Recent/upcoming open world/free roam/sandbox games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3psroam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By 3psroam
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm looking to compile more recent or upcoming open world/free roam/sandbox games to kill my urge. State of Decay was disappointing. I game on PC. The list:

- Watch Dogs

- GTA 5 (fingers crossed)

- Arkham Knight

- The Division

Any recommends or ones you look forward to?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed IV

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

I'm really, really hoping that we'll see an announcement for Fallout 4 at E3 next month.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@Archangel3371 said:

I'm really, really hoping that we'll see an announcement for Fallout 4 at E3 next month.

i doubt it, but it's time for one though

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Well the timing certainly feels right given how they alternate between Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Skyrim came out in 2011 so I'm sure they must have been working on something since then.

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Well the timing certainly feels right given how they alternate between Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Skyrim came out in 2011 so I'm sure they must have been working on something since then.

Indeed. Announce now, show a short trailer, set Summer/Fall 2015 release window. I don't remember what Bethesda's previous history is for announcements, though.

Also, Witcher 3 is coming out early next year, so that's a pretty big one to watch.

Dragon Age Inquisition will be out later this year.

Borderlands Pre-Sequel is open world-ish, coming this Fall.

The Forest is a 1st person survival horror game coming out May 22nd and looks like it might be pretty awesome.

The new Forza Horizon(I know this is console OP, but still worth mentioning for others) should be out later this year/early next year.

The Crew, another open-world driving game, this one *will* be on PC.

Risen 3, for more open world pirate action.

Destiny will be open-worldish, again, console-only.

Metal Gear Solid V, console only(for now).

X, for the Wii U.

Dying Light, open world zombie game.

Sunset Overdrive, for Xbox One.

Assassin's Creed Unity, whenever that comes out.

Starbound, which is Terraria set in space and on multiple planets.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 3

Mad Max

Sunset Overdrive

Fable Legends

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@Archangel3371 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

true, but they are also working on Doom 4 and other projects

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Come to think of it, where would gaming be without Bethesda?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Last_Ride

@thereal25 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

It would be fine...

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thereal25

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thereal25 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

It would be fine...

Um, dude, seriously...

fallout franchise (this is big)

elder scrolls series (also popular)

Wolfenstein the new order

and Doom 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

@thereal25: Last of Us, Half Life, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Gears of War, Unreal, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, GTA, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, FIFA, Hitman, Need for Speed, Tetris, Command and Conquer, Far Cry, Baldurs Gate, etc. They all happend. The industry would have been fine...

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thereal25

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thereal25: Last of Us, Half Life, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Gears of War, Unreal, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, GTA, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, FIFA, Hitman, Need for Speed, Tetris, Command and Conquer, Far Cry, Baldurs Gate, etc. They all happend. The industry would have been fine...

In terms of what I'm really excited about - it seems that Bethesda is pretty much running the show right now.

And although you've mentioned some decent games in that list, many of them (in my opinion) are either designed for kids, too old, or just downright boring.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@thereal25 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

In terms of what I'm really excited about - it seems that Bethesda is pretty much running the show right now.

And although you've mentioned some decent games in that list, many of them (in my opinion) are either designed for kids, too old, or just downright boring.

That is your opinion, but saying Bethesda is running the show is wrong.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
@thereal25 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thereal25 said:

It would be fine...

Um, dude, seriously...

Yeahhh.... Excluding Elder Scrolls, all those franchises still would've existed and left their mark because they were all created by different companies and were tons more influential at the time. Bethesda just came in much later to publish the newer iterations, if they weren't there then we probably would've had a wildly different Fallout 3, Wolfenstein game and so on (or not at all). Overall a great company -absolutely love Elder Scrolls (well, Oblivion and all before that anyway) - but apart from Morrowind, they're not THAT big of a game changer really. You're giving them way too much credit.

Anyway, did you try the Breakdown expansion of State of Decay? I personally disliked how the main game was only one big story mode, but the addition of a nicely fleshed out sandbox mode in the expansion completely changed it for me, its craptons of fun actually being left to your own devices and trying to survive, actually got myself into scenarios ten times more hectic than what I did in the story. Highly recommended if you want to give the game a second chance.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I am somewhat curious about watch dogs but all my real excitement is saved up for the phantom pain.

toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Don't know about you but I'm waiting on a GTA for PS4.. Could be a while to get GTA 5 or even a new one made, but definitely want it to happen.

Watch Dogs is on my list too :)

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thereal25

@koospetoors said:
@thereal25 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thereal25 said:

It would be fine...

Um, dude, seriously...

Yeahhh.... Excluding Elder Scrolls, all those franchises still would've existed and left their mark because they were all created by different companies and were tons more influential at the time. Bethesda just came in much later to publish the newer iterations, if they weren't there then we probably would've had a wildly different Fallout 3, Wolfenstein game and so on (or not at all). Overall a great company -absolutely love Elder Scrolls (well, Oblivion and all before that anyway) - but apart from Morrowind, they're not THAT big of a game changer really. You're giving them way too much credit.

Anyway, did you try the Breakdown expansion of State of Decay? I personally disliked how the main game was only one big story mode, but the addition of a nicely fleshed out sandbox mode in the expansion completely changed it for me, its craptons of fun actually being left to your own devices and trying to survive, actually got myself into scenarios ten times more hectic than what I did in the story. Highly recommended if you want to give the game a second chance.

I really liked what Bethesda did with fallout 3. They brought it from a rather old fashioned top-down view world into a pretty amazing 3d world. I didn't even bother to play the first two fallout games because they seem to old school for my taste - but fallout 3 was so exceptional that I had to pick it up and try it out.

So they're obviously a big company with a lot of talent and resources.

Furthermore, despite a few obvious improvements (like weapon mods), Obsidian's fallout new vegas really wasn't that impressive imo, so I'm really glad Bethesda's got the reins for the next fallout game.

And some of their other future projects look pretty darn awesome too if I may say so!