Recommend a Good RPG on DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I need a good RPG on the DS to keep my attention for a while. I just picked up Final Fantasy III, but I'm really turned off by the sheer cutesiness of everything. Anything you guys could recommend that's not so "cutesy" looking?

And I already have Chrono Trigger.

SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

Radiant Historia.

Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

The World Ends With You.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Radiant Historia if you can find a copy that isn't pricey,

The World Ends With You is awesome and so is Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.

Then there is Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver. Plus plenty of Dragon Quest games.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Emerald_Warrior

As soon as I looked up Radiant Historia and read what it was all about, that was my decision. It sounds like the storyline is right up my alley with time travel and alternate timelines. Just got back from GameStop with it! Thanks guys! :D

This will also be my first Atlus RPG.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I know you already picked up Radiant Historia but if end up looking for any more: Dragon Quest IV-VI, IX Etrian Odyssey I-III Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivior 1 and 2 Shin Megami Tensei: Stranger Journey Lunar Knights is great if you ever look for an action RPG. Solatorobo and Custom Robo are pretty good as well. Also the Rune Factory games if you like Harvest Moon.
dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#8 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Mario & Luigi Series

Dragon Quest IX

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

You can't go wrong with Pokemon :p

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emerald_Warrior

Shenmue_Jehuty

I was a little too old for that craze. I was already well into high school when the originals came out. Searching for hundreds of cutesy animal-thingies is not exactly my cup of tea.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Emerald_Warrior

I was a little too old for that craze. I was already well into high school when the originals came out. Searching for hundreds of cutesy animal-thingies is not exactly my cup of tea.

haha fair enough :p. It came out in NA when I was in 6th grade and I've loved it ever since!

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#12 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Dragon Quest IV-VI, IX Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivior 1 and 2

^These.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Seabas989

As soon as I looked up Radiant Historia and read what it was all about, that was my decision. It sounds like the storyline is right up my alley with time travel and alternate timelines. Just got back from GameStop with it! Thanks guys! :D

Emerald_Warrior

For how much?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Seabas989

For how much?

$26.99 was the listed price. With my discount, it was $24.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Seabas989

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Emerald_Warrior

For how much?

$26.99 was the listed price. With my discount, it was $24.

Sweet. Maybe one of my local Gamestops have it available.

Avatar image for WastelandArcher
WastelandArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 WastelandArcher
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts
Radiant Historia is going to be reprinted in 2013, I think early spring if I recall correctly, so if you can hold out I'm sure it will be a 29.99 title at most places. I recommend Etrian Odyssey 3 if you can find a copy for less than 30. I got mine on Ebay. Otherwise Devil Survivor is pretty amazing too.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

Radiant Historia is going to be reprinted in 2013, I think early spring if I recall correctly, so if you can hold out I'm sure it will be a 29.99 title at most places. I recommend Etrian Odyssey 3 if you can find a copy for less than 30. I got mine on Ebay. Otherwise Devil Survivor is pretty amazing too.WastelandArcher

It was only $26.99, now.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Dragon Quest IV-VI, IX Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivior 1 and 2 Dudersaper
^These.

i actually hated devil survivor 1 really.. really hated it

valkyrie profile: covenant of the plume is a solid rpg title with good elements in every corner you look though it has some redundant design choices.its also got a KILLER intro simply put one of the best intro's on the DS

okami den is a solid action/rpg title with all the basics down. i do recommend getting a 3ds or minimum a dsi before purchase due to the drain on your battery b/c its 3d engine is system taxing and on those systems the battery would go longer due to a superior graphics chip and/or superior battery

legend of zelda: phantom hourglass its zelda nuff said

Avatar image for WastelandArcher
WastelandArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WastelandArcher
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts
It was only $26.99, nowEmerald_Warrior
Even better.

Wow, any particular reasons?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]It was only $26.99, nowWastelandArcher
Even better.

Wow, any particular reasons?

well for one its tory was bone dry filled with predictable plot plot maneuvers and the audio was alot less than what can be expected from the DS. the audio chip in the DS and the 3ds is actually rather powerful yet it keeps getting sold short and that game was no different.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Seabas989

Radiant Historia is going to be reprinted in 2013, I think early spring if I recall correctly, so if you can hold out I'm sure it will be a 29.99 title at most places. I recommend Etrian Odyssey 3 if you can find a copy for less than 30. I got mine on Ebay. Otherwise Devil Survivor is pretty amazing too.WastelandArcher

I didn't know that. You have a link?

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

If you want something almost identical to FF3's mechanics but with a more vibrant setting and lively story, Nostalgia isn't that bad. I quit on it a few hours in because I never had time for it after awhile. But it was better than the FF game no doubt.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

The first of many you will play afterwards, I assure you. :P

One does not simply play only "one" Atlus game.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#24 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Check out 999 if you haven't played it yet. It is not a standard RPG at all but I enjoyed it on sort of the same level as a console RPG, which is to say the story is extremely central to enjoying it. There's no character customization or anything like that but many different endings and it would be pretty much impossible to make a game that's less cutesy.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

RPGs for the DS.....well......where the heck to start lol

TWEWY

Final Fantasy 4

Final Fantasy Revenant Wings (Although its more of an RTS/RPG cross)

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicle games

Disgaea

Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story

Golden Sun

Radiant Historia

Dragon Quest

Shin Megami Tensei

Children of Mana

Heroes of Mana

Kingdom Hearts

I mean the amount of RPGs on the DS is staggering.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Dragon Quest IX (could be described as cute, but a very deep, complex RPG for the core gamer)

Dragon Quest VI (HUGE game, lots of customization available, not very "cute")

Dragon Quest V (Smaller than VI, more story driven, much less to do)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Very cool monster hunting game)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#27 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My RPG collection thus far on DS...

