Rayman Origins has been profitable for Ubisoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Cool news.

While no specific sales figures were provided (nor was the budget), the company revealed the game's profitability to investors during a conference call Wednesday morning, saying that the title "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40327/2D_throwback_Rayman_Origins_proves_profitable_for_Ubisoft.php

I'm going to make it a little more profitable for Ubisoft by buying it for my Vita next week (I missed the console version).

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Nice! Picked this up for ym 360 and would welcome another 2D game in the series.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I've picked it up for the PS3 and have really enjoyed the gameplay. Congrats, Ubi.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I did my part and bought two copies -- one for myself and one for my brother. I got the copy for my brother on sale, but I would've paid full pop for it. Such a fantastic game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41598 Posts
Good to hear. A great game more people need to play. :)
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Glad the sales turned out strong for this game. The team responsible for Rayman Origins deserves all the success they can get. It's such a beautiful platformer that is very fun to play. I'm glad I took that Toys R'Us deal that happened awhile back for it!

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I waited for the game to drop below $30, and after completing it I have to say it was easily worth $60. Amazing game.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Excellent. Now hurry up with Rayman 4.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Glad some good came out of it for Ubisoft. The game is brilliant. If they ever decide to release something similar, hopefully they learn not to release in a month with CoD, because Origins deserves some more attention.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

burgeg

Rayman Origins was essentially Rayman 4... I don't see how putting a number beside it makes it more relevant as an entry in the franchise.

In any case, this is great news. This was my GOTY 2011 and the best platformer I have ever played beating out Yoshi's Island's long run with that title.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

If true (which I doubt) that's really a shame that a dev can take a cheaply made game like Rayman and instead of selling it on the arcade services for 10/15 bucks can go out and sell it for 50+ and rip off users everywhere.

The thing I'm happiest about is that most people didn't fall for this scam and picked it up when it was 14.99-20 from various retailers.

It sold about a million units on the three consoles and if you follow the sales most of them were during the 14.00-20 span, of course it made money because it didn't take much to throw it together.

Bad news for the industry if they keep doing this, hopefully this wont start a trend

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shame-usBlackley

If true (which I doubt) that's really a shame that a dev can take a cheaply made game like Rayman and instead of selling it on the arcade services for 10/15 bucks can go out and sell it for 50+ and rip off users everywhere.

The thing I'm happiest about is that most people didn't fall for this scam and picked it up when it was 14.99-20 from various retailers.

It sold about a million units on the three consoles and if you follow the sales most of them were during the 14.00-20 span, of course it made money because it didn't take much to throw it together.

Bad news for the industry if they keep doing this, hopefully this wont start a trend

Jaysonguy

Using your own logic, Duke Nukem Forever should've retailed for several hundred dollars.

Moreover, not all users who own PS3s and 360s have their systems connected online, and even fewer actually buy content on them with any regularity. I'm not saying those services shouldn't have been considered as possible alternative to a brick and mortar release, but your absolutist contention that they should have been is busted. Ubisoft knew goddamn good and well that they had the best platformer made in years on their hands, and I can't blame them for thinking that itDESERVED a space on the shelf between Shooter 512 and the latest Kinect turd. However, I CAN blame Ubisoft for releasing it during the holiday rush, seeing as it is in a genre that is not popular like it once was.

The only travesty here is that the market is so fuc*ed in the head that they can't see a good game even when it is almost the sole release in the genre for the year.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I'm picking this for the PC. I know I shouldn't because Ubisoft is terrible for PC gamers like me and many others.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really need to pick this up sometime. How much is it now? I've heard it's like $20 new.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nintendoboy16

I really need to pick this up sometime. How much is it now? I've heard it's like $20 new.

Vari3ty
Last I checked Gamestop, all console versions were $30. They are probably still that price.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Shame-usBlackley

Using your own logic, Duke Nukem Forever should've retailed for several hundred dollars.

Moreover, not all users who own PS3s and 360s have their systems connected online, and even fewer actually buy content on them with any regularity. I'm not saying those services shouldn't have been considered as possible alternative to a brick and mortar release, but your absolutist contention that they should have been is busted. Ubisoft knew goddamn good and well that they had the best platformer made in years on their hands, and I can't blame them for thinking that itDESERVED a space on the shelf between Shooter 512 and the latest Kinect turd. However, I CAN blame Ubisoft for releasing it during the holiday rush, seeing as it is in a genre that is not popular like it once was.

