Reason why console gamers jumping to pc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

1. 8+ years generation life cycle = aging hardware holding back games

2. 8+ years generation life cycle = releasing outdated next gen by the time it's released

3. 8+ years generation life cycle = the need for half step to keep customers satisfied while waiting

MS and Sony stop waiting so dam long. 6 years should be max.

Hybrid/portability might be another way to earn PC gamers. As many PC gamers often say "switch + PC ftw"

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@pcvirginrace:

8 years is the perfect waiting period. All I care about is that there's nothing driving me to pc only any time soon. I could care less how strong they are compared to pc.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pcvirginrace

@nepu7supastar7: put it this way. If ps4 and Xbox one came out in 2011 or 12, even though slightly weaker by a hair, it would be ok because we would have ps5 and next xbox already this year. Around 8-10tf running on some ryzen CPU at 60fps 4k.

Hyperanium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hyperanium
Member since 2018 • 16 Posts

In my opinion, the 8-year-life-cycle is decent, nothing majorly wrong with it.

Sure, PC has much more upgrade potential, pretty much never outdated (if you upgrade it when it needs to). But some people prefer different stuff for their needs, maybe they like the simplicity of consoles, or they're a big fan of physical copies.

I tend to fall in the medium of which I'm neutral to both.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pcvirginrace

@hyperanium: you can still have all that and not buy a ps5 until 2 years later why force people to wait 8 years just cuz you are not ready? Not everyone jumps on board ayway on launch year.

If they release new console 6 year apart, and you wait 2 years to get it, it's basically 8 years for you but 6 for people who want to upgrade

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I'm a console guy through and through but I've always been interested in PC gaming; if only because there's so many mods and fangames you can download. The big issue for me has always been space though. I have a small bedroom so I wouldn't have room for a desk/PC.

heljar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 heljar75
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts

@pcvirginrace said:

@hyperanium: you can still have all that and not buy a ps5 until 2 years later why force people to wait 8 years just cuz you are not ready? Not everyone jumps on board ayway on launch year.

If they release new console 6 year apart, and you wait 2 years to get it, it's basically 8 years for you but 6 for people who want to upgrade

If you want the latest games you have to jump on to the new console pretty early. How many 360 and PS3 games are available now? Most new games arrive on the new generation.

I play mostly on consoles and I'm happy with the current situation. I'm not about to jump onto PC anytime soon.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

@pcvirginrace: Last year was a huge hit for all console platforms, you're in the minority assuming generations need to be shorter due to power differences. P.C. was always the place to go if you want the option to max out performance, yet rarely a care for many. Because console games usually hit a middle ground performance wise while focusing on accessibility which was always the point in gaming consoles.

I have a gaming P.C. and use my PS4 and Switch more. And many factors for this

Hardware is rarely a reason for me because I just want to play fun games, which granted P.C. can do, however. Counting frames and staring at textures is the least of my concern. The last game I got on P.C. PUBG has its fair share of performance issues, even with me able to max out most my games.

I play P.C. for keyboard and mouse games usually. Huge investor in games like War for the Overworld and Elite Dangerous. Even some pad focused/ Pixel Indies like Owlboy that have yet to hit consoles (I will double dip).

You must also keep in mind two of the most well-received recent P.C. games of all time are Undertale and Minecraft. Not very demanding games in any sense, and are a reflection of how little power really matters even on the P.C. platform and the buyers market at large.

Lastly I usually prefer online communities within console versions for multiplayer games, mixed results depending what you are playing, however I've found games like DkS are filled with hackers that even the developer has given up fixing. Played DkSIII quite a lot on both P.C. and PS4 and had a lot more fun PvPing on PS4. P.C. version was a nightmare! Outside of WftO the only other game I'm still playing online with P.C. is dipping into Quake Champions, which, is Early Access (Beta).

All in all, this should be on System-Wars regardless as its focus is on clashing platforms against each other, with little reason to do so.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

Consoles do well enough for me hardware wise so I’m fine with them currently myself. I’m not really interested in gaming on the PC at this point in time though and just prefer to do my gaming on consoles.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

8 year lifespan for computer technology is 100% absolutely completely asinine people

but my unscientific reason why I think people are moving toward PC is because the games are better.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Three big reason for me were console games coming out in a broken beta state (or often worse) and the industry discontinuing the practice of allowing to remap controls on console games. The third is online play locked behind a paywall.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#12  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

What's the data on people moving to PC? And what do you mean by "moving"?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@so_hai said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/pc-gaming-is-overtaking-console-gaming-32585559/

source is also in the thread.

I have to go thru this about every month for the past 3 friggin years. and the article below appears to be just hardware

from the link:

The PC industry is betting big on gamers

The PC gaming market produced $21.5 billion in hardware sales last year, according to data from Jon Peddie Research, which is more than double the revenues derived from console sales. More notably, unlike the broader PC market, which continues shrinking, gaming PC sales are projected to increase over the next couple of years. The JPR analysis suggests the biggest chunk of gaming PC revenue — somewhere in the vicinity of 44 percent — comes from the so-called enthusiast segment, which the researchers identify as "very performance and style oriented, much like sports car owners."

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#14 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@tryit: That's a 2+ year old article. Is there newer data?

And what do you mean you "have to do this" - if you start a thread, it's only natural that you have to respond.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1855 Posts

@pcvirginrace: With a 1070ti running at around $1,200 on Amazon, I can’t see some sort of exodus to PC happening anytime soon.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Even though the Switch has some great exclusives I think it has a lot of flaws. The Switch itself is just not for me which sucks. I thought about PC gaming in 2014 and 2015. Online paywalls suck.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've never seen a console gamer jump platforms. I've seen plenty add PCs to game on.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

I think there is more to choosing your platform than generation length and technical capability.

Though you wouldn't know it by how people argue on here... :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

@tryit said:
@so_hai said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/pc-gaming-is-overtaking-console-gaming-32585559/

source is also in the thread.

I have to go thru this about every month for the past 3 friggin years. and the article below appears to be just hardware

from the link:

The PC industry is betting big on gamers

The PC gaming market produced $21.5 billion in hardware sales last year, according to data from Jon Peddie Research, which is more than double the revenues derived from console sales. More notably, unlike the broader PC market, which continues shrinking, gaming PC sales are projected to increase over the next couple of years. The JPR analysis suggests the biggest chunk of gaming PC revenue — somewhere in the vicinity of 44 percent — comes from the so-called enthusiast segment, which the researchers identify as "very performance and style oriented, much like sports car owners."

The majority of Gamespot is American, and Americans generally can't look past their own country (and Japan, to an extent) as far as trends go gaming-wise. They don't/won't realize that, internationally, PC is growing a lot and a huge chunk of the gaming sector.

Which is also a major problem for me; until these GPU manufacturers get shit in order concerning bit coin and offer an alternative hardware solution, I think that is going to stifle PC population growth. Not everyone has the amount of disposable income your typical American has.