Rank these games based on difficulty. Sekiro, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC 3, and Holy Diver.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

I'm excited to play Sekiro since I've enjoyed Dark Souls and Bloodbourne a lot. I know Sekiro takes things in a different direction but it's more that I have faith in the company to make something truly satisfying. Like Dark Souls and Bloodborne Sekiro is infamous for its difficulty. I've heard some people say Sekiro is more like Ninja Gaiden Black which I've been playing a lot lately and I'd actually say I like it even more than Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Ninja Gaiden is also infamous for its difficulty.

I was curious how people would rank these games based on difficulty, and decided to through in DMC 3 (another infamously hard hack n slash) and Holy Diver (Infamously hard famicom game). Also fyi I dont personally find all these games difficult but they have reputations for difficulty regardless of my experiences.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I've read many claim the Europe version of Devil May Cry 3 had hard difficulty as the standard normal. Even then from my experience always found Ninja Gaiden: Black/ Sigma to be a step above Devil May Cry 3. However I've never had the European version, so someone else may need to clear that up.

Dark Souls are not as challenging as these games in my personal opinion, so it's not a fair comparison in that area. DkS series have far more breathing room, and ways to exploit the A.I. Same with Bloodborne

Cannot speak for Sekiro, my time was brief with the game and was too close to Tenchu for my personal liking. What I did play however was not that difficult. I chopped down this mini boss guy who breaths a poison mist on his blade with no issues.

Never read of Holy Diver but if it's on a Famicom? Must assume it's the hardest game listed. But also an extremely different experience to the 3D Action RPGs and Hack n' Slash games above.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#3 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

DMC3 it depends ... the original edition is quite difficult, Bloodborne difficult but the second edition with Vergil as a playable caracter is so easy that it is a joke.

And in term of difficulty ... I think Dark Souls, then 2, 3 then Bloodborne and then Sekiro. I haven't played the other games.

I only put DS above Bloodborne because you have more stuff to deal with like the weight of your equipment etc which isn't something to worry in Bloodborne.

Sekiro is just having good reflex it is like playing DMC 3 guard style ( can't remember the name )

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DoomNukem3D

@clefdefa: Is the special edition of DMC 3 less difficult? That version seems more popular.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Probably dark souls series, bloodborne then sekiro. Never played the NES game. Only put Dark souls franchise above bloodborne even though ds2 and 3 is a bit easier is due in bloodborne to you can have up to 29 blood vials. Those extra blood vials makes orphan of kos fight very easy.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DoomNukem3D

@sakaixx: I feel like I'd say Bloodborne was slightly harder for me than Dark Souls just because of the second to last boss fight (the one before Moon presence) which I think I recall being the hardest part for me, while I recall Dark Souls getting easier past the halfway point.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RSM-HQ
@doomnukem3d said:

@clefdefa: Is the special edition of DMC 3 less difficult? That version seems more popular.

Special Edition added Vergil as a playable character with new cutscenes.

And let the player plug in a second controller for another person to play as the doppelganger, and Vergil during the second from last chapter.

It is less difficult but only comparingly to the European original version, which had Hard mode set to Normal. Apparently it was a code glitch for the PAL region and not intended by Capcom anyway.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DoomNukem3D

@RSM-HQ: I think I read they added difficulties though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RSM-HQ
@doomnukem3d said:

@RSM-HQ: I think I read they added difficulties though.

I have the platinum on DMC3 Special Edition and trying to recall the changes.

Jester is added as a reoccurring boss, though very forced and not exactly challenging, but I honestly don't recall difficulty changes. I think the time ability being nerfed to be less exploitable.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

@RSM-HQ@doomnukem3D: Dunno here in Canada we had two version for DMC3. The original game and not long after they re-released it as part of the Greatess hits series which added Vergil, second player and a few new cut scene like you said.

The original version easiest setting was like the hard setting for the Greatess hits, it was stupid hard unless you manage to get good with RoyalGuard.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ

@clefdefa: Hmm I've only read about the difficulty code error being in the European versions but if that's wrong? Just means the source I read was incorrect.

Had the original DMC3 on PS2 as well, don't recall Normal mode giving me much issue to what I expected. Though am someone who uses Royal Guard commonly. My copy was the CERO version of the game though, so again it's a confusing error on Capcoms part.

All I know with confidence is every version of Special Edition was easier and normal is actually Normal mode, no matter ones region of purchase.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#12 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Hmm...in order, based on my experience, from easiest to hardest:

1. DMC 3
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. Bloodborne
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Ninja Gaiden Black
  6. Battletoads :P
Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Aritifical difficultly Bloodborne...

Actual difficultly DMC3

Stupidiest difficultly Ninja Gaiden

I don't like this video game verse where the souls people monopolize the concept... soe something tells me they got smoked as in beat up /defeated quite a few times in the early PS2 days by one thing or another

and all of the 2013-2015 years of burrowing hardcoreism is the era where I have come closest to hating being a video game fan...

Video game difficultly is now under tighter control/supervision then Ft. Knox well maybe not but it's sad...

Now all the popular games are Mario and stuff all over again becaus e both hardcore and casual game fans agree that they work...

Ah well.. maybe one day.

The fact that you really couldn't even say "there's disagreement about the value of the souls series" until recently is indicative of their efforts on that front.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Ninja Gaiden Black definitely at the bottom. It wasn't that hard. Definitely not as difficult as the other games mentioned

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DoomNukem3D

@cejay0813: Seems like everyone else including me disagrees :p

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DoomNukem3D

@mastermetal777: Lol When I saw your list I assumed it was hardest to easiest and was like wtf.