Regarding Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4, and other RPGs..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conman45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Conman45
Member since 2016 • 9 Posts

I am a massive fan of many genres of video games, especially RPGs. I have recently come across an issue though... After the main story, I completely lose interest in the game.

I remember playing Elder Scrolls Morrowind for hours on end, never even completing the first mission where I deliver the package to the guy in Balmora. I just played. I explored. I had immense fun. I played Oblivion until I beat the main story, then lost interest. Same with Skyrim. I explored a lot in Fallout 3 but stopped upon beating the main quest. Same with Fallout 4. I have ESO but haven't played more than 15 minutes of it.

I love RPGs and the fantasy and exploration of new worlds that comes with it, but I feel like I've lost my drive, my zest, for the new experiences after finishing the main quest. What could I do to get back to the way it used to be when I was younger? What do you guys and gals do to keep the magic alive after beating the story? Hopefully without restarting, as that is much less fun when you know where the goodies are. (Fallout 3 second play through I skipped half the story immediately by leaving the vault and going straight to Rivet City for A321s Plasma Rifle)

In conclusion, I just really need help. I love these games, and want to continue enjoying them.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

What you like about RPG may just been phased out of more current RPG.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19649 Posts

Part of the problem is that Bethesda haven't put any effort into their RPGs since Morrowind came out.

Maybe you should try The Witcher 3 and see if it changes your mind?

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

A few ideas...

Go slowly - don't rush the main questline and do as much sidequests/exploration as you feel like

play the dlc's

playing on harder levels of difficulty or survivor mode may help to spice things up and prolong the experience

playing around with mods

changing up your decisions/playstyle etc. is a good idea for another playthrough

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I agree with thereal25's advice - I also have trouble bothering with side stuff AFTER I've finished the main quest, so maybe not chugging through that at the outset will have a big impact. I also would highly recommend TW3, as well as suggest you check out other recent "traditional" RPGs such as Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity. IMO Bethesda's fantasy RPGs have steadily declined and become lighter and lighter on what made Morrowind magical. Morrowind>Oblivion>>Skyrim IMO - even though Skyrim has improved mechanics in many areas. It's so streamlined and soulless compared to its predecessors.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Part of the problem is that Bethesda haven't put any effort into their RPGs since Morrowind came out.

@xantufrog said:

Bethesda's fantasy RPGs have steadily declined

This. Stop playing Bethesda's crap and play some proper RPGs.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58914 Posts

I have a similar problem as well.

The solution, at least for me, is to keep a decent ratio of story-to-side-quest in order to extend the amount of time you spend with a game. With games such as Fallout/TES (open world action-RPGs), I tend to do a 1:4 mix of story to side quest missions, meaning that for every stage of the main story, I try to do four side missions. Sometimes I do more because a lot of the side missions for these games (The Dark Brotherhood quest line, for example, in Skyrim) are really fun and I want to see it through to the end.

But yeah, once the story is finished, I tend to consider the game finished. That was my problem with Fallout 4; the main story was over so quick, it kind of caught me off guard and I really didn't want to play any more because A.) the world is so damn ugly and depressing, B.) side quests were good, but not that good, and C.) I'd rather play Skyrim lol.

So now I am replaying Fallout 4 after letting it sit on my hard drive for a couple months, and playing lots of side quests, and having more fun this time around.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25

@bussinrounds said:
@Planeforger said:

@xantufrog said:

Bethesda's fantasy RPGs have steadily declined

This. Stop playing Bethesda's crap and play some proper RPGs.

I try that, and as much as I appreciate games such as Divinity: Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity, I need more "bang for my buck" (or rather, more satisfaction per minute) as I can't sit down for two hours and play games like I used to.

Believe me, I wish I enjoyed the games I mentioned more than I do TES/Fallout/etc, but I don't. Not any more.

Also, I consider those games more action games with RPG elements than actual RPGs (Skyrim, Fallout, etc).

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I try that, and as much as I appreciate games such as Divinity: Original Sin, and Pillars of Eternity, I need more "bang for my buck" (or rather, more satisfaction per minute) as I can't sit down for two hours and play games like I used to.

Believe me, I wish I enjoyed the games I mentioned more than I do TES/Fallout/etc, but I don't. Not any more.

Sorry to hear that. And yea, I guess RPGs aren't the best genre if you don't have much time to play.

Also, I consider those games more action games with RPG elements than actual RPGs

Agreed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@bussinrounds said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sorry to hear that. And yea, I guess RPGs aren't the best genre if you don't have much time to play.

Also, I consider those games more action games with RPG elements than actual RPGs

Agreed.

Yeah I really can't pinpoint when it happened, but I just don't the same satisfaction from the more "classic" RPGs any more :( I remember loving games like Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale and the original Fallout, and the genre is still alive and well, but I just can't any more. I know they're good games, great even, but...meh.

I blame it on adulthood :P

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#11 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@conman45: simple: don't beat the main story till you run out of fun side quests to take care of. That's what I do unless the main story is really good, like in The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I do side quests until I've well and truly forgotten the main quest even exists. By the time I get around to it, the game is the sidequests and the main quest is just an especially big one.