Racial Diversity in Games.. Do we need more?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 thphaca
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts

Firstly, I'm not here to to raise the "race card..." or maybe I am, but not in a very condescending way.

I'm fairly neutral with my stance. Some of my favorite games (FF7, Half-Life 2, Mass Effect, KOTOR, GRAW2, etc.) have somehow featured a minority at least to the smallest extent. I think we're in decent standing in terms of diversity, but maybe we can have a few games where the protagonist isn't a Caucasion male? The Walking Dead was one of the few games to do this recently and it pulled it off well IMO, paving way for some interesting dialogue and tension.

Concerning games with a "baked in" story (no customization), there's San Andreas, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, and many others I've missed, but generally, I rarely get to play as a Black, Hispanic, Asian or any other non-Caucasion race. No big deal to me- a game's a game. I don't believe this task should be done forcefully, as story-telling is an artform, but it would just be nice to put a different ethnic spin on things sometimes.

Many games offer the customization of your own character for race and sex. Few even go as far as to personalize the voice acting to suit your character (namely, Saints Row 3). There's no doubt that steps have been taken to personalize the experience among a diverse clientele.

What's everyone's take on racial diversity of games?

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
I could go on for hours about this topic but all I'm going to say is that i'd like to see more games with protagonists of different ethnicity but it shouldn't be forced.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
type race diversity extra credits in google and watch the videos.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
I think the bigger issue behind this is that we need to see a greater diversity of roles for protagonists. Or going even further back we need a greater diversity of games that can create a situation where there can be greater diversity of protagonists; a FPS where you play from the US-side automatically type-casts the protagonist into a recognisable trope. Change the situation, and the character changes, change the character and racial diversity should happen on its own.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
@thphaca who said there's no asian in videogames...Onimusha, streetfighter, tekken and mostly japanese dev games
thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thphaca

I think the bigger issue behind this is that we need to see a greater diversity of roles for protagonists. Or going even further back we need a greater diversity of games that can create a situation where there can be greater diversity of protagonists; a FPS where you play from the US-side automatically type-casts the protagonist into a recognisable trope. Change the situation, and the character changes, change the character and racial diversity should happen on its own.Articuno76
I couldn't have worded it any better. Perhaps the type of storytelling and settings that we use in games inherently limit the possibilities in diversity that can naturally occur.
@thphaca who said there's no asian in videogames...Onimusha, streetfighter, tekken and mostly japanese dev gameshippiesanta
Though I should have mentioned this before, I deliberately omitted those games because I was focusing on western games, where diversity could be most naturally achievable. Also, having predominantly Asians in those kinds of games is a given. Of course there's going to be Asians in a martial arts fighting game, just like there will likely be African Americans in a basketball game, or Hispanics in a "fútbol" game. Some things just go with the territory. It would be unnatural to have it any other way.

Nonetheless, you have a good point. Asians do play an important roll in that genre, but Asian protagonists shouldn't be limited to just fighting games. That's one of the points I'm trying to get across.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No. Minorities are MINORITIES and shouldn't be represented as if they're 50% or 75% of the population in games or anything else. That's just pure political correctness and shoving an agenda down people's throats.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

No. Minorities are MINORITIES and shouldn't be represented as if they're 50% or 75% of the population in games or anything else. That's just pure political correctness and shoving an agenda down people's throats.

Jackc8

Is most of the population white...?

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thphaca

type race diversity extra credits in google and watch the videos.dakan45

The video you mentioned [here] is a pretty interesting take on the whole thing. The speaker doesn't take a definitive stand on the topic, but the one statement that stuck out to me is the fact that attempting to create a minority character can actually enforce stereotypes if done the wrong way. It's certainly true. I can't really address in a timely mannor the other million things he mentioned that held good ground. :)

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thphaca

Jackc8

That's a respectable opinion, I suppose, but what population are we talking about? America? California? The City of Buena Park? The City of Irvine? They have distincly different demographics. It makes a huge difference.

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Ilovegames1992

According to the US Census Quickfacts, whites make up 78.1% of the total US population, though who knows what the real numbers are if we account for the estimated 11.8 million undocumented immigrants as of 2011.

Not the best source, I know, but I try.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Jackc8"] That's a respectable opinion, I suppose, but what population are we talking about? America? California? The City of Buena Park? The City of Irvine? They have distincly different demographics. It makes a huge difference. [QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

thphaca

According to the US Census Quickfacts, whites make up 78.1% of the total US population, though who knows what the real numbers are if we account for the estimated 11.8 million undocumented immigrants as of 2011.

