Question about AI

This topic is locked from further discussion.

APic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 APic
Member since 2005 • 1640 Posts

Hi there. This is something that's been bugging me for a long time. Whenever you see developers and such talk about how the AI in their game is great, it always seems to come down to this: The enemies you face do indeed act really well, but your allies are horribly stupid. This is really noticeable if you decide to do something along the lines of a team death match, but every other player is a bot. The enemy will hunt you down and work well, but your team will sit in corners and shoot at walls. In games where allies can revive you, they will often ignore you and justy run by you, while if you watch your enemies they will indeed revive each other.

I'm no game developer, so I don't understand how the process works, but why is AI like this? Can't enemies and allies use the same AI?

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i think its so u cant hide in a corner and let ur teammates do all f the killin.....while i wish ur teammate were better.....on par with the enemys.....but i think that could make the game too easy......which is never a good thing

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

i think its so u cant hide in a corner and let ur teammates do all f the killin.....while i wish ur teammate were better.....on par with the enemys.....but i think that could make the game too easy......which is never a good thing

lpjazzman220

I agree with this. It would probably be really easy for a developer to make some super-smart AI that does all the work for you, but then the game would be playing itself. On the other hand, you don't want to make the AI too stupid, otherwise they'll just hinder the player's progress.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#4 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I've encountered some games where enemy AI is better than friendly AI, but it doesn't bother me. Its strange though ;)

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Hmm, arma 2 has to be the ony game the friendy ai is actually good. Here i was shooting and i look backwards and i see a dead enemy .That enemy would have shot and killed me if the friendly ai did not took him out immediatly before he takes a single shot.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I thought the AI in Killzone 2 was pretty well done, the friendlies actually played the matches as it should be done and actually saved me several times. However, especially in non-FPS games I notice poor AI on teammates, which indeed can be a real pain.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The AI for fighting is relatively easy to make and do well. You perceive enmies as "better" because the only interaction you get with them is the same hostile actions. With allies you see how they act beyond that since they arent fighting you. I can promise you the enemy AI is just as bad, but you never get to see that side of them.

But yes, generally the AI is on your side is also made to be slightly worse as its expeccted that you will be picking up the slack to compensate as difficulty.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
The friendly AI is generally weaker to give the player more of a challenge and give him a better feeling of control, also devs don't want the player to sit back and let the AI handle the difficult parts. However in war games, the weak AI often gives the feeling that you have to fight the entire war yourself, I don't really want to be a one man army sometimes, it can be nice to actually feel like a SMALL part of a international of even continental war.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i also find in alot of games.....i can watch the enemy ai walk right past the friendly ai, who cant shoot, and get into a good position to shoot me.....while i dont think the friendly ai should be the super special trained level of soldier they are supposed to portray, i think should be able to cover firing sectors and keep enemies off of you back while you are coving your sector and keeping you buddies from getting flanked.....nothing upsets me more than holding ground for around a min.....droppin 20 or 30 enemies and have my friendly ai not move from the building im in.....yet i get shot in the back....while im on the top floor of the building where my troops are also hunkered down

CatsareTropic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 CatsareTropic
Member since 2010 • 32 Posts

Ugh... I do wish the friendly AI was better in some games myself.

Specifically Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.