Reviews are not Opinions..!! Why do you all say it is?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

Where in most reviews do reviewers say "I like this game! it was funner than (insert other game here)!"

In legit reviews(if you're looking in the right places), reviewers usually pick and point out the strong concepts/aspects or points in a game.. like aesthetics, feel.. etc. They also point out its flaws such as bugs, repetetiveness, texture popins etc.

I'm sure if you guys think about it, you'll see what I'm trying to say.

And most of the time, reviewers are right.

An example is Brink.

I saw the horrid reviews.. like a 6/10 for that game.

But I already had it so I played it. I enjoyed it.. for about 2 days. Then realized the reviews did point out many flaws, and without even thinking about it, I noticed the game lacked a lot. So I thought about the reviews after I shut it off.. and what do you know? Most of the reviews were indeed spot-on.

If I am wrong, please elaborate.

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Yes, but the concepts they take from the game they have an opinion on. For example, someone uses a morality system (InFAMOUS 2). The reviewer would then point out whether or not they liked the morality system, which would be an opinion.
NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
Technically a review is an opinion piece. A review may say that a game is not fun, or looks bad. There will always be players who disagree. I myself have disagreed with many reviews. I've been playing DC Universe Online since it released, a game that Gamespot said didn't have enough to keep it interesting after the first month. I found their opinion of the game to be incorrect. You cannot be definitive in reviewing a game because you cannot write a review that is guaranteed to take into account the tastes of every gamer. As such, they are opinion pieces.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
So...in your opinion...expressing your opinion well makes it become an objective point?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

In legit reviews(if you're looking in the right places), reviewers usually pick and point out the strong concepts/aspects or points in a game.. like aesthetics, feel.. etc. They also point out its flaws such as bugs, repetetiveness, texture popins etc.

Kocelot

"Strong" is an opinion. "Flaw" is an opinion. "Repetitiveness" is an opinion.

A review with no opinions would not be a very interesting or useful review.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Of course it's an opinion. The score is a numerical way of stating an ultimate opinion on a game and all the judgments the reviewer makes are opinion. Whether one thinks the visuals, pacing, controls, etc. are good or bad amounts to an opinion. They can use facts (like if a game has texture pop-in or not) to support their opinion, but they are still making a judgment and judgments are inherently subjective and thus opinion.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

Teufelhuhn

Yup. That would just be a facts sheet, with a list of features in the game. All reviews are based on the opinion of the reviewer.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

Reviews are Opinion. Lets say I reviewed... Duke Nukem. I didn't like it at all, so I give the reasons I didn't like it and the things I liked about it. Slap on a score and done.Plain out Opinion, but its the communitys choice to go by it.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

I see. that makes more sense now.

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

Pointing out flaws-facts.

Complaining/praising game features, story, etc.-opinion.

Reviews often have more of the latter, and thus are more opinion than fact.

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts
Yes, but the concepts they take from the game they have an opinion on. For example, someone uses a morality system (InFAMOUS 2). The reviewer would then point out whether or not they liked the morality system, which would be an opinion.BadNewsBen
Yes, that might be an opinion, saying whether they liked the morality system. However, what reviewer worth their merit simply says whether they like or dislike something? They break it down to the nitty gritty and say why it's not good. That's where objectivity and relative patterns come into the review arena.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Teufelhuhn

If a flaw is a bug, then it is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Bugs can vary only by degree, that is, how much it affects gameplay. For example, take the PS3 GotY disc for Oblivion. It has a quest-breaker bug where if you contract vampirism you are not allowed to complete the cure quest. That cannot be opinion.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Because they are, and that's a fact:P

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14889 Posts
Opinions can be stupid if they are based on incorrect facts or clear bias....look at the five morons who reviewed the Witcher 2 and gave it 70 or below. Did not know how to play the game correctly. Why should I respect idiotic opinions? I should call them out and reveal how stupid they are.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

topsemag55

Bugs can vary only by degree, that is, how much it affects gameplay. For example, take the PS3 GotY disc for Oblivion. It has a quest-breaker bug where if you contract vampirism you are not allowed to complete the cure quest. That cannot be opinion.

The only fact is that there is a bug present. Whether one chooses to interpret that as a flaw (which most people do), that is subjective process.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

A review should be a mix of subjectiveness and objectiveness. A review that is pure opinion or pure objectivenesss is not a good review, IMO.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well all reviewers are different, so they are bound to bring their own individuality into the review (even moreso in video games which emphasize player interaction). however, a good reviewer accurately gets at the core experience. even the most interactive game will have some sort of uniform scenario that all players encounter.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

becouse people are idiots and think

"hey this one guy is saying stuff ona website anyone could make in a afternoon. IT MUST BE FACT"

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Good grief, have you ever played a game that got a great review that you really didn't care for? Or one that got average reviews that you really liked? Obviously reviews are opinions and not facts. The main criteria for rating a game is how fun it is, and how can that possibly be objectively rated?