But on a global scale..?

I don't think so.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#12 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Jackc8
That would depend on where the game is taking place, if that place is real, or if that place is even considered to be Earth.

The Walking Dead was one of the few games to do this recently and it pulled it off well IMO, paving way for some interesting dialogue and tension.

I was happy to be playing as a black man who wasn't written like any kind of stereotype but I don't remember anytime where him being black brought about interesting dialogue or tension in the plot.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

[QUOTE="thphaca"]

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Ilovegames1992

But on a global scale..?

I don't think so.

most gamers are white... globally ... and especially huge population of americans..... I think.....
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Legolas_Katarn
That would depend on where the game is taking place, if that place is real, or if that place is even considered to be Earth.

The Walking Dead was one of the few games to do this recently and it pulled it off well IMO, paving way for some interesting dialogue and tension.

I was happy to be playing as a black man who wasn't written like any kind of stereotype but I don't remember anytime where him being black brought about interesting dialogue or tension in the plot.

ughh, have you played the lastest episode of the walking dead? this really isn't spoiling anything but at one point, you (the main character Lee) and Kenny are trying to break into a door with a lock on it, Kenny looks at you and says don't you have experience with this type of thing when Lee says, what are you trying to say Kenny? it was a pretty funny moment
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

I think we need more diversity in general instead of the usual Nathan Drake style guy with short brown hair and stubble thats in practically everything.

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thphaca

Chris Williams stole the words out of my mouth.

I think we need more diversity in general instead of the usual Nathan Drake style guy with short brown hair and stubble thats in practically everything.

TJORLY

Yeah, I started playing Spec Ops today and I can testify to that popular "Nathan Drake" look.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#19 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I wouldn't want to play as a muslim, hindu etc. for religious background if that's what you're asking, that area in a game doesn't interest me, especially religions different to my own.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Gaming needs all kinds of diversity, not just Racial.

It would make games more relatable to over half the people who play them and dont happen to be brown haired white males.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I have a perfect example of a very diverse cast of main characters. Gears of War, you have all type of different backrounds represented, even some that normally get nothing (samoa). Epic did a great job of creating characters that had interesting backrounds, banding together to kill some grubs. Gears of War just bleeds awesome as a series.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I wouldn't want to play as a muslim, hindu etc. for religious background if that's what you're asking, that area in a game doesn't interest me, especially religions different to my own.

Venom_Raptor

You don't think you can use it a a learning experience. Maybe if you were able to experience different perspectives it would help erase anytype of untruth that might have been ingrained through stereotypes?

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

The vast majority of humans in games are definately white. Even in Japanese games the characters tend to look white or a mixture of white and asian.

pesh_fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pesh_fury
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

Well, let's leave the devs to do whatever they want with their games. It's very difficult to discuss things like race, religion, or nationality without someone getting insulted in some way. Ahhh...what can we do? : )

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
No, not to say there's any reason we shouldn't but being a different race doesn't change who the character is at all. We need more different charecters who are different in a significant way ie i have yet to see a game where you're playing as a mother.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

The vast majority of humans in games are definately white. Even in Japanese games the characters tend to look white or a mixture of white and asian.

-Unreal-
That's due to south-east Asian fashion, it's pretty common for people to go to the beach and sit under a parasol all day to avoid getting a tan.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Jackc8

This. It's the same as reality shows, they put one or two black people on them just to keep the al sharptons quiet and the audience is overwhelmingly white, just like it is for video games.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

markop2003
That's due to south-east Asian fashion, it's pretty common for people to go to the beach and sit under a parasol all day to avoid getting a tan.

I was thinking more along the lines of the facial features.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

Firstly, I'm not here to to raise the "race card..." or maybe I am, but not in a very condescending way.

I'm fairly neutral with my stance. Some of my favorite games (FF7, Half-Life 2, Mass Effect, KOTOR, GRAW2, etc.) have somehow featured a minority at least to the smallest extent. I think we're in decent standing in terms of diversity, but maybe we can have a few games where the protagonist isn't a Caucasion male? The Walking Dead was one of the few games to do this recently and it pulled it off well IMO, paving way for some interesting dialogue and tension.

