Quick Question About The Playstation 2 that anyone should be able to answer...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts

When I powered up my Playstation 2 without a disc plugged in there, it came up with the

"Browser"
"System Configuration" options.

I noticed down further it says to press Triangle for "Version".

When Version is pressed it looks something like this:

"Version Information"

Console
Browser
CD Player
PlayStation Driver
DVD Player
MAC Address

I hit PlayStation Driver's options by hitting Triangle again, and it came up with

Disc Speed
Texture Mapping options.

My question is: What do these do? Disc Speed can be changed from Standard to "Fast" and Texture Mapping can be changed from Standard to "Smooth".

What do these do? Thanks!

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

From my understanding those are PS1 options, which more than likely causes the PS1 game not to work on the PS2.

ohh... and they reset to their normal values everytime you turn the PS2 off or put it into standby mode. Which, basicly means, always.

Smooth equals anti-aliasing and Fast equals higher cd-rom RPM's, but I'm pretty sure it's only for PS1 games. Fast mode is automaticly used for PS2 games and anti-aliasing isn't a factor with PS2 games, because PS2 games don't use that driver.

Ironfungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ironfungus
Member since 2007 • 1123 Posts
Yeah, I'm playing FF8 right now on my PS2 and I wanted to know if those options would help it run faster on my PS2 or not?
willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
Nothing much it's for ps1 games and sometime it makes games load faster
loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#5 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts

When I powered up my Playstation 2 without a disc plugged in there, it came up with the

"Browser"
"System Configuration" options.

I noticed down further it says to press Triangle for "Version".

When Version is pressed it looks something like this:

"Version Information"

Console
Browser
CD Player
PlayStation Driver
DVD Player
MAC Address

I hit PlayStation Driver's options by hitting Triangle again, and it came up with

Disc Speed
Texture Mapping options.

My question is: What do these do? Disc Speed can be changed from Standard to "Fast" and Texture Mapping can be changed from Standard to "Smooth".

What do these do? Thanks!

Ironfungus

They add filters to the textures to obviously make them look "smoother" and the disc speed enhances the loading speed, meaning shorter load times (load times were originally a major complaint with PSone games).

esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

From my understanding those are PS1 options, which more than likely causes the PS1 game not to work on the PS2.

ohh... and they reset to their normal values everytime you turn the PS2 off or put it into standby mode. Which, basicly means, always.

Smooth equals anti-aliasing and Fast equals higher cd-rom RPM's, but I'm pretty sure it's only for PS1 games. Fast mode is automaticly used for PS2 games and anti-aliasing isn't a factor with PS2 games, because PS2 games don't use that driver.

Threesixtyci
Not true at all