Resident Evil story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#1 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I am getting ready to play Resident Evil 4 (and possibly 5). I have never played and RE game. Can someone fill me in on the story? I know the basics about who Umbrella is, but I am still a little hazy on large chunks. Who is Albert Wesker? How did the T-Virus (or the G-Virus, whichever it is) get out of Raccoon City? Why is it in Africa in RE5?

If any of these are answered in the game, please leave those to let me find out on my own. I just need a little bit of a run-down.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

If any of these are answered in the game, please leave those to let me find out on my own. I just need a little bit of a run-down.

realguitarhero5

That's a bit of a conundrum there. Resident Evil games are all about the plot twists and reveals. It's kind of hard to give the story of the game without giving away vital parts.

The opening is that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incident (Resident Evil 2) and went on to become a federal agent due to his unique experience in the situation. He is tasked with rescuing (I believe it's the President's daughter, it's been a while) from a remote European village. When you get there, things are not as they seem. And the townspeople are obsessively secretive and unnaturally aggressive. You are then attacked by the townspeople and the game begins. It then takes you on a rollarcoaster ride of plotwists and action-packed close-calls for hours until it's all over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

Emerald_Warrior

That's a bit of a conundrum there. Resident Evil games are all about the plot twists and reveals. It's kind of hard to give the story of the game without giving away vital parts.

The opening is that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incident (Resident Evil 2) and went on to become a federal agent due to his unique experience in the situation. He is tasked with rescuing (I believe it's the President's daughter, it's been a while) from a remote European village. When you get there, things are not as they seem. And the townspeople are obsessively secretive and unnaturally aggressive. You are then attacked by the townspeople and the game begins. It then takes you on a rollarcoaster ride of plotwists and action-packed close-calls for hours until it's all over.

That's all I need to know for context?
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Just play them and you'll learn everything you need to now. If you want to delve deeper in the story the Resident Evil Archive books are great supplimental readings giving more details on the story, characters and just about everything else. Here is the order I'd recommend you play the games:

1. Resident Evil (play the Gamecube remake if you can, it is amazing!)

2. Resident Evil 0

3. Resident Evil 2

4. Resident Evil Nemesis

5. Resdient Evil Code Veronica

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Resident Evil 5

8. Resident Evil 6 (I hear this game sucks, but it is part of the main story so you should play it I guess)

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Emerald_Warrior

Just play them and you'll learn everything you need to now. If you want to delve deeper in the story the Resident Evil Archive books are great supplimental readings giving more details on the story, characters and just about everything else. Here is the order I'd recommend you play the games:

2. Resident Evil 0

3. Resident Evil 2

4. Resident Evil Nemesis

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Resident Evil 5

8. Resident Evil 6 (I hear this game sucks, but it is part of the main story so you should play it I guess)

Shenmue_Jehuty

He really doesn't need to know any of that to playe RE 4 & 5. You need to know like nothing from the original games to start with RE4, as RE4 starts an entirely new story-direction for the series. Like the only thing of import from the original games is that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incedent.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

2. Resident Evil 0

3. Resident Evil 2

4. Resident Evil Nemesis

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Resident Evil 5

Emerald_Warrior

He really doesn't need to know any of that to playe RE 4 & 5. You need to know like nothing from the original games to start with RE4, as RE4 starts an entirely new story-direction for the series. Like the only thing of import from the original games is that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incedent.

You are right, you don't need to play the pre-RE4 games, but TC will probably enjoy and understand that game and RE5 more if the TC does. I know I did because I had done this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

You are right, you don't need to play the pre-RE4 games, but TC will probably enjoy and understand that game and RE5 more if the TC does. I know I did because I had done this.

Shenmue_Jehuty

I played Code Veronica. Or maybe RE2. I can't remember. I didn't really enjoy the gameplay. The fixed camera angles didn't really age well, in my opinion. I kinda dug RE4 and the RE5 demo but never got around to them, and today seems to be the day.

Too bad the PC versions of RE4 and RE5 are awful, so I just figured I would pick up RE4 for cheap on PS2 and RE5 Gold Ed. for my 360.