Concerning games with a "baked in" story (no customization), there's San Andreas, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, and many others I've missed, but generally, I rarely get to play as a Black, Hispanic, Asian or any other non-Caucasion race. No big deal to me- a game's a game. I don't believe this task should be done forcefully, as story-telling is an artform, but it would just be nice to put a different ethnic spin on things sometimes.

Many games offer the customization of your own character for race and sex. Few even go as far as to personalize the voice acting to suit your character (namely, Saints Row 3). There's no doubt that steps have been taken to personalize the experience among a diverse clientele.

What's everyone's take on racial diversity of games?

thphaca
FF7? This thread should only apply to Western Devs, when japanese devs use a balck guy, with ONE exception, they all have SMGS or pistols.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts
Example:"FFXIII polls indicate that Sazh is considered the most appealing character in the game for his attitude and his Weapons."
Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Having diversity for diversity's sake doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy to play a game with a character regardless of sex or race, as long as I'm invested in their story, and the gameplay is up to scratch. For instance, I'm currently really enjoying The Walking Dead, which features a black protagonist (I'm white), my SWTOR character is black, some of my favourite games include italian protagonists (Mario and Assassin's Creed) and so on. It's up to the developer to create a convincing character and gameplay to match - to make the character someone fleshed out - and that we can become, or envision ourselves as.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

-Unreal-

And the black guy always has an afro

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Frankly I don't give a darn if a character is male or female, white, asian, hispanic, black or heck even albino as long as the character has a depth to it and not something thrown in cause they're afraid someone might pull up the race card.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

It would be interesting to see a survey on the racial demographics of gamers. Has there been some studies?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Sure. It just makes things more interesting. Even more though, more women in supporting roles.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#36 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

No. Minorities are MINORITIES and shouldn't be represented as if they're 50% or 75% of the population in games or anything else. That's just pure political correctness and shoving an agenda down people's throats.Jackc8

Yeah, because everything has to be polictically charged. Right. Sure.

Keep telling yourself that.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ilovegames1992

Mortal Kombat.

Quite ethincally diverse.

In fact, the main hero is an "ethnicity" whilst the bumbling, comic relief sidekick per se is a white man.

This kinda stuff exists in many games in my opinion.

I'll be honest when i'm playing a game where i can customise my character i make him white, but thats nothing to do with race, i just like to make him look like me, gives me a bigger sense of immersion.

But any game that has a black protagonist or playable characters, i have no issue playing with them. I dont even realise it, i think its looking for racial issues where there are none.

Thats my perspective.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Certainly, certainly, certainly. There's room for improvement, and it's a shame to see so many games with fix protagonists going for the usual white Anglo-Saxon male protagonist, who's just another variation on the last. Another problem is the diversity in game developers and writers, but hey as with many industries change happens progressively. In terms of character, a shift away from dependence on triple A publishing means that devs can be a bit more risky in character endeavours. Which isn't to say triple A developers aren't having a go, take Starhawk recently.
type race diversity extra credits in google and watch the videos.dakan45
They're good and well produced, if you only want to dip your toes in the pool however.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

I know, but I try.

thphaca
Implying that everything is about a US audience, or that creative endeavours should adhere to a race balance for a said country? By that logic then why don't we have equal gender representation in games, to fit with the population split? Silly, silly, silly.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
People actually care about this?
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#41 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I don't have anything against playing as a black guy or whatever, but if characters of ethnic minority groups or otherwise underrepresented categories are put into a game just for the sake of tokenism, I'll pass. It also has to fit in a game. I remember people calling for female NPCs in the Stalker games, which would have made very little sense if you ask me.

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thphaca

[QUOTE="thphaca"]

I know, but I try.

skrat_01

Implying that everything is about a US audience, or that creative endeavours should adhere to a race balance for a said country? By that logic then why don't we have equal gender representation in gamers, to fit with the population split? Silly, silly, silly.

I limited my scope to the US because, as I stated before, it's the easiest region to naturally convey diversity. America, as far as I know, is the most diverse country on the planet. Trying to introduce other countries into the equation makes the arguement magnitudes much more of a headache because we have to account for both races and nationalities.. Stick to one country and it's all one nationality with many races.

It's not about the ethnicity of most gamers, or even of the whole planet. That's irrelevant. It's about what would be most suitable for the universe WITHIN the game. If a Chinese game developer were creating a game based in modern-day Los Angeles, California, it would be wise that they incorporated mostly African-Americans and Hispanics near the urban areas, with an increasingly Caucasian population as you get further into the north into more wealthy areas of say.. Beverly Hills or Marina Del Rey, with other races sprinkled about approapriately as well, If they're aiming for demographic accuracy, that is. If we were to set the clock back to 1920's Los Angeles, it would be predominantly Caucasion all around.

