Random Legacy Platform Gaming Thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

This is the thread to post random thoughts or comments about Legacy Platform gaming that might not deserve it's own thread.

I just played Silpheed for PS2 and it is a surprisingly good shmup!

I bought it like a year or two ago for only $1.99 because it was one of those tier deals where the more games you buy the more you save and I needed just one more game to seal the deal. $1.99 was the cheapest game I could find. It has just sat in my unplayed pile ever since, becaise I expected such a discounted game to suck.

I'm glad I got it, now. High production values for a shmup with slick graphics and a lots of action.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

This is the thread to post random thoughts or comments about Legacy Platform gaming that might not deserve it's own thread.

I just played Silpheed for PS2 and it is a surprisingly good shmup!

I bought it like a year or two ago for only $1.99 because it was one of those tier deals where the more games you buy the more you save and I needed just one more game to seal the deal. $1.99 was the cheapest game I could find. It has just sat in my unplayed pile ever since, becaise I expected such a discounted game to suck.

I'm glad I got it, now. High production values for a shmup with slick graphics and a lots of action.

Emerald_Warrior

if you have a Mega CD , you might want to try the Mega CD version , its a pretty good game, great music too.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

919096_53648_thumb.jpg

First console game i've played which is almost impossible to play with a gamepad. I know purists would say "use a wheel", but it's like they didn't even bother honing the cars reactions for the standard dualshock. People say the game is hard but i doubt it really is, it's just got stupid control responsiveness.

Glad i only spent a quid on it.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Just tried Splinter cell chaos theory versus mode and I was kicked for being too bad (first time playing...) :cry:

z3zim4

I hate people who do that. I understand kicking people who muck around, people who mess up a game on-purpose, but everyone needs to start somewhere, and that kind of intollerance bugs the crap out of me... What system were you plaing it on? Obviously not Xbox... PS2?

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="z3zim4"]

Just tried Splinter cell chaos theory versus mode and I was kicked for being too bad (first time playing...) :cry:

MonkeySpot

I hate people who do that. I understand kicking people who muck around, people who mess up a game on-purpose, but everyone needs to start somewhere, and that kind of intollerance bugs the crap out of me... What system were you plaing it on? Obviously not Xbox... PS2?

I kinda side with the booter's in such situations. It's ridiculous to go play something online that you haven't practiced first offline, especially if it's a team-based thing.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

919096_53648_thumb.jpg

First console game i've played which is almost impossible to play with a gamepad. I know purists would say "use a wheel", but it's like they didn't even bother honing the cars reactions for the standard dualshock. People say the game is hard but i doubt it really is, it's just got stupid control responsiveness.

Glad i only spent a quid on it.

BarbaricAvatar
Man, get it on PC! It's one of the best racing sims out there and has a massive modding community on PC. It sucks on PS2 and Xbox. The physics engine is actually outstanding, and if you use a proper force feedback wheel with it, you will find the game much more fulfilling. It's still hard as balls though.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot

I am really impressed with the presentation & gameplay on "Front Mission 3". It is BEAUTIFUL. The cut scenes are really polished, and I am enjoying this game as if it were made this year, as apposed to the 13 year-old game it actually IS. I've had it for awhile, just broke into it today on my PSP as I was looking for a portable surrogate for "XCOM: Enemy Unknown", and I have worn out "FF Tactics" (as have most folks who've played it! :P ).

Pretty Random.

:D

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Came across a phyiscal copy of House of the Typing Dead last week. I looked it up online weird idea.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I am really impressed with the presentation & gameplay on "Front Mission 3". It is BEAUTIFUL. The cut scenes are really polished, and I am enjoying this game as if it were made this year, as apposed to the 13 year-old game it actually IS. I've had it for awhile, just broke into it today on my PSP as I was looking for a portable surrogate for "XCOM: Enemy Unknown", and I have worn out "FF Tactics" (as have most folks who've played it! :P ).

Pretty Random.

