Rememeber the Contra series? Favorite Contra games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
After the series ended I went back to play all the great Contra games, and even some of the more 3D games, they were pretty decent unlike most gamers saying they were garbage at the time. I would say nothing said action and co-op play like Contra, i did like how later games were designed for SP in mind more, and some of the remakes were nice. My favorite is Contra Hardcorpse, masterpieces.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Uh.

It hasn't really ended.

But my favourite,if i had to choose,would be Contra III.

And Shattered Soldier,though too hard.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Contra III is my favorite by a wide margin. Just so many fond memories of playing 2 player with my brother on that game. Contra and Super Contra were good though too.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The first Contra on the NES is my fave.

The arcade version may be technically better but it doesn't feel as good to me.

The Japanese version is even better (called "Gryzor" there) with better graphics and all.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I'll always have a soft spot for Contra III. My brother and I used to play it all the time. Contra 4 is also worth a mention, as it's basically a celebration of the series and has plenty of cool unlockables for fans.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

It's still around, it's not gone, yet. We got releases on PS2, and Nintendo DS. We haven't gotten another, but then the 3DS is still relatively young, so I wouldn't count it out completely, just yet.

As for my favorite, that's easy, the original game, the NES port particularly. One of the rare examples where the NES version is without a doubt better than the Arcade version. Ninja Gaiden is the only other NES game I can think of like this. I played that game so freaking much with friends and my cousins. It's to the point where I can blow through that game in less than a half hour. I just love it!

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A

cheetahman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 cheetahman91
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

The series hasn't ended yet. We got a new one last year for XBLA and PSN.

Anyways, my favorite is Contra NES. The Japanese version of Hard Cops isn't too far behind.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
I have not played them all, but I played most of them and its gotta be Shatered Soldier for me. I never did beat it but me and my friend used to have a blast trying.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

It's still around, it's not gone, yet. We got releases on PS2, and Nintendo DS. We haven't gotten another, but then the 3DS is still relatively young, so I wouldn't count it out completely, just yet.

As for my favorite, that's easy, the original game, the NES port particularly. One of the rare examples where the NES version is without a doubt better than the Arcade version. Ninja Gaiden is the only other NES game I can think of like this. I played that game so freaking much with friends and my cousins. It's to the point where I can blow through that game in less than a half hour. I just love it!

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Emerald_Warrior

I have to post this every time I see a Contra thread... Does everybody see the Konami code that Emerald_Warrior posted? Just take out the second B, A

OK, now press those buttons on your keyboard while in gamespot (very quickly) and press enter at the end! Just an easter egg :) try it out!

*note* I couldn't get it to work... :( can somebody else try it... they might have taken it out of the site.

ANyways, Contra, Super C, and Contr III were by far and still are the best. I would have just said the first three however Contra Force (NES) is technically the third contra game meaning that Contra III the Alien Wars on the SNES should have been called Contra IV

Anyways though, Contra Force still remains the number one game on my wishlist, where it has remained for about 10 years... lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ive played the nes one, the aracde version and contra 3 on the snes...

contra 3 felt a bit hard....the arcade version was a bit wierd... i like the nes one best.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier are my favorites.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A

Emerald_Warrior
We did get Hard Corps: Uprising for PSN/XBLA, it doesn't have Contra in the name of which I have no idea way; it might have sold more.
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
am I the only one here that thought neo contra on ps2 was the best contra? it was a blast to play and me and a buddy would play it nonstop. my second would have to be super contra on snes, which I have lots of fond memories if as well.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

WitIsWisdom

I have to post this every time I see a Contra thread... Does everybody see the Konami code that Emerald_Warrior posted? Just take out the second B, A

OK, now press those buttons on your keyboard while in gamespot (very quickly) and press enter at the end! Just an easter egg :) try it out!

*note* I couldn't get it to work... :( can somebody else try it... they might have taken it out of the site.

ANyways, Contra, Super C, and Contr III were by far and still are the best. I would have just said the first three however Contra Force (NES) is technically the third contra game meaning that Contra III the Alien Wars on the SNES should have been called Contra IV

Anyways though, Contra Force still remains the number one game on my wishlist, where it has remained for about 10 years... lol

I am pretty sure Contra Force was not a Contra game and they slapped Contra on it and most people have no idea what that game is. Because Konami.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

StatusShuffle

I am pretty sure Contra Force was not a Contra game and they slapped Contra on it and most people have no idea what that game is. Because Konami.