Whatever. Go and buy games based on review scores and see how happy you are. I wasn't very happy at all when I used to do that.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

topsemag55

How much it affects gameplay is surely an opinion as long as it isn't game breaking. Since when do reviewers call bugs flaws? It makes no sense, please find me one where it is used in that context.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Reviewers should try to be as objective as possible, but there is no way to write a review without opinion, as reviews are totally based on "good" and "bad" and both of those terms are based on opinion.

Jack_240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#22 Jack_240
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

I think Professional Reviews like gamespot, ign and gametrailers are opinons, but sometimes there are facts about a game. Let's say we get the review of Final Fantasy XIII where there is a fact that its graphics are beautiful and I didn't find even one critic who said the graphics suck. This is a fact. But when the game was reviewed as whole from stroy, gameplay, to characters .. etc. The reviewers' opinions differed and some liked it some hated as much as the fans.

Hell, I even saw a site giving MGS4 a 7/10. Where both gamespot and IGN gave it a perfect score, 10/10

overall, the reviews give me good taste of what I would buy, I will buy Infamous 2.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Reviews can only be so objective. They can't be completely objective. It's impossible.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
All reviews are opinions. I have long since stopped reading reviews form ANY professional source. I consider them all to be elitist, biased, corrupt, just plain stupid, or some combination thereof.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreySeal9

I think Professional Reviews like gamespot, ign and gametrailers are opinons, but sometimes there are facts about a game. Let's say we get the review of Final Fantasy XIII where there is a fact that its graphics are beautiful and I didn't find even one critic who said the graphics suck. This is a fact. But when the game was reviewed as whole from stroy, gameplay, to characters .. etc. The reviewers' opinions differed and some liked it some hated as much as the fans.

Hell, I even saw a site giving MGS4 a 7/10. Where both gamespot and IGN gave it a perfect score, 10/10

overall, the reviews give me good taste of what I would buy, I will buy Infamous 2.

Jack_240

Just beause no critic says the graphics are not beautiful doesn't make it a fact that the graphics are beautiful.

Whether something is beautiful or not is still an opinion as facts are facts regardless of what anybody thinks.

This is a fact: Final Fantasy 13 got an 8.5 on GameSpot.

This is an opinion: Final Fantasy 13's graphics are beautiful.

One requires no judgment, it just is. The second is a value judgment.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

All reviews contain opinions... it would be impossible for a review to not have opinions. The score given to a game is already an opinion, on its own. My advice would be for people to use reviews as a guideline, but don't look into it so much. Make your own judgement call. Believing a review so much could cause you to miss a good-great game.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

Reviews are opinions. They're simply expert opinions, which weigh more than most regular gamers. If they weren't opinons, games wouldn't get different scores from different reviewers. Every reviewer would give each game the same exact score as the next person.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#28 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Yes, reviews are oppinions

Where in most reviews do reviewers say "I like this game! it was funner than (insert other game here)!"

Kocelot

You don't need to have a phrase like that for it to be an opinion

Kocelot

Exactly what constitutes a strong aspect of a game is absolutely an opinion. For example, many critics spoke highly about the aspects of eating and having to go to the gym. I despised that being in the game.

And no, I do not feel that reviews often get it right. I rarely agree with reviewers.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#29 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

GreySeal9

The only fact is that there is a bug present. Whether one chooses to interpret that as a flaw (which most people do), that is subjective process.

Just to add to that, many people like to see some bugs in games. Speed runners especially, because they often allow for sequence breaking, and allow them to play the game very differently

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Um... Reviews ARE opinions.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Shmups and other arcade-style games are generally always poorly-received-- especially when they're an on-disc retail release-- because the reviewer is too casual or just doesn't dig old-school gameplay. They then either complain about it being too hard, or if it has infinite credits, they do it ENTIRELY WRONG and credit-feed the game, claim it's too easy, and too short. Never mind the fact that they'd never reach the end on a single credit and/or give a damn about scoring mechanics. It's like they go out of the way to find someone who doesn't appreciate a certain game's genre to review it. IMO, Greg Kasavin was the last truly great reviewer on GameSpot.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Just because the reviewer does not inject themselves personally into the review doens't mean that the review is NOT an opinion. It is an opinion and you can tell that it is when words such as strong or boring are used in the writing.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#33 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Well, maybe not opinions in the sense of 'I like this game because I said so', but they are subjective judgments. Sure, you can analyse a game based on objective realities, but at the end of the day, the final judgment still depends heavily on a reviewer's point of view; how much value he attaches to certain aspects, what he personally thinks is important in a game, etc.