I digress. Bottom line is, I don't have the time or desire to play the pre-RE4 games that I am not too interested in.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

realguitarhero5

I played Code Veronica. Or maybe RE2. I can't remember. I didn't really enjoy the gameplay. The fixed camera angles didn't really age well, in my opinion. I kinda dug RE4 and the RE5 demo but never got around to them, and today seems to be the day.

Too bad the PC versions of RE4 and RE5 are awful, so I just figured I would pick up RE4 for cheap on PS2 and RE5 Gold Ed. for my 360.

I digress. Bottom line is, I don't have the time or desire to play the pre-RE4 games that I am not too interested in.

fair enough. As Emerald said, you don't really have to play the pre-RE4 games to understand what is going on in RE4. The series sort of went into a new story arch with that game.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Bottomline, if you're a story person like myself start from RE1. Jehuty's list is where it's at.

RE5's plot is irrelevant in terms of twists. It's all about the final boss, really. I liked RE6's narrative alot more. Even though it has a Michael Bay-like direction to it.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emerald_Warrior

Bottomline, if you're a story person like myself start from RE1. Jehuty's list is where it's at.

RE5's plot is irrelevant in terms of twists. It's all about the final boss, really. I liked RE6's narrative alot more. Even though it has a Michael Bay-like direction to it.

Aero5555

I'm not saying that the other games aren't worth playing. I love the RE series, and think the first half of the series is actually better than the latter half.

But he's not asking what games' stories are worth playing through, he's asking what's essential to know before playing RE4. There is absolutely nothing essential in those games to know to play RE4. Except (like I said) that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incedent and as a result is now a special agent, which the game explains that much to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

Emerald_Warrior

I'm not saying that the other games aren't worth playing. I love the RE series, and think the first half of the series is actually better than the latter half.

But he's not asking what games' stories are worth playing through, he's asking what's essential to know before playing RE4. There is absolutely nothing essential in those games to know to play RE4. Except (like I said) that Leon Kennedy survived the Raccoon City incedent and as a result is now a special agent, which the game explains that much to you.

Does the game explain why the virus is even outside of Raccoon City?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

realguitarhero5

Does the game explain why the virus is even outside of Raccoon City?

Can't really explain that without giving up part of the game to you (which you asked not to). Play it and you'll find out. And it's not quite the same as that virus.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aero5555

Emerald_Warrior

Don't get me wrong. I'm one of those guys who believe RE4 was the beginning of the end. I absolutely loathed RE5 and liked 6 better.

I'd still insist he go back and play the pre-RE4 games. They're not old enough to be considered archaic and frustratingly unplayable yet (by the general public). I miss the feel of mystery and suspense in the series. It died with Veronica. Revelations tried to bring it back and that's why I enjoyed it. I also wish they'd release the RE2 beta game lol.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aero5555

Does the game explain why the virus is even outside of Raccoon City?realguitarhero5

Not sure which game you're reffering to. But RE4 is more a side story than an actual canon entry story-wise, IMO.

RE2 explains how the virus progressed, followed by RE3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Thanks for the answers, guys! I thought I would need a ton of explanation, but apparently I already know all that I need to know.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Just play RE4 and RE5 and don't give a damn about the story, because the RE games never really had a good story imo. The older ones are alright I guess, but you probably won't like the tank controls and general chunkiness.

Hicser03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Hicser03
Member since 2003 • 109 Posts

Just play RE4 and RE5 and don't give a damn about the story, because the RE games never really had a good story imo. The older ones are alright I guess, but you probably won't like the tank controls and general chunkiness.

Lost-to-Apathy

Yeah i tried to play RE 2 the other day and it really hasnt aged well, although i love the old games they really arent necessary to understand RE4 and onwards just find a story run down on youtube or somthing if you that interested.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#18 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the Resident Evil storyline, it's convoluted. Just shoot anything that moves, that is what RE has devolved to.

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the Resident Evil storyline, it's convoluted. Just shoot anything that moves, that is what RE has devolved to.

Blueresident87

Basically this.

Old games: herp derp evil corporation is evil, and zombies!

New games: herp derp du derp, evil corporation being a proxy for another evil corporation that its... dum dum dum, evil!, and zombies... kinda.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#20 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I gotta agree... To be honest, I think RE would be better w/o the plot. It only detracts from the atmosphere if you ask me. "Oh hey, as means of explaining why you are in this prediciment, here's a ridiculous and complicated backstory you don't need to know about and doesn't have any impact on your ability to survive in your present situation."

