Racial divide in video games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

First off, this topic is not for the intent of starting a race war on GS nor to ruffle any feathers.

Year after year, there are games that come out, maybe 10 blockbusters/AAA, and about 20 - 30 other games that range from terrible to great. With the majority of these blockbusters one thing stands out to me. There's a lack of racial diversity in our games; the protagonists are usually of a European background. As more and more games are developed in the West, one could expect to see a plethora of races playing the part of the hero but that's not the case.

Someone is sure to say Shaz from FFXIII is a good representation, or Sheva from RE5. I beg to differ as Shaz was just a comic reliefwhile Sheva was placed in the game to cool race relations. For those that would disagree to those descriptions, well I won't argue with you, but those two character's are not the main protagonists; they are mere sidekicks. If you have other examples please provide them.

Where's the Hispanic, Black, Taiwanese, etc... representation?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

Because a lot of people in the west are white, and for some it is a lot easier to relate to someone with the same ethnicity. This is hardly exclusive to video games however, movies arent much better in this regard. Take the latest prince of persia movie as an example that generated a bit of controversy for featuring a white prince as opposed to a middle eastern one.

In some ways I am glad we have mostly white protagonists, who knows what kind of annoying stereotypes we would have to put up with in some games otherwise.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

As more and more games are developed in the West, one could expect to see a plethora of races playing the part of the hero

lowkey254

Why would this be expected at all?

The games developed all from one region tend to be ethnocentric to that region's races? Why would there be any different expectations?

Pugberto3122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Pugberto3122
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts

A copious amount of Military games such as 'Halo Reach', 'Gears of War' and 'Black Ops' strive on diversity in their characters but they are never the protagonist. In 'Halo Reach' the character 'Noble Six' is faceless without gender or race so it doesn't come into the same terms to a great extent because they are in essence a hollow shell.

This isn't the first time that people have expressed their discontent on this affair. A lot of profound, evocative stories in video games tend to feature a Caucasian male; it's rare to see a protagonist of African or Hispanic dissent when weighted up against the typical Caucasian figures. The lack of representation for diverse protagonists is questionable but when you look at the general consensus of contemporary video gamers they tend to be Caucasian males and those in the industry in the West are also the same. The only way to correct such an issue is for a number of minorities in the West to become more involved in the Gaming Industry in order to provide a greater influence on the market.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#5 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

The majority of gamers in the West are white male adolescents, so making characters they can identify with and look up to at the same time will appeal more to them. It's very logical from a marketing perspective, and, when it comes to European-made games, very logical from a social perspective as well. Even though globalisation and immigration have changed the composition of the European populace somewhat, the vast, vast majority of the inhabitants of Europe are white, so when European developers reflect that in their games, that's mere logic at work.

Not to mention that I never believed in racial diversity for the sake of it anyway. In this case, it'd supply video games with a political undercurrent I personally would not want to see in a video game. In other words: normally, I don't think about the race of the characters in a game. but if they were to fill every game with a standard amount of black people, Asians and Hispanics, I'd be constantly reminded of the political idea behind it.

Bottom line: it would only cause irritation.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="lowkey254"] As more and more games are developed in the West, one could expect to see a plethora of races playing the part of the hero

Why would this be expected at all?

The games developed all from one region tend to be ethnocentric to that region's races? Why would there be any different expectations?

Due to the diversity of the populations in the West compaired to the East (Japan). It's an assumption I know.
Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Sazh was comic relief?! (***Spoiler alert!***) Whilst he did seem constantly cheerful, the guy had some very dark personality issues once the situation with his son arose. Just look at his attempted suicide scene! On topic, you could say the same about film and books. The majority of hollywood films do feature a white American protaganist, whilst Bollywood films will feature an asian/indian (to avoid any mix-up with the US and UK term 'asian') protagonist. I have to agree with XaosII, where the project is based will have a large impact on any ethnicity of the protagonist and surrounding characters.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Would it really make that much difference if say Marcus in Gears of War was black instead of Cole? Or if Mario was African American instead of Italian? Most game characters are grossly out of proportion and nothing like real people. And also a ton of game these days have villains as lead characters, so putting minorities in those roles would cause a ****storm in the media.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It's what people are used to now, after years of gaming. You can't just change it, people might not get the game if the guy with the super powers is mexican or any other race. There are games that have other than hispanic people I'm sure. Like Afro Samurai. :P Imagine replacing Keanu Reeves with Will Smith in The Matrix. Naaw, I couldn't imagine it. Most players are white anyway, so it would probably be more appealing. (Since the audience is mostly hispanic)