It is very true that just like Super Mario Brothers 2 (originally doki doki panic in japan), the game was NOT initially designed to be a Contra game (it was scheduled to release in japan with the title Arc Hound). However, just as SMB2 is considered a mario game and a part of the numbered series, Contra Force was and is considered the third game in the Contra series on the NES. I guess Konami simply tried to hide this fact (seeing as though most people dont even realize contra force exists) by releasing Contra III on the SNES covering up a major slip up on their side. A classic example of game producer slapping a sticker on something trying to maximize profits (even though in this case it didn't work... lol).

check this wiki line out (*note* I realize wikipedia isnt always accurate and not an accredited site usually worth citing)

"The American release of Contra Force was first announced in 1991 and was planned to be the third console installment of the series (which it was),[14] which is why the working title of Contra III: The Alien Wars was "Super Contra IV"."[15]

I guess that answers our question.... Contra III is indeed Super Contra IV, meaning Contra IV is actually Contra XII.

I said contra IV is actually XII because IV should actually be V, and then 5 more Contra titles were released before the release of Contra IV but, you need to add Operation C that released on the gameboy, that would make IT the true Contra III and making what we know to be Contra III instead be titled Contra V. ok I give up.. lol

Quite a confusing timeline this series has.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

WitIsWisdom

It is very true that just like Super Mario Brothers 2 (originally doki doki panic in japan), the game was NOT initially designed to be a Contra game (it was scheduled to release in japan with the title Arc Hound). However, just as SMB2 is considered a mario game and a part of the numbered series, Contra Force was and is considered the third game in the Contra series on the NES. I guess Konami simply tried to hide this fact (seeing as though most people dont even realize contra force exists) by releasing Contra III on the SNES covering up a major slip up on their side. A classic example of game producer slapping a sticker on something trying to maximize profits (even though in this case it didn't work... lol).

check this wiki line out (*note* I realize wikipedia isnt always accurate and not an accredited site usually worth citing)

"The American release of Contra Force was first announced in 1991 and was planned to be the third console installment of the series (which it was),[14] which is why the working title of Contra III: The Alien Wars was "Super Contra IV"."[15]

I guess that answers our question.... Contra III is indeed Super Contra IV, meaning Contra IV is actually Contra XII.

I said contra IV is actually XII because IV should actually be V, and then 5 more Contra titles were released before the release of Contra IV but, you need to add Operation C that released on the gameboy, that would make IT the true Contra III and making what we know to be Contra III instead be titled Contra V. ok I give up.. lol

Quite a confusing timeline this series has.

It says working title, and it never got that title. So Countra Force technically is NOT the 3rd game, they prevented it from being the 3rd game. I mean game series has spin-offs, and what finer example of than than Megaman, which btw......
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WitIsWisdom

Which by the way what? I realize games have spin offs, but in most cases it is at least semi clear in the point of doing so. Contra "spinoffs" are about as clear as mud. With that being said, it WAS still a contra game, and it WAS the third in the series, so I guess I don't get your point. Also a lot of spinoffs of other franchises are developed by different companies. These so called contra spinoffs you talk about are limited to a series of just one game? In that case there are three times the ammount of Contra "spinoffs" all under differetn titles then in the numbered series alone. All of them being made by one company. So you believe the only true contra experiences to be contra, super c, alien wars, IV, etc? What makes it clear that contra, and super c are numbered 1 and 2, yet other games in the series recieve no number? The numbering does not make sense, and that's my take. I love most Contra games and the first 3 that are numbered are some of my favorite games of all time. However for one to think that there are only 4 Contra games because those are the only "numbered" ones, and all the rest are spin offs, that means that 15 out of 19 games (something like that) are not as important as the others?

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

It says Contra in the title, it's a Contra game, period. Just the same way SMB 2 is a Mario game, even though it was original Doki Doki Panic in Japan.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Contra III! Me and my friend played it so much that we could beat i on the hardest difficulty without dying back when we were kids.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

WitIsWisdom

The code still works on the site it just takes to the Contra game on gamespot. And for the thread I vote NES Contra then Super C, and Contra for SNES.
riIpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 riIpas
Member since 2012 • 130 Posts
contra: hardcorps is the best imo
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Arthas045

The code still works on the site it just takes to the Contra game on gamespot. And for the thread I vote NES Contra then Super C, and Contra for SNES.

First of all, I couldn't get it to work for some reason (although I have done it on and off for years just for fun). Second of all, I think that "just taking you to the game" is a pretty cool hidden easter egg that most people on this site do not know about.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Alien Wars, it's the only contra game I got far in but couldn't finish.
shmuklidooha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 shmuklidooha
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts
I'd say that Probotector 1 is the classic that put the genre on the map.