Really cannot see the point in Monster Hunter games...

#1 Posted by henrythefifth (2484 posts) -

First of all, the games dont require skill at all. Just patience.

Patience to keep hacking at the monsters for hours before they finally keel over.

Patience to keep hunting the same monster for days and days, until you finally manage to cut off the part you need for your armor. And thanks to the vague hit boxes, cutting off the right part is not down to skill, but purely to luck. Fact.

And then there is the lack of reward.

You whack a mega monster for an hour, yawn, and finally it dies. Your reward? Few resources that arent even enough to make up a new set of armour. And that's about it.

So darned unrewarding game in every way!!! Darn it!

In regular JPRGs, when you beat down such monsters, you get rich rewards that make it feel worth the effort. In MH games, you get zip, zero, nada for your efforts.

So what is the point of even hunting the monsters????

Especially since they respawn minute after you're gone.

Yeah. I tell you. MH games are the most unrewarding and pointless games I've ever played.

MH World, for example, I played on just the see the other maps, but not for a second did I enjoy it or feel the joy of the hunt that I've felt in other, better games.

Yeah. Don't get it. Don't get MH fans either.

Also dont get why the games are so barren and bland visually. MH World on PS4, for example, looks like something from PS2 (pic below). And plays like something from PS2 too!

Go figure.

#2 Posted by pyro1245 (4997 posts) -

After a while in MHW I saw the endgame and understood it.

In that moment I had beaten the game.

#3 Posted by Macutchi (6738 posts) -

i know one particular gd regular who may take exception to this thread...

#4 Posted by Speeny (1632 posts) -

@Macutchi: So do I. :)

#5 Posted by Speeny (1632 posts) -

I've never played them myself but I know RSM-HQ is a fan of them.

#6 Posted by henrythefifth (2484 posts) -

Also, compare MH to Shadow of the Colossus!

Now, they are similar in that in Colossus, you dont really get rewards for hunts either.

Difference is that in Colossus, the hunts are so exhilarating and awesome that you dont even care about rewards. You do the hunts for the joy of the hunt.

Now that is something MH has never achieved. Nobody does hunts in MH for the joy of the hunt. Not even the fans. Hunts are always done for the resources they yield, in MH, not for fun.

#7 Posted by Ovirew (9002 posts) -

I couldn't really get into MH either, but I have a buddy and know of a few other people out there who are die-hard fans of this series.

At the end of the day, if you're playing a game and enjoy it, it shouldn't matter if it's a perfect game.

#8 Edited by RSM-HQ (8330 posts) -

@henrythefifth: Hmm, an interesting misleading perspective. When your greatest achievement was grabbing a gastronome tuna from the first five minutes of the tutorial. Wearing tutorial armor. . That raises a lot to be desired. Not sure you have a very good understanding of the series. This appears much like your Resident Evil thread, very bait'y

Patience to keep hacking at the monsters for hours before they finally keel over.

Hours you say? One cannot hunt a creature for hours. It would flee in the wilds, hunts also have caps. Behemoth for example had 35 minute caps. Even in the Beta these timers was in full swing. And most Hunters know how to bring it down with skill to gather certain parts. The series even has a competitive scene. Which pretty much contradicts your viewpoint_

I've personally slain many the elders in less than ten minutes, it's not exactly a difficult task.

You can also capture monsters, which speeds up the process further (non elders). One learns this in the One star hunts (tutorial) but nothing is stopping experienced hunters gathering the resources to make traps and tranqs straight from the beginning

Yeah. Don't get it. Don't get MH fans either.

You don't need to, the franchise does extremely fine regardless. And plenty of new people jumped into the new game loving the experience. Not everyone enjoys or understands the same kind of games. And you know what, that's fine.

Just play the games that you find enjoyment out of. That's kinda how this gaming hobby works.

However think I can give the other notes a pass commenting, seeing a pattern. Doesn't appear you gave the game much of a chance to sink-in. Or to even learn even the most basic of mechanics. And that shows with a lot of your statements. Which contradict actual gameplay.

@Macutchi said:

i know one particular gd regular who may take exception to this thread...

@speeny said:

I've never played them myself but I know RSM-HQ is a fan of them.

. . . hey now. World sold over 12 million copies and extremely well reviewed. Surely one other person on GD forums actually played it longer than a digital return period?

No one here, ok. .

#wheremyhuntersat

Role on Iceborne!

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (27920 posts) -

I’ve never had to hack at monsters for hours myself. In fact I’ve beaten Tempered Elders in under 15 minutes. Making specific loadouts with armour, weapons, and jewels, studying monster attacks, and attacking specific points on those monster while avoiding their attacks all felt pretty skillful and very rewarding to me.

So much bait and just general misinformation in the OP it’s painful. Anyway I find Monster Hunter World incredibly rewarding and satisfying and am really looking forward to the Iceborne dlc.

