Rate Resident Evil Village

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Rate Resident Evil Village (14 votes)

8 43%
4 0%
2 0%
10 7%
7 50%
5 0%
9 0%
1 0%
6 0%
3 0%

I really liked Village. I appreciate the callbacks to 4 and how it’s more action focused from the slow steady pace of 7.

But the end sequence that Capcom ripped from Call of Duty along with the ludicrous ending took points off. Also, Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters were a bait and switch. They were heavily marketed but they’re in maybe 10%-15% of the game. I actually liked the Duke better than the vampire chicks.

7/10

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 35345 Posts

I really enjoyed the game myself. While I liked the first portion I thought the game really picked up after the castle portion and just kept going at a great pace. Really dug the twists and turns that the story took especially up to the ending. Actually made me care for Ethan as a character and am very interested in seeing where they take this story arc in the next game. Easily an 8 for me.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 10073 Posts

We already had a few of these threads but I do not mind repeating.

Would state it calls back to a lot of entries in the franchise, even the Revelation games, the 4 nods are just really on the nose.

Already did rate Village at anycase. 6.5 but GS doesn't believe in half scores so a 7. Found the pacing overall underwhelming, only one memorable section of the game, and one good boss fight (the last one). Do not think VIllage is bad, it is however not that great either.

Am glad the pursuer died early on, namely because we've had too many in the series and at this point, is overdone and becoming annoying. Lady D and her daughters are not that great either compared to past pursuers. Easily baited and exploited, only appears more threatening because we are back in first person perspective, they have weak A.I. and cannot even manage to kill me in my first hardcore run.

Lady Dimitrescu and her daughters were a bait and switch. They were heavily marketed but they’re in maybe 10%-15% of the game

Nope that was the internet being horny, look up the original trailers and it was more focused on Heisenberg and Chris Redfield. Capcom only dived on the vampire lust because the fans ate it up after a small part of a trailer being dedicated to the castle, and like any business Capcom capsulised. Supply and demand.

I actually liked the Duke better than the vampire chicks.

Duke is great, felt he was injected too much into our motives and ultimately became a plot device for bad writing. Merchant worked in 4 because the character was very hands-off.

For me Village is a pretty good/ ok video game, and a mediocre Resident Evil game. Manages to improve on VII in a lot of areas, while also being a worse entry.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12138 Posts

I voted 7. Main story is 9/10 for me but I am right now doing platinum trophy completion and mercenaries mode drags the score down hard for me.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7540 Posts

I voted 7 also I liked it more then RE7 but still nowhere near as good as the old RE games.I can't wait until this trilogy ends I hope after all the reboots they go back and take the mainline series back to third person again with the classic characters.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 28161 Posts

7/10, which feels slightly generous.

Linear, scripted, short, lazy. There's quite a few things I liked with the game, but the bad stuff soured my experience enough to not give it a better score.

Good, not great. Definitely not what I want for the next Resident Evil.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Litchie
@sakaixx said:

I voted 7. Main story is 9/10 for me but I am right now doing platinum trophy completion and mercenaries mode drags the score down hard for me.

lol wtf.

That the game even has a mercenaries mode is a bonus. Not liking it is fine, but it shouldn't lower the score. It's hard "platinuming" the game because mercenaries is hard? Giving the game a worse score for that reason is absolutely ridiculous.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 12138 Posts

@Litchie: fortunately its my rating and how I review is by my overall time with the game. Mercenaries mode sucks ass anyhow seems very luck depended. Idk maybe I am just bad at the later stages.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

Linear, scripted, short, lazy. There's quite a few things I liked with the game, but the bad stuff soured my experience enough to not give it a better score.

From a first playthrough standpoint Village is the longest entry that used the RE Engine, so short is a weird statement.

Do however think Village has a lack of reason to replay the game, and feel many the RE Engine entries did replayability much better. Did three runs on Village and got very bored, found that it all went down the same and very mundane. So on that note I heavily agree with linear and scripted, suppose the same could be stated for VII though, that too was a very linear/ on-rails experience.

the game because mercenaries is hard?