:D

MonkeySpot

Front Mission 3 is great, I never did beat it on PS1 though. I have it on PSP and started playing it again but got distracted, need to get back to it.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emerald_Warrior

I want more games with the depth and storytelling of a good JRPG, but with the addicting real-time gamplay of a good action-RPG.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserably
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="rilpas"]I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserably

there is a virtual machine, but you need the original Win95 discs for it.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot

I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserablyrilpas

Yeah, I have a copy of "Ultimate DOOM Collection" which won't run on Vista... I figured, someone has to make a patch/emu for this, but no... It'll run on my XP machine, but not on Vista.

:(

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="rilpas"]I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserablyMonkeySpot

Yeah, I have a copy of "Ultimate DOOM Collection" which won't run on Vista... I figured, someone has to make a patch/emu for this, but no... It'll run on my XP machine, but not on Vista.

:(

then get a Virtual Machine, it will run fine there. of course you will need the original disc, but how you get it , is something else.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserably

heh, those discs are long gone
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]I just finished the saturn version of Quake, I think I'm the first person to do this in years :P Also, someone should make a windows 95 emulator, just spent the entire day trying to get an old PC game to run... failed miserably

how you get them , is something else. its really the only way to get the thing to run although Ive heard of some people installing Win95 on Dosbox, since if you remember win95 just sat on top of DOS , as did 98
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] there is a virtual machine, but you need the original Win95 discs for it.Darkman2007

how you get them , is something else. its really the only way to get the thing to run although Ive heard of some people installing Win95 on Dosbox, since if you remember win95 just sat on top of DOS , as did 98

that's what I spent the entire day doing.

I used an iso image of Windows 95, but after it installed it told me that there was a windows security error, after my third attempt with a three different iso images I gave up.

I wanted to record gameplay of a digital manga game created by sunsoft that amazingly, the entire internet seems to have forgotten it ever existed.

the only proof I could find that it ever really existed (besides my physical copy) were a few reviews posted in the late 90's by websites that have been long since abandoned :P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"] heh, those discs are long gonerilpas

I used an iso image of Windows 95, but after it installed it told me that there was a windows security error, after my third attempt with a three different iso images I gave up.

I wanted to record gameplay of a digital manga game created by sunsoft that amazingly, the entire internet seems to have forgotten it ever existed.

the only proof I could find that it ever really existed (besides my physical copy) were a few reviews posted in the late 90's by websites that have been long since abandoned :P

if you have that , you can install it on a virtual machine.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] how you get them , is something else. its really the only way to get the thing to run although Ive heard of some people installing Win95 on Dosbox, since if you remember win95 just sat on top of DOS , as did 98Darkman2007

I might try again on the weekend, but for today, I'm done :P

EDIT: The Virtual machine doesn't work as well for me as I was planing on recording gameplay through dos-box' video recorder

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]that's what I spent the entire day doing.

rilpas

the only problem is that from what Ive seen , win95 in a virtual machine doesn't really recognise a modern graphics card ,so if videos of GLQuake were planned, forget them (although GLQuake and D3DQuake work just ine on Win7)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] if you have that , you can install it on a virtual machine.Darkman2007

the only problem is that from what Ive seen , win95 in a virtual machine doesn't really recognise a modern graphics card ,so if videos of GLQuake were planned, forget them (although GLQuake and D3DQuake work just ine on Win7)

also I was going to use Dos-box' video recorder, without that I'm not really sure how I'm going to record footage

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

also I was going to use Dos-box' video recorder, without that I'm not really sure how I'm going to record footage

that gives me an idea for a gameplay video :P btw, notice we are talking about Dosbox and not getting thrown out of here, I guess since even developers are using it in their retro rereleases on GOG or Steam makes it ok
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the only problem is that from what Ive seen , win95 in a virtual machine doesn't really recognise a modern graphics card ,so if videos of GLQuake were planned, forget them (although GLQuake and D3DQuake work just ine on Win7)Darkman2007

that gives me an idea for a gameplay video :P btw, notice we are talking about Dosbox and not getting thrown out of here, I guess since even developers are using it in their retro rereleases on GOG or Steam makes it ok

gotta love that double standard :P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

rilpas

can't blame them though , it saves them money on making their own emulator, and it does the job well. and yes, pretty much any collection on a console for instance , uses an emulator, just one built by the developer.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] that gives me an idea for a gameplay video :P btw, notice we are talking about Dosbox and not getting thrown out of here, I guess since even developers are using it in their retro rereleases on GOG or Steam makes it okDarkman2007

can't blame them though , it saves them money on making their own emulator, and it does the job well. and yes, pretty much any collection on a console for instance , uses an emulator, just one built by the developer.

