Redo: what is the worst sequel of all time?

#1 Posted by warmblur (2983 posts) -

Earlier I made a post between two games which was the worst sequel seems it would be better just to delete it and ask a broader question. So for you what is the worst sequel of all time??

Mine is F.E.A.R. 2 the first game is my favorite FPS of all time the the second game ruined everything. Horrible intrusive hud gimped physics, weak weapon sounds, gun models look like toys, the slow mo meter is in the center of screen and kills the immersion there's also a out of place glow effect on the enemies in slomo and the melee combat is completely nerfed and useless they also took away the lean mechanic. The new blood in the game looks awful too it looks like strawberry jam. The multiplayer was also garbage compared to the first game they didn't even bother to use a anticheat program. To me F.E.A.R. 2 is everything wrong with a sequel gimped gameplay with a horrible art direction 10 years later and I still wish for a proper F.E.A.R. sequel.

#2 Posted by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -

Still can't think of a sequel worse than Devil May Cry 2. You can just lean in the corner and spam pistols to kill everything. That's how broken it was.

Also you had such creative bosses as an evil tank, an evil helicopter. . And an evil skyscraper. Sad part is, I'm not even kidding.

#3 Edited by xantufrog (11687 posts) -

Mine is perhaps not a "sequel" per se - but the reboot of Thief is god-awful. It's made worse given the contrast with its predecessors. It's not just a bad game, but it's a huge step off a cliff for a legend in the stealth genre.

Just to give a concrete example of the moronic level of design in this game: every time you pass through a window in the hub world there's a loading screen (wow). You have to pass through windows constantly to go, like, 50 feet in the hub world (super wow). There's a place where you pass through a window headed North - and when you come out the other side the window is *facing a different direction*. What. The. Hell. Talk about immersion breaking

#4 Posted by Sevenizz (4063 posts) -

Titanfall 2. The first one was perfection and the multiplayer in the sequel took a big step back.

#5 Posted by Speeny (1960 posts) -

I'm not really all that critical when it comes to game sequels but one that comes to mind is Uncharted 2. It's not the worst game ever. I just thought it was weaker compared to the first game, 3 & 4.

#6 Posted by Lembu90 (599 posts) -

Final Fantasy XV

Dynasty Warriors 9

New Gundam Breaker

Resident Evil 6

#7 Posted by judaspete (3129 posts) -

This isn't really a bad game, but Quake 2 was a huge disappointment to me back in the day. The first game was such a big step forward from Doom, with the full 3D world, creepy dark fantasy atmosphere, and frightening enemies. Then Quake 2 ditched all that for bipedal aliens in grey industrial facilities. The game wasn't really bad, I just wasn't into it.

My real answer is Twisted Metal 3.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#8 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1696 posts) -

@judaspete said:

This isn't really a bad game, but Quake 2 was a huge disappointment to me back in the day. The first game was such a big step forward from Doom, with the full 3D world, creepy dark fantasy atmosphere, and frightening enemies. Then Quake 2 ditched all that for bipedal aliens in grey industrial facilities. The game wasn't really bad, I just wasn't into it.

To me Twisted Metal on PS3's plot is even worse than Twisted Metal 3 on PS1.

#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

RE 6 was a huge let down after 5 I might try and go back and beat it on Xbox one but I find it difficult accepting it as RE game.

#10 Posted by VFighter (5231 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Lol, I forgot about that skyscraper boss. I think. DMC2 probably gets my vote as well.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

RE 6 was a huge let down after 5 I might try and go back and beat it on Xbox one but I find it difficult accepting it as RE game.

I wouldn't go back unless you only plan in dipping into Leons campaign, Adas, and Mercenaries. The rest is pretty painful to play.

#12 Posted by Macutchi (6876 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

Mine is perhaps not a "sequel" per se - but the reboot of Thief is god-awful. It's made worse given the contrast with its predecessors. It's not just a bad game, but it's a huge step off a cliff for a legend in the stealth genre.

Just to give a concrete example of the moronic level of design in this game: every time you pass through a window in the hub world there's a loading screen (wow). You have to pass through windows constantly to go, like, 50 feet in the hub world (super wow). There's a place where you pass through a window headed North - and when you come out the other side the window is *facing a different direction*. What. The. Hell. Talk about immersion breaking

it's an absolute shocker of a game.

but far cry 2 gives it a real run for its money. it gets so many potentially great things, so spectacularly wrong that i'd give it the nod over thief. it's such a far cry from its predecessor sorry

#13 Posted by judaspete (3129 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@judaspete said:

To me Twisted Metal on PS3's plot is even worse than Twisted Metal 3 on PS1.

I have to agree with you there. TM PS3's story mode was trying so hard to be dark, it felt like a middle-schooler wrote it. At least TM3 was goofy on purpose.

