Recently purchased a VR kit - Sharing of opinions.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

User Lists: 0

#1 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

So, against all reason, i took the plunge and shoveled a thousand bucks into a furnace : I purchased a complete VR kit!

Humor aside, i was one staunchly against VR, as it was taunted as "The future of gaming". I took a chance and can confirm that, while a lot of fun, it absolutely is NOT the future of gaming, at least, not for another multiple generations of it.

I had to choose between getting a VIVE kit for my recently purchased PC, and getting a PS Pro with the complete accessory kit for PSVR.

I went with the latter, because even tough that set me back a few hundreds bucks, it gave me a chance to play some of Sony's first party titles. No regret on that part, so far.

The honeymoon period was incredible. Being able to freely move inside of games and interact in multiple ways simply by naturally emulating movements is a treat i will never get tired of.

This being said, aside from a few games, such as Borderlands 2 VR, Skyrim VR which are full-fledged games, post-adapted for VR, the available library of games is limited, both in scope and content.

Sony's hardware being based on a camera, relying on colored lights to detect input, limits movements accuracy. This, of course, means everything works well at specific times of day, or if you are able to install and play everything in an area where lighting can be controlled.

I have also had a few friends come over and try the dozen or so games i have purchased in the weeks following. The general consensus is that it is very fun, but not currently worth the price of admission.

Most where impressed with the freedom of movement, but most where turned off by the sacrifice in resolution necessary to keep the games at a proper frame rate.

I have also invested in extra peripherals, such as the VR Aim Controller. It is ridiculously fun, but unfortunately supported by less than 1% of the current PSVR games library.

I have had little issues with the hardware, aside from a few situations such as when i tried to align the two move controllers to hold a rifle with two hands. The aligning of the lights on each controller made the game go crazy. This made it impossible to play a big portion of that game's content.

Overall, i am happy with my purchase, and put in a few hours of play every week. As mentioned earlier in this review, i don't think this will take the place of a regular TV / Gamepad setup, but i can see it becoming a forking of gaming in general, as it carries experiences not available anywhere else.

Anyway, thanks for reading this wall of text, and feel free to share your own experiences!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@lucidique said:

So, against all reason, i took the plunge and shoveled a thousand bucks into a furnace : I purchased a complete VR kit!

Humor aside, i was one staunchly against VR, as it was taunted as "The future of gaming". I took a chance and can confirm that, while a lot of fun, it absolutely is NOT the future of gaming, at least, not for another multiple generations of it.

I had to choose between getting a VIVE kit for my recently purchased PC, and getting a PS Pro with the complete accessory kit for PSVR.

I went with the latter, because even tough that set me back a few hundreds bucks, it gave me a chance to play some of Sony's first party titles. No regret on that part, so far.

The honeymoon period was incredible. Being able to freely move inside of games and interact in multiple ways simply by naturally emulating movements is a treat i will never get tired of.

This being said, aside from a few games, such as Borderlands 2 VR, Skyrim VR which are full-fledged games, post-adapted for VR, the available library of games is limited, both in scope and content.

Sony's hardware being based on a camera, relying on colored lights to detect input, limits movements accuracy. This, of course, means everything works well at specific times of day, or if you are able to install and play everything in an area where lighting can be controlled.

I have also had a few friends come over and try the dozen or so games i have purchased in the weeks following. The general consensus is that it is very fun, but not currently worth the price of admission.

Most where impressed with the freedom of movement, but most where turned off by the sacrifice in resolution necessary to keep the games at a proper frame rate.

I have also invested in extra peripherals, such as the VR Aim Controller. It is ridiculously fun, but unfortunately supported by less than 1% of the current PSVR games library.

I have had little issues with the hardware, aside from a few situations such as when i tried to align the two move controllers to hold a rifle with two hands. The aligning of the lights on each controller made the game go crazy. This made it impossible to play a big portion of that game's content.

Overall, i am happy with my purchase, and put in a few hours of play every week. As mentioned earlier in this review, i don't think this will take the place of a regular TV / Gamepad setup, but i can see it becoming a forking of gaming in general, as it carries experiences not available anywhere else.

Anyway, thanks for reading this wall of text, and feel free to share your own experiences!

It's always cool to hear someone's first VR experience glad you enjoyed it. I got a Oculus Rift back in 2016 I had some of the most amazing experiences not only playing new titles but more of old ones using a third party VR driver. The first game I ever beat in VR was the original Mirror's Edge it was mind blowing to see that game in VR I love the atmosphere in that game so it was a dream come true to play one of my favorite games in VR just starring at objects in the game was so mind blowing. I have to admit I haven't used my Oculus since last year what I'm really waiting for is the next gen VR headsets I want higher resolutions and no screen door effect and alot of other things. Even though I haven't used my Oculus in a long time I still had so many awesome experiences one of my favorites was this arcade room where you can play emulated games it was like going back to the 90's here's some screenshots I took of it the program or game is called Retro arcade neon and yes all the games work it's really sweet for old bastards like me that experience the arcade scene the nostalgic level this gave me was a 10.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

I am loving VR despite me getting over the initial "honeymoon phase" as you said.

I hope developers, both of software and hardware, keep chipping away at its shortcomings and end up taking it to the next level instead of letting it fade away.

Obviously there are not a huge amount of games, and those made so far suffer from some serious issues, but I will say that VR offers the most immersive experience you can have in a game. There is something majestic about flying around space in Elite: Dangerous with my VR headset and HOTAS setup, popping out of FTL in a binary star system, cruising around canyons on a moon or planet, and just zooming around. Likewise, flying a hyper-realistic depiction of an A-10 attack plane or a Su-33 fighter in DCS World is simply a unique and amazing experience; being able to turn your head and track your targets just like you normally would if you were flying the plane in real life is simply incredible.

@lucidique said:

Hmmm, that's too bad. I think you probably would have had more fun if you got a VIVE or Oculus for your PC, but to each their own.

Not sure if it's on PS4 but I highly recommend House of the Dying Sun, Robo Recall, and Superhot VR.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

"while a lot of fun, it absolutely is NOT the future of gaming, at least, not for another multiple generations of it"

'Multiple generations' imply future of gaming, no? So you're essentially disagreeing and agreeing at the same time, lol. I too am of the same opinion, that VR as it is now, is not a substitute for regular flat screen gaming. But once they lose the wires, the headsets get lighter and easier to put on, and the tracking improves, absolutely I'm going to prefer VR to flatscreen gaming any day.