I actually tested the dos-box recorder today, noticed there weren't that many videos of the PC version of Primal Rage.

a shame that the recorder doesn't record in HD, I was playing the game at 1440x900

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

rilpas

I actually tested the dos-box recorder today, noticed there weren't that many videos of the PC version of Primal Rage.

a shame that the recorder doesn't record in HD, I was playing the game at 1440x900

well , you get what you pay for I guess.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] can't blame them though , it saves them money on making their own emulator, and it does the job well. and yes, pretty much any collection on a console for instance , uses an emulator, just one built by the developer.Darkman2007

well , you get what you pay for I guess.

Zing! :P

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#29 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks this, but in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, doesn't it sound weird the say Lucas and Tyler say "three", like when you're saving the boy with Lucas, or when you're working out using Tyler, and just the way they say the word "three", sounds kinda like "twee", I dunno, just kinda sounds weird how they say it, it's been bugging me for ages, especially now that I'm replaying the game.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Does anyone know the secret to beating Square's Tactics games (Ogre and Final Fantasy)? Is it just grind and grind some more?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Mario Kart: Super Circuit is perhaps the most underrated game in the series.

Anyways school has gotten in the way of me playing games in my collection so I've been playing Fire Emblem for the GBA.

Looks like next year I will finish my GC collection. Still need Pikmin games (although I might just get the Wii versions), Baten Kaitos Origins, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, RE0, Luigi's Mansion, Killer 7, and Viewtiful Joe 2.

And for some reason I want to get DBZ Boudokai 3 for the PS2 since I did play the first two back then.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonkeySpot

I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks this, but in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, doesn't it sound weird the say Lucas and Tyler say "three", like when you're saving the boy with Lucas, or when you're working out using Tyler, and just the way they say the word "three", sounds kinda like "twee", I dunno, just kinda sounds weird how they say it, it's been bugging me for ages, especially now that I'm replaying the game.Dudersaper

That's what happens when you hire French-Canadian actors to imitate American voices... I loved "Indigo Prophecy". Great game. But the French-Canadian actors, ugh. Stick to French. If they need voices from California to Alabama, Baltimore to NYC, I'm available.

:)

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks this, but in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, doesn't it sound weird the say Lucas and Tyler say "three", like when you're saving the boy with Lucas, or when you're working out using Tyler, and just the way they say the word "three", sounds kinda like "twee", I dunno, just kinda sounds weird how they say it, it's been bugging me for ages, especially now that I'm replaying the game.MonkeySpot

That's what happens when you hire French-Canadian actors to imitate American voices... I loved "Indigo Prophecy". Great game. But the French-Canadian actors, ugh. Stick to French. If they need voices from California to Alabama, Baltimore to NYC, I'm available.

Ah, so that's why :P I love the game (even though the ending is kinda all over the place), but that was just a little thing that I always found weird in the game :P
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BarbaricAvatar

Quite drunk. Playing XG3: Extreme-G Racing. Loving it.

I never play it when sober. :P

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonkeySpot

Does anyone know the secret to beating Square's Tactics games (Ogre and Final Fantasy)? Is it just grind and grind some more?

Business_Fun

Well, you need to develope the skills of your people, and grinding is one way to do it, I suppose... Have you tried placing an individual thread about these games? There are a lot of people here (in Legacy Forums) who can help I am most-certain, but maybe they're not in this thread... Post up an individual thread about it because honestly I cannot remember when the last time someone did (and I've been here for YEARS) so it's not like you'll be asking a FAQ and people will jump your shee-ot, you'll get some answers. Legacy Forums folk are pretty nice, and helpful most of the time.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BarbaricAvatar

It just reminded me when posting in the Ico topic.