Sonic Chronicles- Decent and worth checking out if you're curious

Chrono Trigger- CIassic

Final Fantasy III- Really tough but worth it if you like old schoolness

FFIV- Great game, good length. Pretty challenging too.

Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light- Haven't beaten but it's good so far. Encounters aren't too frequent and the Crown system makes for highly customizeable party. Although it has the same "cutesy" art styIe as FF3. (Or at least very similar.)

Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime- More of a Zelda Dragon Quest hybrid but still fun if you can't get enough Slimes. However since TC said he was turned off by cuteness, he might not like this game. It's aimed at a younger crowd.

Dragon Quest V- Good old school RPG. A nice emotional story helps and so does the Monster Recruitment system. There are decent post game activities such as various mini games and a really tough "true" final boss.

Dragon Quest VI- My personal favorite aside from IX. Awesome job system that doesn't penalize you for switching and a very long (took me fifty hours) main story. After thatyou can work on recruiting new party members like the various types of slimes (including a Liquid Metal slime) and working on levelling up and completing job mastery for the uber tough "true" final boss.

Dragon Quest IX- Amazing game. Nice, fun main story and loaded with great JRPG content. 184 Quests to complete (with Wi Fi connection but they're free and free is always nice) and infinite random dungeons, plus a cool job system to dink around with. Highly recommended if you love JRPG's and want to get the most bang for your buck as possible. I have more than 120 hous logged into it and I am nowhere near done with the game.

Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside story- Hilarious game, very well written. Plus the battle system is great fun. Should last you a decent amount of time. (Around 30 hours.)

Pokemon- D/P/Pl, HG/SS, B/W Take your pick. It's Pokemon, you know it's good. Favorites are tied between Heartgold and White versions. Heartgold and Soulsilver are great remakes, though. Definitely worth playing if you loved the originals.

Knights in the Nightmare- More of an SRPG than pure RPG, it combines various genres to make something truly unique. On top of that it has great art direction, a great score and an amazing story.

Radiant Historia- a much mroe mature and innovative RPG than many other games you've played. Great battle system, graphics, story and music. Took me 50 hours to complete everything in it, but it has inherent replay value since you can pretty much replay any part of the game at any time you want.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#28 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

MLBknights58

The first of many you will play afterwards, I assure you. :P

One does not simply play only "one" Atlus game.

Emerald, if you like Radiant Historia (which any RPG lover in their right mind would) check out the Dept. Heaven games. Not made by Atlus, but published by them. They're all very unique in their play mechanics and at least one of them is amazing. (Reason I say that is I have yet to play/ beat the others.) The games I'm reffering to are Riviera: The Promised Land (might be considered cute due to it's overly anime- ish art styIe), Yggdra Union (not even sure if I spelled that right, but, again, very anime) and Knights in the Nightmare. (Anime but the game is incredibly dark... It's not very cute at all.) BTW Riviera and Yggdra are on GBA and KitN is on DS.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

So, I'm not sure I like Radiant Historia. I like the gameplay, and the battle-system. But therein lies the problem for me, there's just not enough gameplay. I seem to spend faaaaarrrr more time reading line after line of dialogue from over-talkative characters. Granted it's an RPG and I should expect that; but it seems to be a LOT of useless babble.

The battles and level-up system seem to be a tad too easy, too. I seem to be taking out enemies with ease, and leveling-up very quickly. I haven't run into an enemy that's made me sweat, yet.

And so far the story is not really "hooking" me. It seems to be steeped in military tactics and style.

I'm hoping it gets better, but if this what I have to expect for the rest of the game, I'm thinking I might trade it when I'm done with it.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

So, I'm not sure I like Radiant Historia. I like the gameplay, and the battle-system. But therein lies the problem for me, there's just not enough gameplay. I seem to spend faaaaarrrr more time reading line after line of dialogue from over-talkative characters. Granted it's an RPG and I should expect that; but it seems to be a LOT of useless babble.

The battles and level-up system seem to be a tad too easy, too. I seem to be taking out enemies with ease, and leveling-up very quickly. I haven't run into an enemy that's made me sweat, yet.

And so far the story is not really "hooking" me. It seems to be steeped in military tactics and style.

I'm hoping it gets better, but if this what I have to expect for the rest of the game, I'm thinking I might trade it when I'm done with it.

Emerald_Warrior

It's classic Atlus. Difficulty will spike any minute now. Judging from what you're saying, I myself would've ditched it already. Story IS the RPG. Not into games purely for gameplay anymore (sports excluded).

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story.