Resident Evil 7-The death of a Franchise

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By arcangelgold
Member since 2012 • 342 Posts

@redxiii: well you heard wrong. Also it's not just the co-opp issue. I think people enjoy co-open though. Gives replay value. The problem is it had nothing to do with the RE world at all.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By arcangelgold

@avenger85: Too different.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 arcangelgold

@nethernova: it always had extra modes its just back then there was no way to do online. People enjoy those modes.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 arcangelgold

@sukraj: SHE didnt like the game because it was not what was promised, not classic , not nostalgic and not anything like Resident Evil.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#105 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@redxiii said:

Resident evil isnt about the co op modes or pvp, its about horror - which is exactly what RE7 is. RE7 went back to its roots, and from what i have heard, its more like the original resident evils than the last 3.

Resident Evil changes up what it's about every few games. It did from 4-6, and now it's doing the same for 7-?

So yeah, it was about co op modes and stuff, now it's about 1st person. A bit less than half the series is like resi 4 style combat.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#106 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5489 Posts

@arcangelgold:

Are you aware that Resident Evil 7 is in the exact same world as the original Resident Evil games and very much follows the storyline? Or did you just see a few hours and said "**** this." ??

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By arcangelgold

@killered3: oh you mean the who mountains thing? Meh. Its like saying Sonic was in the Re world because it had a photo of the Spencer Mansion on the wall.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By arcangelgold

@putaspongeon: um no. All of the Re titles are like Re 4 except re 4 was the first, third person re title where you could aim your gun.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#109 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 5489 Posts

@arcangelgold:

No, I mean the documents scattered throughout the game mentioning the Raccoon City incident among others, and the fact that a certain pharmaceutical company responsible for the T-Virus outbreak being responsible for the events in the game. Umbrella? Ring any bells?

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@arcangelgold said:

@putaspongeon: um no. All of the Re titles are like Re 4 except re 4 was the first, third person re title where you could aim your gun.

Sorry that you don't know anything about the series you dick ride.

Left4Jess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 Left4Jess
Member since 2017 • 41 Posts

RE7 is great. I am glad they reverted back to more survival horror. I've been a fan since RE1, and haven't had any complaints aside from it becoming too much action, less horror. But they have been correcting this. RE7 was definitely a good game.

arcangelgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 arcangelgold

@left4jess: It was horrible and nothing like the first 4 games at all. It was jumps scares mixed with Saw puzzles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#114 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

@arcangelgold: you are 11 months late.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8982 Posts

I thought this thread looked old, and recall TC just being some odd-ball that watched Youtube videos and thinks he know what games should be. lol

@dorog1995 said:

Not to mention no one gave a **** what this guy thought to begin with. Wouldn't know a good Survival Horror if it slapped him in the junk_

However The Evil Within 2 happened since this thread died, and that's a pretty cool game_

*I still liked Resident Evil 7, and End of Zoe DLC was very fun. Joe Baker is new MC!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@RSM-HQ: Don't worry. I have already bought TEW 2 but I am gonna play it one month later since I am busy with some old games.(And internet is too expensive here)

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40531 Posts

@arcangelgold said:

@putaspongeon: Shut the **** up you waste of virtual space. I don't out up with personal insults from pieces of trash.

You do know "Putaspongeon" has been banned last year right?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By RSM-HQ

@dorog1995: I don't worry, no rush to play a game, it's not like TEW2 has an expiration date on it. .

Does it?

Jokes aside nothing wrong with older games. I played a few retro games last year. All one should do is play what they're in the mood for.

TCs issue was jumping on the Hate_Bandwagon with judging a Capcom game; because it's basically a thing at this point for people who yell at games they never played.

Makes it difficult to be a Resident Evil fan at times because the vocal 'fanbase' is very toxic and immature, most the loud ones still think fixed camera angles are what made the series relevant >_>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
@RSM-HQ said:

Makes it difficult to be a Resident Evil fan at times because the vocal 'fanbase' is very toxic and immature, most the loud ones still think fixed camera angles are what made the series relevant >_>

Even if I was capcom's CEO I wouldn't dare to make any RE game at all due to this fact that they are the most divided fanbase.(some want tank controls and fixed camera angles,some want RE 4 style single player,some want Coop player)

I'm pretty sure that now capcom makes much less RE games because Monster Hunter has replaced RE as their flagship franchise.

