Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Outtammo
Member since 2017 • 27 Posts

Hi! New here and my game backlog is HUGE. It's hard to choose what to play next as I have a ton of games and they're all great. I basically have started most of them up to the first few save points but then move on to a new/different game and do the same thing. I think I have game ADD. Anyway, here's my game backlog and I could use some advice as what I should focus on first, or which order!

The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Evil Within 2, Nier Automata, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II, Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored 2, Hellblade, Tomb Raider (and Rise of Tomb Raider), Dark Souls 3, Resident Evil 7, South Park Fractured but Whole, Batman The Enemy Within, Watch Dogs 2, Darkest Dungeon, Dragon Age Inquisition, Metal Gear Solid 5, XCom 2: War of the Chosen, Planet Coaster, Civ VI (hell, Civ V too), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy X (Remaster, and I've beat it before but back on PS2 like in '02).

So as you can see, I've got a lot of games to choose from and it's difficult. Any advice would be most welcome, like a top 5 list of games I should play or something. I really do have a hard time making a decision.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@outtammo: I never understood these kind of threads, asking suggestions, but lacking context.

Can you at least tell us what are your favorite kinds of games/ genre to narrow down the list? For the most part you have an excellent selection of games in that bundle, but they're very different from each other, and for many cater to different audiences.

If you like RPGs the most- Dark Souls III, Darkest Dungeon, Chrono Trigger, The Witcher III, Nier: Automata

If you are a fan of Survival Horror games, and more importantly, enjoyed the first The Evil Within? The sequel is most certainly worth checking out.

I was going to continue to FPS. . but I don't really follow the rest above, but in future some context would be appreciated if you want anyone here to be helpful.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Playing shorter games first is a great way to clear up your backlog. You can probably beat Hellblade andSouth Park: The Fractured But Whole in like a week.

VRex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 VRex7
Member since 2017 • 49 Posts

I just finished Wolfenstein II and I definitely recommend it. It's something you can finish up pretty quickly too, it's about 10-12 hours

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

Chrono Trigger.

/thread

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Outtammo

I’m sorry. It was late when I posted this and I didn’t think of everything. Anyway my favorite game of all time I think, at least based on hours played is WoW. I still continue to play daily but I’d love to find something else to play.

Favorite types of games are mainly story driven action or adventure games, RPGs, then down to FPS. I was really into Overwatch when it came out but have since taken a break.

It’s hard to pinpoint an exact favorite genre since I enjoy all games. I love platformers too but I don’t have a Switch otherwise I would definitely be playing Zelda and Mario as those are my favorite games of all time along with a few Metroid games.

And no I haven’t played the first Evil Within.

I’m basically looking for something to hold me over until I can afford to buy/find a Switch. :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@outtammo: If you really like stories and RPGs like WoW The Witcher III and Chrono Trigger are likely the best choice from what I can think for you. And I can relate, also getting a Switch in the near future.

I'm not sure how much TEW2 would hold your interest from a story perspective because it's a direct sequel and follows alot of the previous games narrative. Assumes the player knows about Stem, Beacon, Ruvik, and everything else that transpired. It can be enjoyed without playing the original I'd imagine, but you'll be left in the dark about a lot of details. Great game regardless.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Outtammo

Thanks for the replies so far! I really appreciate it. So far I’m leaning towards CT and/or Witcher 3...

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 HardMode88
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

Hellblade is also a decent indie AAA game. It has a nice story too.

willhk665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By willhk665
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I wish there was a pro cycling game..... Like Mountain Biking or something of a sort. If anyone can recommend something that would be cool!
Thanks !

Will K
www.cycleshop.org

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Outtammo

Man you reminded me that I also have Doom!

Anyway I just got the new CoD so I’ll play through the single player first since I heard it was short then move back to my backlog.

Based on responses so far I’m probably going to hit up Witcher 3 next. I’m really close to finishing Batman Arkham Knight and I want to finish but I’m at a boss that requires the Batmobile and it’s absolutely horrid. I really do want to finish eventually since I’ve finished both Asylum and City.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Outtammo

@Enragedhydra: You should def finish Half Life 2 but beware it’s old and it doesn’t look that good compared to games today.

That said it’s still excellent but it’s pretty short unless you play the episodes too.

And big fan of Batman Arkham Asylum! I would say go for that one next.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Outtammo

Also forgot to add Mass Effect 2 and Andromeda. I’ve played ME 1 and finished ME 3 just never got around to part 2.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I've been hooked on indie games these last few weeks, more bang for your buck, and doesn't require huge time commitments like full priced retail games. Easier to just pick up and play. Meanwhile, those great AAA games I'be been passing up are just going to get cheaper, hopefully great Black Friday sales await the October releases I passed on.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

@outtammo said:

Man you reminded me that I also have Doom!

Anyway I just got the new CoD so I’ll play through the single player first since I heard it was short then move back to my backlog.

it's actually really good. i bought it on a whim basically because i was in the mood for a good shooter and the new wolfenstein turned out to be a disappointment. doom is still the king of sp fps this gen but ww2 is really enjoyable so far and its campaign is, up to now, much better than battelfield 1's and infinite warfare's

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Macutchi:

the new wolfenstein turned out to be a disappointment

Really. . I've been asked a few times to give the new Wolfenstein games a chance, solely on the chats I've had regarding how much I really like D00MIV and newer Shadow Warrior games.

Because I don't really have any impressions on either Wolfenstein games, it would be interesting to read your negatives for the new one.

