah, it's pretty rare to have a serious, believable romance play out in games.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Any romantic scene or theme is more than welcome in my book. It would also be really nice if more games incorporated some passionate kissing and clothes being taken off, followed by some hot steamy sex. :DBladesOfAthena
Lol, imagine the amount of complainers that game would get but it would be interesting to play a game like that just once. I don't mind so much but it would be nice if they actually made a great story with a strong relationship element to a game...RPG preferably because it works best with that genre. There really aren't that many romantic games...Peach kissing Mario on the nose was about as steamy as it got in gaming world Lol, actually FF10 was about the only game that had a romantic seen but no cloths of unfortunately. It might happen one day but until then we wait.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Gammit10
Oh man, I forgot about that. I don't know how I did, though. Jaheira's romance in particular was quite touching, even if the game (and bugs) made you go to great lengths to advance it.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Anything done right has a place in videogames. I'd love to see serious relationships in more games.

brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts

What about portal wth the compainion cube? (Only joking)

Apparently (Though I'm not entirely certain of it)there are quite a few games in japan that never get out of the country that romance is a central point of the game.

Hydra-Monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hydra-Monster
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

So im kinda curious, what is your opinion about having romance in video games espsicially RPG games?

Personally i think Romance adds a good taste in a video game and makes it more intersting and more addictive, thats just my opinion lol and im relly hoping that Final Fantasy versus XIII will have more romance into it .

finalstar2007
why would you remind the gamer their BF/GF, while playing games? they will just leave the chair you know .. ;)
joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

finalstar2007

It depends... I like it when its in the story, it usually loses all effect when its the players choice though, for example. The Sims and Fable.

Not real romance lol. In games like MGS4 it works really well though.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

These games I think done romance or love great.....Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy (Prince and Farah), GTA IV (Niko and Kate, if you choose to date her), Lost Odyssey (Kaim and Sarah, Jansen and Ming), Final Fantasy VI (Celes and Locke, but Celes also shows love for Terra), Final Fantasy VIII (Squall and Rinoa), and Final Fantasy X (Tidus and Yuna).

Spoilers for Heroes of Might and Magic IV....

The nature campaign (the elvish faction) is about two lovers, Elwin and Sharea.....Sharea and Elwin clearly love eachother, but Lord Harke is jealous, sends Elwin on a very dangerous mission and puts mind control on Sharea. Elwin survives this dangerous (but important, because his assistance of the white tigers saves him) mission, frees Sharea and exposes Lork Harke as a traitor. In the final camapign mission, Elwin, who is now king, faces off against Harke. Before he does, he leaves Sharea on the island to keep her away from Harkeand tells her after a battle is over, a ship will come by, blue banner for victory, and red banner for defeat. If red, Sharea would kill herself. So after you defeat and capture Lord Harke, you as a player have to pick the right boat. You can pick the red boat and lose the campaign scenario even after you won the final tough battle. But boarding and sailing with the blue boat wins the campaign.

I thought this was a nice romantic touch.

dadou_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dadou_gamer
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

Well.. Romance in games are uncommon.. hmmm... I think a good romance could be entertaining! Girls always love romance!!!:D

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Lol, imagine the amount of complainers that game would get but it would be interesting to play a game like that just once. I don't mind so much but it would be nice if they actually made a great story with a strong relationship element to a game...RPG preferably because it works best with that genre. There really aren't that many romantic games...Peach kissing Mario on the nose was about as steamy as it got in gaming world Lol, actually FF10 was about the only game that had a romantic seen but no cloths of unfortunately. It might happen one day but until then we wait.stike22

Hmm, I can only think of one game that had a more steamy love scene - MGS3. Too bad it was short-lived though. For those who haven't played it yet, you'll have to find out for yourself. ;)

I'm sure there are more but I can't recall them at the moment.

PG_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PG_Chimp
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts
If its implemented right so that it doesn't come off as chessy then why not?
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="stike22"] Lol, imagine the amount of complainers that game would get but it would be interesting to play a game like that just once. I don't mind so much but it would be nice if they actually made a great story with a strong relationship element to a game...RPG preferably because it works best with that genre. There really aren't that many romantic games...Peach kissing Mario on the nose was about as steamy as it got in gaming world Lol, actually FF10 was about the only game that had a romantic seen but no cloths of unfortunately. It might happen one day but until then we wait.BladesOfAthena

Hmm, I can only think of one game that had a more steamy love scene - MGS3. Too bad it was short-lived though. For those who haven't played it yet, you'll have to find out for yourself. ;)

I'm sure there are more but I can't recall them at the moment.

Between Snake and the chinese double...no wait triple agent, yeh very short lived. but worth it Lol. I am sure I know more as well but for some reason I just can't recall them.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

joelgargan

In games like MGS4 it works really well though.

Yeah, while not 100% part of the main plot, the romance between Meryl and Johny in MGS4 was exceptionally well done and slickly interlaced with the game's thematic.

Same goes for the [subtle] love triangle - The Boss, Naked Snake and Eva in Snake Eater. Very well delivered.

FFXIII seems to be having quite a lot of different characters, some overly serious, some cluncky and humorous, so yeah, a love story, wether it is main or side story, would be great and wouldn't feel out of place in the exotic and excentricscenario the game promises.

