Review Embargos don't help anyone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Gamepot- sound off on this. I don't understand review embargos at all. Whenever I see an embargo, I just think the game is going to flop. If a publisher does not want the reviews shown prior to release, I can only assume they are not proud of their product and want people to blindly buy it. If you love your product, and want it to sell millions... wouldn't you want tons of people to see good early reviews and hype it up?

As a consumer, if I see a review embargo, I won't buy the product. It just makes me think the producers of the game don't want people to know it's terrible.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, i can understand a review embargo meant to time positive hype. if a game gets a bunch of positive reviews that are released too early, the publisher runs the risk that people that are influenced by the reviews will work themselves up and then move on before the game launches. if a game gets a bunch of positive reviews just a few days before launch, people are at the peak of their hype right as they are able to purchase the title.

using embargoes to hide bad reviews has always seemed silly to me though. the people that follow game reviews are the same people that know to be wary if no reviews are up around launch. it's not fooling anybody.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#3 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

There's a very good reason for their existence. The Penny Arcade Report had a good piece explaining why.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i still think reviews should be up at least a week before launch. Not a day or a few hours before launch

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Shmiity said:

Gamepot- sound off on this. I don't understand review embargos at all. Whenever I see an embargo, I just think the game is going to flop. If a publisher does not want the reviews shown prior to release, I can only assume they are not proud of their product and want people to blindly buy it. If you love your product, and want it to sell millions... wouldn't you want tons of people to see good early reviews and hype it up?

As a consumer, if I see a review embargo, I won't buy the product. It just makes me think the producers of the game don't want people to know it's terrible.

I honestly dont get why you wont buy it?

But ok if you let reviews decide for you then i get why embargo´s are a pain. For me and people who decide themselves what to buy and not to buy embargo´s are as important as yesterdays paper.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

If sites like this break the deal they have made regarding the embargo they will be blacklisted and they won't get any review copies, previews or interviews again

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

They seem dumb to me. The publicity people are hyping the game years before release and they're worried about reviews coming out too early. When I see a company making sure that no reviews are published before launch it just makes me think they've got zero confidence in their own product - so why should I have sixty bucks worth of confidence in it?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I wonder if it would help if there was a system that allowed journalists to buy games pre-release at wholesale.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shmiity

Embargos just make me afraid that developers don't want people to see the scores.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shmiity

Just read that Penny Arcade article. Definitely justifies my fears. Embargos still suck.