I'll take it with a gain of salt of course, seeing as we've rarely shared similar taste in games previously, but reading your perspective would be a nice change from the glowing praise I've seen The New Colossus receive :)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

AC origin uncharted lost legasy hellblade

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I still have to finish Persona 5, the latest Star Ocean and Tales of Berseria, kinda skipping between them. Then there is Mario Odyssey with which I'm pretty much done, I justs kip the speed run Moons because I hate speed running. Next up will be the new South park, new Assassins Creed, new Pokémon as well as Fire Emblem Warriors, Blue Reflection, Battle Chasers and some I probably missed

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

@Macutchi:

the new wolfenstein turned out to be a disappointment

Really. . I've been asked a few times to give the new Wolfenstein games a chance, solely on the chats I've had regarding how much I really like D00MIV and newer Shadow Warrior games.

Because I don't really have any impressions on either Wolfenstein games, it would be interesting to read your negatives for the new one.

I'll take it with a gain of salt of course, seeing as we've rarely shared similar taste in games previously, but reading your perspective would be a nice change from the glowing praise I've seen The New Colossus receive :)

ok my take on it is this -

it started well enough - the first level where you try and escape a submarine whilst injured in a wheelchair is pretty novel. it's a bit disorientating but it creates a nice bit of tension and feels a real against-the-odds achievement when you manage it - but that novelty soon wears off and what you're left with is a pretty mediocre shooter with an occasional glimmer of something inventive or cool.

there's a lot of repetition and irritating mechanics. the "signal detected" stuff for example. every time you enter a new area you get icons on your screen saying a radio signal has been detected. each represents a nazi commander officer that will radio in for reinforcements if you're spotted. they have numbers within that increase / decrease based on your proximity to the commander. as a one off feature it would have been fine, but over and over again gets tedious very quickly. wave after wave of same looking enemies does so too.

the shooting lacks the polish and precision of doom. the main guns you'll use are pretty bog standard. there's no prone when there really should be. there were situations when i was hiding undetected, a body was discovered far away from me and suddenly all the enemies were alerted to my exact location. there's tons and tons of ammo and health everywhere but rather than have to just walk over it to pick it up you have to press a button each time. over and over and over again. you have to manually reload your gun. etc. etc. etc. these things might sound petty on their own but collectively they bug you enough to really start to detract from the experience.

it's not horrible and has its moments but as a shooter it isn't fit to lace doom's boots.

@RSM-HQ said:

I'll take it with a gain of salt of course

lol. doom is still far and away the best shooter of the last few years (finally, something we agree upon?) ;)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RSM-HQ

@Macutchi: Yeah a lot of that seems odd.

Manual only reload is a weird thing to have in modern games, seems very 90's. And odd stealth brings the question of why have it if it's that flawed? That to me reads like the games merits are for the wild shooting and in your face storytelling. The latter to myself is no replacement to solid gameplay. . So if I don't like firing the gun and feels off, that's a big fault in the game.

The paragraph about tedium is always something I either would have not experienced and fully enjoyed, or find twice as annoying so that I can't really get a thought about. Eitherway I'll have to try one of them for myself if just to give my own positives and negatives.

lol. doom is still far and away the best shooter of the last few years (finally, something we agree upon?) ;)

Well. . I do rarely like FPS games but D00M was a fine exception. Haven't enjoyed a FPS that much since the original Bioshock, though Shadow Warrior 2 was close.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Outtammo

Appreciate the feedback! I’ve decided to jump back in Batman Arkham Knight and finish it off since I’m so close to the end.

After that I’m going to get back into Witcher 3 and maybe Nier or Dishonored 2 or XCom 2 on the side so I don’t get burned out on Witcher.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#28 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I figure you can't go wrong with Metal Gear Solid 5.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Outtammo

Haha! Yeah. I’ve been “xcom-ed” more than a few times. It’s fun though.

And I’ve played a couple of hours of Nier already and I’m stuck at a shooting level in my ship. I forgot the term for it but it uses both analog sticks and it’s driving me insane so I put Nier to the side.

Same for Metal Gear. I’m like 5 missions in and it didn’t really grab me like other Metal Gear games but maybe I just need to progress further.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Outtammo

Update. Finished Arkham Knight main story mode and it was just kind of meh. There is an epilogue next that is optional but I don’t think I’ll do that.

Still debating on next game to settle into. Between Witcher 3, XCom, Dark Souls 3 or Nier: Automata. It’s really hard for me to pick one so I’m giving it some more thought...

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I suggest Batman Arkham Knight. A very good game.

But you could go with Tomb Raider 2013 or Rise.

And also Wolfenstein 2 is a good choice.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Outtammo

@gmak2442: Pretty much finished Batman and the main story already.

Xabi1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xabi1998
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

I just finished Wolfenstein II over about 11am

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Outtammo

I’ve bought a few new games because I just can’t help myself so I thought I would add them to my running log of games to play:

Injustice 2

Hitman GOTY

Nioh (PC)

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (for my 7 year old but it’s not bad)

Injustice is cool as hell but playing online is iffy right now. Hitman is really dope and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. Nioh seems cool, like a Dark Souls game, but I’ve only played like 10 mins of that.

I also started another round of Metroid Prime because it’s like one of my favorite games ever and even by today’s standards it’s amazing. May play part 2 or 3 instead since I never beat those back in the day...

KcMoBearGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KcMoBearGaming
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

I would suggest Call of Duty WWll. Great game and back to the old school call of duty!!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Games like dragon Age and witcher 3 are very long and take a lot of time to get through. Depends on what sort of mood your in sometimes I enjoy playing a shorter game in between long rpg type Games. Tomb raider games are always worth a play through.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Spam necromancy.

ClearAsMud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ClearAsMud
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Games like the Witcher, Dragon Age and Dishonored are good, but like a lot of the games in your list, require a lot of time to complete. If you're feeling like you've got a backlog of games, it might be worth going through some of the shorter length games first, like tomb raider and hellblade.