Mojito007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mojito007
Member since 2009 • 191 Posts

Yes to romance in videogames. In actions too, not only RPG's.

Max Payne's romance carried out perfectly. The sex scene was done tastefully and didn't feel awkward.

Videogames are a form of art, just like movies. Every freakin' movie has a romantic subplot. But we have to do something about the whining punks like Fox. Oh noes, a sex scene in a videogame. How inhumane. Get with the times.

GTA needs a new girlfriend system. Ditch the boring dating crap, girlfriends should appear only in cutscenes or missions.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I honestly hate it, especially if it becomes the main part of the story and most especially if it suddenly pops out in the middle of the game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

When well done, or even competently done, I've got no problem with romance in videogames.

Games with interesting romantic relationships releasedin the past few years are Persona 3 and 4, Uncharted and GTA4.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
I can't think of a game that did it well, but I'd like to. I mean, there are elements of romance in Planescape Torment and The Darkness, although in both games it's more of dealing with loss of love than anything else. FF8 is probably the most high profile game based around romance, but I felt that aspect of the game was the least successful part as Rinoa was about as sympathetic and annoying as a thorn in your shoe.DJ_Lae
lunar silver star story complete is the only game i can think of that has a strong theme of romance. more than ff8. its rare to see an rpg that is focus mainly/majority on romance w/ good story. i think romance in video games makes the story much much better imo.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I welcome it if it doesn't feel fake and ackward to watch.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Well.. Romance in games are uncommon.. hmmm... I think a good romance could be entertaining! Girls always love romance!!!:D

dadou_gamer

:| I actually find it irritating in RPG's. Although, I didn't mind it in some games as a side story ( and if dating sims can be considered romance, then I take it back. I do like that sort of " romance " ) . But as a main theme of some sort... Ugh it just annoys the heck out of me for some reason.

webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

For the most part no. Storylines in games are very often just there to explain why u are doing what ur doing which is fine because i dont really care why im blowing crap up in an action game as long as its fun but adding cliche romances to already cliche storylines makes the stories annoying. If the game devs didnt have some great story in mind when making the game i dont even think a story should be that importaint.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Its a great thing... the major problem is, the romance sub-plots are mostly written by people who most likely have not even experienced it in real-life and are just going on what they think it is.

Mass Effect did a good job at trying to include a mature romance sub-plot into the game, but it fell short because of a lack of development between Shepard and the romantic interests. It just jumped from one point in the relationship to the next... very much unlike real-life relationships, especially one's that involve "love."

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Well, it seems to be it's getting kinda obligotory in the RPG field. Nonetheless it can be pretty cool. Baldur's Gate 2, nuff said.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

#41 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="Gammit10"]

Oh man, I forgot about that. I don't know how I did, though. Jaheira's romance in particular was quite touching, even if the game (and bugs) made you go to great lengths to advance it.

Agreed. The flying elf seemed to flighty (no pun intended), and the drow seemed too dominatrix-esque, so I settled on Jaheira. During a later playthrough, I tried romancing the drow, but never finished that game.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I wrote a blog abouta numbergames with stories that focus on romance long ago. I think Team Ico games are in the lead for not only the story is romantic, the atmosphere and setting are also romantic. I highly recommend playing Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

IAMTHEJOKER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 IAMTHEJOKER88
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

As long as they try not to really replicate a real relationship like in Mass Effect then yes i think it certainly spices it up. But the romance sub-plot in ME was a bit sad in my opnion. (Although Good for those who struggle with the opposite sex in reality...)

Something like the cheesey dark-side romance plot with Bastila in KOTOR, [Let's take over the galaxy together!].

Ronin893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Ronin893
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

I long for a good game to have romance in it this generation. So far the only one I can think about is Mass Effect. I long for a game that can develop a romantic relationship with its characters in relation to the storyline like in FFX and FF8Soulreavercross

FFVIII & FFX are my favorite example of this. When I play a game I like to think of myself as the main character, the hero, the one who gets the girl, the one who saves the girl. When I played FFVIII all I wanted to do was fall in love. Yes to romance in games when it calls for it of course. Don't force it.... that's just wrong.:o

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts
Yeah right when the topic came to mind, I thought of Mass Effect. That was nice because it wasnt forced upon you and didnt really affect the plot at all. So if you WANTED to pursue the romance thing, you could. But you certainly didnt have to...
Ulises2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ulises2012
Member since 2006 • 499 Posts

Yeah right when the topic came to mind, I thought of Mass Effect. That was nice because it wasnt forced upon you and didnt really affect the plot at all. So if you WANTED to pursue the romance thing, you could. But you certainly didnt have to...KcurtorMas
I agree

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I like romance. It's nice.

Even if it's corny I like to see happy endings :)

Rickettsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rickettsia
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts
i definitively dont like romance in video games, i like the romance when they leave it into the imagination, like in old RPGs. Romance just ruin the game just look at FF8, it was the crappiest RPG i ever played, i liked it in my younger ages because i was ignorant and i liked squall but i really suffered played it, i dont think that romance is a strong conflict in a story of an RPG, and i don't consider that shadow of colossus romantic is about love but not romantic
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I'm up for a good romance story as long as it's done well.