Resident Evil 4: what is all the fuss about?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tcarruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tcarruth
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

Ok so I played the original resident evil and quite liked it but was frustrated by the controls.  I stayed clear of all the sequels until the other day when a friend of mine whose judgement I usually trust, recommended the fourth in the series (on the PS2). So after reading some reviews all including stuff like "even if you're not really into survival horror you have to check this game out" I though well ok maybe its that good. 

The reviews should read "ONLY if you are really into survival horror should you check this game out". I mean I've been playing for a couple of hours and its a ridiculously linear game with sluggish controls and irritating game mechanics (I passed this town in which the zombies just keep spawning... what the hell?).  You can't even move and shoot at the same time. You can't even go backwards at a pace other than a crawl. So the zombie keep coming and you end up in precisely the same situation time and time again. Its boring at best. What on earth is so good about this game? Please tell me what the hook is because so far I'm appalled/bored/frustrated (its so annoying attempting precision with the PS2 controller after using a mouse on the PC.. so, so annoying).

Anyone want a copy of RE4? If someone doesn't inspire me, it'll be on ebay tonight!

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#2 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
It's just your opinion. People talk about how great Halo and God of War and Devil May Cry are, I don't care for those series that much. It's just your preference of gameplay. Clearly a lot of other people thought it was good for some reason though. I've never played it, so I can't say anything about it, but I did like the previous RE titles a lot.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Well, the game is a realtively well structured and balanced action game.  You have to learn how to manage and negotiate situations regarding zombies to take care of them (namely through understanding how to bottleneck their motions, and maximize every bullet you have to take care of situations)

That said, it's not for everyone, and in some cases, if it just isn't your bag...it isn't your bag, and no one really can convince you otherwise.

Regardless, this topic has been talked to death over, so I'm closing this thread.