Rise of the Videogame......BIASED

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snowman1771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 snowman1771
Member since 2006 • 156 Posts
Did anybody else notice that the Rise of the Videogame show on Discovery Channel is biased against Nintendo? Episode 2 had about 5 minutes on the NES and less than 2 minutes on the Super NES and ZERO minutes on the N64, but they spent 10 to 15 minutes on the Sega Genisis and about 20 minute on the Playstation 1, and nobody from Nintendo has spoken on the show, but they had Peter Moore (ex-head of Microsoft and Sega), and at the end of Episode 2 they said that 3D (Playstation 1 & 2) is in and the era of the portly plumber (Mario) is out. It is a good show but just a little against Nintendo. Let me know what you think.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
The era of Mario is out? They must have missed the memo that SMG is out and is selling well.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I caught part of the first episode, but found myself nodding off. It was remarkable just how boring they were making all of it out to be. I didn't bother tuning in for more. Even Icons on G4 was better than this.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The era of Mario is out? They must have missed the memo that SMG is out and is selling well.King9999

Not only that but it is almost universally critically acclaimed.

I haven't watched this show but I am now intrigued by it to see what their actual intention is.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I'm intrigued, but I'm still not going to watch it.

Dungeonaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Dungeonaire
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think you are putting way too much thought and concern into that. I highly doubt they are anti-Nintendo. I'm sure that's jsut the way the thing unfolded for them.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.Dungeonaire

The NES and SNES were far more significant than the systems that came after.

greenghost123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 greenghost123
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.Dungeonaire

Barely talking aboutNintendo on a show called 'The Rise of the Videogame', is like barely talking about Germany's involvement in World War II.

Dungeonaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dungeonaire
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

There are dozens of possible reasons for the situation, yet the one everyone jumps to is "bias". It's the easy-out instead of thinking about it.

Maybe they weren't able to get someone from nintendo to comment on the show? Maybe everything they dug up about the NES/SNES has already been said a million times in every other publication and repeating it again would just cause boredom for viewers? It was only a 5 minute difference anyways, that's not a big deal. It's not like they neglected to mention them entirely and pretended they didn't exist.

snowman1771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 snowman1771
I'm not a Nintendo fan boy, but I think it is bias when you don't have any time on the N64. It wasn't a little fad and it also introduced the analog stick.
snowman1771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 snowman1771

[QUOTE="Dungeonaire"]Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.greenghost123

Barely talking aboutNintendo on a show called 'The Rise of the Videogame', is like barely talking about Germany's involvement in World War II.

you are so right.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
[QUOTE="greenghost123"]

[QUOTE="Dungeonaire"]Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.snowman1771

you are so right.

Die, Nazi Nintendo pigdogs!

Nah, I'm sure there's no hidden agenda in there. It just went that way. Maybe they had trouble getting ppl from Nintendo to talk to them.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

They spent more then egnough time on Mario if it´s the same 4-part stuff I´ve seen.But Nintendo-Fanboys always start complaining if some others are mentioned anyway,so why do I post here...XD

It´s not like Nintendo had done everything alone.If you informed yourself well you should know it.Nintendo did a lot of course without any question.But since Nintendo was not very successful after the SNES and Mario didn´t have the same popularity anymore and the fact that the "Rise" wasn´t affected by Mario 64 at all,you should have informed yourself instead of posting.And to those who still think Nintendo invented the Analog-Stick: First it was for PCs and the first Console with a Analog-Pad was the Saturn.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

[QUOTE="Dungeonaire"]Ah yes, they didn't pander to your interests, therefore they must be "biased"... The term de jour of fanboys everywhere these days when they don't get their way.snowman1771
I'm not a Nintendo fan boy, but I think it is bias when you don't have any time on the N64. It wasn't a little fad and it also introduced the analog stick.

Introduced it to you, perhaps, but not to the world. Nintendo did not invent the d-pad, the analog stick, the douch-screen,or motion-control, despite what many seem to think--they merely popularized them. There's a very big difference.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

They spent more then egnough time on Mario if it´s the same 4-part stuff I´ve seen.But Nintendo-Fanboys always start complaining if some others are mentioned anyway,so why do I post here...XD

It´s not like Nintendo had done everything alone.If you informed yourself well you should know it.Nintendo did a lot of course without any question.But since Nintendo was not very successful after the SNES and Mario didn´t have the same popularity anymore and the fact that the "Rise" wasn´t affected by Mario 64 at all,you should have informed yourself instead of posting.And to those who still think Nintendo invented the Analog-Stick: First it was for PCs and the first Console with a Analog-Pad was the Saturn.