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

RSE had a diverse cast of characters in Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear and the main character was of a Hispanic background and featured team members from all over the world that you could play and this included playing as a female team member. They did something similar with Ghost Recon. Ubi and RSE has moved away from this model and now both games are hero character based that are white.

lahmfan247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lahmfan247
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Dude were in america, were white and the video game developers are white so the characters are white.
multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

yes, ask yourself, why are the majority of television shows on Galvavision and Univision latino and not white? Or why are the majority of Bollywood films have Indians and no whites.

Same thing, the USA has majority of whites, so enterntainment like video games will have white main characters.

Although...u gotta consider

1) Ninja Gaiden main guy--> Hayabusa

2) Call of Juarez --> Billy (half white i think)

3) For fighting games like SF or MK, the flagship fighter is not white

4) Heavenly Sword --> Nariko has red hair but is asian, her dad and her clan are asian no?

5) Tenchu series

6) Yakuza

7) Lost Odyessy --> Kaim, i dont know what he is, and the little kids

8) 50 cent Blood in the Sand!!! cmon!

9) Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - main guy looks like a wayans brother, the skinny one

10) GTA chinatown wars protaganist , duh

11) next True Crime game

12) Army of Two series -- isnt one of the guys name Rios

13) Ninja Blade - main guy

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

It's what people are used to now, after years of gaming. You can't just change it, people might not get the game if the guy with the super powers is mexican or any other race. There are games that have other than hispanic people I'm sure. Like Afro Samurai. :P Imagine replacing Keanu Reeves with Will Smith in The Matrix. Naaw, I couldn't imagine it. Most players are white anyway, so it would probably be more appealing. (Since the audience is mostly hispanic)

LustForSoul
Keanu is half white no? shouldve used Arnold or Stallone as an example.
imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts

Because most people in the US are White or White / Hispanic / European descent, and most of the developers are also white. They are making a product to cater to their target audience, which are mostly made up of White people. I'm not White, and I don't see this as bias of any sort because it's reflecting the reality of the market and what it demands.

Also, most games now days feature pivotal side-characters that are not White, and often have a very close and positive relation to the main character.I think that's a good way to put some balance into the ethnic make up of most games.

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

I completely understand your point lowkey254 and I agree more diversity in all types of media would be great.

Video game characters are pretty cool but at the end of the day they are fake.

I would look towards the sports genre and find real life ethnic figures which beats the hell out of fake ones

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Mass Effect.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
Games that are set in modern times have plenty of ethnics, e.g. the Call of Duty series. Many let you choose your race. If there's no minority to 'represent' in the game world, what can you expect?
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Was Rico black or brown? Anyway, it never gets old seeing the stereotypical "ese" in video games :roll:
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

First off, this topic is not for the intent of starting a race war on GS nor to ruffle any feathers.

Year after year, there are games that come out, maybe 10 blockbusters/AAA, and about 20 - 30 other games that range from terrible to great. With the majority of these blockbusters one thing stands out to me. There's a lack of racial diversity in our games; the protagonists are usually of a European background. As more and more games are developed in the West, one could expect to see a plethora of races playing the part of the hero but that's not the case.

Someone is sure to say Shaz from FFXIII is a good representation, or Sheva from RE5. I beg to differ as Shaz was just a comic reliefwhile Sheva was placed in the game to cool race relations. For those that would disagree to those descriptions, well I won't argue with you, but those two character's are not the main protagonists; they are mere sidekicks. If you have other examples please provide them.