#10 Posted by RSM-HQ (8330 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

So much bait and just general misinformation in the OP it’s painful. Anyway I find Monster Hunter World incredibly rewarding and satisfying and am really looking forward to the Iceborne dlc.

Was hoping some other Hunter-bros would show up.

You ser Archangel deserve a horn buff

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (27920 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Nice. I certainly appreciate the benefits that a good horn user brings to the hunt. 😁

#12 Posted by henrythefifth (2484 posts) -

According to purists, MH World is the weakest of the MH games.

Apparently its way too mainstream to appeal to real MH aficionados.

According to these experts, 4U and FU are the very best of the MH games.

Well, I guess they know the best, being the real experts and true veterans of the MH series. Suppose I should give 4U a try then. Might indeed be better than the mainstream MHW...

Kinda reminds me of GTA, that. We purists rank GTAV as the weakest of the games, because it is so mainstream and way too easy. Its very polished and fine game on its own, sure, but just so disappointingly mainstream....

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#13 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (242 posts) -

They take so long to die, which is why I switched to bloodborne which is more about skill of quick dodges and strategies for bosses. This was a bit of a grind but I still think it required some skill...but thats opinion based but I might come back to MHW.

#14 Edited by RSM-HQ (8330 posts) -
@henrythefifth said:

According to purists, MH World is the weakest of the MH games.

No committed fan has stated that from my knowledge. You are really reaching Hen. As someone who follows the GFAQ forum and 4Gamer (two biggest MH communities) only try-hards and troIIs say such things with each entry (usually known to play non of these games), and they've been doing it since MH2. In forums they're dubbed sequel dumpers.

It's a common thing idiots do with too much free-time. Seem familiar?

Apparently its way too mainstream to appeal to real MH aficionados.

I've been playing since the PSP entries as has many on my group. And largely disagree.

'Mainstream'? No. Easier than 4G, certainly. Launch was pretty easy going for returning players and seemed to be a nightmare for everyone else seeing as even World is tougher than Dark Souls.

Think I'm joking? Look up Bazelgeuse on Google on the month of Worlds release.

And since then added Arch monsters and a few other editions that really pushed it to be tougher for veterans.

These are the kind of things you find related to Monster Hunter: World on a search, from people still playing these games.

According to these experts, 4U and FU are the very best of the MH games.

And they're both second editions to already numbered games. So it would be better to compare them when Iceborne releases with its Iceborne expansion. Real Monster Hunter fans know how this franchise works. But yes, 4G is without question my favorite game in the series.

MH fans are use to waiting for the next G modes and monsters, and World has such an expansion set for release. Just as 4 to 4G/U did. It's the exact same system they've done since the original and MHG.

Well, I guess they know the best, being the real experts and true veterans of the MH series. Suppose I should give 4U a try then. Might indeed be better than the mainstream MHW...

You keep using mainstream as though you know the meaning. .

So in hindsight this was just your attempt to trigger fans and make a fool out yourself?

You'll go fishing in the game in tutorial armor then make claims of how the whole game is garbage. again

I'm sensing some denial that you cannot accept the games you like are the mainstream flock. And World was too complex and difficult for you to understand.

If MH is not for you that's completely fine, but you do not speak for the fanbase or even the most basic of mechanics.

But sure, I'll go back playing my mainstream Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. You go play Days Gone and Spider Man. . Far too hardcore for us. .

#15 Edited by Ish_basic (4995 posts) -

Well, I think I would say the same thing about Colossus as Dragon's Dogma - in both games there are mechanics designed specifically for large enemies, and you can hurt them, debilitate them in a very obvious way before they suddenly just drop dead. You get the last part to some degree in MHW as you sever pieces, but it mostly just feels a lot like breaking open a pinata.

Most melee games have this problem of viscerality. It's easy enough to find a shooter where the guns feel lethal, but most melee games it's Nerf or Nothin with your weapon attacks. I mean, just look at the latest trailer from Jedi Fallen Order. Weapons should cut and dig in and that guy should not be 100% afterwards. Right now, it's more like fighting an HP bar than an enemy. This effect is just exaggerated in something like MHW because of the size of the enemies. We always joke in GW2 about giving dragons pedicures because there's 50-100 of us just whacking away at the World Boss's ankles until it suddenly just drops dead. Game devs just need to rethink melee and bring to it the same kind of oomph as a devastating headshot from a sniper.

#16 Edited by sakaiXx (5486 posts) -

Tbh monster hunter games always seemed pointless unless you have dedication to play it. I have 3 monster hunter games where I have clocked over 1000hours so far and sometimes I hate that I love the games. Currently I havent touch any monster hunter game since witcher 3 collab in preparation for at least 500+ hours of pointless mastering guard point on all new monster and variations.

Edit: Also "iai Slash"? I am LS main forever now. Already have a combo in my head