Obviously there's a German, French, Australian and [insert numerous other races] versions of the above paragraph, but aside from some slight differences in ancestral descent, is their much racial diversity in those countries to begin with? Not that I know of (but I'll gladly let you prove me wrong), therefore it's a silly claim to suggest that we add those countries to the arguement and say that they, too, should incorporate diversity within their games.

I'm not ignorant to the fact that there are game developers in other countries, but aren't most game devs based (or at least founded) in US soil? I can't back this up with factual sources, to be honest, but most of the time I read about a developer, their office is based in some city in the US.

I agree that we should have equal gender representation, but that's a different topic. Both topics have similar attributes, sure, but they have many more historical, traditional and social variables that would warrant a new thread for that topic.

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thphaca

I don't have anything against playing as a black guy or whatever, but if characters of ethnic minority groups or otherwise underrepresented categories are put into a game just for the sake of tokenism, I'll pass. It also has to fit in a game. I remember people calling for female NPCs in the Stalker games, which would have made very little sense if you ask me.

DraugenCP

Certainly. Same opinion here... But I also don't agree with using the Caucasian male as the "safe default" in a game all the time... unless it's appropriate for the game of course. I don't expect a black protagonist to be randomly thrown into a medieval game. It wouldn't feel historically correct unless some other relevant context were provided. However, if the setting is in a more of a modern urban area, where a black person were more likely to fit the roll, then.. why not? It's just about considering a slightly different viewpoint on some things.

Nonetheless, I think diversification will natural occur as devs run out of ideas. Take Just Cause for example. An epic Hispanic fellow in South America. I can't account for the whole game, but the idea was somewhat fresh compared to stale American military shooters fighting in middle-eastern turf.

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thphaca

[QUOTE="Venom_Raptor"]

Yusuke420

You don't think you can use it a a learning experience. Maybe if you were able to experience different perspectives it would help erase anytype of untruth that might have been ingrained through stereotypes?

Sorry for all the posts, but this is a great comment here. Learning a new perspective is one point I wanted to stress as well.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#45 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I don't think about it too much. I don't care a whole lot about what race/gender the characters are, just as long as they are likable. Now that I think about it, I may have lied about the first part. As a white guy, I don't always make my character white when there's that option. My first character in Fallout 3 was asian, then I made a black guy. My Mass Effect character is Hispanic, Saints Row 2- black guy, Skyrim- black guy (Redguard), and of course I still chose to be white sometimes. I don't know, maybe I do like diversity, otherwise I would have just been whitey every single game. Still, it doesn't matter a whole lot to me if the only playable character is a certain race, gender, or whatever.
Avatar image for wakandanpanther
wakandanpanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wakandanpanther
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Yes there should be more racial diversity in video games.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing some Jewish game protagonists (or hell even Jewish NPC's would be nice)... they seem to be greatly under-represented in gaming circles...
Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

It could use more diversity, but right now gaming devs are mostly white americans and europeans or japanese so it makes sense most characters will look white or asian. Diversity will be more commonplace in games when diversity becomes more commonplace on the development and publishing side. I do wish there were more games with options to change race and sex though. If the character doesnt talk or anything, why not allow me to make the character look the way I want?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Forcing ethnic ("race" is related to species, not country of origin) diversity for it's own sake seems to scream of "reverse racism". A developer should be free to choose whatever kind of protagonist they want. If one developer wants a grizzled, white, bald space marine, they are entitled as much as the next developer who wants a dainty, female, lesbian, hipster, singer. Gaming is supposed to be an artistic medium, not a field for forcing political correctness down people's throats.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Are causcasians really the majority of Earth population? Gamers come in all colors and nationalities and racial diversity in games would be nice but it's not a big deal to me.

San Andreas for example, was cool and even though I didn't care for the way blacks were depicted in the game, it didn't stop me from enjoying it. Plus more games now are emphasizing character customization where you can easily darken the skin tone or change facial features to your liking.

It shouldn't matter so much as to what skin color the main protagonist on the box art is as long as the game itself is executed properly.If games are going to emphasize more racial diversity, they need to depict these characters as normal people like most of their real life counterparts or the same way caucasian characters are depicted and not whatever stereotype they think other races fit in.It's the stereotypes that tend to rub certain people the wrong way.