Repair original Xbox?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts
Can I get my original Xbox repaired? If so does anyone know how much it will cost? Or who I would contact to get this done? I keep getting disc read errors with my games. I would buy a used one but I'm worried that I'll just inherit the same problem with another (who knows how heavily) used console. Most of the games I own aren't BC with the 360 so please don't offer that as a solution. Thanks.
bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts
My bet is that it'd cost more than just buying a used or refurbed console at your local Gamestop. I think you can get them there for $40 or $50?
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Magnol49

My bet is that it'd cost more than just buying a used or refurbed console at your local Gamestop. I think you can get them there for $40 or $50?bitemeslippy

I just called them (Gamestop) and they have them for $50-plus they guarantee them so it makes sense to give that a shot. I didn't think they still sold them.

So...good idea - Thanks!

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

[QUOTE="bitemeslippy"]My bet is that it'd cost more than just buying a used or refurbed console at your local Gamestop. I think you can get them there for $40 or $50?Magnol49

I just called them (Gamestop) and they have them for $50-plus they guarantee them so it makes sense to give that a shot. I didn't think they still sold them.

So...good idea - Thanks!

I think M$ still repairs them. But for a price...

Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

Most of the games I had were not compatible with Xbox 360 as well.

My Xbox keeps getting read errors and freezing, I just havn't gotten around to correcting the problem yet.

I wouldn't really trust anything you buy from Gamestop, the only reason somebody would sell Gamestop an Xbox for $20 is if it is broken. Come to think of it, I think I may do that with mine.

bitemeslippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 bitemeslippy
Member since 2005 • 1626 Posts

[QUOTE="bitemeslippy"]My bet is that it'd cost more than just buying a used or refurbed console at your local Gamestop. I think you can get them there for $40 or $50?Magnol49

So...good idea - Thanks!

No problem glad to be of assistance.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Magnol49

Most of the games I had were not compatible with Xbox 360 as well.

My Xbox keeps getting read errors and freezing, I just havn't gotten around to correcting the problem yet.

I wouldn't really trust anything you buy from Gamestop, the only reason somebody would sell Gamestop an Xbox for $20 is if it is broken. Come to think of it, I think I may do that with mine.

Fredrick2003x

What would a better alternative be?

I really don't trust Gametop either - I bought a used Xbox there a few years ago that didn't work. But I think it's better than ordering a used one off ebay or Amazon since you might be getting someone else's halfway dead console there too. When I get it, I'll make them fire it up in the store to make sure it works if they aren't too busy. Plus they guarantee it for 30 days I think and the guy I spoke with said you can buy a 1 yr (swap out) warranty for $5 or $10. Worse case scenario -for me it's easier to deal with them (5 min from my house) than have to stress over shipping charges/getting back and forth to the post office or dealing with an unresponsive online seller if there is a problem. Or Microsoft.

Plus it's faster. (and cheaper?)

JohnnyRebel33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 JohnnyRebel33
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts
im the only one of my many friends who got a refurb xbox, im also the only one who has never had a problem with his xbox despite having put over 10000 runtime hours on it (left it running 24/7 for near a year plus average halo tourney gamer play for the last 6 years)... i bought mine at gamestop.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I know you said most of your 360 games aren't backwards compatible, but you have you hooked your 360 up to the internet to see if patches are available?
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Magnol49

I know you said most of your 360 games aren't backwards compatible, but you have you hooked your 360 up to the internet to see if patches are available?UT_Wrestler

Yes and no. Mostly I'm basing it off the list of backward compatible games they have at xbox.com. Which hasn't been updated/added to since November 2007. Or maybe that's when they stopped working on the BC for original xbox games. That's not to say I haven't tried them in my 360 - I've found that if they aren't on that list, they haven't worked. But then again - as you've alluded to - when I've tried this - I haven't been hooked up to XBL. So maybe I should try it when I'm connected. On the other hand - all the games I have that are on the list work in the 360 without being connected to XBL.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Magnol49

So here's a cautionary tale. I did end up going to Gamestop to get a used original xbox. However -like I wrote earlier, I was going to ask them to fire it up in the store to make sure it worked. At the first store I went to I did just that. They only had one (refurbished) in stock. They brought it out - it was packaged - with a big sticker on it that stated it was 'tested and guaranteed to work' blah blah blah. So dude hooks it up to a tv , turns it on and says, "Yep, look it works" and begins to start unhooking it. I ask him to try a game in it. Begrudgingly he goes and gets a game. When he goes to try and put the game in the tray won't open. Another employee tries and can't get the tray to open either. Finally they pry it open with a paper clip- the tray won't open or close - it's obviously broken. Despite having that 'tested and guaranteed to work' sticker on it. That was the only one they had so I went to another store to try there. (There are about 4 stores in a 5 mile radius of where I live).

They only had one in stock at the next store I tried. This one wasn't refurbished -someone had brought it in that very day. I had them try it and it fired up just fine. They tried a game in it and it worked right away so I said I would take it.

I've tried a few of my games that the xbox I'm replacing won't play (the Warriors, Painkiller, Syberia) and they all start and play great. No disc read errors, freezing or choppiness. This one is also quiet - it doesn't sound like it's in agony trying to read the disc like my old one - so far, so good. I'm feeling pretty lucky. Hope this one lasts long enough to play all the games I want to play on it.