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

...noobs....

As a seasoned RE gamer, I would suggest playing all the older games first. That is, if you have a PS3, where you can download the older games. I don't think they're on Xbox Live. Really just RE 0, 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica. I mean, you don't HAVE to, but would just give you more of an appreciation for the RE universe. I honestly wouldn't really even say that RE0 is a MUST, only because the story was only written years after the release of RE1 for the PS1. Actually, it came out after RE3 and RE:CV, and just gives you a background on Rebecca Chambers, who is really a more minor charater in the RE universe overall anyway. If you HAVE to leave out another game I would say it could be RE3, as it only gives you the story of Jill and Nemesis, but that really is just there to help you appreciate the character of Jill. RE1 and 2 are where the REAL meat is at.

Still, you can enjoy RE4 as many people started their RE fandom on that game without ever having played the older games.

...i STILL turn my nose up at such people...

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

I gotta agree... To be honest, I think RE would be better w/o the plot. It only detracts from the atmosphere if you ask me. "Oh hey, as means of explaining why you are in this prediciment, here's a ridiculous and complicated backstory you don't need to know about and doesn't have any impact on your ability to survive in your present situation."

logicalfrank

Have you played a RE game?! Because it's VERY story-involved. To just survive is more along the lines of Left 4 Dead, not RE.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Marmotas

Basically this.

New games: herp derp du derp, evil corporation being a proxy for another evil corporation that its... dum dum dum, evil!, and zombies... kinda.

Oh yeah, that's all there is. There's not super-humans being made like Wesker. There's not conspiracy cover-ups that destroy entire cities. There aren't mercenary stories of cloak & dagger intrigue. No story about the Redfields trying to reunite. Or any story about Sherry Berkin's family being the progeniers of the virus. Or hey, that pesky storyline about S.T.A.R.s being set-up. That's all "herp-derp-du-derp".

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

From Resident Evil 0 to Code veronica is where the story really matters. RE4,5, Revelations, and 6 all have shallow stories in my opinion (new virus and must be stopped...yay?), and are just poor excuses to prolong the franchise.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Emerald_Warrior

Have you played a RE game?! Because it's VERY story-involved. To just survive is more along the lines of Left 4 Dead, not RE.

It is. And I am saying it would be better off w/o that story.

Oh yeah, that's all there is. There's not super-humans being made like Wesker. There's not conspiracy cover-ups that destroy entire cities. There aren't mercenary stories of cloak & dagger intrigue. No story about the Redfields trying to reunite. Or any story about Sherry Berkin's family being the progeniers of the virus. Or hey, that pesky storyline about S.T.A.R.s being set-up. That's all "herp-derp-du-derp".

Emerald_Warrior

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's absurdly over-complicated and it actively works against the mood the game seems like its trying to set. Part of the suspense is that you don't know just what's going on and so trying to explain every little detail through these over-the-top secret government antics just breaks the tension.

To quote Danny O'Dwyer:

"The story in Resident Evil is melodromatic bullocks. Each new game added more layers of bullocks on top of the previous bullocks and the whole thing gets more complicated and convoluted and ultimately a lot less compelling."

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Marmotas

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Emerald_Warrior

Basically this.

You perfectly explained my point in why RE story is nothing but herp derp, and du derp too.

RE storyline is not a work of art, in the beginning was this B-movie kinda plot that was laughable yet endearing for its awfulnes, and eventually with passing games it degraded into a massive conspiracy derp thanks to taking itself waaaaay too seriously and trying to explain and do too much.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

Basically this.

Marmotas

You perfectly explained my point in why RE story is nothing but herp derp, and du derp too.

RE storyline is not a work of art, in the beginning was this B-movie kinda plot that was laughable yet endearing for its awfulnes, and eventually with passing games it degraded into a massive conspiracy derp thanks to taking itself waaaaay too seriously and trying to explain and do too much.

I don't think you understand what herp-derp means. Because it means the exact opposite of overly-complicated.

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Marmotas

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

Emerald_Warrior

I don't think you understand what herp-derp means. Because it means the exact opposite of overly-complicated.