Ash2X
Close, but you're forgetting the Vectrex. That had a self-centering analog stick back in the early 80's, and is the first console implementation that I know of.
arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arinya
Member since 2006 • 1054 Posts

I think more importantly they gave some to time to Miyamoto and how the NES, Mario and Zelda brought console back from extinction...So no. I don't think it was really biased...just had alot of topics to include in one hour...

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Hahaha, it is funny because Nintendo is this gen's highest selling console.
VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
I honestly won't bother watching a documentary on the history and state of the videogame industry unless it was produced by the industry itself. Why? Well the main reason is because I honestly feel I am more knowledgeable on the subject than they are more often than not.
k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts
[QUOTE="greenghost123"]

Barely talking about Nintendo on a show called 'The Rise of the Videogame', is like barely talking about Germany's involvement in World War II.

you are so right.

Indeed. Only Nintendo's involvement is actually a good thing in this case.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
[QUOTE="Ash2X"]

Shifty_Pete

Close, but you're forgetting the Vectrex. That had a self-centering analog stick back in the early 80's, and is the first console implementation that I know of.

I forgot about that...I´ve only seen this thing once.Strange but somehow cool thing.That must be the first "Console"(well it wasn´t a console with a TV-Support,It came with a screen)with a Analog-Stick :idea:

SleepyByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SleepyByte
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

Did anybody else notice that the Rise of the Videogame show on Discovery Channel is biased against Nintendo? Episode 2 had about 5 minutes on the NES and less than 2 minutes on the Super NES and ZERO minutes on the N64, but they spent 10 to 15 minutes on the Sega Genisis and about 20 minute on the Playstation 1, and nobody from Nintendo has spoken on the show, but they had Peter Moore (ex-head of Microsoft and Sega), and at the end of Episode 2 they said that 3D (Playstation 1 & 2) is in and the era of the portly plumber (Mario) is out. It is a good show but just a little against Nintendo. Let me know what you think.snowman1771

I had begun to prepare this post when the whole Jeff Gertsmann thing hit the fan. I got caught up in that and have only just now completed it. Some of the things that refer to "last night" or "yesterday" may not have been reworded to reflect my delay in posting.

After reading your post I have taken the time to view the entire show and the first one after editing out the commercials. I wanted to have a look for myself to see if maybe I just did not notice this bias. Well, I didn't notice it because its just not there. Your perceived bias against Nintendo is completely wrong. The second show that aired on Discover, Level 2, ran 43.5 min. excluding commercials and well over 15 min of that 43 min was devoted to Nintendo exclusively.

No specific game system was mentioned until 5:30min. and the first system mentioned was in fact Nintendo. Atari is mentioned briefly. After talking about the importance of story the next part of the show was almost entirely about Nintendo, Miyamoto and how Mario revived, and changed the industry in the 80's. "The video game had it's first superstar, a portly plumber named Mario" . That quote can be heard right after the first commercial at aprox. 9:40 of the show. It's not until right before the second commercial @ about 18:00 that the show shifts to discussing the PC and text based adventure games. Eventually they come back to Nintendo and the original Zelda.

To discuss every system in depth individually during series running 215 min. total (without commercials) would be impossible. If the Super Nintendo was mentioned I did not catch it, the N64 system isnot mentioned, neither is the Commodore. I guess that makes them C64 haters too. Not one word about the neo geo either. Discussion of the Sega does not start until about 23:00 keeping in mind that the times I'm listing are without commercials and it was actually about 35 min into the show with them. 5 minuets later, talk of the Sega ends and, after talking about Leisure Suit Larry they move on to talk about the Nintendo / Sony's CD collaboration and breakup leading to Sony's creation of the Playstation 1. From there the show tries to get back to where it started, the importance of story. It does that by discussing GTA and for that reason it mentioned both the PS1 and PS2 at that time because GTA3 was a PS2 title. "The GTA series, by Rockstar games, started a trend of movie worthy characters, real Hollywood stars, and legitimate story lines," It moves right on to current gen systems, "high fidelity" graphics and motion capture.

