PSX or Dreamcast?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Dartagnan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -Dartagnan-
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

While growing up, I was a diehard Nintendo fan, and missed out on the Playstation and Sega consoles. Lately, I have become quite interested in these two systems, and have decided to buy one, and get a couple big hits. I just can't decide which one.

There is really two things i am interested in, old-school fighters (to play with a couple of buddies), and rpgs. I was leaning towards the PSX, considering it had the Final fantasy series (which I have never played, ever), and chrono cross(played trigger to death). It also has street fighter alpha 3 and guilty gear, both of which I enjoy.

I haven't looked into Dreamcast much, but I've heard from a couple of sources that it has a great line-up of quality fighters, and I think I can get a hold of some arcade sticks to go with it.

PS: I know about emulators, I just enjoy original consoles (I get to sit on my couch).

Cheers,

-D'artagnan

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
they're both great, but you'd be best off with PS for now, but definitely look into the dreamcast later
-Dartagnan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Dartagnan-

Would you happen to know if there are arcade sticks for playstation? and if so, are they good quality?

cheers

-D'artagnan

Gaming_Retro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Gaming_Retro
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts

PlayStation - Great games

DreamCast - Great graphics for it's time.

I would recommend the PSX though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ff54ab0475a5
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts

Would you happen to know if there are arcade sticks for playstation? and if so, are they good quality?

cheers

-D'artagnan

-Dartagnan-

there are, but i haven't used any, so i can't help you with the quality

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
The PSX was the best.
PS2_PC_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PS2_PC_FAN
Member since 2004 • 969 Posts
Dreamcast hands down.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts

I love both. I have reasons.

Playstation- it has large numbers of RPGs that I love them.

Dreamcast- it has great fighting games that my friends and I have great fun.

Both have great arcade sticks- Hori, and Ascii arcade sticks. Both are expensive and hard to find. You may ask any Shoryuken users at Shoryuken.com.

93jam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 93jam
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

Dreamcast.

RPG's- Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Phantasy Star Online, Evolution Series, Shenmue

Fighters- Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2, Power Stone 1 and 2, Soul Caliber, Capcom vs SNK

Others- Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sega Rally 2, House of the dead, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi

Those are just the ones I remember right now. Sega Smash Pack a collection of 12 Genesis games, 2 of which are RPG's and 4 are fighters. The Dreamcast goes for quality over quanity. Try to find a good bundle on ebay. You can normaly find good deals on games at half.com. Make sure you get Sega brand VMU's and rumble packs. Hope you enjoy whichever system you choose to get.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

just find your self a used ps3 60 gb model ,, its bc with all ps1 ps2 games lol

but i go for ps1 over dc any day of the week trust me on that one

i have over 100 games on my ps1

nfs 3 spyro crash nfs high stakes nfs 2 nfs v rally nfs porche

etc lots of good games driver 2 is pretty good

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nVidiaGaMer

I love both. I have reasons.

Playstation- it has large numbers of RPGs that I love them.

Dreamcast- it has great fighting games that my friends and I have great fun.

Both have great arcade sticks- Hori, and Ascii arcade sticks. Both are expensive and hard to find. You may ask any Shoryuken users at Shoryuken.com.

DeafNYCPlayer

The PS1 was the console known for its fighting games.

There was Tekkens 1-3, Soul Blade, Bloody Roars 1 and 2, Battle Arena, Street Fighters 1-3 (along with some other editions), Rival Schools, Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2, Darkstalkers, Dragon Ball GT, Wu-Tang Shaolin Style, X-Men Mutant Academy (was a decent fighting game), some Marvel vs. Capcom, and many more.

zpxkjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 zpxkjp
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
PSX gets my vote.
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
PSX man it has what youre looking for, quality RPGs and fighting games.
rpgmadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 rpgmadboy
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts

PSX definetly wins.
Dreamcast barely has anything against it. but if you are buying a console for mainly RPG'S it has to be the PSX.