I think you fail at realizing that RE "story" is not herp derp because its overly complicated (its not), but because its overly stupid, its a random mishmash of sillyness that has grown out of control, and its like that because they keep throwing more stuff at it and making it even dumber in return.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

Marmotas

I think you fail at realizing that RE "story" is not herp derp because its overly complicated (its not), but because its overly stupid, its a random mishmash of sillyness that has grown out of control, and its like that because they keep throwing more stuff at it and making it even dumber in return.

Okay, in your opinion. I don't agree and neither do millions of other RE fans. I seem to be able to follow the storylines just fine.

Nonetheless, "herp-derp" is pretty much calling something so simplistic it's retarded. Which is why the entire discussion started, because RE storylines are anything but simple.

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Marmotas

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

Emerald_Warrior

Okay, in your opinion. I don't agree and neither do millions of other RE fans. I seem to be able to follow the storylines just fine.

Nonetheless, "herp-derp" is pretty much calling something so simplistic it's retarded. Which is why the entire discussion started, because RE storylines are anything but simple.

Implying that anyone that doesnt like it its because they cant follow them?, i can follow them, and thats why i believe they are pretty stupid.

RE storylines are very simple, and incredibly stupid. That there are many storylines doesnt mean that its deeper and certainly not more intelligent, it just means there is more laughable elements to deal with. And herp derp also reffers to many more elements, and when i think of RE, i think of one of them: "nonsensical garbage"... at least in story, so yeah.

Anyways, got all the topic derrailed. -_- PM to continue, or we can just agree to disagree.

---edited---

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

I swear, I don't know what the hell is going on around the Legacy Platforms boards lately. Everyone talking about perfectly good games sucking. Tetris, Grandia, Final Fantasy VII, and now Resident Evil.

The first half of the Resident Evil series are freaking masterpieces of their time that single-handedly popularized the survival-horror genre.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts

I swear, I don't know what the hell is going on around the Legacy Platforms boards lately. Everyone talking about perfectly good games sucking. Tetris, Grandia, Final Fantasy VII, and now Resident Evil.

The first half of the Resident Evil series are freaking masterpieces of their time that single-handedly popularized the survival-horror genre.

Emerald_Warrior
Subjective opinions are wrong now? :lol: I thought system wars was a separate board?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emerald_Warrior

I thought system wars was a separate board?DerveCreaves

This coming from a guy that joined yesterday? Sounds like a seasoned GameSpot member to me. Hmm...

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"] I thought system wars was a separate board?Emerald_Warrior

This coming from a guy that joined yesterday? Sounds like a seasoned GameSpot member to me. Hmm...

Lol i've been trying to figure out who he is for the past hour.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"] I thought system wars was a separate board?Emerald_Warrior

System Wars if a forum in the forum section where all you have to do is press a button to enter.
DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

System Wars if a forum in the forum section where all you have to do is press a button to enter.

"This isn't System Wars." or anything similar to that nature is a go-to response for many GameSpot members that think someone is getting to fanboy-ish. And I find it a little hard to believe that a member that's been here for all of 1 day is gonna be familiar with the vibe of the System Wars forum, regardless.

There's no logic here. Do you just randomly join sites without looking at them first? Because that negate your whole argument, which makes no sense that we are.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"] System Wars if a forum in the forum section where all you have to do is press a button to enter.DerveCreaves

"This isn't System Wars." or anything similar to that nature is a go-to response for many GameSpot members that think someone is getting to fanboy-ish. And I find it a little hard to believe that a member that's been here for all of 1 day is gonna be familiar with the vibe of the System Wars forum, regardless.

There's no logic here. Do you just randomly join sites without looking at them first? Because that negate your whole argument, which makes no sense that we are.

I realized I was just poking at something I should probably just leave well enough alone because it's not worth the hassle this time around, that's why I deleted the comment. So that's the last you'll hear of this.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DerveCreaves

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

I realized I was just poking at something I should probably just leave well enough alone because it's not worth the hassle this time around, that's why I deleted the comment. So that's the last you'll hear of this.

Well I am not sure what you were implying, I am not causing trouble am I?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="DerveCreaves"] I thought system wars was a separate board?GreekGameManiac

Lol i've been trying to figure out who he is for the past hour.

Pretty sure he is another Another48Hours/StatusShuffle account, but I could be wrong. He seems somewhat nicer, but still has some of the same mannerisms.

