Rate the video game industry

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Rate the video game industry (23 votes)

8 9%
3 9%
5 17%
10 9%
6 13%
2 0%
4 13%
9 9%
7 9%
1 13%
  • An industry that actively hates and disrespects its customers, routinely lies to its customers, and constantly reaching into its customers' wallets to extract more money via products that have been already bought and paid for.
  • An immature, childish, violent, toxic customer base that routinely sends death and rape threats to developers if games don't conform to their narrow limited safe space viewpoints or to game sites if a game they haven't even played yet gets an 8 instead of a 10.
  • Games that occasionally are gems but most games are no risk, cynical, focus grouped "consumer-centric" products that sell extraordinarily well because gamers buy the industry's stuff no matter what.
  • 4/10. The gaming industry made more money than Hollywood last year, revenue is skyrocketing but the industry and its customers are getting worse every year.
 • 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44416 Posts

I’d give an 8 myself. Sure there is some lousy stuff here and there but I think the majority of games out there are genuinely good stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

4 for me, 8th gen made me really despise the gaming industry to it's fullest and it's only going to get worst until there's a crash which probably wouldn't happen but I would like it to. All these greedy publishers have been making gaming feel so dirty in the last 7 years. You are so right OP about the gaming industry taking no risk that's why I find it so damn boring now 7th gen was the last time the AAA gaming industry took risk now everything is so damn stale.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

5/10 an actual average (know some people who cannot count think 8/10 is average, but it is not).

Don't think much has changed over the last decade in video games from the stance of quality businesses, or customer stance standpoint. Both have merits and disappointments; cynics will only look at the negative in all things and those in denial will only blissfully see rainbows and throw money away.

Customers and vocalists just have more avenues to complain, but they're usually from a vocal minority and not the bulk of customers interested in these products. Gaming is fine, could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. Spend your money wisely and accordingly, if you make a bad purchase? learn from it. Don't repeat it.

While gaming practices from developers/ publishers have gotten much more tame than what we had near the mid-beginning of the HD era of gaming. On disc DLC coming to mind is not as aggressive as it was with games such as Resident Evil 5.

Unless you are the sort of person who only buys from EA, Ubisoft and Activision. And again, that's on >you< the customers for not broadening your horizons. If you buy garbage and continue to buy the same garbage, you deserve garbage. It's quite simple.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

worker abuse and sexual misconduct, out of 10

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I give it a 5. There's some great gaming experiences that still come out now, but alot of the industry is creatively stagnant, and becoming worse as profits are the only bottom line that matters. They don't even try to cover it up anymore, with DLC, safe remakes, and micro-transactions being forcefully standardized, even blatantly stapled onto the game a month or two after reviews hit. They push digital because it's cheaper to produce and attempts to lock you into they're ecosystem, but that savings do go to the customer at all, -same price.

I think what happened to the gaming industry is the same thing that happened to the music and movie industries before it. It became a big money industry, and big money stifles creativity because it becomes more about mass market appeal than taking a risk with something new. That's why people get so excited about new IPs now, because it's a rarity rather than the norm.

I get that you want to make a profit, and it's easier to produce something you already have when you have droves of people still wanting to buy the same thing over and over, but it's disenchanting for older gamers who remember when you had more for alot less. This has been the most lukewarm gen start I can remember, with more of a focus on subscriptions and upgrades to existing games than a push toward something new and exciting.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

4/10

DLCs and add-ons have been killing the gaming industry. Gambling has become increasingly popular and damaging people. EA I am looking at you.

Wish I was back in the PS1 era

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

5. As long as I receive and enjoy the games, I feel pretty neutral about it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

I give AAA/large-scale development gaming a C-

• Pros:
    • High production values
    • In many regards, a good value; games like MMO's or open-world games like Assassin's Creed
    • Still fun, at the end of the day, albeit not fulfilling
  • Cons:
    • Have established a lot of destructive, regressive habits: games-as-a-service, loot boxes, day-one DLC/season passes, and so on.
    • Release games half-finished or full of bugs.
    • Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive...
    • Actively practice exclusivity, which is inherently anti-consumer and bad for game development.
    • Over-priced, over-advertised, and over-specialized; modern AAA-developers tend to put all their effort into one product and then try to milk the customer for all their worth (instead of developing multiple "one and done" games).

