Questions about playing a RTS

#1 Posted by 357mag (422 posts) -

I've never played a Real Time Strategy game and I'm currently thinking about pickup up Sudden Strike 4. Are those games generally a little more relaxed and less chaotic than a first person shooter? I do like the shooters but at times I get a little frustrated being blown up by grenades and being right on the battlefield.

Does anyone know how the save system works in Sudden Strike 4?

Please give me some feedback.

#2 Posted by 357mag (422 posts) -

Hard to believe nobody here has any experience with strategy games.

#3 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -

Well personally wish I could help but it's a bit of a fleeting genre for me.

The last game I played that could even remotely be dubbed a RTS game is War for the Overworld. Which I played both competitively and for its great campaigns. However they're more Stratagy God-Sim with RTS mechanics to differ itself from its clear source material (Dungeon Keeper)

Haven't played a standard RTS game in quite a few years. May pick up the upcoming Warcraft III remake but we'll see how that turns out. Blizzard is more known for annoying fan expectations lately.

When someone states "strategy games" in 2019 I always assume they're talking about Tactical RPGs. Like Original Sin, Disgaea, or Xcom.

#4 Posted by mandzilla (4157 posts) -

@357mag: Well I've never played Sudden Strike 4 myself, so can't comment on its save system sorry. Having done a little research though, it seems at least a bit similar to Company of Heroes, except slower paced, more tactical and by all accounts a more difficult game to play.

If you're asking about RTS games in general then I'd highly recommend them! They're not necessarily relaxed at all times, but tense... in a good way of course. You will need to plan ahead, think fast and react to the occasional chaotic situation.

It's a completely different gaming experience to playing FPS games, but I am sure you will enjoy. Very rewarding feeling when you do well and win a battle. :)

Perhaps if you're a strategy newbie then you should start out with some easier going RTS titles to get a taste for it. Or hey, just jump into Sudden Strike 4 and let us know how you get on. As for less choas and a more relaxing time, I would recommend some turn based strategies such as the Civilization Series or even Total War if you want a turn based/real time strategy hybrid sort of game.

#5 Edited by bussinrounds (3165 posts) -

You want more relaxed and less chaotic....get a turn based strategy game.

RTS games are a lot about fighting the interface the fastest.

In a TB game, nothing happens until you click "move". This allows you to relax more, since you know everyone is going to do what you said and then you get to assess the situation all over.

#6 Edited by 357mag (422 posts) -

@bussinrounds: Okay Thank You for the feedback. I will look into these turn-based games.

They gotta be for Xbox One though.

And WWI or WWII preferably.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#7 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21581 posts) -
@357mag said:

RTS on a controller is like sex with your pants on.

Be warned.

#8 Edited by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -

@357mag said:

@bussinrounds: Okay Thank You for the feedback. I will look into these turn-based games.

Worms: W.M.D. technically meets all the criteria's, even if it uses the latter in jest. Depends what you mean with the world war setting and how important that is to you_

If you do consider Worms. Better to avoid Battlegrounds. It's garbage. Or if have a P.C. around Worms: Armageddon (not the 360/ PS3 Reload edition) it can run on a toaster.

#9 Posted by 357mag (422 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: That looks like some animated cartoon game. Not my style.

#10 Edited by bussinrounds (3165 posts) -
@357mag said:

This type of stuff is mostly on PC, not really consoles.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@357mag said:

@RSM-HQ: That looks like some animated cartoon game. Not my style.

Understandable you are not fond of a style however all games are animated by default. Really seems like a heavily restrictive preference you put on yourself.

Best of luck finding games fitting a ever shrinking criteria.

As the above mentions, if you just want brown-shaded, gritty, military games, with tactical turn-base combat? You are on the wrong platform for it.

And even then your options are mostly from the mid 90 early 2000 DOS games that require file tweaks.

#12 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10405 posts) -

As previous posters stated, you need to get rid of at least one criteria if you actually want a recommendation. If you - for example - are okay with a Sci-Fi setting, then X-Com could be interessting. Or well, you switch to PC. tactical / strategy games are best played with a mouse anyway

#13 Posted by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@ArchoNils2 said:

then X-Com could be interessting.

Good call, sadly may also be a tad too "cartoon"

Getting the impression OP namely likes games somewhat grounded in reality over creativity. Visual imagery similar to Call of Duty. Standard model proportions, less popping colors. .

You know? that style everyone got sick of during the 360/PS3 period

#14 Posted by VagrantSnow (365 posts) -

There aren't very many console RTS games for the current generation. If you don't mind sci fi, I'd recommend Command and Conquer 3 + Kane's Wrath expansion for the 360 (backwards compatible)

If you want WW2 then R.U.S.E is also backwards compatible but it is largely portrayed through iconography.

Sadly you aren't going to find many high quality RTS games on console and will have to look towards the PC for experiences such as Company of Heroes and Men of War Assault Squad 2.

#15 Posted by bussinrounds (3165 posts) -

@357mag: I have the game for you, but it's not out just yet....

Loading Video...

#16 Posted by 357mag (422 posts) -

The Commandos looks good along with what I mentioned the Sudden Strike. I wish Company of Heroes would have been ported over.

#17 Edited by VagrantSnow (365 posts) -

@357mag said:

The Commandos looks good along with what I mentioned the Sudden Strike. I wish Company of Heroes would have been ported over.

Might want to keep an eye on Iron Harvest. It's not a WW2 game but rather an alternate reality WW1/WW2 game based on 1920+. It largely mimics Company of Heroes in style and gameplay and will be available on Xbox One.

Loading Video...