Return To Castle Wolfenstien: PS2 any good.?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thelordofpies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thelordofpies
Member since 2011 • 869 Posts

want to know is the PS2 RTC Wolfenstien any good (I just got it for $6) so I only care about the SP (do not care about the Online since you know lol ps2 online is......)

I know it got bad reviews but is only because of lack of Online play or are the Controls Bad.?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember it being good and the controls were fine. However, I prefered the this game on the XBOX; controls were more intuative and the graphics were better.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have this game. It is rather enjoyable. I have had no issues regarding the controls, they are reponsive and smooth. The game harkings back to old style FPS which is a good thing. Part of the reason I like this game. So hopefully you will like it as well.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I'd personally recommend the PC version over it because it's the definitive version. But I didn't play the PS2 one so I can't really comment on it.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I remember liking it when it came out.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I don't remember ever playing this on PS2, but it is a decent game

thermalvision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thermalvision
Member since 2012 • 146 Posts

where ever u play it ...its a nice game .....enjoy

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Yep very good game! :)
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Definitely one of my favorite FPS on the PS2. The plot is good, the play is fun, and the save-anywhere ability (no checkpoints, you save where you want to save) made the game a joy to get through with just the right amount of difficulty. Highly recommended!

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
The review was spot on. From what I remember the game was dark and it was too easy to get lost because every hallway looked exactly the same. There are so many other FPS on the PS2, that you shouldn't waste your time with it.
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Definitely one of my favorite FPS on the PS2. The plot is good, the play is fun, and the save-anywhere ability (no checkpoints, you save where you want to save) made the game a joy to get through with just the right amount of difficulty. Highly recommended!

MonkeySpot
Funny Monkey because each time I play the game it has in BIG letters that say "Checkpoint Reached" then when I die I'm at the Checkpoint :P just thought I'd mention this to you :D
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

rwallacefan

Funny Monkey because each time I play the game it has in BIG letters that say "Checkpoint Reached" then when I die I'm at the Checkpoint :P just thought I'd mention this to you :D

Hmmmm... It's been a little while since I went through it, but I coulda swore that it had save-anywhere. I'm old, so I could be wrong.

:P

I remember it not being a major hassle of a game because of the saving... I know it's available in "Half-Life" for the PS2, perhaps I'm getting the two confused. Anyway, I still think it's one of the better games out there for the PS2 when it comes to FPS. It had just the right amount of WWII action (a favorite of mine) along with nasty supernatural stuff... And I don't recall being frustrated by it, ever, which is a stand-out for FPS of that generation.

Love the game. Buy it, play it, and see what I mean.

BTW - Hiya Rusty!!!! How 'bout that Lap-9 crash at Dover? Montoya out of the race... I smiled a lot...

:D

... I wish they wouldn't call JJ "The Dominator", though... It's far too close a monicker to the great Dale Sr. But hey, Tony got his rig back out on the track, it was a good race. You gotta come over some Sunday for a cookout, m'man! We'll crank it up on my PA speakers an' piss the neighborhood off...

;)

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

Use to love this game, played for years and sometimes go back and check it out for kicks.

Played on the PC though.. thinking of playing it on a home console churns my stomach. On PC there will still most likely be a small but active online as well as many features like customizing your own settings and whatnot that will not be on the ps2 version. You can bind and script every key on your keyboard and you will eventually end up using most so having only 8 or so buttons seems bizarre.

There is also a free download on PC for "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" Which is the next entry into the wolfenstein series. It is strictly online play but the online play far surpasses that of RTCW the only catch being that there are lots of servers but only a handful of ones that are still good. From what I heard the online was released for free since they screwed up on - and neglected to release - the single player portion. Too bad as it was a really good game but not enough people took notice as it flew under the radar this way.

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

The review was spot on. From what I remember the game was dark and it was too easy to get lost because every hallway looked exactly the same. There are so many other FPS on the PS2, that you shouldn't waste your time with it. wackoss

Then they should have played it on a smaller TV. That said, it got hosed because the XBox version is quite superior to it; not only did it have online (and decent online, at that), it had more content, better visuals, better audio, etc. ad nauseum. In short, they didn't review it fairly.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Yeah, it's a great game! I have never played the PC version either, I have the original Xbox version (it's backwards compatible with the 360), but the online for original Xbox games is no longer supported so it is pretty much exactly the same as the PS2 one now, besides maybe the graphics. But yeah, definately worth it. It's a great game :D.
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Its very good on every system. :)

Pc version has less missions. And XBOX version has co-op.

PS2 version has good controls and gameplay is awesome. Too bad I sold it couple of years ago :(.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
Its the same game but with framerate issues and graphic problems
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonkeySpot

Spent the afternoon playing the game on my PS2, and I haven't seen one framerate stutter. I don't think there were ever any framerate issues.

Oh, and BY THE WAY - When you pause the game and choose "Save Game", where-ever, and how-ever you are at that very moment is where you will reload from, so saving IS INDEED Anywhere in the Game saves.

:D

So if you're about to go around a corner and you don't wanna lose progress, SAVE before you do! I absolutely KNEW you could save-anwhere on the PS2 version, it's one of the exploits which allows you to play it on harder difficulty with no real penalty for dying.