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Marmotas

Emerald_Warrior

Oh, i love those 3 first games, they where awesome, but i never thought the story was remarkable in any way, they felt like really cheese b-zombie movies (that this game was inpired btw) and that made them enjoyable.

Now, after they went beyond the "evil corporation is evil" cliche, and decided to add even more evil organizations, tons of senseless plotlines and even more conspirations, making an atempt to be taken seriously as if this story was some deep and thought inducing piece of work... and worst of all, making this poorly written and told stories the highlight of the game with more cutscenes that actual gameplay a-la-metal gear solid, yeah... all the charm from a silly b-graded movie was lost, because the last thing this games evoked was the feeling that it was a serious and complex story.

Now, if this stories were meant to be taken as a parody of a zombi game... then you have a masterpiece, just like what Twilight would be for vampire lore if it was meant as a parody... i swear i laughed so hard at this things every time they actually tried to make me care.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

Resident Evil 1-3 are perfectly good games (tho Resident Evil 4 is much much better), but their stories are pure cheese. That's what people are arguing.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

The whole plot and timeline of events is in RE 5 lol.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 logicalfrank

Marmotas

Oh, i love those 3 first games, they where awesome, but i never thought the story was remarkable in any way, they felt like really cheese b-zombie movies (that this game was inpired btw) and that made them enjoyable.

Now, after they went beyond the "evil corporation is evil" cliche, and decided to add even more evil organizations, tons of senseless plotlines and even more conspirations, making an atempt to be taken seriously as if this story was some deep and thought inducing piece of work... and worst of all, making this poorly written and told stories the highlight of the game with more cutscenes that actual gameplay a-la-metal gear solid, yeah... all the charm from a silly b-graded movie was lost, because the last thing this games evoked was the feeling that it was a serious and complex story.

Now, if this stories were meant to be taken as a parody of a zombi game... then you have a masterpiece, just like what Twilight would be for vampire lore if it was meant as a parody... i swear i laughed so hard at this things every time they actually tried to make me care.

I agree w/ you here. I think the games are excellent but they are not perfect and one point in which they are not perfect is the plot. The rest of the game is just good enough to carry it even w/ that nonsesne attatched.

This is why I'd say they'd be better off w/o the plot. I am of the opinion that a sparse plot is often the best for creating tension in a game--not always but often--and I think Resident Evil would have been better off had they taken this approach. Think something like the original Metroid; it is the starkness of just being dropped on a dark planet w/ barely an idea of what needs to be done that creates the sense of foreigness and forboding. To me, that is more or less the same atmosphere RE goes for but in RE they choose to muck it up w/ a plotline that really doesn't advance that feeling at all.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#45 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="Marmotas"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Emerald_Warrior

Basically this.

Actually it kind of is. You've basically just described a silly, convoluted plot that is little but a complete mess. I might agree with you in the early stages (RE 1 & 2) the games had intriguing plot lines. But that's it really, after Nemesis it got ridiculous so fast...The games would have been better off going the Silent Hill route, where every story arc is connected but interdependent of the others.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I am getting ready to play Resident Evil 4 (and possibly 5). I have never played and RE game. Can someone fill me in on the story? I know the basics about who Umbrella is, but I am still a little hazy on large chunks. Who is Albert Wesker? How did the T-Virus (or the G-Virus, whichever it is) get out of Raccoon City? Why is it in Africa in RE5?

realguitarhero5

go play all other re games. the storyline is huge and complex

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

2. Resident Evil 0

3. Resident Evil 2

4. Resident Evil Nemesis

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Resident Evil 5

Shenmue_Jehuty

I agree, and with Resident Evil 5 it at least has a few links to the previous games (RE4's are very miniscule), and the recurring villain has a lot more substance if you played the previous games. In fact, it takes you to the true origins of RE [spoiler] progenitor virus was discovered in a flower in Africa, the 'stairway of the sun' i think [/spoiler]

Hey if you haven't ever played any of the RE games, and for whatever reason you can't buy or have access to the originals to start with, you should begin with Resident Evil 5, there's an entire backstory in the collection extras menu from RE5 and it's unlocked from the beginning from when the Progenitor virus was first established, up until the events of RE4, not to mention RE5 is essentially 'closure', but then RE6 happened