Edit: BTW I played all TEW 1's DLCs. Kidman's dlcs were great but the Keeper's DLC was so boring for me.(Even as a huge fan of TEW 1 I couldn't force myself to finish that dlc)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7034 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

I thought this thread looked old, and recall TC just being some odd-ball that watched Youtube videos and thinks he know what games should be. lol

@dorog1995 said:

Not to mention no one gave a **** what this guy thought to begin with. Wouldn't know a good Survival Horror if it slapped him in the junk_

he is actually a 40+ year old she. the odd ball bit is accurate though. she makes a thread on some cretinous opinion, goes nuts when people disagree with her, then disappears off into hibernation for several months. guess we'll see her in another 11 months' time *waves

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Macutchi: replace 'guy' and 'he' with 'dood'. And with that, the order of equality is established_

*To be honest I should stop using the words like "guy" anyway unless the gender is blindly oblivious, however I don't really care what TC is gender-wise, just some whinny Youtuber as I'm concerned.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By RSM-HQ

@dorog1995:

Even if I was capcom's CEO I wouldn't dare to make any RE game at all due to this fact that they are the most divided fanbase.(some want tank controls and fixed camera angles,some want RE 4 style single player,some want Coop player)

You're not wrong. The fanbase has, at least quite a few, lost the point in what makes the series special. I've been a fan for a long time, and still hold the Remake, 4, and Nemesis as my personal favorites. I also return to them more than I care to admit. I love these games.

And all I care for is tension, atmosphere, low ammo supplies, puzzles (Remake 2 will probably dumbed down so anyone can figure it out), big detailed freaks to blast with a shotgun, and finally an inventory system that can make my choices cost me in the long-run/ or reward my careful decisions.

And though First Person is still not my go-to, so long as that short list above makes it in. That to me is a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 7 hit that itch for me I haven't felt in a long time for the series. I'm giving Capcom the benefit of the doubt with the sequel remake. If it's an over-the-shoulder game? That's fine for me, The Evil Within and its sequel in my opinion hits that feel of Resident Evil vibes perfectly while being non-fixed camera angles. And Resi 7 did the same_

I'm pretty sure that now capcom makes much less RE games because Monster Hunter has replaced RE as their flagship franchise.

As a fan of both franchises I'll just be frank. The thing is, Monster Hunter has been saving Capcom from bankruptcy for at least a decade, this isn't new. I know World is selling very well and the first time Americans are actually interested in the series in a big way 'as a MH fan I'm happy about that, means people here know what I mean when I bring it up'

However World is clearly more costly and the global marketing alone gone in would surprise me if World makes more back than 4 or the original X, which sold very well in Asia and Europe in its own right And is still currently Capcoms best selling MH games. and had not close to the expensive marketing, and much cheaper a budget running on the MH3 engine.

With that, Monster Hunter World is probably set to be Capcoms best selling game in a very long time at least, and hopefully the P.C. crowd picks up on this fantastic series as well. May even outsell Resident Evil 5. Which will likely mean the game doesn't get a physical sequel for sometime but instead expansions, which I would greatly prefer, I'm not a huge fan of starting all over with the same game just with G-Rank added_

BTW I played all TEW 1's DLCs. Kidman's dlcs were great but the Keeper's DLC was so boring for me.(Even as a huge fan of TEW 1 I couldn't force myself to finish that dlc)

I personally don't like any of the DLC of TEW, despite plot-wise me liking the missing pieces in Kidmans DLC, the gameplay was too stealth focused and reminded me of MGS VR Missions. I'm not the biggest fan of Stealth Horror games in general, and while the original package had early sections which demanded stealth, that was a tutorial section and eventually became optional. In Kidmans it's a constant need and that bums me out. The Evil Withins best gameplay aspect for me was freedom and choice, most the time I flung bottles and tricked enemies in traps :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
@RSM-HQ said:

@dorog1995:

And all I care for is tension, atmosphere, low ammo supplies, puzzles, big detailed freaks to blast with a shotgun, and finally an inventory system that can make my choices cost me in the long-run/ or reward my careful decisions.

You can also play Metal Gear surVive. It's a survival a little horror game that you may like. It has almost all of the things you want from a survival horror game.(minus the puzzles)

Despite the negativity it gets it's actually quite good in my opinion.(Have already played for 6 hours)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By RSM-HQ

@dorog1995: I've actually been eyeing that game won't lie lol. Though my next multiplayer game will likely be Sea of Thieves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@RSM-HQ: But survive is not a multiplayer only game. It also has a campaign which plays like a single player survival horror game.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Macutchi

@dorog1995: do you need ps plus to play the sp campaign? i read on an amazon review that you did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@Macutchi: I play the PC version which requires internet connection even when you play the single player.(Disconnecting will send you back to main menu)

I am not sure why they did that but I have heard from someone they have done this to prevent the hackers and cheaters in coop mode.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Macutchi

@dorog1995: ok thanks, i can put up with it needing to be always online (just), but it's the requirement of a ps plus subscription bit that i'm confused about. not sure why you'd need that for a single player campaign (i don't play multiplayer so i don't have it).

if i knew i could play it without one i'd pick it up. i was a big fan of mgsv, the stealth aspect was superbly done. not sure why people moan about the open world being empty. you weren't expected to explore it, you were dropped off near a location to get in, do your shit and get out. plus it was afghanistan and zaire, what were they expecting?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 RSM-HQ

@dorog1995: Hmm, that's interesting to know, I do love Survival Horror.

Based on your comment to Mac it's better yo try Survive on P.C. so I'll tab it in my wishlist and wait if it goes on sale :)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8810 Posts

Hate to say it but I'm done with what used to be my favorite series. I tried the demo and hated it. When I got my PSVR, I borrowed it and got a couple hours in and just didn't care.