The only travesty here is that the market is so fuc*ed in the head that they can't see a good game even when it is almost the sole release in the genre for the year.

So wait, you say it's one of the best games but then you say it wasn't good enough to sell during the holidays where most games are bought?

Nope, this rush job wasn't good enough to sell when people buy almost anything on the shelf. You even said it yourself that it shouldn't have been released in the holiday season and the only reason for that is that it's not good enough.

Too many apologists for this game that is barely above a flash game and the fact that it's already half it's launch price after 3 months reflects that

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

So wait, you say it's one of the best games but then you say it wasn't good enough to sell during the holidays where most games are bought?

Nope, this rush job wasn't good enough to sell when people buy almost anything on the shelf. You even said it yourself that it shouldn't have been released in the holiday season and the only reason for that is that it's not good enough.

Too many apologists for this game that is barely above a flash game and the fact that it's already half it's launch price after 3 months reflects that

Right, because good games never get overlooked during the holidays. Only bad ones.

I'm trying to figure out if you are serious and just have very little grasp of historical trends in the industry, or if you're joke posting.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Jaysonguy

Firstly, do you have an actual source that proves definitively that Rayman: Origins was as cheap to develop as you claim? Also, as Shamus already asked, are you suggesting the retail price of a game should be directly proportional to the budget of said game? (Ironically, that's a far scarier assertion than your silly lamentation regarding cheaply made games being sold at standard retail prices)

The reason I ask is because the artwork on that game alone suggests some serious labor. This game is also a technical marvel, running in HD at 60fps without a hitch. You also make the ridiculously ignorant claim that Rayman is only a notch above a flash game when in reality it has been universally lauded as one of the most beautifully animated games of all time. That's not really what flash games are known for.

I'm also curious where you acquired the sales data proving that "most" people who bought this title did so for between 15-20 dollars? Again, the onus is upon you to actually back up your vapid claims with some semblance of evidence and thus far you have failed miserably to actually justify your obnoxious postulations.

Have you even played the game?

And if so are you asserting the content, length and quality do not justify a full retail price?

Please be specific so that we might actually attempt to take your position seriously.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

Pikminmaniac

Rayman Origins was essentially Rayman 4... I don't see how putting a number beside it makes it more relevant as an entry in the franchise.

In any case, this is great news. This was my GOTY 2011 and the best platformer I have ever played beating out Yoshi's Island's long run with that title.

Fine. I'll rephrase. Now hurry with a new 3D Rayman. I loved Rayman Origins too, but I still want a new 3D game.

Also, Rayman Origins wasn't as good as Rayman 1 imo. It's probably the most overrated Rayman game. It severely lacked in challenge. If only there were more stages like Land of the Livid Dead. Best platformer of 2011? Probably. Best 2D platformer this generation? Nope, it doesn't beat Super Meat Boy for me. Rayman Origins actually was a little disappointing if anything. My hype for it was kind of insane. I'm a massive Rayman fan and the first Rayman in 8 years had me giddy with excitement. It was an amazing game, but I was hoping it would top the original Rayman. Like I said if there were more stages like Land of the Livid Dead maybe it would have. The game just provided little to no challenge. That didn't mean it wasn't fun as hell, but it made it a little disappointing compared to Rayman 1, which is one of my favourite games of all time. But yeah I'll agree Rayman Origins is a much better game than Yoshi's Island, and probably my second favourite platformer this generation next to Super Meat Boy.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#20 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Awesome. Good to see it actually performed well. Game deserves it.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

burgeg

Fine. I'll rephrase. Now hurry with a new 3D Rayman. I loved Rayman Origins too, but I still want a new 3D game.

Also, Rayman Origins wasn't as good as Rayman 1 imo. It's probably the most overrated Rayman game. It severely lacked in challenge. If only there were more stages like Land of the Livid Dead. Best platformer of 2011? Probably. Best 2D platformer this generation? Nope, it doesn't beat Super Meat Boy for me. Rayman Origins actually was a little disappointing if anything. My hype for it was kind of insane. I'm a massive Rayman fan and the first Rayman in 8 years had me giddy with excitement. It was an amazing game, but I was hoping it would top the original Rayman. Like I said if there were more stages like Land of the Livid Dead maybe it would have. The game just provided little to no challenge. That didn't mean it wasn't fun as hell, but it made it a little disappointing compared to Rayman 1, which is one of my favourite games of all time. But yeah I'll agree Rayman Origins is a much better game than Yoshi's Island, and probably my second favourite platformer this generation next to Super Meat Boy.