#14 Posted by Byshop (19602 posts) -

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest is probably one. They tried to make a solid action platformer into a sort of Metroid-ey game with RPG elements. Bad translation and game characters who literally try to deceive you made it near impossible to beat without a guide. I confess though, I actually liked it at the time but it's not great.

Bomerman Act Zero was a gritty reboot of Bomberman of all things.

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War was a disappointingly dumbed down and simplified version of a great game. This happened to a lot of PC games when they first started developing them to run on consoles as well, which meant PS2/Xbox.

-Byshop

#15 Edited by RSM-HQ (8603 posts) -

@Macutchi: Didn't like the new Thief either, though I accept it as a spin-off and not a main entry. Same way I keep sane knowing Devil May Cry has DmC.

Was almost more disappointed that the new game was developed by the Deus Ex team that developed Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Which itself was a pretty good game, can't speak for Mankind Divided I've read its content is cut up everywhere. So my assumption is they've lost a lot of talent or are being muscled by the publisher; Square Enix.

#16 Posted by Yams1980 (3601 posts) -

Simcity 2013. Really small and weak game compared to the previous Simcity games. also the online DRM killed the game at launch. The music was well done, but everything else in the game is a smaller and meaningless scale compared to Simcity 4 and even Simcity 2000 & 3000.

I doubt its the worst game sequel of all time, but it killed the series and i guess Simcity will come back at some point but people are going to be extremely weary and careful in purchasing it... especially with EA's increasingly more terrible business practices.

I gotta take some more jabs at EA. Ultima 8 & 9 was also a god awful sequels and killed the series. And both Syndicate 2 [rts] and the weird Syndicate FPS shooter EA tried to make killed any chance of a real Syndicate game coming out. Privateer 2 was also trash compared to Privateer 1.

How about Command & Conquer 4? Yet again, EA's handywork. Killed C&C for good.

Sims 4, i must mention this. Its actually a decent game on its own, i play it off and on. But if you compare it to Sims 3, its a step back in many ways. No open world, many stripped features that were later re-added but at the cost of DLC and costly packs.

EA can't make good sequels, they either remove too much just to resell it to you later in DLC or mess it up with DRM or a million other things that people hate.

I can't remember all the EA sequel fails, i'm likely missing a ton.

#17 Posted by Jetsfan122 (122 posts) -

Dragon Age 2

#18 Posted by sakaiXx (6056 posts) -

Suikoden 4. Destroyed the beloved franchise, shame cause the follow up, Suikoden 5 was definitely the best Suikoden game ever but got poor sales because of suikoden 4 (also released when ps2 is almost dead)

#19 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

Red Fraction: Guerrilla , I hate when games change genre's. It went from a linear FPS to an open world 3rd person.

#20 Posted by Lembu90 (599 posts) -

Left Alive. I know its not released yet but it already raised the red flag. What is it? A shitty Metal Gear Solid clone/ripoff that takes place in Front Mission universe. Square-Enix already abandoned the turn-based gameplay of first five games with Evolution in 2010 and in 2019 they decided to add the human vs human shooting instead of wanzer vs wanzer battle. While most people may not find that all too bad but a Front Mission game without wanzers battling each other is akin to play a GTA game where you spent 90% of your play time on foot instead on cars.

There's no doubt that LA might do well in markets and its a Square-Enix game after all. Look at Quiet Man. It did extremely well despite being roasted by critics and consumers alike.

#21 Edited by bluemorpho1987 (5 posts) -

Dungeon siege 3, the first and second were great and gave you freedom to create your character as well as other things 3 was locked to chosen characters. was looking forward to a console version of it and 3 was very disappointing.

#22 Posted by Elvi (3 posts) -

Caddyshack 2 for sure

and Interstate 82 was garbage compared to I76. obviously.

thanks

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21589 posts) -

Thief reboot is a decent Dishonored sequel and a terrible, terrible Thief sequel.

#24 Posted by pyro1245 (5240 posts) -

Every Dragon Age sequel

Especially Inquisition because they just gave up and made a boring open world action game.

#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (34932 posts) -

For me, much like the OP, it's Fear 2.

The original Fear, aside from repetitive environments was an astounding action/horror game, and to this day arguably still has the finest fire-fights in an FPS. Sure, the spooky girl trope gets repetitive but the has a good story wrapped around it.

Then we come to Fear 2. An Xbox focused reboot that seems to have 0 idea what made the first game good. Medicare shooting, ugly aesthetics, the spooky girl trope now it's only party trick run into the round. Side characters straight that might as well be cardboard boxes. None of the originals atmosphere. A chore to play. I've finished Fear multiple times, and will no doubt play again. I could never finish this. Just a whole load of mediocre.

Instead of becoming a premier IP, it's wandered off into obscurity. Continuing in the form Chinese free2play games and a third game that bears no resemblance.,

It could have been a contender, it could have been someone.