Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

I'm not a Nintendo fan but I love Fire Emblem series. I bought 3DS just want to play Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates but it was confirmed that 3DS is dead and new FE game, Three Houses will be released on Switch in this year. While no definitive release date ever published as I writing this but I'm pretty sure that it may come out in late Spring or early Summer like Awakening and Fates before it. Besides FE the Super Robot Wars T also coming to Switch as well as its PS4 version.

While I know that Switch's games are quite expensive due to its cartridge format instead of cheaper optical disc but Switch have one major advantage, its portability. Unlike PS4 and XBOX One, you can carry it almost everywhere like in your bedroom, mall, etc. I know it is three times the size of 3DS but you still can carry it on the go.

Should I buy it now or wait little longer? Should I wait for a bundle or weeks after Three Houses were released with all of its reviews already published on major gaming websites? I will appreciate your help on this.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

If you can get a good deal on one between now and then, sure go for it. There's a lot of stuff you might enjoy playing in the meantime, and I'd say Nintendo games go on sale more with the Switch than they ever did with the Wii U. Certainly digitally anyway, and big retailers such as Amazon and Gamestop/Game usually match this with the physical copies.

Of course there's no harm in waiting either if Fire Emblem is what you're looking forward to as the new hardware revision will launch next year, and maybe there'll be a price drop on the OG model to coincide with that. Decisions decisions!

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Well you'd want one, but might consider buying the games you want, but waiting for a redesign at this point.

Some tech sites thought it could be as early as thihs year...although it wouldn't shock me if it's this year, or two years from now.

Not that the current design is bad.

If you use it portably though, I'd buy an external battery so you're not using the internal one, since lamely it's a sealed proprietary thing.

Oh yeah, and buy Zelda lol

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Wait until the pro is released (apparently)

And enjoy paying $299 every two years.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@Random_Matt: On the other hand, why wait a few years for a system that might never exist?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Absolutely. I've got my money's worth using mine anyway. It's great in my opinion. I don't have a ton of games for the system but, the games I do own I make good use out of. :)

If the pro is actually a thing, maybe wait for it. But if you don't care about 4k compatibility, just go for the version we have now.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I still think it's going to be a mini rather than a pro.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#8 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@mandzilla: Yeah. I agree. Nintendo always likes to hold back their hardware I’ve noticed. Which I’d prefer if I’m honest. I really can’t be stuffed having the temptation to buy a brand new console. Even though I reckon the changes will be minor.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

i've been pleasantly surprised by it. never been one for handhelds but i've loved its portability and used it as a handheld far more than i expected to. i do think that the hardware and games are overpriced but if you can stomach paying out that bit extra, there's tons of fun to be had and it's a great complimentary system to one of the other consoles or pc

Ryan93WKU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Ryan93WKU
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

I would recommend the Switch. I don't play it much as many of the games I've already beat like Super Mario Odyssey but it was a great game I couldn't put down so it's great to be able to take it on the go. Zelda was also a great and challenging game that I still play from time to time. I'm looking forward to breaking it back out when I pick up Pokémon Go and Ultimate Super Smash Bros.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

There's a rumor of a Switch 2.0 coming out this year. I'd wait till then and either get that or a price dropped Switch 1.0. I may do that.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Wait for fire emblem.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

I love my Switch, but there is no reason you need to get one right now. Just wait for Fire Emblem, there will probably be a bundle.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

You love Fire Emblem series and the next release is on the Switch. If that's the only game that intrigues you about the Switch, wait till it's released. The price of the Switch could drop.

I love Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Tekken, and bought PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 for it's sole purpose

Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

I bought a switch a year and a half ago, but I do not have many games for it. I think it depends if the games for it appeals to you. But it is good that you can own a console/handheld hybrid.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Switch games aren't more expensive generally, quite a few smaller print indie games cost $10 more but full games are always $60 as is the norm for PS4/X1 and was for Wii U.

As for getting now or waiting, well see if more games interest you? It does have a decent amount of RPGs/SRPGs.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I think the Switch has plateaued in terms of software. Looking back at Nintendo history, they launch one game per generation of their big franchises and those are mostly out by now (not counting the NES which was much easier and cheaper to develop for). I don’t know what Fire Emblem is, but if that’s what you like plus a few games already launched and if that’s enough for you, go for it! For my needs, the Switch isn’t on my radar.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I think the Switch has plateaued in terms of software. Looking back at Nintendo history, they launch one game per generation of their big franchises and those are mostly out by now (not counting the NES which was much easier and cheaper to develop for). I don’t know what Fire Emblem is, but if that’s what you like plus a few games already launched and if that’s enough for you, go for it! For my needs, the Switch isn’t on my radar.

Actually, the Switch has barely had any releases from its major franchises.

It has a Zelda game, a Mario game, a Smash Bros game, a Xenoblade game, a Pokemon remake, Kirby, Mario Party/Tennis, and some ports.

That still leaves the vast majority of their franchises open to the Switch. For 2018, they've announced Fire Emblem (which will almost certainly get a few Switch releases, judging from the 3DS output), Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and a new Yoshi game. Nintendo have also announced Metroid Prime 4, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Bayonetta 3. They've also hinted that they are working on another Zelda game (and the N64, Gamecube and Wii both had two Zeldas), so that's still on the cards.

They're really likely to release new games for Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, 2D Mario, Paper Mario, Pikmin, Captain Toad, etc. There's also a chance of sequels for less frequent franchises like Kid Icarus, Star Fox, F-Zero, and so on. So there are still tons of first-party titles to come, assuming that Nintendo sticks to the one-game-per-franchise pattern.

Anyway, back on topic - the Switch has a pretty excellent line-up of first and third party titles at the moment. It's definitely worth the current price, and I doubt Nintendo will release any major hardware revisions within the first 3 years of the console.