Fair enough, but I personally found that the first Rayman's difficulty came more from cheapness and clunky controls more than anything. Rayman Origin's gameplay is insanely smooth and responsive as well as a lot more quick in pacing at the same time that it also encouraged you to stop and explore EVERYTHING if you wanted to collect all of the lums. It had the very best of both worlds. I also strongly believe that Origins is by FAR the strongest Michel Ancel game in terms of quality and precision design. I also found the challenge to be quite high. It's vastly more difficult than the majority of games out now and next to Rayman 1, it's the hardest Rayman to date.

So, while I love the first Rayman game, I feel it shows that it was made by a group of developers that were working on their first project. It was rough around the edges.

Personally I'd much rather the series remain in 2D. 2D platformers are more precise and therefore well designed in almost every case than their 3D counterparts. Also they tend to have a far higher difficulty level (because of the precise nature of 2D platformers, you are left with only 1 or 2 hits because you cannot be hit blindly. In a 3D platformer you are always given a health bar because of the possibility of cheap hits in a full 3d environment). Rayman 2 and 3 were absolute cakewalks in comparison to 1 and Origins and while Rayman 2 is among the very best 3D platformers ever made, it's PS1 version is probably the worst Rayman game in existance. 2D is also where Michel Ancel (the creater) always wanted the series anyways.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

nintendoboy16

Last I checked Gamestop, all console versions were $30. They are probably still that price.

Well that's not bad. I'll probably pick it up soon then.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

Well that's not bad. I'll probably pick it up soon then.

It's a good game and well worth the $30. Again, such a beautiful platformer that responds to you well and provides a great challenge. :)

svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

The game still cost $30, but at gamestop they seem to slash the price down to $20.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-rayman+origins

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Cool news.

While no specific sales figures were provided (nor was the budget), the company revealed the game's profitability to investors during a conference call Wednesday morning, saying that the title "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40327/2D_throwback_Rayman_Origins_proves_profitable_for_Ubisoft.php

I'm going to make it a little more profitable for Ubisoft by buying it for my Vita next week (I missed the console version).

CarnageHeart

Definitely awesome news, the game deserves even more success however. The ability to zoom in, in the Vita version is going to be cool.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Nice! I loved it. Great, great game.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
I'm glad to see people still like real games.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I really wish I had disposable income to throw around so I could support games like this. I would like to know how it fared on PC being non-DRM.
leilamayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 leilamayhem
Member since 2007 • 407 Posts

Picked this up at full price and it was worth every single penny. Still not finished with it. I play co-op with my girlfriend and we have a blast. I love that this game focused on OFFLINE content & especially LOCAL co-op; and a real old school sense of fun & challenge mixed with beautiful HD graphics. It's so rare to find a game like this.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I really wish I had disposable income to throw around so I could support games like this. I would like to know how it fared on PC being non-DRM.

I don't think that version released yet.
DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

Well that's what happens hen you make a good game and advertise it well (enough).

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Good stuff. I saw it for $19.99 on Wii, $29.99 on the PS3/360 but I didn't get it. I'm waiting to see how the 3DS port is; once I play the demo I'll decide on which version to get.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I picked it up the instant it hit $30 (which was mid December if I remember correctly) and really enjoyed it despite a few minor problems. I don't necessarily feel bad about waiting for it to drop half price, though. Also it deserves props for being one of only a few legitimately 1080p console games out there.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I picked it up the instant it hit $30 (which was mid December if I remember correctly) and really enjoyed it despite a few minor problems. I don't necessarily feel bad about waiting for it to drop half price, though. Also it deserves props for being one of only a few legitimately 1080p console games out there.DJ_Lae

What problems did you see with the game? Only thing that I didn't like, at times, were the Treasure-Chasing levels, because they were pretty much a trial-and-error affair.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

What problems did you see with the game? Only thing that I didn't like, at times, were the Treasure-Chasing levels, because they were pretty much a trial-and-error affair.

Jbul
Definitely the treasure chasing stuff - the pirate one in particular was one notch away from being legitimately bugged, too. I also didn't really care for the bosses or how they pulled a boss rush near the end of the game. Some of the mosquito segments dragged a bit long as well. But other than that, a tightly controlling platformer with some absolutely gorgeous graphics.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Looks like I will be getting this game for PSvita. I have not gotten aroung to playing this on PS3 or Xbox 360. But Ubisoft has managed to make a great platformer. Ubisoft needed to bring Rayman back to his roots.