IMO the show jumps around a bit too much. Also, when a documentary like this says things like "In the early 1980's the personal computer was introduced to the market" instead of stating fact (with something like, IBM released the first Home Computer the IBM 5150 Personal Computer or PC to the market on August 21, 1981) it only serves to undermine the shows credibility. The use of vague dates and general timelines draws the research done for the show into question .

While it is true that no one from Nintendo was interviewed it is important to note that no currently employed representative of Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft was interviewed. Only Journalists and previously employed industry professionals were interviewed. Peter Moore, head of EA Sports, seems to be the only exception. I think the problem is that you noticed that a former Microsoft employee you have heard of was interviewed rather then the fact that some former Nintendo employee you have never heard of was not. Quick! Who was executive vice president of marketing for Nintendo America before Reggie Fils-Aime? You probably don't know because when he left Nintendo it was not to jump ship and move to EA like Peter Moore did. Nintendo's Peter Main just retired and that's not headline news. The exclusion of MS, Nintendo and Sony reps may have been intentional to maintain an appearance of impartiality, or, it could it could be an indicator of some hidden agenda on the part of the makers. I find that second conclusion highly unlikely but still, one would think that the big 3 would have been falling all over themselves to participate in a five part series that would apparently promote their businesses. Most likely the lawyers could not agree on who would get to talk first, last and for how long so they said to hell with it, we wont talk to any of them.

The show had a great deal of footage of Nintendo's early days including some clips from old interviews with Myamoto, and television adds from both Japan and the US. Industry journalists like Peer Schneider- VP of IGN, Geoff Keighley of Game Head TV and consulting producer for this series and others were all featured as well as industry professionals like Roberta and KenWilliams- co- founders of Sierra online, Trip Hawkins co-founder of EA and others were all included in addition to Peter Moore. The writers of the show obviously felt the original Nintendo system (Famicom, NES) was more significant to their topic of the rise of the video game then the SNES or N64 systems that followed.

at the end of Episode 2 they said that 3D (Playstation 1 & 2) is in and the era of the portly plumber (Mario) is out. It is a good show but just a little against Nintendo. Let me know what you think.snowman1771

You kind of mixed two quotes up and, well, I'm trying to rationalize what you said but the show never said that. I understand you had already formed an opinion and I'm sure you were quoting it from memory while I'm actually looking at the show so its not really fair. It sounds like you have combined a positive quote about Nintendo early in the show, "The video game had it's first superstar, a portly plumber named Mario" with this one at the end, "At the dawn of 21st century the days of little man with the big mustache were over , new consoles like Sony Playstation had revolutionized the industry." Somehow out of that you got "they said that 3D (Playstation 1 & 2) is in and the era of the portly plumber (Mario) is out" and made it sound like a slam to Nintendo. The current popularity of the Wii and the revitalization of that genre with games like Super Mario Galaxy and Paper Mario was not part of that equation. What they were saying is that back then, when Playstation 1 came out, the Mario era was over. I would argue that statement is correct. In 1995 when the Playstation came out the Mario era would soon be over. Ten years later Mario is back, bigger and better and the new era for him started in 2006.

From early in the show speaking about the early 80's:

"There was a sense in the US that home video games were dead, that the fad of the video game console was over, the companies all believed that the future of the industry was in was in home computers" - " Nintendo believed the home console could be resurrected."

If anything, that quote gives credit to Nintendo for keeping console gaming alive after Atari gave up.

I don't think the show is biased against Nintendo. I don't agree with everything in the show but to say it is bias against Nintendo is just not true. Even if you only count those 13 minutes, 13 minutes out of a 43 minute show is almost a third of the show. At the very least Nintendo was given equal time.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Sigh

Nintendo fans.

They won't be satisfied until we build chapels and sing the words of Miyamoto, are they?

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Sigh

Nintendo fans.

They won't be satisfied until we build chapels and sing the words of Miyamoto, are they?

TriangleHard

I was satisfied with TP, SMG, SPM, Warioware, Wii Sports, and tons of DS games.