Red Dead 2... ummmmm

#1 Posted by jay1318 (33 posts) -

SO i'm about 10 hours into this game and still asking the questions - where's the fun? So far i've ridden the damn horse back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Then I have to brush the horse. Then I have to feed the horse, Then I have to pet the horse. Then I feed me. Feed some others, and a few dozen other chores. I think there's been 3 shootouts so far. All the "busy" work is nothing more than a pain in the arse. The game is much more a cowboy/horse riding simulator/RPG than any kind of action game.

#2 Posted by neatfeatguy (4229 posts) -

@jay1318: Did you ever play the first one?

I didn't like it. It felt like a poor, reskinned GTA3 that used horses instead of cars. So it kind of surprised me when so many others enjoyed it. I put 12-15 hours into and tried really hard to play it, but it was boring as hell.

Don't feel bad if you don't enjoy a game, not all games are meant for everyone.

#3 Posted by Todddow (907 posts) -

I agree. I'm was a HUGE fan of RDR1, but RDR2 is just boring. I'm probably 15 hours or so in, and I just don't want to play it anymore.

#4 Posted by jay1318 (33 posts) -

@neatfeatguy: I played about 50% of the first one years ago and wound up bailing for much of the same reasons. I REALLY wanted/want to like both games. I'm just not finding the real "fun" in the game. I finished a mission where I beat up a guy in a bar. Then it said "mission complete". THAT was a mission!? Then I played some poker and then found a game of dominoes. But really, if I wanted poker or dominoes i'd find a dumb app on my phone. And those damned horses. After this game i'm done with riding horses for a while.

#5 Posted by robert_sparkes (1997 posts) -

I felt the game succeeded as a prequel better than I expected due to the story telling.

#6 Posted by rmiller365 (741 posts) -

I'm on chapter 3 and I've kinda lost interest in it. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but I never beat GTA5 either. Those games are massive and have so much to do but I don't care about menial tasks in game that don't add anything to the game but artificial padding.

While they are neat, I find myself thinking I could be leveling up faster or upgrading weapons or armor in another game instead of walking bales of hay or chopping wood in camp. I also get tired of traveling everywhere over and over. The game is gorgeous but you can spend 45 min just pressing a button to accelerate your horse to get from point A to point B, then back to point A again.

#7 Edited by Ezekiel43 (904 posts) -
@rmiller365 said:

I'm on chapter 3 and I've kinda lost interest in it. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but I never beat GTA5 either. Those games are massive and have so much to do but I don't care about menial tasks in game that don't add anything to the game but artificial padding.

While they are neat, I find myself thinking I could be leveling up faster or upgrading weapons or armor in another game instead of walking bales of hay or chopping wood in camp. I also get tired of traveling everywhere over and over. The game is gorgeous but you can spend 45 min just pressing a button to accelerate your horse to get from point A to point B, then back to point A again.

That's why I want another linear action game from Rockstar. I'm playing Bully and that too is far too long and tedious. I can't believe there are still two whole chapters. When they make a linear game, the encounters are more exciting and the core mechanics of a higher quality, because it's not trying (and failing) to do so many different things.

#8 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42738 posts) -

Some games try to go a little too much into the whole "living world" bit and incorporate a lot of things into games that, frankly, we don't want to do. I play games either to divert from or reward myself for doing chores and other real-world stuff, not so I can do those same things in a game.

I haven't played RDR 2 and while it sounds like a decent game, I imagine this is why a lot of people also seem to dislike it.

#9 Posted by Solaryellow (4552 posts) -

@jay1318 said:

SO i'm about 10 hours into this game and still asking the questions - where's the fun? So far i've ridden the damn horse back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Then I have to brush the horse. Then I have to feed the horse, Then I have to pet the horse. Then I feed me. Feed some others, and a few dozen other chores. I think there's been 3 shootouts so far. All the "busy" work is nothing more than a pain in the arse. The game is much more a cowboy/horse riding simulator/RPG than any kind of action game.

Once you are able to fast travel it loses some of its tediousness.

#10 Posted by The-A-Baum (1224 posts) -

It picks way up in chapter 4.

#11 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18114 posts) -

There are definitely parts of the game that can get a bit boring & repetitive (try and unlock fast travel if you can - look up a guide how to do it. And also use the stage coach if you're sick of riding).

But the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the negatives with this game imo. It has one of the best stories, & the most interesting characters in a game I've played since probably Witcher 3. It's incredible. And the world is so dynamic and engaging (even though sometimes you get sick of riding the horse).

But the early parts of the game are very slow paced. I nearly gave up on finishing it at the start too. But I pushed through and it ended up being my GOTY.

#12 Posted by Longsnout (151 posts) -

So I hate to say "it gets better" about games but that's the case with RDR2. The early parts of the game (and it's a long ass game) are a drag because of all the busywork and tutorializing and rigid set pieces but once the world opens up you're pretty much your own man and the story/characters are delightful.

#13 Posted by Shmiity (6170 posts) -

I thought RDR2 was boring as hell and it plays like shit. I put it down to play Vampyr lol

#14 Posted by SoNin360 (6994 posts) -

I'm in a similar position right now, if but not as strong in my feelings toward the game. I'm only near the end of Chapter 2, but I haven't felt compelled to play the game for the last few days or so. Seems like I can only take playing the game for 1 session in a given day for about 2-3 hours before I want to be done with it for the day. I like to think it'll get a lot better and that I'll enjoy it at least as much as I did the previous game. On that note, I didn't have great first impressions of Red Dead Redemption either. Hell, I started it and then put it away for 3 months before picking it up again. But something definitely clicked with that game after giving it another go, so hopefully I'll hit that point with RDR2.

