Religious gamer receives refund for forced Baptism in Bioshock Infinite

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Can someone please tell this doofus that he was playing a video game and he was not actually getting baptized in real life

Thanks

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897

"As baptism of the Holy spirit is at the center of Christianity--of which I am a devout believer--I am basically being forced to make a choice between committing extreme blasphemy by my actions in choosing to accept this 'choice' or forced to quit playing the game before it even really starts," Malmberg said.

LOL this guy is even more full of shit than I first thought. What did he think would happen after he got past the baptism scene, exactly? Did he think the game is full of holding hands and hugging each other?

"Forcefully being baptized in a video game is against my religion"
"Yeah I bought this game that's all about going around and shooting people, what's your point?"

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

A religious, Christian gamer demanded and received a full refund from Valve for forced Baptism in Bioshock Infinite. He has no problem digitally murdering pixelized NPC's but a fake Baptism was apparently more than he could bear. When does the self entitlement stop and companies start standing their ground?

Game_Guy567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Game_Guy567
Member since 2009 • 3427 Posts

I thought this was a joke when I first heard it...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Well..that's just stupid.
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Which company didn't "stand up to self-entitlement"? Valve?

If so, big deal, $60. If I were in Valve's situation I'd do the same.  Their option was getting into some philosophical argument with a consumer or just shrugging and giving the dude his money back.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69440 Posts

I was baffled by the responses I read in this post but, then I remembered I was on the internet. :|

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Religious people think they have special privileges because of things like this... we need to stop giving fundies an exemption from reality.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So this guy has a problem with baptism, but no issue with shooting people in the face? Ok...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think this is pretty stupid, do some research first, it's been clear that this game has a religious tone
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Thanks for the unmarked spoilers. Much obliged
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It's a video game -- a work of fiction. I mean, the whole game is full of liberal bullshlt, but it's still a great game. I just ignore all the religious stereotyping and attacks on turn of the century America -- it's really not that hard to do. Take it for what it is and enjoy it: a very well made, enjoyable work of fiction that shouldn't be taken seriously one way or the other. 

Now, if he wanted his money back because there still isn't any real penalty for dying, I'd say he had a case. :P 

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Thanks for the unmarked spoilers. Much obligedBlack_Knight_00
This is barely a spoiler. This scene happens immediately in the beginning of the game.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HipHopBeats

Thanks for the unmarked spoilers. Much obligedBlack_Knight_00

If you're that sensitive to spoilers stay off the net, especially gaming forums. This is not even a story spoiler and takes place during the 1st 10 minutes of the game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Thanks for the unmarked spoilers. Much obligeddvader654
This happens in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Oh, well, that's better
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

normally i would give kudos to this (i give kudos for people standing up to their beliefs) but i really dont know what scene this is but im guessing someone got a little too sensitive over something that wasnt that big of a deal.

if following religious beliefs was part of the case, then no christian/catholic would ever play anything violent. but i really have to see this clip that someone got offended with if it was really insulting.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Lol. Funny

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
in all the editorializing after infinite, i think what's gotten lost is the central theme of hypocrisy. at least somebody is bringing it back into the discussion.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

It's hard to figure how anyone who read the reviews of the game or watched the video reviews could not know about the pseudo-religiosity in Bioshock and then be shocked by it.  In any case, if they were genuinely offended by the content based on their religious beliefs then I suppose it's just good customer service to give them a refund.  On the other hand, it could just be a clever way to play the game for free.

Avatar image for DenaliStrat1020
DenaliStrat1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DenaliStrat1020
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

As a Christian, I found the violence to be much more offensive than all the religious symbolism. Still, fantastic game. If that's how he felt though, good on Valve to give his money back, no matter how ridiculous other people may see it. I find it baffling that so many Christian gamers have more problems with sex and language and something that challenges their beliefs than chopping off some dude's neck in Call of Duty. Sheesh.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

lol I think I might try that so I don't have to spend $60 for a ten hour game.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

He should in no way be given a refund, and no company is obligated to return money to a customer because someone's personal beliefs do not align with what they're buying. That's ridiculous. Of course if he didn't get one he'd probably throw up a hissy fit on Change.org and get a million+ sigs. MirkoS77

That's a bit harsh.  It's good customer service to give a refund to a dissatisfied customer, the details of the reason are less important.  In this particular case, however, it's hard to figure why he's playing such video games at all, but I generally tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer unless they're being blantly abusive, so I can't fault Steam for issuing the refund.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Jesus Chri.... Goddam.... For Heaven's Sa....