Moral of the story: HAVE THEM TEST IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]I know you said most of your 360 games aren't backwards compatible, but you have you hooked your 360 up to the internet to see if patches are available?Magnol49

Yes and no. Mostly I'm basing it off the list of backward compatible games they have at xbox.com. Which hasn't been updated/added to since November 2007. Or maybe that's when they stopped working on the BC for original xbox games. That's not to say I haven't tried them in my 360 - I've found that if they aren't on that list, they haven't worked. But then again - as you've alluded to - when I've tried this - I haven't been hooked up to XBL. So maybe I should try it when I'm connected. On the other hand - all the games I have that are on the list work in the 360 without being connected to XBL.

Yeah I have a lot of old xbox games that wouldn't have worked unless I had my system hooked up to xbl to download patches. They have them available for most of the better games.
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts
...you could probably just open it and clean out the drive. Worst case scenario, you find a compatible drive for the Xbox and replace the old one for I don't know, 20 bucks? The Xbox is a lot easier to work with inside than every other recent console. A screwdriver, pliers, and some q-tips are often all you need address that problem in the Xbox (...not so much the PS2). If you're going to get one used, I'll agree with the other guy. Regardless of how hesitant or annoyed the employee is, make sure they test it with a game (respectfully of course). I wouldn't even suggest ordering it online, because shipping is absurd.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I might consider taking that Xbox off your hands and replacing the disc drive with one that works so that I can resell it as a working model. They're pretty easy to service if you have Torx T10 and T20 screwdrivers, since the casing comes apart pretty easily. (Basically, flip it upside-down, unscrew all the screws, flip it back over, and pull the top straight-up! It's easy access to the drives from there.)
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

I might consider taking that Xbox off your hands and replacing the disc drive with one that works so that I can resell it as a working model. They're pretty easy to service if you have Torx T10 and T20 screwdrivers, since the casing comes apart pretty easily. (Basically, flip it upside-down, unscrew all the screws, flip it back over, and pull the top straight-up! It's easy access to the drives from there.)NamelessPlayer

ok i have a question for you. my xbox as of lately has been not opening. like i would press the open button but the drive acts like it will open but stays shut.

now i dont think i have the right kind of screws to open it. so do you know if there is a way to fix it without taking the xbox apart.

because there is still games i play on my xbox that are not compatible with my 360 and i dont have online to get patches, so is it possible to fix my problem without taking apart my xbox.

if not about how hard is it to change the drive because im not very good with taking thing apart and putting them back together

any help would be helpful. thanks in advance

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

ok i have a question for you. my xbox as of lately has been not opening. like i would press the open button but the drive acts like it will open but stays shut.

now i dont think i have the right kind of screws to open it. so do you know if there is a way to fix it without taking the xbox apart.

because there is still games i play on my xbox that are not compatible with my 360 and i dont have online to get patches, so is it possible to fix my problem without taking apart my xbox.

if not about how hard is it to change the drive because im not very good with taking thing apart and putting them back together

any help would be helpful. thanks in advance

konvikt_17
Here's a disassembly guide that'll give you a good idea as to what the internals of that big black box are like. I find it very easy to work with and could swap a drive without too much hassle. If your drive won't open...well, my expertise doesn't go that far when it comes to fixing it (I've never disassembled a disc drive due to not having one fail on me yet), though I could replace it with a working drive. However, if you have a disc in the drive already that you want it to cough up, try getting a paper clip, bending it straight, and poking it through a little hole in the front near the lower-right corner of the drive tray. Most disc drives have these-it's a means of opening the tray if the eject button isn't doing its job. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to fix it without taking things apart, since it's a malfunctioning disc drive.
JohnnyRebel33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JohnnyRebel33
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts
many games were patched by microsoft, but the ones that werent patched have two choices, one is let the game die, two is send out their own patch for their own game to make it work on the 360... so you really do need to connect it to live when you put them in...
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#18 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Go buy a new one a Gamestop pay an extra 10 bucks so that you have 1 year warranty then it should all work out just fine.
JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
Have tried contacting Microsoft ? You might be able to get a discount at EbGames/Gamestop towards a refurbished one.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5594 Posts
Go buy a new one a Gamestop pay an extra 10 bucks so that you have 1 year warranty then it should all work out just fine. bigd575
Its $5 and better hurry up.. they will start to disappear from GameStop's after Feb. 9'th.. :)
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

So here's a cautionary tale. I did end up going to Gamestop to get a used original xbox. However -like I wrote earlier, I was going to ask them to fire it up in the store to make sure it worked. At the first store I went to I did just that. They only had one (refurbished) in stock. They brought it out - it was packaged - with a big sticker on it that stated it was 'tested and guaranteed to work' blah blah blah. So dude hooks it up to a tv , turns it on and says, "Yep, look it works" and begins to start unhooking it. I ask him to try a game in it. Begrudgingly he goes and gets a game. When he goes to try and put the game in the tray won't open. Another employee tries and can't get the tray to open either. Finally they pry it open with a paper clip- the tray won't open or close - it's obviously broken. Despite having that 'tested and guaranteed to work' sticker on it. That was the only one they had so I went to another store to try there. (There are about 4 stores in a 5 mile radius of where I live).

They only had one in stock at the next store I tried. This one wasn't refurbished -someone had brought it in that very day. I had them try it and it fired up just fine. They tried a game in it and it worked right away so I said I would take it.

I've tried a few of my games that the xbox I'm replacing won't play (the Warriors, Painkiller, Syberia) and they all start and play great. No disc read errors, freezing or choppiness. This one is also quiet - it doesn't sound like it's in agony trying to read the disc like my old one - so far, so good. I'm feeling pretty lucky. Hope this one lasts long enough to play all the games I want to play on it.

Moral of the story: HAVE THEM TEST IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Magnol49

Good moral. I'll keep this in mind if I ever buy a used console from them. I doubt I will.