Independent gaming I give an A++

• Pros:
    • Risk takers
    • Honest: they tell you if a game is buggy and in-development (early access).
    • Fun, fun, fun.
    • Great artistic direction.
    • Can rival AAA development on scale; games like Elite: Dangerous, Satisfactory, Valheim, Star Citizen (don't laugh), and many others offer a rich experience with diverse game mechanics in large game worlds.
  • Cons:
    • Not as pretty as big-budget games.
    • On rare occassions, some games are released in a buggy state and considered "1.0" by the developers

Felt like I needed to break the industry up into two options.

As a whole, I'd rate the industry as a B-; while AAA game development has gone stagnant and harmful to both industry and consumer, it is simultaneously being saved by independent game development by being destroyed one % of the market at a time.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1181 Posts

As someone who can compare the current tech to Pong, I give them a 9/10. I also give it a 9 because I am having a lot fun.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

A solid 6 out of 10.

The previous console generation and the beginnings of the current have been a solid win for the last generation of consoles in terms of how good games actually are, but things could still be a lot better.

The good

• Throwback shooters gaining popularity, though I feel like only a handful have actually done their homework
  • Solid selection of singleplayer games from shooters to RPGs and platformers
  • Steam's too big for Japanese game developers to ignore

The Bad

• THQ's downfall has put the Warhammer 40,000 license in a position where it needs PlatinumGames to save it
  • The PC gaming scene has been nothing more than a series of glorified petitions for the past 8 years and it's gonna stay that way for a very long time
  • Lootboxes
  • Not relating to video games, but a video game is to blame for this bullet point: Fortnite's gonna be the last official DC/Marvel crossover that the world will ever know
  • Game prices jumping up to $70 USD. As a Canadian, it's gonna take a lot to convince me to buy a console
  • Hardware scalpers rule the world

Yeah, that's a lot of bad than good, but the games that have been coming out are just THAT good to hard carry the grim darkness of the gaming industry

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

I'd give V.G.I. an 3 out of 10. There are positivity. But, it's so hard to find. Plus, there's too much negativity (overprice DLCs, season pass, 0 risk takers, gaming franchises being turn into something that games don't recognize, 1st person shooters turn into sports where it's being release every single year, microtransactions, publishers doing their thing, swatting, gaming community, open world games galore & don't even get me started on remastered/remade games flooding the gaming market) nowadays. 8th gaming generation was the worst & that's saying alot & I don't see things getting better. 6th & 7th gaming gen weren't this bad.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Walk away from gaming and get a different hobby if that's how you feel.

Me, I'd give it a 9/10, yeah it's not perfect and has some glaring flaws but what matters to me is how much enjoyment I'm getting from going and it's at an all time high for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

Now looking back and reading some of these users thoughts. . When I state the industry is a 5/10 I do not mean what some here are thinking. That doesn't mean today has no good games/ or industry has never been good. .

An example is a very recent drop. Rise continues to give and am grateful for it, the unspoken "invading predator" as well was 'chef kiss' in Update 2.0_

Despite them making some Apex monsters outside of rampage too, my score remains the same 7.5/10. Still too easy honestly but it's a welcome improvement, and great list of added monsters.

Already killed the last monster added; Teostra. Good classic but not too difficult to put down. Very similar to his Base-World counterpart with a few quickened adjustments much like the rest for the Wirebug.

If anything it's the Apex Rath that'll give Rise Hunters the most issues. And even then, first try had it done solo.

Avatar image for deactivated-610140f603a76
deactivated-610140f603a76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By deactivated-610140f603a76
Member since 2021 • 9 Posts

@GalvatronType_R:

Cons: The industry has been on a BIGdecline recently, the companies hate their fans. the sequel is always worse than the original no matter what (That is if the original is even good in the first place.) games are riddled with in-app purchases. and the gameplay itself is either boring or filled with glitches (Even if the glitches would be fixed later, it's still so insulting to the fans to release the game when it isn't even complete yet and justify it with "We will fix it later.") And lastly, oversaturation.

Pros: Indie games and Nintendo. that's it.

4/10

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Once we get rid of Riot Games, it’ll be a perfect 10. Consumers, on the other hand, are a lost cause…