This topic is locked from further discussion.

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 nailerr
Member since 2006 • 214 Posts

Simple question, not sure how to put it to Google.
Some games rate you after each level, and in some cases the top rank, over A is S.  What is this about?  I'd often wondered with DMC3 but I just got it in Advance Wars and now I want to know what it is referring to.

Cheers!

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

It stands for ShenlongBo 8)

Fact.

zeppelin6591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 zeppelin6591
Member since 2005 • 1332 Posts
Supergood? I don't know.
nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nailerr
Sweet, I play games as good as a mod.  Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!nailerr

you act as if they hand out the position on the basis of your videogames skill level, if that were the case Jonas, Dark Catalyst, and Spirit of 87' would all be Gmods. Anyway I think my status is depreciating just from having posted in this particular thread.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!nailerr

you act as if hand out the position on the basis of your videogames skill level, if that were the case Jonas, Dark Catalyst, and Spirit of 87' would all be Gmods. Anyway I think my status is depreciating just from having posted in this particular thread.

The depreciation might also stem from your being a moron.

so now we resort to name calling 

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nailerr
[QUOTE="nailerr"][QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!HiResDes

you act as if hand out the position on the basis of your videogames skill level, if that were the case Jonas, Dark Catalyst, and Spirit of 87' would all be Gmods. Anyway I think my status is depreciating just from having posted in this particular thread.

--edited--

I'll stop being argumentative because I know it will get us nowhere fast.  I'm stuck on a night shift and probably reacting with un-required stupidity, you took my previous post the wrong way and that is all.  I really do not see what I said as coming off as plain idiotic, but perhaps it does.  It was just a silly joke.
We'll drop it there yeah?  Misunderstanding.

Ritard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Ritard
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts
Rank S probably stands for Super or something.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"][QUOTE="nailerr"][QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!nailerr

--edited--

I'll stop being argumentative because I know it will get us nowhere fast. I'm stuck on a night shift and probably reacting with un-required stupidity, you took my previous post the wrong way and that is all. I really do not see what I said as coming off as plain idiotic, but perhaps it does. It was just a silly joke.
We'll drop it there yeah? Misunderstanding.

Yeah sorry, I overreacted a bit, I just got irritated when I thought you were doing a little brown nosing. However, now I understand that you were just kidding around.  

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nailerr

Rank S probably stands for Super or something. Ritard

It's just that since the usual A B C and so on are used in the ranking system it would appear S does not directly stand for anything, at least it would not make much sense.  I wondered if perhaps S is a particular value in Japan, as if an A+.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I've always figured it stood for "Superb".
rodri_ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rodri_ng
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
Superb?   or   Superior?
nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nailerr
Perhaps it simply is that then.  A bit of Googling has thus fur gotten me nowhere with the topic, only guides on how to acheive S in the games.  Perhaps I should just keep playing Dual Strike rather than question it's mechanics.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!HiResDes

you act as if they hand out the position on the basis of your videogames skill level, if that were the case Jonas, Dark Catalyst, and Spirit of 87' would all be Gmods. Anyway I think my status is depreciating just from having posted in this particular thread.

DarkCatalyst was a mod until he resigned.

But yes, I'm living proof that being a moderator has nothing to do with skill level. Was a mod for a while, and I don't think I've ever been anything but extremely average at videogames. Competitive, but average.

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nailerr
[QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!Oilers99

But yes, I'm living proof that being a moderator has nothing to do with skill level. Was a mod for a while, and I don't think I've ever been anything but extremely average at videogames. Competitive, but average.

No, no no no.  That's all resolved now - lets move on with the trivial topic of origin please!

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="HiResDes"]

No, no no no. That's all resolved now - lets move on with the trivial topic of origin please!

Because there's an endless stream of fascinating discussion about what some arbitrary letter stands for?

The content of a thread is not dictated by the thread topic. It doesn't really matter if this thread goes in a totally different direction.

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nailerr
[QUOTE="nailerr"][QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="nailerr"]Sweet, I play games as good as a mod. Soon I will be reaping the benifits of the status!Oilers99

No, no no no. That's all resolved now - lets move on with the trivial topic of origin please!

Because there's an endless stream of fascinating discussion about what some arbitrary letter stands for?

The content of a thread is not dictated by the thread topic. It doesn't really matter if this thread goes in a totally different direction.

Ah man people usually just plain ignore anything I say, even when the topic has some meat and research to it.  Other times...
I may cry soon, it's ok.  Talk amongst yourselves while I eat a bucket of ice-cream, rocking back and forth..

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nailerr

Mind you, this was NOT one of those researched topics at all.  And come to that sir I CHALLANGE YOU!

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="nailerr"]

nailerr

Ah man people usually just plain ignore anything I say, even when the topic has some meat and research to it. Other times...
I may cry soon, it's ok. Talk amongst yourselves while I eat a bucket of ice-cream, rocking back and forth..

It's okay. A lot of people react poorly to my avatar. :P

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nailerr

Using the 360's Vision cam in video chat you can actually pull an unnervingly accurate take on that very avatar using the green outline filter.  Scares people to death if you manage to do so before they join.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShenlongBo

HiResDes

First this...

Yeah sorry, I overreacted a bit, I just got irritated when I thought you were doing a little brown nosing. However, now I understand that you were just kidding around.  

HiResDes

Then this... *shakes head*

Hate to bring up old stuff, especially since you two already resolved it, but I can't help but point out the irony here.  Takes one to know one?  ;) All good, though.

Since we haven't decided on what the S should stand for, I nominate the word sick!  Anyone?

Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
Beats the heck out of me. It's even more confounding when there's games with SS or SSS rank. Like, "Super Special"? "Super Special Sundae"? "We decided to add an extra letter so that players feel better about themselves"?
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

Since we haven't decided on what the S should stand for, I nominate the word sick! Anyone?

ShenlongBo

My vote is for Spatula. It's just a very cool word, one that I personally believe should become indoctrined into popular gaming culture as an expression of greatness.

"Hey Generic-Named-Example 1, how're you going with your game of DMC4?"

"Great, Generic-Named-Example 2, I've got spatula for the last boss!"

"Man, that's totally blender!"

Then again, maybe I need to get out more.

ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ShenlongBo

:D Super Special Sundae FTW!

And you're right that spatula is way underused in gaming.  We'll have to make a poll :P

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HiResDes
[QUOTE="HiResDes"]you act as if hand out the position on the basis of your videogames skill level, if that were the case Jonas, Dark Catalyst, and Spirit of 87' would all be Gmods. Anyway I think my status is depreciating just from having posted in this particular thread.

ShenlongBo

First this...

HiResDes

Then this... *shakes head*

Hate to bring up old stuff, especially since you two already resolved it, but I can't help but point out the irony here.  Takes one to know one?  ;) All good, though.

Since we haven't decided on what the S should stand for, I nominate the word sick!  Anyone?

Uhh You're Completely offbase, I mistake my being informative for brown-nosing, Dark Catalyst and Jonas Compete and do very well in various fighting game tournaments, and Spirit of 87 is ranked a few various shooting games (as in 2d shooters I believe).

nailerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nailerr

I know!  SPOON!  That works just like The Tick would of intended.

Kicked arse?  SPOON!
Dante murdered hell? SS?  SPOON!  SPOON!! SPOON!!!