Rpg's on the PSX are (off the top of my head) :
Final fantasy series
Grandia
Chrono cross
Xenogears
Star ocean second story
Valkyrie profile
Kouldelka
Alundra 1 and 2
Tales of eternia
Tales of destiny
Legend of dragoon
Legend of legaia
Saga Frontier 1 and 2

There are probably quite afew more but these are the ones i can think of right now.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
Dreamcast 8)

Dreamcast Games - Toy CommanderDreamcast Games - Power StoneDreamcast Games - Capcom VS. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001Dreamcast Games - Power Stone 2Dreamcast Games - Fur FightersDreamcast Games - HeadhunterDreamcast Games - The House of the Dead 2Dreamcast Games - Jet Grind RadioDreamcast Games - MDK 2Dreamcast Games - Resident Evil: Code: VeronicaDreamcast Games - ShenmueDreamcast Games - Sonic AdventureDreamcast Games - Sonic Adventure 2Dreamcast Games - SoulCaliburDreamcast Games - Street Fighter Alpha 3
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah go with the PS first. you can find ps1 games at goodwill and online really cheap usualy. the graphics will be pretty bad on most of them (compared to today). you should be able to find a decent arcade stick too. and be sure to get a ps1 memory card, since ps2 cards are not compatible, and theres no internal storage at all.

and if you decide to get a Dreamcast, be sure to get Soul Calibur, it is AWESOME. and there are some other cool games for 4 players like Gauntlet and NBA Showtime.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Get them both. Both have amazing libraries.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

depends, if you're gettin' into homebrew games the Dreamcast is the way to go.

I've always disliked playstation, and haven't played much on it but I know it had a lot of decent/good RPG's. I knw PS has some good fighters on it but I don't know what it's got.

Dreamcast has some good RPG's and tons of godly fighters, TONS.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

I personally love my PS1. It's my favorite console. I am currently in the process of trying to find a Dreamcast since I lost my old one several years back. Personally, I'd buy the PS1. If you're an RPG fan, I think you're missing out on greatness if you've never played the PS1 Final Fantasy games, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Legend of the Dragoon (to hell with Gamespot's review), and many, many other great PS1 RPGs that were released.

Chilled_AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chilled_AB
Member since 2008 • 568 Posts
Both are awesome and have memorable games but I reckon PSX is slightly better in terms of quality games but I have both :D
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nVidiaGaMer

I've always disliked playstation, and haven't played much on it but I know it had a lot of decent/good RPG's. I knw PS has some good fighters on it but I don't know what it's got.

krunkfu2

What killed the Dreamcast was its lack of quality and quantity of games. Sure there were some good games but after the initial first wave nothing emerged and so it failed.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
dreamcast
-Dartagnan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Dartagnan-

Well, it looks like I'm going to buy the PSX for two reasons.

A) people have made a much stronger argument for it

b) no dreamcast's at my local store

I may end up buying a modchip on top of that, considering I found a site that has them for a reasonable price.

cheers, and thanks for the help/opinions

-D'artagnan

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
[QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

nVidiaGaMer

What killed the Dreamcast was its lack of quality and quantity of games. Sure there were some good games but after the initial first wave nothing emerged and so it failed.

Are you kidding? That thing had good games comin' out 24/7

SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SmashBrosLegend
[QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

nVidiaGaMer

Sorry, but no. SEGA's relationship with third parties, SEGA's public perception, the release of the PS2, easy piracy, an out-dated media format, and SEGA's lack of money after the Saturn killed the Dreamcast. It was mostly SEGA's public perception. After the commercial failures of the 32X, SEGA CD, Game Gear, Nomad, and Saturn, people will unwilling to trust SEGA this time. The same goes for third parties.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

easily psx for you. unless you are diehard fan of sega, i dont see any reason to buy dreamcast. just for few fighters ? lol boring

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chazer127
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts
I would pick a dreamcast over a PS1 any day, hell I would pick it over the PS2! the graphics were way better than the PS1 and the games library was ace! it also had On-line play and could surf the net! it was basically an older version of the Xbox
willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
Get a playstation one it's all better
Franky-the-bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Franky-the-bat
Member since 2006 • 977 Posts

I have both consoles.

The Dreamcast has an incredible library of games considering it was only around for 2 years.

The psx has my vote though just for the sheer amount of games it has, there are so many forgotten gems on the psx that people have forgotten about.
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
get a ps2
toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

I'd say both.

PSX: Had some great games, especially some awesome rpgs that are now difficult to find for a reasonable price.

Dreamcast: Great graphics for the time. Some awesome games like house of the dead 2, sonic adventure, sega rally championship 2, crazy taxi, worms armageddon, soul calibur, etc. Too bad all my of my DC games are so badly scratched they won't even work on my DC anymore, except for worms and maybe crazy taxi. :S

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"][QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

SmashBrosLegend

Sorry, but no. SEGA's relationship with third parties, SEGA's public perception, the release of the PS2, easy piracy, an out-dated media format, and SEGA's lack of money after the Saturn killed the Dreamcast. It was mostly SEGA's public perception. After the commercial failures of the 32X, SEGA CD, Game Gear, Nomad, and Saturn, people will unwilling to trust SEGA this time. The same goes for third parties.

