Replay- The complete History of Video Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xxBenblasterxx (98 posts) -

13211059.jpeg

So I just finished reading 'Replay', its a fascinating read chronicling as the title would suggest the complete history of video games. What i took most prominently from reading it was how our industry appears to be coming full circle. The video game industry was born a 'Wild West' style industry of home developers creating ingenious games that spawned an industry. Now once again within our industry we are witnessing the most creativity within efforts of the smaller indie developers and more and more of us are turning to indie developers for our video game enjoyment having been bored to death with endless Call of Duty clones and because of this big developers are now turning once again to the 'Wild West' world of game development for there next big title.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is that tis book really showed me just how exciting the future of the games industry is and for this i strongly recommend it!

So what other books written on video games should i be reading next?

#2 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6362 posts) -

I was lucky enough to be born just in time to live the history of video games.

Arcade games - This is where it all started, standing and throwing quarters into a machine to play Space Invaders and Pacman.

Home systems - Magnavox, Atari 2600, Colecovision etc this came next

Home computers - Apple and Commodore started the home computer hobby

PC - Started by IBM but they were unable to manage growth properly, and unable to see the PC as anything but a machine to run spreadsheets, hence they never designed it for any kind of serious graphical functions until...

Video cards - Used to house an additional CPU for graphics heavy functions. Eventually this CPU became known as a GPU. I still remember buying my first Voodoo card.

Etc - Nintendo became a big player in the console market with the NES. Then came Sega and Sonic the Hedgehog. Then Playstation, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox etc. I missed this whole scene except for one game : Duck Hunt, I used to love playing this on my friend's NES.

Piracy - At this point piracy of PC games was becoming pretty rampant, and developers started pushing towards consoles as their "mainstream" but somehow it never worked because consoles at the time just weren't powerful enough to do any serious gaming until

Xbox360 & PS3 - Finally we had consoles that were capable of playing what the developers wanted to show us, but the 512MB RAM was really a hinderance and led to cutscene overuse to hide the level loading in the background.

Wii - It'll make your kids exercise (tm)

WiiU - What is this? Tablet?

720/PS4 - Finally, 4-8 GB of RAM and some serious hardware for big sprawling levels, advanced AI, having more assets for big serious games.

PC - And still the humble PC chugs along.

#3 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

i don't consider indy games innovating at all. i think what indie games are doing is making more polished retro games or retro game hybrids....

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (20834 posts) -
Does it mention Tennis for Two?
#5 Posted by CreatureRising (1541 posts) -

PC - And still the humble PC chugs along.

ZombieKiller7

Lol, well put.

#7 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

i don't consider indy games innovating at all. i think what indie games are doing is making more polished retro games or retro game hybrids....

jsmoke03

So much wrong in one small sentence. 

Equating indie gaming with 2D.

Equating 2D with "retro"; no such thing as a "modern" 2D game.

No innovation possible in 2D gaming.