Mercenaries (1) had the worst AI i've encountered in a game. It wasn't that the characters were scripted or had their movements restricted through lack of programming or anything like that, it was the complete and utter lack of INTELLIGENCE.

The final straw was about halfway through the game when i think i had to rescue some scientists from a prison/camp. Got there in good time, took out the defences, landed my helicopter and all they had to do was get on quickly before the ground troops arrived.

I recall yelling at the TV: "Just get in the %&$£#ng copter!" as most of them preferred to run laps around the outside and get themselves shot. I tried 3 times to rescue them and they just didn't recognise my existence.

One of the few games that other players wet themselves in excitement over and i just didn't see the attraction. Gamespot average says 9/10, i say 5.5/10.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonkeySpot

Mercenaries (1) had the worst AI i've encountered in a game.

The final straw was about halfway through the game when i think i had to rescue some scientists from a prison/camp. Got there in good time, took out the defences, landed my helicopter and all they had to do was get on quickly before the ground troops arrived.

I recall yelling at the TV: "Just get in the %&$£#ng copter!" as most of them preferred to run laps around the outside and get themselves shot.

BarbaricAvatar

*Affects Arnold S. Voice* "Get to dah CHOPPAHHHH!!!"

:lol:

Yeah, never quite understood the high marks that game got. I played it for an hour or two then gave it to my roommate at the time.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dudersaper
I actually really like the Mercenaries games, not saying they're amazing, but they are lots of fun, especially blowing the hell out of buildings and everything. I prefer the first over the second, the missions seemed more interesting imo, and we could find some of the wanted guys at random, not just in missions.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonkeySpot

I actually really like the Mercenaries games, not saying they're amazing, but they are lots of fun, especially blowing the hell out of buildings and everything. I prefer the first over the second, the missions seemed more interesting imo, and we could find some of the wanted guys at random, not just in missions.Dudersaper

Oh, there's no question that the 1st game is superior to the second, my roomie tried to play that one and literally shot it full of holes until it shattered with his pellet gun!

:lol:

I think I was just not in the right space, at the time, to play games like that. I had a phase where I got rid of all my GTAs, etc., in some form of misguided one-man protest or other nonsense.

:oops:

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I want another fun action mech game like Mechwarrior or Mechassault.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rilpas

just played Virtua Fighter, Virtua Fighter remix and Virtua Fighter 2 back to back

it's amazing how remix makes VF 1 seem obsolete and how VF 2 makes Remix seem obsolete

and it's even more amazing that all three of them were released during the same year in the west :P

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I want more games with the depth and storytelling of a good JRPG, but with the addicting real-time gamplay of a good action-RPG.

Emerald_Warrior
Sums up what I think of the current consoles perfectly.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Emerald_Warrior

I want another fun action mech game like Mechwarrior or Mechassault. Eikichi-Onizuka

+1

I would LOVE to see MechAssault 3.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BarbaricAvatar

Amused at "Shenmue_Jehuty"'s new Legacy Wii topic (locked).

It only counts as legacy on GS once the sectioned forums are shut-down. ;)

The PS2 section was locked a long time ago, therefore Legacy is the ONLY place to talk about it. Count yourself lucky the Wii section is alive and well. :D

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BarbaricAvatar

The stealth missions in "Fireblade" are really freakin awful. There's nowhere to 'hide' (obvious really being that you can't make a helicopter quiet), and your route is an unmarked corridor which you can't stray any distance out of.

The controls are wrong and unchangeable too. Haven't got off to the best of starts with this game!