So you're correct that a video game review should not be a pure opinion, but it is still very subjective and far from being factual.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Reviews are based upon the writters taste, sure there are things they are purely technical about but at the end of it all then it is essentially what they liked about it and they give it a score they believe it has earned. You can consult it if you want to read somewhat what to expect, but it's silly to think that one person has the same taste as you and everybody else who reads it. Just because the reviewer doesn't like it, doesn't mean you won't like it either.
JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#35 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Shmups and other arcade-style games are generally always poorly-received-- especially when they're an on-disc retail release-- because the reviewer is too casual or just doesn't dig old-school gameplay. They then either complain about it being too hard, or if it has infinite credits, they do it ENTIRELY WRONG and credit-feed the game, claim it's too easy, and too short. Never mind the fact that they'd never reach the end on a single credit and/or give a damn about scoring mechanics. It's like they go out of the way to find someone who doesn't appreciate a certain game's genre to review it. IMO, Greg Kasavin was the last truly great reviewer on GameSpot.

pills4louis
That's a generalization, but if I was asked to pay $60 for a standard top-down shooter, I'd feel cheated. Most consumers would. And if you love the opportunity to pay that much to hone your skills on 5-10 levels, you're not the target audience for the review. Remember that reviews are to help inform people. They're not for people who already know if they really want a game or not; they're for people looking for help making a decision.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

JonathanL

That's a generalization, but if I was asked to pay $60 for a standard top-down shooter, I'd feel cheated. Most consumers would. And if you love the opportunity to pay that much to hone your skills on 5-10 levels, you're not the target audience for the review. Remember that reviews are to help inform people. They're not for people who already know if they really want a game or not; they're for people looking for help making a decision.

And if the reviews are by someone who isn't even partial to the genre, then they're written by the wrong people. Again, Greg Kasavin. Last truly good reviewer for niche games on GameSpot. Gave excellent, well-deserved reviews for Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gradius V, Ikaruga, and both the Otogi games, to name a few. And if you'd feel cheated for paying an adequate price. Considering how much replay value the games generally have, importing a game for $70-80 (thus paying for 70 or 80 credits up front) for the ability to play for hundreds upon hundreds of times is a small price to pay, IMO. The only times I ever felt ripped off for shmups were when I imported Thunder Force 6 and Homura for $60 a pop when they each felt like $40 games. If anything, they could at least give a "second opinion" review, made by someone who actually enjoys utilizing the oftentimes deep scoring mechanics of a modern shmup and chasing those high scores. Reviewers who gave anything below an 8.0 for Raiden IV-- the longest and most refined Raiden ever-- are part of the carcinogen that's killing the credibility of reviewers from "big name" sites like this one and IGN. (At least GameSpot isn't a total joke, like IGN is.)

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts
Valid points but on some ocasions reviewers gave a game a low score because they didnt like something I didnt really mind. Which brings me to believe they are opinions, If they werent than that would mean we, the players, agree with them 100% and it would also imply that all reviews are in essence the same. They are opinions but are more valid because they are based on objective views of the game - at least they should be.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

Reviews are based on opinions. If a reviewer says that a certain game is bad, I may end up enjoying it regardless of the score.

Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts
[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

And most of the time, reviewers are right.

An example is Brink.

I saw the horrid reviews.. like a 6/10 for that game.

But I already had it so I played it. I enjoyed it.. for about 2 days. Then realized the reviews did point out many flaws, and without even thinking about it, I noticed the game lacked a lot. So I thought about the reviews after I shut it off.. and what do you know? Most of the reviews were indeed spot-on.

If I am wrong, please elaborate.

3 words; "Assassin's" Creed Brotherhood
JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#40 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

And if the reviews are by someone who isn't even partial to the genre, then they're written by the wrong people. Again, Greg Kasavin. Last truly good reviewer for niche games on GameSpot. Gave excellent, well-deserved reviews for Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gradius V, Ikaruga, and both the Otogi games, to name a few. And if you'd feel cheated for paying an adequate price. Considering how much replay value the games generally have, importing a game for $70-80 (thus paying for 70 or 80 credits up front) for the ability to play for hundreds upon hundreds of times is a small price to pay, IMO. The only times I ever felt ripped off for shmups were when I imported Thunder Force 6 and Homura for $60 a pop when they each felt like $40 games. If anything, they could at least give a "second opinion" review, made by someone who actually enjoys utilizing the oftentimes deep scoring mechanics of a modern shmup and chasing those high scores. Reviewers who gave anything below an 8.0 for Raiden IV-- the longest and most refined Raiden ever-- are part of the carcinogen that's killing the credibility of reviewers from "big name" sites like this one and IGN. (At least GameSpot isn't a total joke, like IGN is.)pills4louis

Kasavin was one of the great reviewers, absolutely. No question there. What's important here is udnerstanding both the reviewer and the game. You have to decide who speaks with a voice most similar to yours. As much as I respected Kasavin, he and I didn't always see eye to eye. He had more of a classic gamer's taste than I did, so I knew I had to accept that he was more willing to accept a difficult challenge and the simple joy of repetition and finesse than I did.

Still, reviews aren't there to validate your decision. They're to help people make decisions. The reviewer should appreciate the genre they're reviewing, but they should also be honest about who the game is and isn't for.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

A review without opinion would just be a list of facts. For example the game is based in a city would be a fact. The city felt empty would be an opinion relating to the fact.