*sigh*

It's a videogame. I'm really, really trying not to be judgemental here, but man. How can people live like this and not live under a rock? Does this guy even go outside? I can understand adhering to one's beliefs, but c'mon. I think someone should assure him that he won't be insulting the creator of the universe by playing a virtual character that gets virtually baptized. He'll be forgiven. God's a cool guy, he loves gaming.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

It's hard to figure how anyone who read the reviews of the game or watched the video reviews could not know about the pseudo-religiosity in Bioshock and then be shocked by it.  In any case, if they were genuinely offended by the content based on their religious beliefs then I suppose it's just good customer service to give them a refund.  On the other hand, it could just be a clever way to play the game for free.

capaho
He should in no way be given a refund, and no company is obligated to return money to a customer because someone's personal beliefs do not align with what they're buying. That's ridiculous. Of course if he didn't get one he'd probably throw up a hissy fit on Change.org and get a million+ sigs.
usernamenoway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 usernamenoway
Member since 2012 • 43 Posts

Yeah. It's easy to jump on someone for being a Christian (I am not, but more power to you if you are a spiirtual person).

Whenever I have a knee-jerk reaction to criticizing a Christian I always pause to ask myself, "Would I do the same to a Hindu, Buddist, Jew or Muslim?" and the answer is always "No".

People have the right to hold whatever beliefs they want, however ridiculous they may seem.  If Valve chose to honor that, even if for convenience, than good for them.

lozengez

Very astute point....good way to put it....kinda changes my outlook on it tbh

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

A religious, Christian gamer demanded and received a full refund from Valve for forced Baptism in Bioshock Infinite. He has no problem digitally murdering pixelized NPC's but a fake Baptism was apparently more than he could bear. When does the self entitlement stop and companies start standing their ground?

HipHopBeats
What are you on about? are you really this shallow and limited that you cannot understand another persons view and be glad that his views are taken serious, despite how insane they may be from a company like Valve. I think it shows Valve as AAA company.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#28 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

So this guy has a problem with baptism, but no issue with shooting people in the face? Ok...

Vari3ty

Of course the violence doesn't bother him, religious history is full of ridiculous amounts of violence.

This really is such a joke, but I'd give him the $60 back too, just to get him to shut up already.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#29 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Jacanuk

What are you on about? are you really this shallow and limited that you cannot understand another persons view and be glad that his views are taken serious, despite how insane they may be from a company like Valve. I think it shows Valve as AAA company.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If the game conflicts with his views then he should turn it off and not play it. The refund is irrelevant, this guy is a hypocrite by citing religion as the reason he can't (but really won't) play it.

Taking a stand for your views is great, having them taken seriously is even better. But this is just pathetic, and it falls into the 'get over it' category.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
The guy is an idiot.. he has a problem with the character in the game taking a baptism but no issue at all with murdering a heap of people.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#31 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Jacanuk

I think it's a prime example of religious people picking and choosing, which goes on a lot these days. If you don't like the baptism, that's fine, but you're totally cool with mass amounts of murder? 

More power to Valve for respecting that guy's beliefs, though.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LoG-Sacrament
The guy is an idiot.. he has a problem with the character in the game taking a baptism but no issue at all with murdering a heap of people.Rattlesnake_8
you haven't heard of the commandment "thou shalt not accept video game baptism"?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JML897

He might have had a problem with the violence in the game, but apparently he never got to that point since he never made it past the baptism. Accusing him of being a hypocrite is pretty speculative, about the most one can say is that he probably should have researched the game better before buying it.MrGeezer

I have trouble believing he paid (presumably) $50-60 for Bioshock Infinite without having a general idea of the game and the violence in it. Even on the Steam page there's a "rated M" thing that says "Intense Violence".

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Blueresident87

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If the game conflicts with his views then he should turn it off and not play it. The refund is irrelevant, this guy is a hypocrite by citing religion as the reason he can't (but really won't) play it.

Taking a stand for your views is great, having them taken seriously is even better. But this is just pathetic, and it falls into the 'get over it' category.

What you just said makes no sense? The whole key in this is the refund, should Valve give a refund because of someone's religious beliefs or any other reasonable refund request. Also for you his views might seem pathetic and ludicrous but try to expand your horizon by accepting that for him and others their religion is a very strong influence in their life, and when it doesn't say on the box or in any review "You cannot get around the baptism ceremony". Valve as a serious company should of course give the guy a refund, good customer service doesn't cost them anything.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

IndianaPwns39

I think it's a prime example of religious people picking and choosing, which goes on a lot these days. If you don't like the baptism, that's fine, but you're totally cool with mass amounts of murder? 

Well, i cant say that i agree with his views but ya as you said more power to Valve for respecting his views and giving a refund, its not like its going to cost them anything, s

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#36 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?

You can go around killing innocent people. ....The damn kids are still invincible though.

usernamenoway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 usernamenoway

I dont think he was offended at all....he either didnt like the game or it was too hard for him....so he made up some shit to get his money back.....it makes too little sense to kill ppl and be pissed about a virtual baptism

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Yeah. It's easy to jump on someone for being a Christian (I am not, but more power to you if you are a spiirtual person).

Whenever I have a knee-jerk reaction to criticizing a Christian I always pause to ask myself, "Would I do the same to a Hindu, Buddist, Jew or Muslim?" and the answer is always "No".