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dudersaper
So this person was selling .hack//Outbreak for 7 on a site, and I asked if it came complete, but he said that it didn't have the bonu CD, and I then passed up on the opportunity, since it' pretty much impossible to get the bonus CD somewhere else, and I'd have to buy the game again for completion sake. And now the game is no longer on the site, I'm guessing he's already sold it. Still debating if I regret that or not.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Started replaying Final Fantasy XII the other day and within the first five minutes I noticed a couple of things that would have never made it past the marketing department / focus groups that create all of today's games. The odd little items that give a game its character, which is so utterly missing from all current gen stuff.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BarbaricAvatar

Still playing Valkyrie Profile 2. Passed 50 hours earlier this evening and having a great time still. Mostly likely because it's not the usual JRPG fare; the combat is fun for a start and even though the cutscenes are often insanely long, they're not too frequent (I'd go so far as saying it's not an RPG).

Anyway, that's not the point. It has one of the best soundtracks i've heard on the PS2, but it's just thrown a curveball by introducing some Prog Rock into the mix! Reeeeally doesn't suit the game but it did make me smile as i wasn't expecting anything of the sort. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWAGs7zkwo

Lordofinternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lordofinternet
Member since 2012 • 218 Posts
I have to wonder how they goofed on the CD-I, which is clearly more powerful then every other 4th gen sans maybe the PC at the time, with the ability to use pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds, and still have 2D slightly worse than the Genesis in most of its games. Heck, the Zelda games are probably in the top 10 best graphics on the thing not FMV. I also have to wonder why the N64 had no soundchip making it so virtually every console 5th gen had better sound and Cpu usage. A basic soundchip that the SNES had with slight enhancements would have made a large difference. Also for those thinking that the Dreamcast Controller is actually good, I have to ask you why, I have seen you guys speak of how you think its great, but most games on the DC have some annoying problems because of it, camera being the second biggest issue. I sometimes wonder about why Dragon Quest is completely ignored outside Japan and in certain parts of japan. It's basically first person final fantasy with more elements and Final Fantasy rakes in the dough. Could it be outside japan DQ1-4 were getting stable attention because it didn't become heavily anime based? Ok that might make sense in game, but then why did Square skip out on certain FF and DQ games 3rd and 4th gen? Heck they released Chrono Trigger, which had less of a chance then a FF or DQ game at that time of hitting big. I wonder what the excuse was? I realized that for people who wanted a Mvs.C 3 and a Megaman legends 3 did not see the obvious downfall that would come from that. Megaman Legends 2 was terrible, and a lot of elements from Mvs.C1 were removed in Marvel Vs.C2. Not to mention virtually known of the console ports had good fluid controls on it. I wonder how far the Neogeo would have went if it was cheaper. The intial cost kinda made sense for games and the hardware but they kept it consistent for around 10 years or so and at the 5 year point it just never made sense why they were still throwing that system and its games for the insane prices. Makes even less sense when you consider the price of NeoGeo CD which ran comparable hardware, with CD audio, yet the original system still costs an arm and a leg. I don't get how anyone thinks Resident Evil is even a horror game and why they complain about Resi 5 and 6 when many people favorite game in the series was 4, which pretty much went into TPS mode in the first place, and even farther from a horror game than 1, 2, and 3. I personally think Silent hill, Deadly Prem, Fatal Frame, etc. are all closer to horror games, with Silent Hill actually being closest. Nintendo likes Square shaped controllers GBpocket, Nes etc.. Why? Even presently, the Wii was Square Shaped(controller) the DS was, etc. There are no ergonomics in that at all. I wonder if they will ever make another large budget Pac-Man game? In 3D? We never really had a 3D Megaman(classic) or Bomberman Game, I wonder why that is? The Sega CD was actually not that bad, Sonic CD basically saved the thing from early death, if they supported it more and dropped just a tad of regular Genesis support it could have been big. The Jaguars tech was impressive for what they got out of it at the time sans all its bottlenecks, and yet the 3DO company released a console with similar specs with some improvements, noted this, decided to just go with it, and charger 40000times more for it with acessories than the Jaguar? The biggest thing was it outsold it as well, so if they had made the console price cheaper....
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#50 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I have to wonder how they goofed on the CD-I, which is clearly more powerful then every other 4th gen sans maybe the PC at the time, with the ability to use pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds, and still have 2D slightly worse than the Genesis in most of its games. Heck, the Zelda games are probably in the top 10 best graphics on the thing not FMV.