I think @sakaixx is referring to how weird the scoring system is, it requires cheesing the Merc missions to get the best scores possible. And that beats the purpose of just being good, it requires everyone to play the same, and in the exact same way. Which is lame. It's no Tofu or even a HUNK level of challenge.

We finally got Mercenaries and turned out to be lacking in a lot of areas. Only really fun to play a few times. For all the bad 5 and 6 get, they had the best Mercenaries.

*If someone wants a fun and challenging achievement run in the same manner as a Resident Evil experience? I recommend The Evil Within games. Akumu in the OG will destroy the spirits of many. And Classic Mode in TEW2 is nothing to sneeze at.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Litchie

@RSM-HQ said:
@Litchie said:

From a first playthrough standpoint Village is the longest entry that used the RE Engine, so short is a weird statement.

I do however think Village has a lack of reason to replay the game, and feel many the RE Engine entries did replayability much better. I did three runs on Village and got very bored, found that it all went down the same and very mundane. So on that note I heavily agree with linear and scripted, suppose the same could be stated for VII though, that too was a very linear/ on-rails experience.

the game because mercenaries is hard?

I think @sakaixx is referring to how weird the scoring system is, it requires cheesing the Merc missions to get the best scores possible. And that beats the purpose of just being good, it requires everyone to play the same, and in the exact same way. Which is lame. It's no Tofu or even a HUNK level of challenge.

We finally got Mercenaries and turned out to be lacking in a lot of areas. Only really fun to play a few times. For all the bad 5 and 6 get, they had the best Mercenaries.

If someone wants a fun and challenging achievement run, I recommend The Evil Within games, Akumu in the OG will destroy the spirits of many. And classic mode in TEW2 is nothing to sneeze at.

RE8 being the longest RE game that uses the RE Engine doesn't make the game feel longer to me. That just means that the other ones are even shorter. So I don't agree my short statement is weird. I do agree that the replayability of RE8 sucks, and I take that into account as well when I call it short.

I compare Village to RE4 a lot, and that game came out 2005 and was around 25-30 hours long (and had a way better and longer Mercenaries mode too). I usually don't play games that are just 8-12 hours long (except retro games), so naturally a game that costs full price and isn't longer than that will get the "short game" complaint from me, especially when I feel the game could be longer and be better for it. Couple that with the fact that the game is filled with scripted events and cutscenes..

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
@Litchie said:

RE8 being the longest RE game that uses the RE Engine doesn't make the game feel longer to me. That just means that the other ones are even shorter. So I don't agree my short statement is weird.

Personally don't think they need to be longer than Remake 2 was. Gave perfect reason to go straight into a second playthrough due to variety and choice. It's a standard length for Survival Horror as well. Village dragged on and came across as needing fat trimmed, not expanded.

I compare Village to RE4 a lot, and that game came out 2005 and was around 25-30 hours long (and had a way better and longer Mercenaries mode too).

Think my first run was around 15. I didn't do the shooting range or grab the treasures, ranges from the purpose of the playthrough though. And for what standards you set the new entry it is understandably so, Village clearly wants to be 4 in a lot of aspects.

4 is easily one of my favorite games ever, and brought back Mercenaries in a very meaningful way. However the final area/ Barracks in Resident Evil 4 was pretty bad. Bosses are solid, same with Iron Maiden, flame-man is also memorable, yet it is the least interesting part of the otherwise masterful game. Starting village and Castle are 4 at its best. 4 is an amazing game but not a good example of a game that doesn't need cutting down. For good reason not including the Ada expansions that came later.

Longest RE/ Bio entry is Veronica. It's a 30 hour game for most on a first playthrough. And in my view a very flawed game, only people I see vocally defend Veronica are people who grew-up with a Dreamcast. Upon its release was being crushed by Silent Hill 2, a game that was eight hours long.

I understand your want for more content, just don't think extended campaign length fits Resi/ Bio, or most Survival Horror games. They're better designed for replayability than outstaying our welcome.