People have the right to hold whatever beliefs they want, however ridiculous they may seem.  If Valve chose to honor that, even if for convenience, than good for them.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LoG-Sacrament

lozengez
if a buddhist bought a shooter and then returned it because of a baptism scene, i'd laugh my ass off.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Can someone please tell this doofus that he was playing a video game and he was not actually getting baptized in real life

Thanks

JML897
And I hate this line of reasoning. I'm sure most reasonable people have a line that they've drawn in the sand. If I bought a game and then found out halfway through that finishing it requires my character to rape people or lynch blacks, I'd have a problem with that. You and I and most people might not have a problem with a video game baptism, but that doesn't mean that people should be okay with it just because it's not real.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer

IndianaPwns39
Just playing devil's advocate here, but "murder" needs to be taken in context. Shooting enemies in one game might not be as offensive as the violence in something like Manhunt. It's entirely reasonable for someone to be okay with the violence in one game and not another. And while I haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet, I'm told that the Baptism sequence happens literally right at the beginning of the game. He might have had a problem with the violence in the game, but apparently he never got to that point since he never made it past the baptism. Accusing him of being a hypocrite is pretty speculative, about the most one can say is that he probably should have researched the game better before buying it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer

I have trouble believing he paid (presumably) $50-60 for Bioshock Infinite without having a general idea of the game and the violence in it. Even on the Steam page there's a "rated M" thing that says "Intense Violence".

JML897
What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?
usernamenoway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 usernamenoway

What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?Legolas_Katarn

You can go around killing innocent people. ....The damn kids are still invincible though.

I hope that was a joke......you aren't you saying that you wish you could kill kids in the game are you....b/c i would probably take a game back if you could do that....
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGeezer

What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?Legolas_Katarn

Okay. News to me though. I personally assumed that it'd be more like Bioshock and Bioshock 2, where you're just killing people who are trying to gun you down. It's not exactly all that implausible for someone who buys the game to not know that.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?usernamenoway

I hope that was a joke......you aren't you saying that you wish you could kill kids in the game are you....b/c i would probably take a game back if you could do that....

I don't know...I think a game that allowed that sort of thing to happen without in any way encouraging it could be a great learning experience. Think about if you fired off a rocket launcher at a crowd of enemies, and then walked over there afterwards and saw a child-size corpse....that'd be pretty crushing. I guarantee you that most of us would play the game differently from that point on - more controlled, more worried about what we weren't seeing. It might just give us a greater appreciation of what soldiers and police officers go through everyday. Spec Ops: the Line tried this a bit, and I gotta say, as far as emotional experiences in gaming go, it was pretty effective.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Jacanuk

Why even have a Mature rating on games at all? Should the fake Baptism be removed to appease all religious gamers? No religious gamer had a problem with having to sell your soul in order to successfully complete the Theives Guild in Skyrim. God Of War, Dark Souls praise the sun, and so on. If dude is that sensitive with religious beliefs, he shouldn't be playing any violent video games or watching any violent movies period. It's nothing more than self entitlement.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Jacanuk

The problem is, it's not about religious views or respecting someone's belief. It's about hypocrisy and the notion that being offended entitles you to some sort of recompense. It doesn't. And Valve isn't being honorable or compassionate here - they're being smart. The sad state is that if Valve handled this in any other way than they did, they'd have an army of idiots knocking on their door tomorrow.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

What does "intense violence" even mean? Is the player running around slaughtering innocent people, or is he defending himself from bad guys?MrGeezer

Okay. News to me though. I personally assumed that it'd be more like Bioshock and Bioshock 2, where you're just killing people who are trying to gun you down. It's not exactly all that implausible for someone who buys the game to not know that.

i'd say that even if he came in expecting to shoot just the people that are shooting his character (that's how i played. you don't have to shoot innocent bystanders), it's an inherent part of the genre to make the act of shooting fun. maybe there are a handful of comparable games out there that intentionally make the shooting not fun, but the number would be so small that you could hardly expect that sort of treatment of violence when picking up a shooter. it's a significant draw for the game. yeah, people play the bioshock games for the story too, but the presence of shooting has always been prominent (i haven't played bioshock 2, but you'll forgive my leap of faith in assuming that there is a lot of shooting and it's not meant to be unenjoyable).

even if he was playing games with the treatment of violence, he could have also done so with the baptism. the player character (it's a character with a voice and backstory. he is not meant to be just a shell for the player. these components are made clear even before the baptism) doesn't see the priest and shout "hallelujah!" or anything. he grumbles to himself and begrudgingly lets the priest do his work for sake of getting into the city.

it just really seems like a situation where someone came into the experience looking to be "offended."

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrGeezer

Why even have a Mature rating on games at all? Should the fake Baptism be removed to appease all religious gamers? No religious gamer had a problem with having to sell your soul in order to successfully complete the Theives Guild in Skyrim. God Of War, Dark Souls praise the sun, and so on. If dude is that sensitive with religious beliefs, he shouldn't be playing any violent video games or watching any violent movies period. It's nothing more than self entitlement.

HipHopBeats
Who said it should be removed? They simply gave one guy a refund. Didn't even cost them anything to do it. This is about as much of an outrage as a restaurant refunding someone's meal because he just didn't like it.