The series ended for me with RE6.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#135 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

RE7 is actually a step at the right direction. For people who loved the original trilogy, 7 actually really good and felt like those old game in atmosphere and what you do. You are actually in deep shit the whole game.

I'm actually happy they stopped the RE4,5,6 action fest. It was tense but so easy. You never felt in trouble, you find the stupid vendor and get an upgrade and there you go.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By RSM-HQ

@clefdefa: I disagree with Resident Evil 4. It had plenty of tension in the village and castle, the base however had next to no tension or high-stakes, almost everything at that point was recycled and the player was given a ton of ammo to run down hordes.

Looking on Resi4s best aspects- Leon was infected with the parasite and the clock was ticking, just shooting in the water got your face eaten off, a blind man with claws was between you and a needed key, Regenerators, and my favorite. . Fireman. Resdient Evil 4 seems to get far more hate than it deserves when I feel most are referencing 5 or 6.

The other two games (5/6) however, yeah, felt like Capcom wanted to mimic Gears of War_

Chrispy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Chrispy08
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

Its better than 5 or 6 imo

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Clefdefa

@RSM-HQ: To me RE4 was a good game just not a good RE game. So I didn't bother with 5 and 6. When I saw the demo for RE7, I knew it was finally a good RE paying some homage to RE1.

My problem with 4 and it continued with 5 and 6 is there is no survival at all. It is tense but no survival. You could always buy another weapon, or upgrade the ammo capacity and BOOM, you're good to go. They did also program the last chapter of RE4 to adapt to how good everything went. If you had money and weapon, it was hard otherwise there is almost no ennemies.

The only part I loved in RE4 was the alien style monster that you fight in the suspended maze and later it chase you in the tunel. That reminded me of RE3.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By RSM-HQ

@clefdefa: When thinking of Resident Evil 4 I don't really recall surviving being a big issue, however your message reads like someone who already knew how to easily find the blue medals, hide from one hit kill dangers, and how to grab hidden game content.

Try and see it from a first time play-point without using a wiki. Fearing the chainsaws early on, when the night beacons and all the Ganados eyes glow with the potential of revealing what they really are, the first Plaga-hounds biting down into Leon far more ruthless than any T-Virus Dog. All of this I recall with a lot of praise in my first playthrough and hold it up as Survival Horror tropes done right.

Resident Evil games have OP stuff when you know how and when to grab it. Even the Remake (arguably the scariest game in the series) has a hidden Magnum you can get with ease, even the Shotgun is an easy find when you know how to grab it (exact same way as the original).

I do however agree Leon in 4 wasn't exactly helpless if nothing else, round-housing the Ganado wasn't something I expected in Resident Evil at the time. Yet still think they did a good job with keeping the flow of the series in 4, at least to how I recall most the mainline games. The tension was still present even if dimmed. And based of the sales with Remake which I bought a Gamecube for, it had to change I guess, media ripped into Capcom for being "behind the times" as did many 'apparent' Resident Evil fans.

I'm sure we can all agree though the last section of Resident Evil 4 was a bad American Action movie from the 80's.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Clefdefa

@RSM-HQ: I played that game once on the Gamecube before it felt flat and Capcom put their game on the PS2.

From what I remember it wasn't hard to get through the game past the first mob in the village. To me it was just a question of moving around at the right time so they move aways from one of the house and killing all those asshole that goes through the door. Getting their ammo.

I always took the time to search the place once everyone is dead and so I always had enough money to upgrade my stuff on top of all the shit the ennemies drop when dying.

I remember the first encounter with the blind asshole. It was scary but not that hard to drive the ennemy around by shooting the bells but was frustrating to shoot his parasite.

As I said I liked and feared the alien-like monster that chase you in the underground. I liked that part because you never know when that asshole will try to kill you since he runs in the vents so you had to click those quick-time event fast. Also that monster could only be killed or slowed by the cryogenic stuff lying around so it was nice.

I remember getting the shotgun in RE1, it was a blessing even with 2 rounds it coulrd mean I would survive longer... in RE4 you have too much ammo. unless who was bad at shooting stuff in the face or you never found any tresure to upgrade your stuff it was quite a breeze. And you have that wierd dummy who sold you stuff. It wasn't that scary to be able to upgrade or buy better stuff.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36436 Posts

I enjoyed it, but I think people hyped it too much, but I understand that excitement somewhat, it probably was cause for celebration just to have a Capcom game not totally suck. It was fun, not necessarily a return to form as many say. I felt I got my money's worth, got it for like $27 at launch thanks to my XBL and Bing rewards. People overhyped Revelations 2 as well, it sucked for sure, but RE7 wasn't bad, just a bit over-hyped.

But it does piss me off quite a bit that the season pass is way over-priced for what it offers, I would revisit just for that if priced appropriately, or even just the XB1X upgrade that is in development hell, but I have not seen either.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40531 Posts

@yourfavmatt: Please don't bump old threads and this is a 1 year old thread at best.

Locked for necro thread.