FovereverAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 FovereverAlone
Member since 2018 • 47 Posts

They're just so repetitive and boring ! they require no strategy or tactics,you're just repeating the same action for hundreds times until you reach the boss.Honestly,it feels like a slow paced turn-based diablo without the loot.

I have tried many JRPGs,i like them,but i always reach a point where i gave up on them because random encounters.The last one i tried was FF6,the encounter rate in Zozo was making me sick so i gave up again.

I can play Strategy rpgs like shining force just fine because the battles are actually fun and challenging,and they're not repetitive at all.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29225 Posts

I really don’t mind them myself unless the encounter rate is absurdly high. I think there was perhaps only one game that it annoyed me although I can’t really recall what game that was.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#3 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2258 Posts

It’s never really bothered me but sometimes in DQ it’s nice knowing that the enemies either come to you or you come to them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

I don't mind them but it would be nice if they had options to control the frequency, difficulty, and/or toggle it off.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 8906 Posts

The concept varies from game-to-game. It's suspense of the 'unexpected' which some people find exciting. I usually don't care for it, because it's only a surprise the first few times for me. Much prefer well programmed radiant A.I. for that kind of sensation.

However don't think everyone finds random battles "boring/ repetitive"; as those two words could work for anyone and everything, as it's vague and self-valued.

Example, I think openworlds/ sandbox games by default are boring and repetitive. Turning everything into walking simulators makes these games chores to me. Yet a few people swear by that genre/ game design choice.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6753 Posts

Random encounter is cool... if you have ways to turn off it. Some games have this mechanics where you can buy items at store that will make enemy dissapear if you are above a certain level. In Bravely default you can just outright disable encounter.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12146 Posts

I don't mind the occurrence so much as the frequency. God, it's almost always ludicrously high... when you just want to go from point A to point B and it slams you every 10 paces with the same music and "staging animations" (cough FFX cough)...

Devs need to learn restraint with the system and build in more variety in the music and cinematics

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2258 Posts

@xantufrog: On tablet so cant quote but FFX came to my mind instantly as well. Lol.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3043 Posts

I’m in agreement TC. If a random enemy didn’t spawn every 3 steps, then perhaps I’d be enjoying the genre more. I want to talk to characters as well as enjoy the game, not be bothered by the same stuff over and over again.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1365 Posts

I don't mind it to be honest. You can escape anyway

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79707 Posts

I miss the days that I'm struggling to get to a save point, and I'm almost there, with no MP and barely any HP left, and then I randomly encounter a malboro.... /sarcasm

But yeah, I'm currently going through Secret of Mana, and I think this is the perfect blend of encountering: you see all the monsters, but you pretty much have to engage them unless you want to run by after getting a few scrapes.

FovereverAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FovereverAlone
Member since 2018 • 47 Posts

i think Dunkey nailed it in his octopath video

Loading Video...

Turn based doesn't work with trash mobs(easy and repetitive fights),that's why random encounters in jrpgs become a slog real fast.

Imagine playing diablo in turn based.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 2596 Posts

I much prefer the Persona or Dragon Quest approach but it's not that big of a deal when there are random encounters in JRPG's. Half the time I'm running around in circles anyway trying to level grind anyway lol

CVBelmont47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CVBelmont47
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

It's the insane grinding and slow combat that kill JRPG's for me.

Having such long animations, camera transitions and menu scrolling only compound the grinding.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 21657 Posts

I couldn't agree more: they are torture. Chrono Trigger found the sweet spot between forcing you into combat and not making it feel like a slap in the back of the head.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9310 Posts

Really depends on the specific JRPG, and the player.

I think a deeper battle system with more risk is nice, though it's harder for devs to pull off I guess. I remember one reason why I really liked Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light was that it required you to "save" up energy for stronger spells, so you couldn't just spam your most powerful abilities and blow through a battle. But that's not the best example. I think it's nice whenever a game continues to be challenging well into the endgame, but a breezy JRPG can be fun too - I did love the Golden Sun games, after all.

To this day I still like random encounters. I think if a game has too much going on at once or is too mind-numbingly-easy, it makes it hard for me to keep interest - which is kind of what happened with Pokemon Shield lately.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25050 Posts

I don't think anyone likes random encounters. Some just tolerate it more.

It's a pretty lame way to make your game longer.