Where's the Hispanic, Black, Taiwanese, etc... representation?

lowkey254

I'm black and I don't blame developers for not putting blacks in videogames. RE5 was a shameless (disappointing IMHO) ripoff of RE4 and the fact some people accused it of being racist was pathetic. San Andreas (whose script was written with a lot of help from the guy who wrote the hilarious Friday) attracted similar criticism even though Rockstar (more used to controversy) ignored it.

If one can make any game under the sun starring whites and no one cries out about the race being misrepresented (as if the objects of commercial art should be not to entertain, but to make every race look its best) why would any sane developer bother making a game with a black protagonist? All it can cause is negative publicity though its worth noting that the vast majority of the whining doesn't come from gamers (both RE5 and San Andreas sold extremely well), but from organizations whose mission in life is to run around accusing others of being racist.

Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

I'm black and I don't blame developers for not putting blacks in videogames. RE5 was a shameless (disappointing IMHO) ripoff of RE4 and the fact some people accused it of being racist was pathetic. San Andreas (whose script was written with a lot of help from the guy who wrote the hilarious Friday) attracted similar criticism even though Rockstar (more used to controversy) ignored it.

If one can make any game under the sun starring whites and no one cries out about the race being misrepresented (as if the objects of commercial art should be not to entertain, but to make every race look its best) why would any sane developer bother making a game with a black protagonist? All it can cause is negative publicity though its worth noting that the vast majority of the whining doesn't come from gamers (both RE5 and San Andreas sold extremely well), but from organizations whose mission in life is to run around accusing others of being racist.

CarnageHeart

I could accuse every single FPS taking place in WW2 pacific as racist too, cus you are against japs as white american. And nobody ever blamed movies like Black Hawk Down or Tears of the Sun for being a racist!Not to mention fighting nazis in WW2 would be labeled as "germanofobic" or something. But if you take the war game to other extreme, you get like Far Cry 2, i mean there are irish, albanians, blacks and asians all running a war in africa. Why would people like that come together from all over the world? Why would someone living in europe or asia bother going into a poor country in africa to risk hes life for justa pennies? I think its because developers were afraid to be called racists, so they made a whole world to go to africa and die there lol. I personally don't care what skin color my enemies or friends are, i just care how they perform and on whos side they are on!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It could be they did not think of races while making the game.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DraugenCP

I could accuse every single FPS taking place in WW2 pacific as racist too, cus you are against japs as white american. And nobody ever blamed movies like Black Hawk Down or Tears of the Sun for being a racist!Not to mention fighting nazis in WW2 would be labeled as "germanofobic" or something. But if you take the war game to other extreme, you get like Far Cry 2, i mean there are irish, albanians, blacks and asians all running a war in africa. Why would people like that come together from all over the world? Why would someone living in europe or asia bother going into a poor country in africa to risk hes life for justa pennies? I think its because developers were afraid to be called racists, so they made a whole world to go to africa and die there lol. I personally don't care what skin color my enemies or friends are, i just care how they perform and on whos side they are on!BattleforAzerot

I think most of the Europeans in Far Cry 2 were mercenaries that are just paid to take care of business there. It's something that happens a lot in reality as well, as a lot of arms dealers in African conflict zones are actually Western. However, I do think you have a point when you say that Ubisoft was afraid of being called racist, because the enemies you encounter in the game are a mix of black and white people, which is kind of weird since most of them are supposed to be indigenous people of an African country. It's also worth noting that most of the playable characters are from nations that have a certain tolerance/like factor in the West. Irish, Albanian, American. It's rare to find protagonists in Western games that are Russian or Serbian, for example, because in the current video game cliché they are usually the bad guys, which I think might actually reflect fear for those people in real life.

But yeah, Ubisoft is clearly aware of the risks of being accused of racism when they develop their video games, and has some odd self-censorship policy as a result. I also remember, for instance, how whenever you start up Assassin's Creed, you see a message saying that the development team has a multicultural background.

Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

I think most of the Europeans in Far Cry 2 were mercenaries that are just paid to take care of business there. It's something that happens a lot in reality as well, as a lot of arms dealers in African conflict zones are actually Western. However, I do think you have a point when you say that Ubisoft was afraid of being called racist, because the enemies you encounter in the game are a mix of black and white people, which is kind of weird since most of them are supposed to be indigenous people of an African country. It's also worth noting that most of the playable characters are from nations that have a certain tolerance/like factor in the West. Irish, Albanian, American. It's rare to find protagonists in Western games that are Russian or Serbian, for example, because in the current video game cliché they are usually the bad guys, which I think might actually reflect fear for those people in real life.

