Realistic sword deflection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Indubitably

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Indubitably
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Hey everyone,

I was wondering why game companies haven't yet introduced realistic sword deflections.

In probably all games that involve combat a person just cuts trough someone till his health bar depletes.

I know the counter-argument is that i would take a lot of money to invest in, but, if done right you could change the whole way combat works in games. And it's not like they don't have the money to invest in something that would be the center piece of the game.

Think the Witcher series or Shadow of Mordor/War, but you actually have unique or randomized sword battles. Just that would make you intrigued to play.

Tell me what you think.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

The upcoming Kingdom Come : Deliverance?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19561 Posts

Mount and Blade has the best melee combat physics I can think of.

RevolverRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5 RevolverRick
Member since 2017 • 31 Posts

Mount and Blade has some excellent sword play and with Bannerlord coming out soon(hopefully) we'll see more of it.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I think Way of the Samurai had some pretty fun sword combat. Still the only game i've played where you can use an enemy's momentum to send him hurtling over a bar stool.

But to try to answer your question, for one thing cleave is one of the few ways to balance melee with AoE and ranged based damage classes in RPGs, and since most medieval stuff is some kind of RPG...

There is also the "hollywood effect." People have no concept of real sword combat. As soon as you give them a katana and it bounces off chainmail, they will cry that their legendary japanese masterpiece is actually shit against armor and look to play something more aligned with their image of period warfare. So how did armored samurai do battle? With bows and spears, straight daggers slipped between armor plates, and wrestling (which they called Judo), like every other culture.

Swords work fine against the unarmored, but imagining medieval combat as people running around with swords attacking each other is a bit like a thousand years from now imagining today's warfare as hundreds of people firing pistols at each other...yeah, they have pistols, but it's nobody's first choice. Swords have a mystique that causes them to be more prevalent in fiction than they ever were on the battlefield. One of those cases where fiction is better than the reality so we stick with the fiction for entertainment purposes.