Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar first video footage

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by UpInFlames (13301 posts) -

Richard "Lord British" Garriott basically invented RPG's and MMORPG's (creator of Ultima and Ultima Online). Shroud of the Avatar is his successfully Kickstarted single-player RPG.

Keep in mind that this was made in only 90 days. The graphics are rough, the combat isn't even designed right now. However, what's really interesting is the open-ended nature of the crafting and especially the conversation and quest systems. Seems promising.

I can't embed it for some reason, so check it out here.

#2 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2793 posts) -

Bah at first I thought this could be epic but then I read it's a single player game and that's a bit unfortunate. Those kind of quests and NPC chatting are two features that I would love to see in more mmorpgs other than Tibia. It's just two really awesome functionalities that I've been saying for years that mmorpgs should have. Well, at least a single player has them now as well but I'd prefer to see that kind of stuff in mmorpgs.

#3 Posted by UpInFlames (13301 posts) -

Bah at first I thought this could be epic but then I read it's a single player game and that's a bit unfortunate. Those kind of quests and NPC chatting are two features that I would love to see in more mmorpgs other than Tibia. It's just two really awesome functionalities that I've been saying for years that mmorpgs should have. Well, at least a single player has them now as well but I'd prefer to see that kind of stuff in mmorpgs.

xWoW_Rougex

There are multiplayer modes as well, including an online mode similar to that of traditional MMORPG's. It's still so early in development, so there's not much info about that, though.

#4 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -
Oh man that looks Ultima like, I was actually skeptical at first. But this could actually be promising, really want this style of RPG again :D
#5 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
A big Ultima vibe from the game so far, which can be a very good thing. Really like how he seems to want to make this a deep experience, look forward to it.
#6 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Does this game bring back the X-wings?
#7 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
the dialogue system looks really good if they can get it to function smoothly. on the other hand, i don't want to read some of the conversations people will have about "the throne of bone which you can take to your home." :P
#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (11913 posts) -

After watching that, I have to question the wisdom of showing any game in development in such a primitive state.  It can do far more harm than good as first impressions are very important.  The battle system looks like it was made in a day.  I understand that this is extremely early and that they're excited and wish to share what they're up to with the fans and backers, but I'd say they should wait until everything is up and running and in their final stages with relevant mechanics (for example combat) established and functional, where all the game really needs is some polishing up and tweaks.

#9 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -

After watching that, I have to question the wisdom of showing any game in development in such a primitive state.  It can do far more harm than good as first impressions are very important.  The battle system looks like it was made in a day.  I understand that this is extremely early and that they're excited and wish to share what they're up to with the fans and backers, but I'd say they should wait until everything is up and running and in their final stages with relevant mechanics (for example combat) established and functional, where all the game really needs is some polishing up and tweaks.

MirkoS77
I was impressed, so the footage worked for me. Before I had no interest in this game, but now I actually am very interested.
#10 Posted by UpInFlames (13301 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

chaplainDMK

I was impressed, so the footage worked for me. Before I had no interest in this game, but now I actually am very interested.

Same here. Also, Double Fine's Brad Muir has spoken about the benefits of showing the game early to fans. Developers get valuable feedback and they can change major things because it's not too far off into development. With Minecraft's model, Steam's Early Access and the entire nature of Kickstarter, this seems to be the future for a lot of small developers and I think that's pretty cool.

#11 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

UpInFlames

Same here. Also, Double Fine's Brad Muir has spoken about the benefits of showing the game early to fans. Developers get valuable feedback and they can change major things because it's not too far off into development. With Minecraft's model, Steam's Early Access and the entire nature of Kickstarter, this seems to be the future for a lot of small developers and I think that's pretty cool.

The only people who would really be turned off by early build footage are ultra casuals that don't even read the context. Since this game is rather niche I think this was a very good PR move. Also shows that the team is proud and satisfied with their work, which is always a very good thing.
#12 Posted by MirkoS77 (11913 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"] I was impressed, so the footage worked for me. Before I had no interest in this game, but now I actually am very interested. chaplainDMK

The only people who would really be turned off by early build footage are ultra casuals that don't even read the context. Since this game is rather niche I think this was a very good PR move. Also shows that the team is proud and satisfied with their work, which is always a very good thing.

Well I'm glad I can be so easily categorized for you, pal.  No, my opinion that this is poor PR does not befit me into some juvenile spectrum of yours that perhaps help you feel to be one of the elite (these are VIDEO GAMES we're talking about here, I can only wonder....), and I stand by what I said.  Showing any game so early in development can hurt it.  Luckily this developer has pedigree, if he didn't I doubt many would be so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, context or no.

#13 Posted by chaplainDMK (7004 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

MirkoS77

Well I'm glad I can be so easily categorized for you, pal.  No, my opinion that this is poor PR does not befit me into some juvenile spectrum of yours that perhaps help you feel to be one of the elite (these are VIDEO GAMES we're talking about here, I can only wonder....), and I stand by what I said.  Showing any game so early in development can hurt it.  Luckily this developer has pedigree, if he didn't I doubt many would be so willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, context or no.

Lol what's with the butthurt. I just said that anyone that reads that its still work in progress can easily gauge the relative quality of the product. You can already see that the base of the game is practically finished, you can see the general feel they are going for, some of the mechanics etc. etc.. And again, if the reaction is negative they can easily adjust features this early in the working progress. I really don't see how this can be negative rep if you just read the context that this was done in 90 days. In 90 days they have the skeleton working very well, he mentions what features will be improved upon etc.

Blindly following a dev based on his "pedigree" is far more sketchy than basing opinions on early builds.