Its a fact that there were no games coming out. The Dreamcasts library of games has nothing in it. Sega fans -_-

PSX > Dreamcast

PS2 > Dreamcast

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"][QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

SmashBrosLegend

And yet Sega had the Genesis years before Sony entered the gaming world and Sony was received very well (and trusted).

Ante_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ante_b
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts
I was an Nintendo fan like you when i grew up. but now later on i'm much more into playstation. You MUST check out Metal gear solid, Final Fantasy VII,VIII,IX Tekken series, Castlevania symphony of the night and many more excellent games. Well i have never owned an Dreamcast console but it sure looks interesting. Is shenmnue still worth playing 2008? Everyone tells me that i must play it.
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SmashBrosLegend
[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"][QUOTE="krunkfu2"]

nVidiaGaMer

Its a fact that there were no games coming out. The Dreamcasts library of games has nothing in it. Sega fans -_-

PSX > Dreamcast

PS2 > Dreamcast

I'm not debating the quality of the consoles, I'm telling you why the Dreamcast failed. You're misinformed. That is all.
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SmashBrosLegend

nVidiaGaMer

And yet Sega had the Genesis years before Sony entered the gaming world and Sony was received very well (and trusted).

You're forgetting that SEGA's reputation took a hit after the Nomad, 32X, CD, and Game Gear before the Saturn was released. Sony swooped in and took off fast because they had the third party support. They got the support because no one trusted SEGA and Nintendo refused to switch away from cartridges (that's why Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, and other such games/series went to PS1 instead of N64). CD-ROMs offered better sound quality and more storage space, along with cheaper manufacturing costs. It was either SEGA or Sony for the third-parties to turn to, and SEGA was in a terrible position. Please inform yourself.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#38 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
You really need to get both. There are tons of unmissable games on both consoles.
tm0054

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tm0054
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

You really need to get both. There are tons of unmissable games on both consoles.BuryMe

I agree- used Dreamcasts can be found for next to nothing and the games that came out for it were amazing. If you don't have a PS2 I would pick one up instead of an original PSX since you'd be able to play both PS1 and PS2 games on it (and the controller is fairly identicle).

xanderenigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xanderenigma
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

I think the PS is the better choice.

Its got a million games most of which are great!
Dreamcast has the same games just for dreamcast...
But the PS is great!

Thor9754_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Thor9754_2
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Dreamcast is the way to go by far if you are comparing those two systems.

But the real question should be, DC or PS2... DC is in the same generation as PS2, and is a generation ahead of the PSX (the Sega SATURN would be the PSX equivalent)... And the answer to that question, for me at least, is DC over PS2 hands-down...

So like I said, if the choice is between PSX and DC, its a no-brainer...

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#42 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Dreamcast is still amazing to this day. And in Japan, there are STILL new games being made for the console because of how dirt-cheap the DC SDK's are there, especially compared to the PS1/2 SDK's.
GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
PSX hands down.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

nVidiaGaMer

PSX > Dreamcast

PS2 > Dreamcast

I'm not a Sega fan and I agree that the Dreamcast had quality games. Piracy and the release of the PS2 killed the Dreamcast.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#46 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well i own every console so ,, ya i my self would go ps1 , theres more titles to choose from dc has a very small library of quality titles, aside from the fighting genre like you said ,, very little rpgs , pso needs online, and thats been discontinued for both gamecube and dc

so psx is your choice it has for rpgs

final fantasy chrono trigger parasite eve 1and 2 vagrant story star ocean etc

fighters

mortal kombat

street fighter series

im sure theres more unpopular ones you may end up liking with that big library those are the 2 main ones they have ,, just like any other console, i dont know if ps1 has these but n64 does-dark rift , dual heroes xenia warrior princess , those are a few fighting games on n64 , also fighting force you might want to check this site to see if any of these titles are on dc or ps1 , because these are some good games ones like those virtua cop/street of rage games ,, mixed in , it stops on a scene until you clear it , then it moves on , the streets of rage part is the use of alot of weapons and stuff

king-micky207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 king-micky207
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
DreamCast all the way, long live sega :D
Avatar image for metalgear-solid
metalgear-solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 metalgear-solid
Member since 2004 • 7001 Posts
Just so you guys know, a PSX is a Playstation 2 media player.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
I always liked the playstation as I enjoyed playing the games but im not sure why I didnt like the DC. It was proably the lack of games
In_Vino_Verita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 In_Vino_Verita
Member since 2007 • 1702 Posts
ive never played the dreamcast and i own a PSX, so i say get the playstation cuz its the all around better buy