My problem right now is how slow everything feels. Almost everything seems unnecessarily time consuming. Being in my camp is so annoying since you can't even run within a pretty decent sized area. It feels like there's a lot to do and the game seems to keep explaining new things to me, but it seems pointless to try to keep track of it all.

Anyway, still way too early in the game to have any final opinions of the game. But thus far I can see where some of the negativity is coming from.

#15 Posted by Macutchi (6472 posts) -
@jay1318 said:

i quite liked micro managing initially but as the game went on my management dwindled down to doing things just out of necessity.

arthur low on energy? sleep and feed him. dead eye low in a firefight? smoke some cigarettes. been witnessed breaking the law? change clothes (and get a hair cut). horse stamina low? give it a brush or run it through a river. new horse and you don't have all the horse movement tricks or it bucks when near danger? brush or feed it to bond with it.

those kind of things take seconds to do and add to the authenticity (although not entirely sure why a dirty horse has less stamina than a clean one, but i'm no equine expert) or are analogous mechanics to consuming a health pack or power up in other games.

but with regards to your comment, everything is optional. you don't get penalised for not sleeping, eating or any other "busy work." you may not be able to max out your cores without sleeping and eating but you really don't need to and can play the game perfectly well without those things. that way the game is what you make of it - want a cowboy simulator? engage with all the micro management, go hunting, drinking, gambling and live like a cowboy. want an action / exploration game - then don't engage. if neither of those approaches offer you entertainment then maybe it's not a game for you

#16 Posted by sukraj (27846 posts) -

im on chapter 1 and im having a blast

#17 Edited by warmblur (1284 posts) -

It grew on me that's for sure it took awhile though it's a amazing game but for me GTAV is still Rockstar's best game. I really don't consider RDR2 fun it's more about the experience in my opinion.

#18 Posted by goodzorr (430 posts) -

I'm on Chapter 6 now and must admit I'm looking for the end. I have no interest in finding animal pelts and the like, or playing dominoes or poker. I do the bare minimum in terms of 'upkeep' as well. However, the main missions are still very engaging, and seeing Dutch evolve is great.

#19 Posted by RSM-HQ (7630 posts) -
@warmblur said:

I really don't consider RDR2 fun it's more about the experience in my opinion.

What does this even mean. . . anyone?

#20 Posted by GNS (259 posts) -

@ezekiel43: Bully is long and tedious? Funny, it's the only game from Rockstar, which I've finished from A to Z, cause it was linear and short compared to GTA franchise.

#21 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4566 posts) -

@Solaryellow: Yes, you are right, fast travel via stagecoach and train. Along with engaging theatrical mode after plotting a course. Theatrical mode doesn't make things faster, but it does require less concentration and less button tapping. Very useful.

#23 Posted by jay1318 (33 posts) -

Well i've read everyone's responses and I really appreciate the feedback. I've stuck with the game for about an hour each night. I'm nearing the end of chapter 2 and have done quite a few "side missions". I have to say, I agree with @warmblur, the game is more of an experience than actual fun. Now, that's not such a bad thing and the words are subjective. It's also easy to find myself, at 1am (in real life) and can't believe the time has passed and I need to get to bed. I also purchased the official guide book (yeah i'm old school with liking having a book).

I consider GTA5 the best video game of all time (and i've been playing games since the late 70's). RDR2 is certainly no GTA5, and really - it can't be with the limitations of the time period it's set in. That said, Rockstar has indeed created a helluva world. I plan on sticking with it for the time being. Things are picking up a bit and the story and acting are excellent. I wish there was more "fun" factor, but again, i'm digging it.

#24 Edited by guerilla-man (13 posts) -

@jay1318: there is crap loads of more things you can do with your horse then just that.

Example: save up your money and sell as much crap as you can and modify your horse.

Give it herbs and veggies.

That is a strong way of bonding with your horse.

#25 Posted by elkoldo (1824 posts) -

Brothers it's probably a 100 hour game, don't be quick to judge.'

That said, the movement controls, checkpoints and most of the surprise gun fights are super annoying. Some story events and missions also defy common sense (like one man standing against an entire army, or invading and mascaraing a family living in the woods, for a humble $100.)

It was a good game but not great.

#26 Posted by ApplauseSurvey (12 posts) -

Hey guys Applause is doing a research project that pays $10/month for being a part of it. If you want more information, email me at futuresanka@gmail.com and I will shoot you the info. Thanks!

#27 Edited by Tennisthor (22 posts) -

It was a weird cowboy slice of life idea with a terribly conceived theory of shooting mechanics. Real firearms aren't nearly as difficult to aim as this game makes it. One note, auto aim bows are incredibly accurate and far easier in this game than in real life. Crutch the auto aim hard was the strong recommendation I felt was being force fed here. It left a bad taste and it was returned asap.

There were a lot of positives too, but none that we're unique to this game to warrant keeping it.

#28 Posted by with_teeth26 (9161 posts) -

I loved all the menial stuff in the game, like riding your horse around, hunting, eating, grooming Arthur and his horse etc. But I love when games do that in general - dating back to Mafia 1 which made you follow traffic laws when you drove around, or more recently in Kingdom Come Deliverance which wants you to eat, sleep, and even clean your clothes and wash yourself.

I'm all about immersion and games that take those extra steps to really put you in the shoes of a character end up being my favourite games.

the only aspect of RDR2 I found a bit tedious were the endless shootouts in the second half of the game - the combat doesn't evolve much and the cover shooting is pretty average and I found it tedious and over-used.

I do agree that its more of an experience than a traditionally fun video game. This style of game is right up my alley, but I fully understand why others might find it boring/not fun. to each their own.

#29 Posted by Tennisthor (22 posts) -

@with_teeth26: Completely agree with you on gamer taste. I'd still rate it a solid 9/10 despite my personal enjoyment was a 2.