RE4 graphics aren't that great!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

So i just picked it up for the GC, and expected to be blown away since it gets the most votes on here whenever someone does a "best graphics" thread, but in all honesty, i think the graphics are only "pretty good", comparable to Twilight Princess. As far as sharpness goes, there are plenty of games with crisper graphics on the cube IMHO, like Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime, SSBM, Star Fox Adventures, but most importantly, Soul Caliber 2. dats my 2 pennies.

Ninja_T-Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Ninja_T-Rex
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

That's your opinion and your entitled too it. :)

I think the graphics are just as good as Zelda's. 

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I agree but I think none of those games u listed beat it only windwaker does
SHERBO64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SHERBO64
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
yeah but have you played the ps2 version? i haven't but that's supposed to be worse, the cutscenes are pre-rendered (not in real time, so the items you have equipped don't come up), and ps2 just can't produce as good graphics as GC most of the time
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts
While those games may have crisper graphics, they aren't going for as much of a "realistic" feel as RE4. Even Metroid Prime, while one of the most beautiful games I've seen on the Gamecube, doesn't have super realistic graphics. Same goes for Sunshine. RE4 strives for more realistic graphics and as a result, they aren't as crisp because the Gamecube has it's limitations when it comes to that realistic feel.
skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#7 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts
While those games may have crisper graphics, they aren't going for as much of a "realistic" feel as RE4. Even Metroid Prime, while one of the most beautiful games I've seen on the Gamecube, doesn't have super realistic graphics. Same goes for Sunshine. RE4 strives for more realistic graphics and as a result, they aren't as crisp because the Gamecube has it's limitations when it comes to that realistic feel. Wolblade
ya, i'm sure thats the difference i'm talking about
VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
I wasn't impressed with RE4's graphics, either. But that was because I'd already been blown away by REmake (regardless of the fact that a lot of it was pre-rendered)....But I guess playing RE4 on an HDTV didn't help matters, either.
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

I wasn't impressed with RE4's graphics, either. But that was because I'd already been blown away by REmake (regardless of the fact that a lot of it was pre-rendered)....But I guess playing RE4 on an HDTV didn't help matters, either.VMan

Yeah, that probably didn't help any.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
The game is vastly overated on its graphics, seriously, even the PC game looks better which is pristine
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
pc version was just a gc port even the controls had the gc mapping everything was the same
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
I still love the graphics of this game. For the time, they were outstanding. ~ de arimasu
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#14 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

So i just picked it up for the GC, and expected to be blown away since it gets the most votes on here whenever someone does a "best graphics" thread, but in all honesty, i think the graphics are only "pretty good", comparable to Twilight Princess. As far as sharpness goes, there are plenty of games with crisper graphics on the cube IMHO, like Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime, SSBM, Star Fox Adventures, but most importantly, Soul Caliber 2. dats my 2 pennies.

skreetpreacha
And i disagree, imo RE4 by far had the best graphics on the GC for pure scale and amount on screen at once in certain areas. The over all style and atmosphere shown through in the visuals just makes the game look amazing.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
I wasn't impressed with RE4's graphics, either. But that was because I'd already been blown away by REmake (regardless of the fact that a lot of it was pre-rendered)....But I guess playing RE4 on an HDTV didn't help matters, either.VMan
That really is the case. I played the first half of it (granted it was the Wii version) on an SDTV and was stunned by how good a last-gen game looked. I came home and hooked it up to my 46 inch Bravia...big mistake. The drop was so huge that I literally went to the back of the television to ensure that all of the cables were snuggly connected.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#16 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts
I think you have to put it into perspective. It was released in January 2005, a few months after the "Super Games" of 2004 with Halo 2, GTA:SA, Half Life 2, and Metroid Prime 2 all fresh in most folks minds and it came out and just blew our minds, I think the shock was just that we didn't expect Gamecube to ever be able to put out those sort of textures and graphics. It was the benchmark for third person survival horror titles, and it came out for Gamecube which really blew most folks minds and made many of us forget about the glut of awesome games that had just come out. Then when you compare it to the TERRIBLE PS2 version, you really get an idea for how solid it looked back in the day.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Are you playing on an HD or SDTV? 30fps GC games look noticeably worse than 60fps GC games on HDTVs. I'm pretty sure all the games with "crisper graphics" that you mentioned are 60fps games, which supports my theory. And yes, I've noticed that too - in my opinion, the GC game with the best graphics on an HDTV is Metroid Prime 2.
CasioTeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CasioTeck
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

you need to get your eye sight checked out.

re4 for the cube was one of the most epic scale games visually of the last gen. The atmosphere, lighting, texture, bump mapping and epic boss battles make it among the best games made to date. 

even re5 won't top it. Especially considering most of it is recycled animations from all the gameplay footage I have seen so far.  

you sure you aren't playing the ps2 version?  

brettchalupa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brettchalupa
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
I'll be honest, I felt the same way when I played RE4 for the first time, but if you think about it Mario and Zelda use cartoony graphic styles which are much easier to make look smoother than the realistic like RE4. RE4 for its time and style truly does have great graphics.
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
I was floored by the game when I first seen videos and screenshots of it. And when I played it I was even more impressed. I wish I would have kept it and not traded it in for the PS2 version. I really hate myself for that because I thought the PS2 version BLEW even with all the added content. Nothing will top the original GC version!
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
Then when you compare it to the TERRIBLE PS2 version, you really get an idea for how solid it looked back in the day. cosmostein77
:| The PS2 version wasn't terrible, far from it. What Capcom did porting that over and keeping it looking that good onto the weaker machine was nothing short of brilliant. I completed it on the wii, GC and PS2 and noticed slightly worse textures on the PS2 and the cutscenes not being in real time but apart from that...
equimanthorn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 equimanthorn01
Member since 2008 • 1769 Posts
Are you looking at it on a TV with no verticle hold while sniffing sharpies?
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
...are you sure you're not basing this graphics comparison between the discussion of the PS2 versus the gamecube RE4, thread?
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
the GC had some good graphics when it came down to exclusives and 2nd party games i kinda didnt really like 3rd party games on there just becuase it looked alot better on a xbox or even a ps2