Questions for a research paper on video games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

csfanatikdbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 csfanatikdbz
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Any participation is appreciated. The context is I am examining if video games are useful and good for society, or if they are detrimental and a waste of time. I do appreciate humor but I'm looking for more serious answers. Thanks!

1) Do you consider yourself to be a gamer?

2) How often do you play video games?

3) If you do play, are you proud, ashamed, or indifferent?

4) Do you enjoy playing with others online or in person? Neither/Both?

5) Do you feel that gaming has affected your life in a way that is more positive, negative, or neither?

6) How does playing games tend to make you feel?

7) Have you learned anything from gaming?

8) How much gaming do you consider to be too much? Why?

9) What is your favorite thing about gaming or the games industry?

10) What is the worst in your opinion?

11) What do you picture when you think of a gamer?

12) Have you any memorable gaming experiences?

13) Have you formed any friendships or relationships through games?

14) What is your opinion of gaming?

15) What did your parents think of video games?

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts
@csfanatikdbz said:

Any participation is appreciated. The context is I am examining if video games are useful and good for society, or if they are detrimental and a waste of time. I do appreciate humor but I'm looking for more serious answers. Thanks!

Yes, but does the term really matter? I've been playing video games since I was four, games of all shapes and sizes so to speak. But my relatives who sometimes play some Facebook or Mobile games are just as much of a gamer as I am. The term is meaningless.

I have slowed down as I've gotten "older" (only 21) but I still love to dig into something worth my time every chance I get. I'd say at least 10-20 hours a week.

Honestly, I've felt embarassed and ashamed of what I've been playing when some friends walked in. An example would be Star Ocean 3. A buddy of mine walked in (he's nto familiar with video games at all) and immediately started giving me shit because of how.. "anime" it was. He's right, and I absolutely despise anime styled media (with notable exceptions) but I thought I'd at least give it a shot to enjoy it from a gameplay perspective. I didn't end up enjoiying the game in the end, but that's not the point., damn was I cringing when my buddy walked in.

I enjoy playing damn good single player games I'd say 80% of the time. Multiplayer is something I've not given a shit about in a long time, except with close buds or relatives. I absolutely relish every opportunity I get to play local multiplayer with friends. It has led to some of my favorite memories of not only video games, but of old friendships and periods of my life.

5) Do you feel that gaming has affected your life in a way that is more positive, negative, or neither?

Gaming has absolutely affected me in a positive way. I want to avoid a needless sob story, but to provide context, I didn't grow up in a very good home as a young'n, and I had really low self esteem because of it. Any time I started feeling like shit or just wanted to run away, I'd go into my room, turn on the SNES, and become Megaman X for the next several hours (it was one of the only 3 games we owned at the time). God I spent so much time playing X as a tike, just letting all the "bad stuff" currently happening around me get blown away by some sweet X Buster action. Any time I had to get away I'd boot up the SNES, and feel like I could take on anything after I got done playing. There's a million more examples, but that one shoudl suffice.

If it's a good game, I feel pretty good. If it's a bad game, I get irritated. Simple as that.

I learned that video games are good at killing time and engaging me in a really interactive way, but not much else.

I consider my buddies ridiculous MMO addiction to be too much. Dude doesn't come with us to the gym, or go out to the bar to spend more time with his internet guild and people he's never met rather than hang out with his life long friends. I swear the dude must be going at least 50-60 hours a week on that thing. He doesn't have a job either.

Games can engage us with such unique interactive entertainment that movies and books simply can't. Not to say that games are going to replace either of those two forms of media, as each have their place and have the edge over gaming in a lot of entertainment aspects, (pretty much anything story related imo), games are my go to.

The worst what?

A dude playing SNES.

Too many to count bro, way too many.

I actually met my to this day best friend from my high school football team, I overheard him talking about some PC game that came out recently, and I mentioned that I also had interest in it. 8 years later, and over 10 states away, I still talk to this guy every day. Even has keys to my house/car. All started over a conversation about some random Steam game that I think ended up being shit. Lots of other friends too, just an example.

It's a pretty good time to be a gamer. With all the tools and resources at our disposal currently, we can enjoy almost any game from any era, as well as all the new games coming out. An emerging indie market as well also spices things up. As long as games continue to strive to deliver better gameplay experiences and not more god damn graphics or story telling pretentious bullshit, I'll keep buying em.

My parents thought it was a good way to keep us kids occupied. My dad did love Doom, Wolfenstein, Farcry 1, and Deus Ex though. Other than that, naw.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

1) Hell Yeah !

2) Often !

3) Indifferent.

4) In Person !

5) Negative :(

6) Depends on the Game.

7) The Konami Code.

8) Alot..... Because its Alot.

9) Games :D !

10) Things that aren't Games ! :(

11) My Big Brother's Friend

12) Indeed

13) Yep. Its the Ultimate Bonding tool for Weirdos !

14) Gaming is Awesome... Except..... like... When its Not Awesome !

15) Don't Know... Never Asked Them Before.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MLBknights58

1) I don't think its meaningless so much as it lacks structure and specificity.... I propose we keep Gamer.... But remove subcategories like Casuasl and Hardcore Gamer for something more accurate.

5) Its a slippery slope..... Gaming had a negative effect on me for that very same reason.... Its a nice coping tool but perhaps one should try to improve their current situation instead of just copinp..... Your problems will ust come back.

sparkyhipi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 sparkyhipi
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

wowzerz I got a Minecraft Upgrade Code and it redeemed! Check this site out http://linkbitty.com/minecraft

csfanatikdbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 csfanatikdbz
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Thanks for your replies so far guys!

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

All my answers are in bold.

@csfanatikdbz said:

I don't categorize myself as one, but yeah, sure.

It varies. But usually 5 hours a day.

Proud.

Both.

For sure positive.

A lot of feelings when playing, can't pin point one exact one.

I have learned a lot of things. Like history, psychology, how to make a good story, character development, the business and development side of the industry, and more.

I consider it too much when your not taking care of real life things like others,your house, your job, etc.

The people who play them, talk about them, and make them.

That people have unrealistic desires they want to see in games and the developers/publishers do business wise.

A everyday person.

Yup.

Yes.

I like it a lot.

They don't understand it that much, but they are okay with it.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@csfanatikdbz said:

Thanks for your replies so far guys!

Happy to help =)

suliora