I also have to wonder why the N64 had no soundchip making it so virtually every console 5th gen had better sound and Cpu usage. A basic soundchip that the SNES had with slight enhancements would have made a large difference.

Also for those thinking that the Dreamcast Controller is actually good, I have to ask you why, I have seen you guys speak of how you think its great, but most games on the DC have some annoying problems because of it, camera being the second biggest issue.Lordofinternet

The Dreamcast controller was very progressive for its time, though it may not have aged all that well today. What made the DC controller stand out at the time was its innovation. It was the first game controller with analogue shoulder buttons, which has since been imitated by nearly every controller since. It was also the first game controller with a screen on it, anticipating the Wii U by well over a decade. The DC controller layout itself also became the basis for the Xbox controllers. In other words, the DC controller was a pretty important evolution of game controller design.

The DC controller's only real flaw was the lack of a second analog stick, but you have to keep in mind that the FPS genre wasn't all that popular on consoles at the time, and the only ones that were popular (GoldenEye and Perfect Dark) could be played with a single analog stick. A second analog stick wasn't all that necessary at the time, so it wasn't a deal-breaker at all for most gamers back then.

I sometimes wonder about why Dragon Quest is completely ignored outside Japan and in certain parts of japan. It's basically first person final fantasy with more elements and Final Fantasy rakes in the dough. Could it be outside japan DQ1-4 were getting stable attention because it didn't become heavily anime based? Ok that might make sense in game, but then why did Square skip out on certain FF and DQ games 3rd and 4th gen? Heck they released Chrono Trigger, which had less of a chance then a FF or DQ game at that time of hitting big. I wonder what the excuse was?Lordofinternet

There were other key differences between FF and DQ. One such difference was the interface: In DQ, you always had to bring up a menu to talk to people or examine for items, whereas in FF it was more user-friendly, with just a single button that does everything. But the big differences mainly started to appear with FF IV: The presentation in FF began looking more colourful, the battles started becoming Active Time-Based, the protagonist no longer remained silent but freely spoke his mind, and the plot in general became thick with melodrama and lots of dialogues.

Still, it's unfortunate DQ V wasn't released in North America, because that was arguably the best one in the series. Its narrative and characterization, while not as melodramatic or plot-heavy as the FF games, was a lot more interesting than any FF game of that era, and even rivals FF VI in my opinion. DQ V also introduced the monster-capturing mechanic that would later gain popularity in the late 90s. I can only assume that it's because the first four DQ games weren't all that successful in NA that Enix decided not to localize DQ V, a pretty big missed opportunity.

I realized that for people who wanted a Mvs.C 3 and a Megaman legends 3 did not see the obvious downfall that would come from that. Megaman Legends 2 was terrible, and a lot of elements from Mvs.C1 were removed in Marvel Vs.C2. Not to mention virtually known of the console ports had good fluid controls on it.

I wonder how far the Neogeo would have went if it was cheaper. The intial cost kinda made sense for games and the hardware but they kept it consistent for around 10 years or so and at the 5 year point it just never made sense why they were still throwing that system and its games for the insane prices. Makes even less sense when you consider the price of NeoGeo CD which ran comparable hardware, with CD audio, yet the original system still costs an arm and a leg.

I don't get how anyone thinks Resident Evil is even a horror game and why they complain about Resi 5 and 6 when many people favorite game in the series was 4, which pretty much went into TPS mode in the first place, and even farther from a horror game than 1, 2, and 3. I personally think Silent hill, Deadly Prem, Fatal Frame, etc. are all closer to horror games, with Silent Hill actually being closest.Lordofinternet

The thing about RE4 is that it struck a balance between TPS action and survival horror, without swinging too much in either direction. But more importantly, it was just a pretty damn fine action-adventure game, regardless of the genre it belongs to. It's the kind of game that all kinds of gamers could enjoy playing, regardless of whether they belong to the action or horror camp. The same cannot be said for RE5, which is pretty much just an all-out TPS action game, with hardly anything in it for horror fans. As for RE6, I still haven't played it yet, so I have no idea about that one.