brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

So I got my son hooked on Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare on ps4 and would like to introduce him to the fps genre.

He is nagging on my that all his friends are allowed to play mature games but Im not going to let him play those kind of games quite yet since he is only 10 years old.

On the other hand I dont want him to feel left out and I'd like him to have some cool games to play with his friends.

Can you reccomend me some good online fps games for PS4 or PC (quite old PC though, c2d e8400 and Radeon hd5850, 4gb ram) that are suitable for a kid.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20374 Posts

That's debatable. I don't know that any FPS would play in my household with either of my sons once they get to that age, but I would argue that in the FPS genre the more "cartooney" type games like Gotham City Imposters are a bit more kid friendly than the hyper-realistic COD games or the more violent/gory type Quake types. It really depends on where you draw the line. If blood is the issue, then something like Tribes Ascend is a very cool skill based FPS game. If it's more about the weapon violence, then something more "ridiculous" like Gotham City Imposters is probably better.

However, one thing that affects -all- these games is online interaction in general. One thing that I would be worried about is the constant stream of racism, misogyny, etc that you get over chat in nearly any online game. That actually would concern me more than the content of the game itself in many FPS titles.

-Byshop

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

Well I haven't thought about the social interactions but I don't find them to be a problem since my son don't understand English and plays without a mic.

I don't mind some mild violence cell like blood but it can't be too much gore either.

I think something like Destiny is OK. Something like wolfenstein is not

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20374 Posts

Ah, that helps. Gotham City Impostors is fun and F2P on Steam. Tribes Ascend is pretty good and non-gorey plus it has a wide skill level range. There are others, but FPS isn't my preferred genre so I'll defer to others.

-Byshop

xxbioghostxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 xxbioghostxx
Member since 2014 • 37 Posts

Team Fortress 2 hands down

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I was going to recommend PVZ Garden Warefare as its probably the best kid friendly online shooter but you already have it so you could try Team Fortress 2 on PC its free with tons of content and a great game to boot.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PurpleMan5000  Online
Member since 2011 • 10368 Posts

Splatoon comes out pretty soon. Doesn't even have chat, so your kid's ears should be safe.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Splatoon comes out pretty soon. Doesn't even have chat, so your kid's ears should be safe.

Its WiiU Exclusive though.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PurpleMan5000  Online
Member since 2011 • 10368 Posts

@DJ_Headshot said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Its WiiU Exclusive though.

Oh, didn't catch the "PS4 or PC". There isn't much if you aren't comfortable with your 10 year old killing people in a video game.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

This is why I don't have kids: on one hand I wouldn't want them to play with anything M rated before they are old enough to process it, on the other the peer pressure at school would be crazy and I'd have to cave in or risk passing for a jerk. Quite the conundrum.

VolksDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VolksDK
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Team Fortress 2 is a great FPS, there's practically no real violence. The community can be quite toxic depending on the server, though.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14285 Posts

None, don't let your kid be playing online FPS's. There's enough children playing COD as it is. lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Team Fortress 2.

You really don't have many options.

knomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 knomicon
Member since 2014 • 32 Posts

Perhaps the one Mech game..that I can't freakin remember the name.......oh thats right! Hawken!!!!