But yeah, Ubisoft is clearly aware of the risks of being accused of racism when they develop their video games, and has some odd self-censorship policy as a result. I also remember, for instance, how whenever you start up Assassin's Creed, you see a message saying that the development team has a multicultural background.

DraugenCP

Actually main character of Grand Theft Auto 4 is probably serbian. But as of Far Cry 2, shoulnt most people including leading characters and playable characters be a black? And why should mercenarie from like ireland go into the africa, to fight in a poor mans war? I woulnt go to some random x country as cheap mercenary at least. But then again, the whole game is a mess, it doesn't even look like a country, but rather a huge military barracks. There are almost no civilians in the game anyway!

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

Borderlands and KZ2 both represent more than one ethnic group. Wish this would happen more often.

Avatar image for juliankennedy23
juliankennedy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 juliankennedy23
Member since 2005 • 894 Posts

More games are alos allowing you to design your own characters including ethnicity (Saints Row 2, Fallout 3 ect)

I think this is hopefully the future of game design. (Lets face it RDR really needed a character design option after beating the game)

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
Among the games that others have mentioned, I would also include Mirror's Edge (asian) and Just Cause 1 and 2 (hispanic). Also Tidus in FFX would be asian (if from Earth). True Crime Streets of LA features an asian lead. True Crime New York, a black lead. Left 4 Dead had a black guy in it I think. There are plenty of examples of decent characters from non-white ethnicities in games, and in lead roles. It's just that a white male lead is more prevalent. Mainly because that makes up a large percentage of the audience, and a lot of games are developed in places where white is the majority (USA and Europe). I think the problem is that while most entertainment industries try to push for racial equality in terms of characters and their roles, for games there is this extra incentive to be very careful about it for two reasons: 1) A lot of non-gamers simply don't understand games. And 2) because if that asian/african-american/asian character is then seen going around killing people in the game, some people will still get the wrong idea. So a lot of developers just sidestep the issue and stick with a white protagonist.
CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

Ever since I realized this fact it has irked me in every game I play. Uncharted is an all-caucasian cast, all the main characters in Infamous are white, and looking at the screen both my B-Spec driver and all the spectators are white too. Of all the things I can think of, Left 4 Dead seems to do the best at portraying racial and sexual deversity, and even they are stereotypes.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I don't really care. I play video games to have fun. Who cares if all the characters in a game are of European descent? If the games are produced in the West, it's not surprising if most of the characters are Westerners (Whites).

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

They're just trying to appeal to the biggest userbase.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DraugenCP

Actually main character of Grand Theft Auto 4 is probably serbian. But as of Far Cry 2, shoulnt most people including leading characters and playable characters be a black? And why should mercenarie from like ireland go into the africa, to fight in a poor mans war? I woulnt go to some random x country as cheap mercenary at least. But then again, the whole game is a mess, it doesn't even look like a country, but rather a huge military barracks. There are almost no civilians in the game anyway!BattleforAzerot

Well, his nationality is a bit ambiguous (as he actually speaks Bosnian) but nationality is ambiguous in the Balkan regions in the first place. Still, it says enough that one of the only Eastern-European main characters in a Western game stars in a title like GTA.

Why would a mercenary go to Africa? To earn money. The whole idea of a mercenary is that he earns money by doing dirty work. It doesn't matter where or what it is, as long as he gets paid. Though it even makes sense from an ideological perspective: the Irishman in Far Cry 2 is a former IRA member (another video game cliché: all Irishmen drink, swear and have affiliations with the IRA), and the IRA has marxist ideals, just like one of the factions in the game.

But yeah, it probably isn't worth overthinking as Far Cry 2 was not a particularly clever designed game in the first place. Still, I did not think the presence of Western/non-African characters in that game, at least when it came to the main characters, wasn't too odd.